• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol.5

The reason I say its obsolete is that the headphone jacks takes up quite a bit of room when tech is shrinking. It has little to do the choice and more to do with reluctance to adapt and nostalgic association of the early 2000s with freedom. Nobody uses Floppy Discs or even flash drives anymore. They're big and in the way.

I'm glad Apple made that call otherwise nobody would have. The lack of a 3.5 mm jack doesn't imply the absolute need to use wireless headphones, it means that if necessary adapters can be used until people finally let go. They cost next to nothing at any convenience store.

..well i do guess shelling out 300 bucks for a pair of wireless headphones that run out of juice more quickly than they charge is admittedly more feasible than literal surgery, yes
i'm a bit salty because this is something that personally affects me bc my absolute best pair of headphones (and most ones accessible to me in the first place - wireless earbuds are more common than headphones from what i can tell) are, in fact, becoming obsolete and i dislike that because i really have no control over the way my ears are in the first place?
though no, i have nothing against plenty of recent technological advances, this is just one i disagree with because, yeah, 3.5 mm. it's not really that hard to include and genuinely opens up accessibility but whatever, agree to disagree i suppose
in the end it's up to tech companies. they're going to do whatever maximizes their profit. things like "opening up accessibility" are useless to them unless it'll directly contribute to increasing the amount of money they make.

Sorry but I am extremely shocked, what do you mean iPhones don't have a headphone jack?! They haven't for 10 years?!! The concept of a phone without a jack is so weird... and I hate that I know the exact purpose :/

Edit for context: Apple isn't popular here so I'm not very knowledgeable of their bullshit haha

I can see why you would include headphone jacks on budget releases but not flagship ones. People buying phones on a budget are more likely to value having the cheaper option of wired headphones available whereas someone who is springing for the full flagship phone is more likely to have the money to get Airpods and is more likely to have an inclination to buy more high tech gadgets and less likely to value the option of using wired headphones. (I know I'm stereotyping here, but marketing's goal is to find commonalities among demographics.)

EDIT: changed phrasing so as to make it less definitive. More about what opinions people are likely to have than making judgements about who they are.

I have no stake in headphone jacks vs wireless connections except on the basis of budget. I rarely use headphones, but when I do its a ratty old pair from 6-ish years ago. So I would appricate if the port stuck around. It might also be notable that headphone jacks are fragile to an extent? My current laptop got some silica gel stuck inside and trying to dig it out only broke the bead. So now the jack is on the dysfunctional side. That wouldn't have happened if I went wireless.

+1 on Stylus usage. Nice to have a change of pace, good for doodling, and they make many frantic sliding games less intensive on my hands.

Last edited:
Sorry but I am extremely shocked, what do you mean iPhones don't have a headphone jack?! They haven't for 10 years?!! The concept of a phone without a jack is so weird... and I hate that I know the exact purpose :/

Edit for context: Apple isn't popular here so I'm not very knowledgeable of their bullshit haha
I was actually slightly wrong on the date: the first iPhone without a headphone jack was the iPhone 7 in 2016.

The reason I say its obsolete is that the headphone jacks takes up quite a bit of room when tech is shrinking.
Headphone jacks barely take up any room, hell phones haven't even gotten any thinner with their removal.

The most recent iPhone model to have the 3.5 mm headphone jack was the iPhone SE (2016), which had a thickness of 7.6 mm.

Out of the most recent iPhone models (15, 15 Plus, 15 Pro, and 15 Pro Max), the absolute thinnest ones are the 15 and 15 Plus, which have a thickness of...

7.8 mm.

They are 0.2 mm thicker than the most recent iPhone to have a headphone jack.

The 15 Pro and 15 Pro Max are even thicker, they're 8.25 mm thick.

i don't really care either way between headphone jack vs no headphone jack. my phone doesn't have one (it's a pixel 7), but i haven't really used a pair of wired earbuds in several years anyway, so the transition to bluetooth earbuds/headphones was pretty natural for me. i can see why folks might still want their inclusion though; apparently audio quality in wired headphones is better and, of course, there's less worry about battery lifespan.

i've long made my peace with bluetooth headsets though, it is what it is.

..well i do guess shelling out 300 bucks for a pair of wireless headphones that run out of juice more quickly than they charge is admittedly more feasible than literal surgery, yes
i'm a bit salty because this is something that personally affects me bc my absolute best pair of headphones (and most ones accessible to me in the first place - wireless earbuds are more common than headphones from what i can tell) are, in fact, becoming obsolete and i dislike that because i really have no control over the way my ears are in the first place?
though no, i have nothing against plenty of recent technological advances, this is just one i disagree with because, yeah, 3.5 mm. it's not really that hard to include and genuinely opens up accessibility but whatever, agree to disagree i suppose
in the end it's up to tech companies. they're going to do whatever maximizes their profit. things like "opening up accessibility" are useless to them unless it'll directly contribute to increasing the amount of money they make.
I'm terribly sorry for being insensitive. In a case such as yours I think the presence of adapters help immeasurably. A disability warrants accessibility far more than mere choice. My only grips with the 3.5 mm jack is that its really old. Tech companies can easily shift to a smaller port yet choose not to do that, resulting in the debate that has occupied this thread. I think Apple had the right idea in merging with the charging port but the fact that their changing port is not universal results in the mess we have now.

The way I've seen some Apple fans react to them having to move over to USB-C is just like...were y'all this way when Apple dropped the 30-pin and went to Lightning?

(What I personally never understood is, unless I'm misremembering cuz I don't use Apple products, is why in the hell did some of their iPad models use Lightning and some use USB-C???)

The way I've seen some Apple fans react to them having to move over to USB-C is just like...were y'all this way when Apple dropped the 30-pin and went to Lightning?
It can be boiled down to being upset over having to change chargers. The transition between generations always results in tech waste. If someone has been using the same charger for years then have to switch to a entirely new one it can be rather jarring. It doesn't help that these phones don't come with chargers in the box anymore (much like newer 3DS models).
(What I personally never understood is, unless I'm misremembering cuz I don't use Apple products, is why in the hell did some of their iPad models use Lightning and some use USB-C???)
In terms of the iPads , the shift is supposedly due to faster transfer and charging speeds with USB-C because of the larger size. You piqued my curiosity so I looked it up.

I type all this as I threw down a USB-C charger in rage at work because my phone hit 19%.

Has anyone else wanted to hold down both Carmine and Kieran to cut off off their face bangs?

I'm not interested in really going back to this whole wireless vs wired headphones debate but let me just say that I am currently at the library and all I had to do to get my headphones working with this PC to listen to audio was just plug them in to the headphone jack.

I know, I didn't have to do anything else - if I even could because I'm pretty sure they locked down the Bluetooth settings on all these PCs so you can't even use wireless anything if you wanted to. I just plugged the cable into the standardized port that's been a standard for decades. (Hell if you count the origin of the audio jack entirely, this standard originates from the 19th century and it's lasted so long because it just works)

Playing Pokémon Go on a not so hot day is an experience that can't be compared. After painting my neighbourhood blue I'm laying i wait in case anyone wants to try taking one of my gyms from me.

EDIT: A random zoomer on a bike waved at me. It was such a pure and kind gesture. I've grown so used to people being dismissive at best that random acts of kindness make me blush.

Last edited:
I have a jar of Marmite in my cupboard I purchased for nostalgia, then I tried some and remembered why I hated it growing up.

Back
Top Bottom