• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Satoshi/Ash is very obviously meant to be the Player Character of the Red and Blue/Green games. Not loosely based on, not inspired by but an actual adaptation of the character. Sure they're "different" but in the same way Brock and Misty in the games and Brock and Misty in the anime are different

It's really embarrassing how little the TPCI cast has improved. Every time I see something new like the Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution movie or Secrets of the Jungle my immediate thought is "its been over 15 years and they're still this bad?" Even the Funimation cast for Dragon Ball Z managed to get their act together within 2 years.

Ash should have been dumped after Johto. I understand keeping him for the Johto era because the anime was still hot when Johto started but when it became obvious the anime was losing its audience it should have just used Brendan, May, and third character for the Advanced series.

Ash has always had such a huge lack of personality to me, even way back at the beginning of the series, but now it's just even worse in my opinion. The issue isn't him not "being snarky" anymore, but rather that it feels as if some authenticity to his character has been lost.

The reason a lot of people are attached to the OG trio isn't just for nostalgia reasons: they often bounce off of each other regularly, yet still remain close friends at the end of the day. It felt realistic and I honestly felt more character from Ash in the beginning saga as opposed to now. There was a lot more character potential too. For instance, differentiating between being snarky with your friends and being snarky toward others. It is common for people to act snarky toward their friends; it's teasing and the closer you are, the more boundaries you know to avoid when teasing. That was one thing that brought the OG trio slightly down in my opinion; sometimes their snark felt a bit more mean spirited than it should. Still, the concept remains the same.

Nowadays, I feel like Ash is just incapable of getting irritated or angry unless it's downplayed to some degree or he's upset with an antagonist. It's just...boring.

Ash has always had such a huge lack of personality to me, even way back at the beginning of the series, but now it's just even worse in my opinion. The issue isn't him not "being snarky" anymore, but rather that it feels as if some authenticity to his character has been lost.

The reason a lot of people are attached to the OG trio isn't just for nostalgia reasons: they often bounce off of each other regularly, yet still remain close friends at the end of the day. It felt realistic and I honestly felt more character from Ash in the beginning saga as opposed to now. There was a lot more character potential too. For instance, differentiating between being snarky with your friends and being snarky toward others. It is common for people to act snarky toward their friends; it's teasing and the closer you are, the more boundaries you know to avoid when teasing. That was one thing that brought the OG trio slightly down in my opinion; sometimes their snark felt a bit more mean spirited than it should. Still, the concept remains the same.

Nowadays, I feel like Ash is just incapable of getting irritated or angry unless it's downplayed to some degree or he's upset with an antagonist. It's just...boring.
I don't mean for my criticism for Ash to be seen as him just being not snarky anymore. It's basically what you said. Sorry if I didn't really explain myself well

But that's my issue. Ash is just so saccharine now. He used to have a bite to him. He could be arrogant, snarky, impatient, rude etc. He felt like an actual ten year old (since people like to use this as a justification for his character in newer series).

It ft like they basically took away his flaws and just made him kinds boring. Yeah he still loves Pokemon, adventure, etc but without those other negative traits, he doesn't feeluch like a character nowadays.

Yeah he matured, but that doesn't mean your negative traits all disappear. They're still there you just know how to deal with them better etc. With Ash there basically gone.

I gotta agree with a lot of what i'm reading. like, I don't need them go back to the Kanto days where everyone was snarky and mean mostly 24/7, but I do miss when Ash and Pikachu had some attitude to them. This is honestly why I find the X and Y group to be the most boring group to date, it was just positivity all day every day with them, the only real conflict was only mostly between Bonnie and Clemont and even then that was mostly played for gags.

Say what you want about Goh but at least he and Ash were allowed to bicker at some points. The same goes for the Black and White group, you got three people from separate backgrounds, so of coruse they're gonna get on each other nerves from time-to-time. And then there's Max, he's a bratty know-it-all but at least he'd argue with both Ash and May. But despite all that Ash still considers them all to be good and close friends, I doubt he views the X and Y group or the Alolan classmate as better friends just cause he didn't argue with them as much.

