• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbagarden X/Y Launch Giveaway: 10 copies of Pokémon X/Y to be given away!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My question is regarding #3, though I think you may not be able to answer it: When you say "starter" Pokemon, do you mean just the first-stage or can it be any of the second- or third-stage evolutions of the starters?

Regardless, I don't think including evolutions would change the answer.

Okay, it doesn't say in this thread, the announcement thread or the Bulbanews post that you're not allowed to post the answers to the trivia questions, so I'm gonna do it. When the the thought originally crossed my mind I was like, "No wait, that'll lower my chances of winning!" Then I felt guilty for having such a selfish thought, so here they are.

Contest Answers
1. Bulbagarden: The original Pokémon community.

2. Wilhelmina, Pike Queen Lucy and Holly. (There's another Lucy, so be specific.)

3. Yellow, Emerald, HeartGold and SoulSilver.

4. Eleven. (The question references the "Imakuni?" card.)

5. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Ginji's Rescue Team.

DISCLAIMER: I'm 100% certain that numbers 2, 3 and 5 are correct (just check the related Bulbapedia articles). I'm 99% certain number 4 is correct, because the "Imakuni?" card was indeed released in Japan before the TCG Game Boy game (check the Bulbapedia pages for the dates) and was never released in English, and Archaic said there was only one answer for each question, but still, I'm not familiar with the TCG or its GB incarnation, so I could be wrong.

But as for question number one? I really have no idea whatsoever if that's the correct answer. I've been using Bulbapedia for years and I actually never heard of Bulbagarden. I think most people know Bulbapedia first, and Bulbagarden second if at all, so use this answer at your own risk.

(It's the "full name of this site" that's throwing people off, I think.)

I could sure use a free copy of a game I really want, but I'm sure there're people who need it more than me, so good luck everyone ^_^

Okay, it doesn't say in this thread, the announcement thread or the Bulbanews post that you're not allowed to post the answers to the trivia questions, so I'm gonna do it. When the the thought originally crossed my mind I was like, "No wait, that'll lower my chances of winning!" Then I felt guilty for having such a selfish thought, so here they are.

[...](Spoilers?)

I could sure use a free copy of a game I really want, but I'm sure there're people who need it more than me, so good luck everyone ^_^

It is true that it doesn't say it, so hopefully it will be alright to post your entry. Though, I do see a few things that are a bit different from mine or other guesses.

(Caution: Spoils and Loot Ahead)
1. The "full name of this site" is the weird part, but I don't think the slogan was needed for the answer to be correct, though I don't think it would hurt. However, there is the fact that the contest page is hosted on Bulbanews, which would be a potential answer to the question, "full name of this site."

2. This question was a pain, but at least I know that I am not the only one with those answers. ;)

3. Found this to be an easy question in the end. Same answers, though I added Pokémon (Version) to each individual version to my draft/e-mail.

4. Imakuni? could fit as an "unusual" card. Though, if it is correct, there is a problem over if the Supporter Imakuni? also counts or if it is the same as the Trainer Imakuni?

5. Draft answer for me, but someone has mentioned a manga from 2003 in this thread. There should be one answer to this, so I guess it is a coin toss as to what goes on.

--

@Akazora
I'm in a bit of a pinch here. I sent in answers to the questions yesterday, fairly certain I got all of them right. But after one of the questions (more specifically question four) was further elaborated on, I realized I had answered it completely wrong. I know I'm not allowed to change my answers, but can there be an exception this time considering the situation?

Archaic mentioned something about allowing the third question to be resubmitted due to changes in the wording, so I can guess that the same might occur for question four. Though, I would PM them if none of the staff chimes in the thread in the next day or so.

Last edited:
Hi !

@Simba
It seems obvious that you cannot give the answers here. I think that you want to know the opinions from others before sending your answers. ;)

@Sgv_Sth
You don't have to resubmit. If your first wrong response is considered as affected by the wording of the question, they just count as right. If you answer a silly answer like "Magikarp", then it will be considered wrong.

Note : Sorry, I'm not English :'(

It is true that it doesn't say it, so hopefully it will be alright to post your entry. Though, I do see a few things that are a bit different from mine or other guesses.

(Caution: Spoils and Loot Ahead)
1. The "full name of this site" is the weird part, but I don't think the slogan was needed for the answer to be correct, though I don't think it would hurt. However, there is the fact that the contest page is hosted on Bulbanews, which would be a potential answer to the question, "full name of this site."

