• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

After Hoenn - Will the Remakes get Remakes?

The remakes themselves certainly won't be getting remakes, at least within the next ten years. Gaming technology has reached the point where the distance between the asymptotic limit and the quality of games now is high enough that future consoles will not be incredibly more advanced than the current consoles. This reduces the necessity for remakes.

That said, GBA quality games are now low quality compared to 3DS graphics and gameplay. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw FRLG be remade in eight to ten years, but I would call it unlikely.

After that, I echo the sentiments of many in this thread -- they'll be rereleased on the eShop.

Why would Game Freak waste their time and energy on remaking past remakes? That would be ridiculous.

I'm seeing Kanto being remade next generation, or even the one after that, but with Johto as well and maybe a few more areas. We all know how much Gamefreak loves Kanto.

I don't think FRLG/HGSS should be remade but just have Kanto and Jhoto based games done in 3D so a different story takes place in the region. I have no interest in buying remakes of remakes and that's saying something.

I'm sure the 20th anniversary in 2016, will give us a Kanto based game, be it FRLG remake or sequel.
(I'm hoping for a sequel)

Now that ORAS have been confirmed as RS remakes, I am afraid to say that I wouldn't put FRLG remakes past GameFreak.

It's clear they are too lazy to come up with something new for each revisit to old Regions, and always have to rely on remaking what's already there with some new bells and whistles, or reusing the same old "Evil Team is back" plotline used in all sequels so far. However, even that rehashed plot is at least something new or has its own spins most of the time, while a remake is the same damn thing. Granted the fact that ORAS are remakes may be due to Nintendo pressuring GameFreak into releasing it ASAP, but while I am a tad comprehensive of the situation, it still sticks out like a sore thumb.

I hope to see something other than a FRLG remake for the next time they decide to shove Kanto down our throats, but I will not not hope for it too much. The other alternative is more likely, afraid to say.

Gens usually last 4 years, remember 2016 is 20th anniversary

2013 = XY
2014 = RSemakes
2015 = Z
2016 = Red and Blue/Green remakes

Fixed it. There's no chance it will be Yellow. It's gonna be the original pair. The only question is on whether they do Green or Blue or both (or possibly having Green in Japan and Blue in USA, but being the exact same game besides the title, which I think is very possible given that is how it happened in the 90s). But I completely agree. This is the setup I've been predicting for over a year now. So far, I've been right. I actually correctly predicted ORAS's release date, but it was pretty simple given their Japanese anniversary is November 21st. And with the 20th anniversary of Pokemon coming up and GF's (and many fans') obsession with Kanto, they will probably take advantage of the timing to release new RG/RB remakes. Not only would it be the 20th anniversary, but it would also be the first time having Kanto in 3D on the new engine, which will be a big deal.

How Kanto Remakes Could be Handled

With the anouncement of ORAS people have been talking about wether or not Kanto remakes will come out. I have a cool idea for this although it won't really work considering japan had red, blue, and green. How this would work is there'd be a trio. Pokemon Green, Water Blue, and Fire Red/Red 2. Pokemon green would be unique in it wouldn't be a remake but be just like the originals except for bugs. No types added, no special attack/defense split, no physical/special type split, no new mons. Pokemon Water Blue would be a plain old remake. Pokemon Fire Red/Red 2 would be a sequel. If they didn't add fire it would allow them to have an easy name for it's remake in the future. I know this isn't possible but would you guys like this idea?

Re: How Kanto Remakes Could be Handled

I'd like that. It'd be pretty cool. Except what if they made one of the versions a prequel instead? Like back when Oak was a young lad or something?

I'd like that. It'd be pretty cool. Except what if they made one of the versions a prequel instead? Like back when Oak was a young lad or something?

thatd be a great idea too. the problem with mine is japan already has pokemon blue and green

That'd be awful, fairy type and megas supposedly discovered/exclusive to Kalos, now we see they running around Hoenn at least 5 years prior, any prequel featuring Oak would have them then also feature in Kanto about 50 years prior.

That'd be awful, fairy type and megas supposedly discovered/exclusive to Kalos, now we see they running around Hoenn at least 5 years prior, any prequel featuring Oak would have them then also feature in Kanto about 50 years prior.

Hmm. maybe they could have them be a secret? so kanto mons that are now fairy would have a ? where that type is because oak thinks those mons have a type they dont know about? it would be like them still having fairy type but noone knows

okemon green would be unique in it wouldn't be a remake but be just like the originals except for bugs. No types added, no special attack/defense split, no physical/special type split, no new mons.

My biggest concern with this is -- how do you get it to interface with the rest of the games? Are there new moves? How do you check to make sure that no one hacks in the rest of the pokemon? Wouldn't green then have to have -every- Gen I pokemon, with no version exclusives?

Mostly it boils down to: how do you handle the trading protocol? You either have to go for inconvenient or... breaking the invariant of the game you've set up, neither of which are optimal. (It could also just. not trade with other versions, which is something i don't think they'll do)

Back
Top Bottom