Interpreting Ash and Serena’s meeting in JN105 as a set up for them to meet again is probably delusionment. Clearly they are never destined to see each other and spend substantial time with each other because they are being pulled apart by the writers because the kiss and the ship and crush was too rated R for Pokemon.
I’m sorry @CharizardFan7 and @Handy Man

The problem with the OG trio was that Brock and Misty didn't really have goals to work towards. They just kind of were there for most of the time, leaving Ash to do most of the important stuff and leaving many episodes that didn't focus on him to become meaningless filler, especially in Johto.

The problem with the OG trio was that Brock and Misty didn't really have goals to work towards. They just kind of were there for most of the time, leaving Ash to do most of the important stuff and leaving many episodes that didn't focus on him to become meaningless filler, especially in Johto.
To be fair, the original games didn't give them much to work with. Catch all 150 Pokemon and/or win the Indigo League Championship. Obviously those both went to Ash. The introduction of contest in Ruby and Sapphire gave them something for May to do while Ash won his badges.

And technically Brock wanted to be a Pokemon Breeder, even if all that amounted to was a more accomplished Pokemon Breeder acknowledging his skill and giving him her prized Vulpix.

Technically speaking, having a goal to work towards doesn't exactly correlate to a good dynamic between characters. You can have characters play off of each other without them having a specific goal to strive for in that series. I was referring more to the way the trio interacts with each other; and two of them playing as supports for Ash can arguably be put in favor of their dynamic as well: they're just traveling with each other because they want to be supportive friends. Does it mitigate their own individuality a little? Maybe.

In general, though, I'm not sure I agree with the sentiment in Pokeani where a character having a material goal where there are active checkpoints to view their progress is something that all characters should strive for. I just think it'd be interesting if the writers of the anime tried for once to give a character a storyline that doesn't involve a specific "collect this many things or check off this many things" storyline. Characters can have a storyline that doesn't exactly relate to their major goal in life; take Lillie for example. They should try doing this more often, in my opinion.

Interpreting Ash and Serena’s meeting in JN105 as a set up for them to meet again is probably delusionment. Clearly they are never destined to see each other and spend substantial time with each other because they are being pulled apart by the writers because the kiss and the ship and crush was too rated R for Pokemon.
Why do you think that they're never going to see each other again? Is it just because they only briefly interacted in that episode and didn't get to see each other again in Journeys? That's such a huge overreaction. Just because they didn't get to interact more in Journeys doesn't mean that the writers are deliberately keeping them apart. JN105 was about Serena meeting with Chloe, Chloe trying out Contest Spectaculars or whatever they're called and showcasing Serena's growth from her off-screen travels. It wasn't about her relationship with Ash or setting up more for them to do with that pairing down the road. It was mostly about Serena and Chloe. Serena can easily appear in another series. I still don't expect the anime to bring back older characters anytime soon after Journeys wrap up, but that doesn't mean that they're all gone forever. Misty hadn't appeared in over a decade before she showed up in SM. It's more than likely that they'll bring Serena back at some point.

Describing the kiss, the ship and the crush as too rated R for Pokemon is by far one of the most ridiculous things about the anime I've ever seen. For months, people were arguing that Serena couldn't appear in Journeys because of the kiss and even after they already proved that the kiss wasn't this barrier making it difficult to bring her back, you still think that they won't give Ash and Serena any meaningful interaction because of it. Unbelievable. Not to mention this is another prime example of treating Serena like an object. It is treating her as just part of a pairing, not an actual character with her own personality and development.

I can understand being disappointed that you didn't get to see Ash and Serena interacting more in Journeys. I know that you like the pairing and that is perfectly fine. My issue is that this is such an extreme overreaction that makes no sense on any level and continues to treat Serena as just shipping fodder for Ash.

As Hidden Mew mentions, JN105 was primarily about Serena's contest career in Hoenn more than anything. The fact that an Ash and Serena scene got snuck in at the end of the episode at all is something to be grateful for, and they wouldn't have interacted at all if the writers truly never wanted them to see each other again in the future. It is basically an open-ended scene where its kept anonymous when Serena will see Ash again in the future, which is better than not having them meet up at all, which would be a real cause for concern. The fact that the scene exists, along with how well developed Serena was in the episode and her brand new design, shows that Serena is important to the anime staff, and they want to handle her with care. Yes, it might be a long time before we see Serena again, but there was nothing about her appearance in JN105 that made it feel like her final one. Aside from Misty not appearing in person between AG and SM, there's also the fact that Iris only appeared in BW and JN, and now even minor things like Max's cameo in JN132, his first physical appearance since AG ended. There is not much of a pattern to characters returning these days, but they can happen whenever the writers want them to.

Also, regardless if people like it or not, Serena's crush on Ash is canon. The childhood flashback is cannon. The kiss is cannon. The only way any of those things would be retconned is if the anime decides to feature an AU for the main series instead of just in the movies, which I personally think is unlikely for many reasons. Not only would turning the anime into an AU retcon the Amourshipping moments, it would also retcon Ash meeting all of his other friends, all of the experiences he gained on his many journeys, and all of the Pokémon he caught and met throughout the anime's history. It would also retcon Serena's entire characterization and character development, along with everyone else in the anime. We just have to be appreciative that these scenes were allowed to happen in the first place. Sure, people can say that Ash doesn't feel anything for Serena, and that Amourshipping is one-sided. I even used to think that myself when XY first ended. However, what people can't say is that Amourshipping is too "R rated" to exist, because The Pokémon Company does allow it and has even made posts about it on Twitter.

Saying Amourshipping is "R rated" also implies that it's explicit, when there is nothing explicit about it. The core of Amourshipping is about how Serena sees Ash as this confident and upbeat person that she sees as a role model, and how Serena self-improves herself and gains confidence to become an equal to Ash. JN105 did an excellent job embodying this, as we now see that Serena learned from Ash's advice and is comfortable with who she is. Compare this to when she first met back up with Ash, where she lacked confidence and direction. For a real couple to work in real life, both people have to be happy and stabilized, and able to take care of not just themselves, but their family. The Serena in the beginning of XY wasn't even able to know what she wanted to do, and relied on her friends for guidance and support too much. However, by leaving Ash at the end of XY, Serena proved that she can be happy with who she is on her own merits, while still loving Ash for who he is and not losing sight of that. She is able to not depend Ash for her own happiness, which is important for her individuality and self-control. In other words, saying that Ash and Serena are not allowed to see each other again because it's "R rated" misses the point of what makes Amourshipping tick. Love is a concept for all ages, and the way Pokémon XY has handled love is more tasteful than other portrayals of it in mainstream media. There's nothing that a future reunion between Ash and Serena would cause that would make it inappropriate for children. Pokémon never has been that kind of show, and never will be.

I understand that you're saying all of this because you are worried about the future of Amourshipping, and I honestly don't blame you. However, our lives are not completely dependent on if Amourshipping will amount to something greater in the future. We are allowed to enjoy things like fanfiction and fanart as a way to continue the story of Amourshipping if we want to, there is nothing wrong with that. However, one solution that I propose is taking what we learned from Amourshipping, and using it to improve our own lives in real life. As I mentioned, Serena's crush on Ash happens because she was awed by his kindness and positivity, and she used his "never give up until the very end" quote as her philosophy. This is on top of Ash already being a hard-working individual, as we see across the history of the anime that he's learned a lot from his experiences and became a better trainer from it. For Ash, he went from the rookie trainer who got pity badges and had a disobedient Charizard, to a World Champion who used everything he learned across his travels. For Serena, she became someone who discovered what it meant to become a performer, learned the hard way that it's a career and not just for fun, and wants to perform to share her happiness with the world. Even if the Pokémon anime actually ended, we still have entire characters and stories that we can learn from. We can use what we learned and care about in the show to move our lives forward. Sure, nothing seems to be coming out of Amourshipping officially at the moment, but we can create our own stories in real life. If we keep being the best people we can be and meet the right people, well, who knows?

the kiss and the ship and crush was too rated R for Pokemon.
I'm sorry what but the actual fuck? How is a kiss and a ship between two ten-year-olds too "R rated for Pokemon"??? There are plenty of kids' shows and movies out there that have characters kissing on screen. Also, Ash and Serena's kiss was a censored kiss, as in it wasn't explicitly shown.

Look I agree that Ash and Serena's last on-screen interaction in JN105 was seriously underwhelming but you are seriously overreacting here.

This is a gross overreaction. I mean that's not even over stating it. This is a huge overreaction to go from liking a ship to saying its R-rated and its dead. People have merely been saying don't get your hopes up over a ship becoming canon, given the Pokemon anime doesn't seem interested in time skips. Nobody is saying give up your love for a ship.

Last edited:

I think DP was the last time we had some form of this Ash that could truly lose it for a long time. Like the way he interacted with Paul and Hunter J brought a side of him that currently isn't even entertained. Him hating people for real like he did those two would be unthinkable now

If ships need to be canon to have worth, then they shouldn’t even exist. Shipping is the community - the art, fanfics, and people. Yes, it is triumphant to see ships be canon and heartbreaking to see the pairings you like not cross that threshold. I’ve been there. I, however, refuse to act like ships have no value if they don’t come true.

To me, the main Pokémon Anime without Ash isn’t the main Pokémon Anime. If it’s outright confirmed that Ash will leave, then I will definitely not watch it.

When they said "Ash’s adventures will continue", I thought Paldea. My disappointment is huge, but so huge that even "huge" isn’t enough of a word to describe what I’m feeling.

I’m disgusted so much it breaks my heart. While others are happy, I think I’m gonna be depressed.

Last edited:
I'm just gonna say it right now; Ash did not have a character arc in SM. To me, there is no excuse for Ash's random ass personality change in SM, cause not only is it his third personality change in a row but it's his most drastic and extreme one. A lot of people say that Ash's whole "arc" in SM was learning to fall in love with the region of Alola...which would've been cool if it weren't for the fact we never even saw this arc happen.

As early as the first episode of the series we already see Ash fall in love with Alola and having as much fun as he possibly can with it, so he didn't go through an arc of "falling in love with Alola" in SM because he already fell in love with it as we can see in the first episode. If Ash's arc was really to learn to love Alola, then we should have seen him be a bit skeptical of the region but then after some convincing by his mom and the Alola gang he decides to give the region a chance. And then from that point onward, we could see him actually start falling in love with Alola and have the region grow on him a bit and have him slowly transition into his wackier SM self. Not only would that be a much more natural transition into his SM personality but it would also give him an actual arc; that being learning that not everything needs to be this grandiose adventure and that sometimes it's good to relax and have fun for once.

A lot of people say that Ash's whole "arc" in SM was learning to fall in love with the region of Alola...which would've been cool if it weren't for the fact we never even saw this arc happen.

I don't know who's been saying this but I daresay they weren't paying much attention to SM.

The point of Ash's time in Alola wasn't to learn how to love the region, but to experience its cultures and traditions and what it means to be one part of a wider community.

In the 2nd episode, when Kiawe tells Ash about earning the right to use the Z-Crystal given to him by Tapu Koko, Ash admits he doesn't understand what he's telling him. At that point in time, Ash doesn't grasp the symbiotic relationship between trainers like him and nature. All he understands is it's something important he needs to respect.

In the finale to Ash vs Kukui, Ash finally understands it, because he feels it when using his Z-Move against Tapu Koko. His experiences within Alola have given him the understanding he lacked before, ultimately allowing him to unlock the true-power of Z-Moves.

Is this an arc rife with conflict and big changes for Ash? Not at all, but it is, nonetheless, an arc he undergoes.

I don't know who's been saying this but I daresay they weren't paying much attention to SM.

The point of Ash's time in Alola wasn't to learn how to love the region, but to experience its cultures and traditions and what it means to be one part of a wider community.

In the 2nd episode, when Kiawe tells Ash about earning the right to use the Z-Crystal given to him by Tapu Koko, Ash admits he doesn't understand what he's telling him. At that point in time, Ash doesn't grasp the symbiotic relationship between trainers like him and nature. All he understands is it's something important he needs to respect.

In the finale to Ash vs Kukui, Ash finally understands it, because he feels it when using his Z-Move against Tapu Koko. His experiences within Alola have given him the understanding he lacked before, ultimately allowing him to unlock the true-power of Z-Moves.

Is this an arc rife with conflict and big changes for Ash? Not at all, but it is, nonetheless, an arc he undergoes.
I mean the issue with that is that it seems Ash already mastered z moves before then and he had not much issue using 10,000,000 volt thunderbolt.

It seems he already had this realization of Alola and it's culture in the treasure island episode during his big speech. So yeah I don't really see much of an arc in SM

But for an unpopular opinion, i have major gripes with how Lillie PTSD was written. It's one of the moment I feel iffy when people bring it up as SM handling mature themes. It felt like such a childlike way to write it. And Pokemon being a kid show isn't an excuse. I've seen kid show handle mental illness without giving it some cure all solution in one episode and using it for comedic value
Tackling mature topics doesn't mean much in my book. It's easy to tackle them, to write them well tho in a respectable and complex way but easy enough for kids to understand? That's praiseworthy imo. And I feel lillie PTSD fell short of that. It's wasn't awful, just not as praiseworthy as people say it is

I hated how it was basically this all knowing thing. Like how Lillie just knew it was snowy and not ditto. Yeah... No. Or how she saw tons of nihilego when rescuing lusamine but didn't bat an eye. Are you kidding me? This was the same Mon that brought her to her knees the 2nd time she saw it. And remember, this was AFTER she cod finally touch Pokemon. Now what? She just doesn't care. Nope

Then the whole "I remember syvally saved me so I'm not scared of Pokemon anymore" like yeah idk about that. PTSD isn't something that is basically cured in one simple moment. I prefer if it was something that would be an ongoing struggle for Lillie. Maybe by the end of sm she can touch most Pokemon but it can be a bit difficult for her.
Mental illness isn't just some linear thing. I loved it when Lillie relapsed into her old behavior, but then the show immediately ruins it for me by it being "fixed" in the next episode .

Honestly Lillie giving that big speech to Ash at the end of SM while her PTSD still beong present would still work, heck it would of been better imo. She still struggles with it but she made great strides with it. If all she needed to do was just recall her memory, then it makes it weird that the people wround her (minus faba, and they did touch lusamine being neglectful) didnt just say "hey syvally saved you" and then Lillie would of been fine ig

I'm still weirded out that gladion didn't say anything to anyone. It isn't his fault but why keep silent? They never gave an actual reason why. He just doesn't say anything...

What's weird is I genuinely loved how it was handled before the whole rescueu lusamine episode. Every episode was a slow progress for lilly. It wasn't perfect, but compared to how they handled the ending, man

I'm not an expert on PTSD so if I said something ignorant. Im sorry and please fell free to correct me

Last edited:
Right after I watched JN136, I decided to begin a rewatch of the Indigo League. I just finished rewatching Bye Bye Butterfree, and unfortunately, it made me realize how weak Butterfree's character arc is.

The best moment for Butterfree by far, in my opinion, happens after Ash catches Caterpie in Ash Catches a Pokémon. We see an amazing scene where Caterpie and Pikachu bond, and how Caterpie both wants to evolve into Butterfree, as well as become friends with Misty. After that, it evolves into Metapod in the same episode, and is already a Butterfree in the very next episode. Butterfree then battles Misty in a gym battle, with no sign that Misty likes it at all. After that, we don't really see it again until the St. Anne episode, where Ash offers to trade his Butterfree for a Raticate. We see that Ash heavily regrets the trade, worrying if Butterfree will be treated well, and makes an effort to get it back despite the ship sinking. This was a great moment for Ash, because it shows us viewers that his Pokémon are really important to him, especially his very first one. Unfortunately, this is the last major appearance of Butterfree before its release episode. So far, we know that Butterfree wanted to evolve all the way, that it wanted to become friends with Misty, and that Ash cares about the Pokémon he caught a lot. It would appear here and there, like against AJ's Sandshrew and the giant Tentacruel, but overall it was not very prevalent. It wasn't even in Island of the Giant Pokémon, would could have given it a great showcase of its personality.

