• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol.5

oh my god yeah. so i work in to-go at a restaurant and i hate when people don't tip. it's not as big a deal as a server because we actually get an ok wage to compensate for the less tips, and i know a lot of people don't think you should tip to-go but like. people will have huge $200+ (the other week there was a $700 order that did this) orders and give us NOTHING and it pisses me off. you can clearly afford it. like i said it's not as big a deal as it could be, but tips are still a huge part of the revenue for our position.

and yeah. like. i wish tipping wasn't necessary but with how shit is in the US if you don't tip drivers you are fucking them over. it sucks but that's the fact of it

I don't tip to-go orders but that's also just because I don't order food to-go outside of occasional fast food orders, which you don't tip anyways.

I dunno it's just like if I'm going all the way out to a restaurant, I'm going to eat there. That's why I go to restaurants, so I don't have to eat at home and clean dishes and shit.

This might sound callous of me, but if you can't afford to tip, then you can't afford to eat out.
Yes it does sound callous. Tipping is not mandatory. If one can afford the meal they certainly can eat out. Choosing not to spend extra money does not imply lack of money. Even so, these heavy handed implications are nothing more than a form of bullying. Why would anyone tip if they received poor service? Let's say that someone does not tip because they don't have spare money, do they not deserve fo treat themselves to a meal? Food for thought.

If people tampering with food is a rumour that apparently sprung from thin air then there is nothing to fear.

Last edited:
Yes it does sound callous. Tipping is not mandatory. If one can afford the meal they certainly can eat out. Choosing not to spend extra money does not imply lack of money. Even so, these heavy handed implications are nothing more than a form of bullying. Why would anyone tip if they received poor service? Let's say that someone does not tip because they don't have spare money, do they not deserve fo treat themselves to a meal? Food for thought.

If people tampering with food is a rumour that apparently sprung from thin air then there is nothing to fear.
in many industries, tipping is essentially mandatory, especially in the US where waiters get paid barely anything by their employers. Your tip is their wage; you're forcing them to essentially work for free if you don't tip them. Is this a garbage system? yes, absolutely. But it's still a system you have to partake in.

If you're in the US, that is. Fortunately i live in a country where servers get paid a living wage by their employers.

Tipping basically is mandatory if you're in the US.

The federal minimum wage for tipped workers in this country is a measly $2.13/hour, if you go out to eat and don't tip your server - then you (general you, not you specifically) are being an ass. Full stop.

Either tip your servers or just don't go out to eat (or go to somewhere that doesn't require tipping like a fast food place). It's simple as that.

Either tip your servers or just don't go out to eat (or go to somewhere that doesn't require tipping like a fast food place). It's simple as that.

i pretty much agree with this.

even if you (general) fundamentally disagree with tipping as a custom, or if you want to stick it to the government or whatever, you aren't really hurting the restaurant owner by not tipping or the government, you're really hurting the single mom who's relying on your tips as well as many others to pay off her car, her bills, groceries, whatever. and i know this because i've worked in the restaurant industry. these people aren't hypothetically made up or whatever, they're real and the only time they actually ever made any significant amount of cash is during a) the summer b) spring break and c) around the holidays. other than that.... yikes, not worth it. @_@

To play the devil's advocate, you could say that by not tipping, you are fighting the tipping culture because if enough people don't tip, that way of running a business becomes unsustainable as no one would become a waiter.

The only fighting against tipping culture I do is fighting against places that try to normalize tipping for every damn thing.

And by 'fighting against places' I mean just hitting the 'no tip' option on the terminal when I pay by card.

(oops, replying to There Is No Arceus) eh, even then that would require incredibly large-scale group organization to actually achieve anything. even if possible, it would be an unrealistic goal to achieve without other avenues of heavy pressure on governments and businesses.

Do you guys know if Zexy is still active ?
I’m afraid he left the forums for personal reasons of his, so no I don’t think he’ll be active again.
A pity, that. Although of course everyone their reasons for leaving that of course I respect, there's a part of me that really hates when people that I care about here leave because you never really know what happens to them if they never come back. I mean, one could say that it's silly to have attachments to people who you only know online — who you probably don't even really know that well, if I have to honest about it — but I just can't help myself when it comes to that, you know? I mean, this might be the internet where nothing is really real, but at the same time, it kind of is real — in its own weird and unique kind of way — because there are people behind the keyboard typing all of this stuff and talking to everyone, so... yeah. Just wanted to put my feelings out there about that while it was still on my mind (even if it's probably more fit for the venting thread or something, maybe).

The wildest thing I've seen in a dude cosplaying Chris-chan. When I approached him his first question was 'why do you know about this?' Then I took a picture with him. Classic moments in chronically online history.

I mean, one could say that it's silly to have attachments to people who you only know online — who you probably don't even really know that well, if I have to honest about it — but I just can't help myself when it comes to that, you know?

i've met some of my best friends online who have helped me through some rough patches in my life and i wouldn't know where i would be without them, so i wouldn't say it's silly at all tbh.

Back
Top Bottom