2. This question was a pain, but at least I know that I am not the only one with those answers. ;)

3. Found this to be an easy question in the end. Same answers, though I added Pokémon (Version) to each individual version to my draft/e-mail.

4. Imakuni? could fit as an "unusual" card. Though, if it is correct, there is a problem over if the Supporter Imakuni? also counts or if it is the same as the Trainer Imakuni?

5. Draft answer for me, but someone has mentioned a manga from 2003 in this thread. There should be one answer to this, so I guess it is a coin toss as to what goes on.

--
For number one, yeah, that part got me too -- the contest was posted on Bulbanews. That's really throwing everyone off, I think.

As for number three, I would hope/expect they wouldn't be so pedantic as to count your answers as wrong for not including "Pokemon ___ Version" for every answer.

As for four, I went by how many pages are in the category of Imakuni? cards in Bulbapedia, since Archaic said all the answers were discoverable by browsing the wiki.

Hi !

@Simba
It seems obvious that you cannot give the answers here. I think that you want to know the opinions from others before sending your answers. ;)
Heh, yeah. Until Archaic posts the answers, no one can really "give" the correct answers, since we don't know for sure.

Well I'm ALMOST done with my entry, but the Manga question is troubling me. I have two possible answers to that question, depending on wether or not I take Chuang Yi into account (it's based in Singapore rather than the US, but they also do English translations). I'd send both my answers but I don't think that's valid xD
Ehh, screw it, might as well go yolo and send the answers right now. :V

Hi! I have been following Bulbapedia for quite some time now, but only now discovered that there is a forum for it (A)

Regarding the give-a-way, I also sent in my answers at the start of the giveaway, but yesterday, when looking over my answers again, I saw I made a mistake. Is it still possible to change my answers? ><

I'd like some clarification for question 4: Would a Trainer card that was reprinted as a Supporter card count as the same card or two different cards? Thank you. =)

So I just have to send an email with the answers, right? Do I need to include any other information?

So does anybody know if the are judging mis-spellings as incorrect? Such as spelling Pikachu as Pikacu

I'd like some clarification for question 4: Would a Trainer card that was reprinted as a Supporter card count as the same card or two different cards? Thank you. =)

According to their Twitter, they said that they're separate cards. However, I'm still wondering about a certain Stadium card that contains a picture of the character. It's really bothering me because this is the only question I'm second guessing this badly.

So does anybody know if the are judging mis-spellings as incorrect? Such as spelling Pikachu as Pikacu

They said that misspellings are fine as long as they can understand what you're saying. So Pikachu as Pikacu should be perfectly fine.

Well I'm ALMOST done with my entry, but the Manga question is troubling me. I have two possible answers to that question, depending on wether or not I take Chuang Yi into account (it's based in Singapore rather than the US, but they also do English translations). I'd send both my answers but I don't think that's valid xD
Ehh, screw it, might as well go yolo and send the answers right now. :V

Yea, I really wish I could get an answer on this. I'm highly positive that only Vizmedia counts since apparently a lot of people have got this question correct despite this issue here.

But here's what their Twitter has said:
"@Wattie_99 The question includes any and all manga officially released in English."

Also, I remember a Tweet that said they were aware of the 2003 manga but said the info wasn't verified or something, but that tweet seems to be gone now (or at least I can't find it).

Either way, I'm running out of time, and I'm going to have to go with something soon >_<

The starter question is confusing me a bit. Pikachu was a starter in Yellow, so most main series games would be included in the answer since you can find Pikachu in the wild for them.

The starter question is confusing me a bit. Pikachu was a starter in Yellow, so most main series games would be included in the answer since you can find Pikachu in the wild for them.

It's because you can find Pikachu in the wild that he is not a starter.

Starter :
- Could not be found in the wild.
- Fire/Water/Grass type.
- Learn a Water/Fire/Grass Hyperbeam like move.

So I just have to send an email with the answers, right? Do I need to include any other information?

I only sent my answers. they may ask us only if we win.

Yea, I really wish I could get an answer on this. I'm highly positive that only Vizmedia counts since apparently a lot of people have got this question correct despite this issue here.

How do you know that ?