Bye Bye Butterfree introduces quite a few problems to Butterfree's character. First of all, Misty suddenly likes Butterfree and is comfortable around it. There was absolutely no indication that Misty was ever working on getting over her fear of bugs for Ash's Butterfree in previous episodes, so it was very jarring that she is suddenly okay and supportive of it in this episode, and she continues to keep her fear of bugs afterwards. There's also the fact that, if Ash never found the Butterfree mating season, he would have never released it. After Ash gave serious thought with the Raticate trade and did anything he could to get Butterfree back, why is he suddenly okay with the idea of Butterfree finding a soulmate? There's also the fact that Ash's Butterfree wanting to find love was never established at any point before this episode. For Ash's Butterfree to win the pink Butterfree over, it had to defeat Team Rocket. That's fine and ultimately harmless, but it doesn't give much depth to Ash's Butterfree's love either. The pink Butterfree likes Ash's Butterfree because it saved it's life, and while that's a good excuse for it to fall in love, it's ultimately a very simple story. There just isn't much weight to Bye Bye Butterfree in my opinion. Butterfree evolved too fast, Misty suddenly likes it with no explanation, Ash had a hard time letting it go before but is suddenly okay with it now, and the idea of Butterfree wanting to pursue love was never established before this episode. Not to mention that only Ash and Pikachu cry when Butterfree get released, Misty and Brock don't show much sad emotion at all.

I hate saying this about an iconic childhood episode, but when you take the nostalgia googles off, Ash's Butterfree was not that well written of a character. It will always have a history for being Ash's first capture, and for being the first ever goodbye for a main character. I just wish Ash's Butterfree had more weight to its character, because the reasons people love it have moreso to do with Ash's growth of a character than anything. Ash catching his first Pokémon and releasing his first Pokémon are global concepts that could have happened with any Pokemon, and Butterfree is a good choice for that, because Caterpie is one of the earliest Pokémon you can find in Red and Blue. However, Butterfree just has a lack of individuality to it that didn't really shine in most of the episodes it was in. Moments like its conversation with Pikachu in Ash Catches a Pokémon were amazing, but other moments like Ash wanting Butterfree back made Butterfree more about Ash than itself. In my opinion, that's a good thing for Ash, but not exactly the best thing for Butterfree, mostly because we don't get to see Butterfree's opinion of the gentlemen he was given to. Ash just assumes that the Butterfree will continue to be traded by that gentlemen, instead of trying to see if it would actually be happier with him.

There honestly aren't that many reasons for me to feel sad about Ash's Butterfree getting released in Bye Bye Butterfree. It stings when Misty says "have lots of healthy babies", because when Ash's Butterfree miraculously reappears in Journeys, we don't see any offspring at all. It's still just Ash's Butterfree and the Pink Butterfree. Brock also says "Hope your relationship goes well" when Ash's Butterfree leaves, which gives the implication that there's a chance a breakup could happen between the two Butterfree. Considering Ash's Butterfree and the pink Butterfree didn't actually know each other that well when they first met, what if they had a breakup off-screen? Would Ash's Butterfree be left stranded? Ash's Butterfree was released with the assumption that it would get along and be happy with the pink Butterfree, and it's good that Journeys confirms that they are still together after all this time. However, the fact that Butterfree's entire character is determined by the fact that Ash caught it as his first Pokémon, and it being his first release, makes his overall character feel shallow to me. I'm glad that there are many fans all around the world that love Ash's Butterfree, but even as a kid, I was never terribly saddened by it. It teaches us an important lesson that nothing lasts forever and we need to learn to let things go, which is great, but I just wish it was written much better than it was.

Back
Top Bottom