• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I enjoy writing more when I set myself a deadline. Currently, I have two ongoing My Little Pony G5 fanfics. One takes me months to write each chapter, and for the other, I challenged myself to write a chapter every day this month. Guess which one I'm enjoying more.

I do apologize for the lack of stories from me. I am having a bit of a severe case of Writer's Block. Anyone got advice on overcoming it?
Sometimes there's really nothing you can do, and writer's block will just come and go. But for me personally, aside from just pushing through it, if it's for a fic I'm already writing, I like to see if I can skip to another scene and just come back to the part that's been troublesome later! Sometimes focusing on something that feels more 'right' to write for a while helps to keep your brain working smoothly, at least that's what I think.

In terms of plot ideas, there are lots of long lists of those on Tumblr and the like if you know where to look, they're especially nice for writing drabbles! Our Weekly Prompt Thread is also a long-running great resource I'd also recommend :enzap:

Experimenting with writing styles or formats as a whole might also be fun? You could try to challenge yourself to write in the style of a specific author, or limit yourself to a specific amount of words (like a 100-word drabble), or try to just go through the dictionary and look for a specific word to base your piece on, things like that. Thinking outside the box to make writing more fun helps a lot I think!

I do apologize for the lack of stories from me. I am having a bit of a severe case of Writer's Block. Anyone got advice on overcoming it?
Doing a little bit of lore-building helps me. Adding to the world in which your story takes place can give you the ideas you need.

Sometimes there's really nothing you can do, and writer's block will just come and go. But for me personally, aside from just pushing through it, if it's for a fic I'm already writing, I like to see if I can skip to another scene and just come back to the part that's been troublesome later! Sometimes focusing on something that feels more 'right' to write for a while helps to keep your brain working smoothly, at least that's what I think.

In terms of plot ideas, there are lots of long lists of those on Tumblr and the like if you know where to look, they're especially nice for writing drabbles! Our Weekly Prompt Thread is also a long-running great resource I'd also recommend :enzap:

Experimenting with writing styles or formats as a whole might also be fun? You could try to challenge yourself to write in the style of a specific author, or limit yourself to a specific amount of words (like a 100-word drabble), or try to just go through the dictionary and look for a specific word to base your piece on, things like that. Thinking outside the box to make writing more fun helps a lot I think!
Doing a little bit of lore-building helps me. Adding to the world in which your story takes place can give you the ideas you need.
Also maybe working on something smaller scale (like a short story) could also help if having trouble with a larger/longer story can help, right?

Here is a question that just came to me: How much planning does a Short Story need compared to a novel? I would like some thoughts on this, please.
Counter question: when referring to either of these, what do you see as the projected length of either? I believe ultimately the answer your looking for is a bit subjective, but an approximate idea of how many pages constitutes a short story vs a novel for your sample size may help me ponder this.

Counter question: when referring to either of these, what do you see as the projected length of either? I believe ultimately the answer your looking for is a bit subjective, but an approximate idea of how many pages constitutes a short story vs a novel for your sample size may help me ponder this.
I never really thought of that. We know that Short Stories have 10,000 words or fewer. Novels can be however long one wants/needs them to be...
So I guess the answer to my own question about planning is that it depends on the contents of the story? Because here is the thing, a Short Story has a maximum length, while novels technically don't. Therefore... Short Stories would be easier to plan because they are short?

I never really thought of that. We know that Short Stories have 10,000 words or fewer. Novels can be however long one wants/needs them to be...
So I guess the answer to my own question about planning is that it depends on the contents of the story? Because here is the thing, a Short Story has a maximum length, while novels technically don't. Therefore... Short Stories would be easier to plan because they are short?
I think a lot depends on your personal definition. For example, I'd say a fic with less than 15 chapters of reasonable length (Max 4500 words each) would be a short story - personally I keep all my chapters, regardless of type, under 3500 words where possible because mobile users suffer otherwise.

You also have to consider what the short story is in context to. Like is it a short story compared to the main fiction, if it is linked to a main fiction? Or is it a short story in its own right?

I think a lot depends on your personal definition. For example, I'd say a fic with less than 15 chapters of reasonable length (Max 4500 words each) would be a short story - personally I keep all my chapters, regardless of type, under 3500 words where possible because mobile users suffer otherwise.

You also have to consider what the short story is in context to. Like is it a short story compared to the main fiction, if it is linked to a main fiction? Or is it a short story in its own right?
This is certainly one of those things that is subjective. Something that I should honestly decide for myself.

Also, how do mobile users suffer if the chapters are not under 3,500 words?

Unless you have a way to add markers to individual parts of a chapter or something (which I have yet to see anywhere, actually; certainly not here on Bulbagarden, at least), sorting through thousands of words on a tiny phone screen with a potentially very finicky touchscreen and browser tends not to be a very fun experience, no.

Not necessarily. I've found in my experience as a writer that complexity is as much about themes, plotting, and the actual kind of story that you want to tell regardless of however many words that may take. Also note that what qualifies as "short" when it comes to stories in general is rather arbitrary as are the supposed definitions of what is short; something that's 10,001 words instead of, say, 9,998 doesn't just become a novella just like that, right? You could just as easily call something that's 20,000 words a really long short story if you wanted to, especially if it's intended to be read in one take and has no chapters. With having chapters being more of what defines what a novel is, I think (or a traditional one, anyway); it's more of a format for telling stories more than merely something that passes an, again, largely arbitrary word limit. Just as some stories may work better as a comic book or manga than a novel, or as a serial than a novel, or as a movie than a novel, there are indeed some stories that would work better as short stories than novels. That decision is really one that you'll have to make for yourself, I think, based on your understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of each format and on your personal preferences, the latter of which might be more important than you think.

This is certainly one of those things that is subjective. Something that I should honestly decide for myself.

There is more text to read before a visible break - and unlike on PC, you can't easily save a specific line where you are up to. :) Like Infinite said, the overwhelming amount of text can make it hard to manage.

You know, I have come to a realization about doing a playthrough for ideas for the fanfic: I don't necessarily need to beat the game. I just need to play far enough to get to the location where I want to have the story be at. Like, if one decides to have the story revolve around contests in Ruby/Sapphire, then they would just have to play up to Lilycove City since that is where the master Rank contests are held if I recall.

Last edited:
So, one thing that bothers me is that I take forever to update my fics. Mostly because inspiration strikes on its own, like I get this sudden urge and then it fades. Or it happens when I am not available to write. Like at work. Pretty annoying. But when I do write, it feels awesome. Like I am on a damn roll and it's such a nice feeling!

Also, I am happy that my long fic got a kudos and bookmark at Ao3 today! It shows that I need to get back into updating it. At least, I am glad people like my work. I have a good chunk of the next chapter written, just need to finish it up with some tweaking.

I think my writer's block stems from wanting to write short stories, but not wanting them to expand to the point where they become full-blown novels. Would having a hard chapter limit help with that (what I mean is having a max limit of 10 chapters [no more than that])?

I think my writer's block stems from wanting to write short stories, but not wanting them to expand to the point where they become full-blown novels. Would having a hard chapter limit help with that (what I mean is having a max limit of 10 chapters [no more than that])?
It might work. It depends perhaps set a soft and a hard cap. That way if it goes over you won't feel too bad about it.

Back
Top Bottom