Last edited:
According to their Twitter, they said that they're separate cards. However, I'm still wondering about a certain Stadium card that contains a picture of the character. It's really bothering me because this is the only question I'm second guessing this badly.
It's the only one I'm not sure of, either. What exactly does "based on" mean in this scenario?

It's the only one I'm not sure of, either. What exactly does "based on" mean in this scenario?

"Professor Oak's Research" is "based on" the character "Professor Oak"

Entries are limited to 1 per person, and you cannot change your answers after submitting your email

How a person is authenticated ? By email adress ? By ip adress ? So 2 brothers cannot participate ?
there is no form for name or adress, I only give my answers.

Nooo. I love pokemon so much, but I lost my cable 6 months ago! This has backfired, as well as being a little late in the games. All I got is W2,W,B,SoulSilver and Pearl. The last 2 I just got. And my parents screwed me over by buying Halo 3! FOR MY B-DAY!
MY B-DAY IS 4 DAYS FROM THE RELEASE! WHY NOT BY ME THAT?!:mad:

Send in my entry not too long after the contest was opened, still one question though that I couldn't find in the article pertaining to the contest:

The contest ends today, but when will the winners be announced?

Again, I'll briefly answer some of the questions here, without giving things away (well, maybe I'm giving away Question 1 a little by adding the emphasis, but seriously now...). I'll repeat the answers from earlier as well, so you have them in one convenient post.

I'll also say this. Some of the questions we've been asked here show that you're on the wrong track. We'll answer your question, but it won't do you any good in actually answering the question, since it's not actually relevant to finding the answer.

General Issues:
There is only one intended valid answer to each question. However, due to some issues elaborated on briefly with a few questions below, there are circumstances where we will accept some alternative answers.
The wording of some questions has been refined since the contest was originally posted, in order to make the intent of the question more explicit. People who answers prior to the rewording based on the alternative interpretation of the question will not be penalized.
People should NOT resubmit answers to any question, regardless of if they answered before a question was reworded or not. We will take into consideration if people answered before the question was reworded in marking their response.
It's a worldwide contest. We'll obtain a copy from your local region if you win.
The contest is effectively 1 entry per household, yes. It would be too open to abuse otherwise, since everyone would just claim they had brothers or sisters and send in multiple entries.
All answers can be found on the relevant pages of Bulbapedia. Some questions may require you to look at multiple pages to get the answer, others may require you to read only one.
It is not generally possible for us to check if we've received your email, no. We've got too many entries we'd have to go through.
Winners will be contacted directly via email on Monday. The answers for the contest will also be announced then. The public announcement of the winners will be later in the week, when we've heard back from the winners.

The question asks for the full name of the website. Not the URL, not the name of a section of the site. We can't be more explicit than that.

The movies do count as part of the Pokémon anime.

This question was reworded to clarify the intent of "trading" in the question, and to specifically exclude things like distributions and the Dream World. People who responded before the question was reworded will not be penalized for having used the slightly different interpretation of the wording.
Ignore glitches. We judged that those would make it a trick question, and we didn't intend trick questions.
If there's a pair of games, name both.
The starter can be from any generation. Only the Grass-Water-Fire trios are counted, we're not talking about one-off's (which as with glitches, would make it a trick question in our book), so Pokémon like Pikachu don't count.
Pal Park counts under the clause of "without trading for the starter with another Trainer, or obtaining from some other external source such as a distribution or the Dream World.", since the Pokémon is being obtained from another Game Pak. That doesn't mean that the existence of Pal Park would disqualify a game from being a valid answer here, just that you'd need to obtain the starter through some other means.

As originally worded, the question only specified that the card was physically released in Japan, not that the card was available prior to the release of the Pokémon TCG game for Game Boy. The wording of the question has been altered slightly to make the intent more explicit, and there is now only one card which satisfies the first part of the question. Anyone who answered prior to the question being reworded will not be penalized.
For the second part of the question, we're looking for any card based off the character. That includes reprints.
To clarify what "based on" means, Hido was correct with the example of "Professor Oak's Research" being "based on" the character "Professor Oak".

Due to an error in some information on Bulbapedia at the time this contest was posted, which we were unable to correct without basically giving away the answer, there are three different responses which we will accept as correct for this question.
Any English edition, regardless of publisher, counts.

Last edited:
Does Pokemon Colosseum count as "Main series?" I've seen it listed on Bulbapedia as both "main series" and "side series" in the past and need clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom