• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

What confuses me about this is wouldn’t TPCI still benefit from royalties of the Japanese soundtrack if they’re all part of the same company? Like, I understand TPCI is still technically a separate entity from The Pokemon Company in Japan, but like… how different can that possibly be?
[/QUOTE]
I don't know the specifics but I know the Japanese version is also produced by Shopro and TvTokyo, so by changing the music TPCI wouldn't owe anything to them.

Here's an article about 4Kids that's pretty relevant(BTW if the name of the guy who wrote the article sounds familiar, it's the same dude who ran the Yugioh Uncensored fansite, that blew my mind, glad to see he's mellowed out on his attitude towards 4Kids since then):

https://gamerant.com/4kids-anime-impact/

Here's an article about 4Kids that's pretty relevant(BTW if the name of the guy who wrote the article sounds familiar, it's the same dude who ran the Yugioh Uncensored fansite, that blew my mind, glad to see he's mellowed out on his attitude towards 4Kids since then):

https://gamerant.com/4kids-anime-impact/
I was hoping this article would be more in-depth. Frankly it seems like a pretty surface-level summary and doesn't bring much (if any) new insight to the table.

Last edited:
I was hoping this article would be more in-depth. Frankly it seems like a pretty surface-level summary and doesn't bring much new insight to the table.
Yeah I was hoping it would be more in-depth as well, that guy Kevin also wrote a book and it got some pretty negative reviews that echoed similar criticisms, I get the feeling Kevin isn't as good of a writer as he thinks he is(the last thing he wrote before he abandoned YGO Uncensored was that he was quitting the site because "God" was telling me to write a book and I was like "yeah Okaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy then")

I really liked the new comparison to Episode 1. Interesting that you say Ash sounds great in the early episodes but weren't a fan of it later on because most would say otherwise. If you ever do a new comparison of Episode 2, I am interested to hear your current opinion on all the characters (Misty, Jenny, Joy, Jessie, James, and Meowth), especially since the latter two will be recast in a couple of episodes (James half way through Episode 8, and Meowth in Episode 32). I remember you said in Movie 22 that Rachael Lillis's Misty is your favorite performance in the 4Kids dub, is this still hold true today? You never got around to talking about it for this episode, but I guess you will when you get around to Episode 2's comparison?

I really liked the new comparison to Episode 1. Interesting that you say Ash sounds great in the early episodes but weren't a fan of it later on because most would say otherwise. If you ever do a new comparison of Episode 2, I am interested to hear your current opinion on all the characters (Misty, Jenny, Joy, Jessie, James, and Meowth), especially since the latter two will be recast in a couple of episodes (James half way through Episode 8, and Meowth in Episode 32). I remember you said in Movie 22 that Rachael Lillis's Misty is your favorite performance in the 4Kids dub, is this still hold true today? You never got around to talking about it for this episode, but I guess you will when you get around to Episode 2's comparison?
I'm not sure if he meant Ash sounded worse later on in the 4Kids dub or worse once he got a new VA for the TCPI dub.

I'm not sure if he meant Ash sounded worse later on in the 4Kids dub or worse once he got a new VA for the TCPI dub.
Considering Dogasu said "it won't be long before Ash's voice starts to get higher pitched and the performance becomes more smarmy so I have to remind myself to enjoy it while I still can," I'm betting he meant during the 4Kids dub.

It's obvious Dogasu means Ash sound more stuffy and deep voiced in the first few eps of the dub. I hate that Veronica made him more high pitched later on.

They said they redid ep 1 cause of the dubs anniversary...

Wouldn't they then focus on Johto where nobody ever talks about changes?
I remember Dogasu mentioning there were many edits in Johto that went unreported. There are many episodes from Johto that I am interested in seeing comparisons, especially episodes involving the Kimono Sisters.

Interesting to find out that "so, you must be Ash" line was a mistranslation/change all along. I remember fans talking about that literally DECADES ago (lol being old) as some sort of crazy retcon from the terrible anime writers when they had that flashback in Johto, but it turns out it's just another "Brock's mom is dead"-level mistake courtesy of good ol' 4Kids Entertainment.

I did know too that the dialogue in movie 20 was generally a more accurate translation than what 4Kids went with, the one improvement you can generally say for TPCI compared to 4Kids, even as they do plenty just as bad or even worse. Then again, this first episode keeping only two music tracks from the original isn't much different from TPCI's record these days.

Unrelated to anything I guess, but one annoying thing is the Netflix versions of these episodes remove the "Who's That Pokemon?" eyecatches. One Piece doesn't have them either, so I wonder if that's just a Netflix problem? Suppose they don't have much use for them since there's no commercials anyway aside from the most basic tier, but Pokemon Journeys has them, so idk.

Got to see some episodes subbed so to answer some previous questions especially if anyone had them too:
1. So we know that the Squirtle Squad were threatening to kill Misty VS dyeing her hair.

But what is being said when Ash finds that she's okay? Was it literally that they wouldn't harm a girl or something? (You know, cause Japan)

2. So one moment I look at a bit differently cause of Suede's former vids is "Ash Catches a Pokémon" regarding Misty's annoyance at him after the capture of Pidgeotto. Well as he suggests, it seems like a calling out of protagonists who can just get by with luck and such VS say being skilled.

That said, is her comment pretty close to what she says in the Japanese version?

The bit I am mainly speaking of for context:
Misty- With Pokémon, you've got to use strategy. Pidgeotto is a bird. Caterpie is a worm. Birds eat worms, Mr. Pokémon Master!

Ash- Well, if you just try hard enough, things will work out, won't they?

Misty- No, Ash, I'm afraid things won't just work out if you try hard enough. The Pokémon trainer's judgment. is more important than anything else, and unfortunately for you,
the trainer has to have a brain!
1. Basically she said that while the Squirtle Squad pulls pranks, they won't break the law.

2. I guess the same to sum it up, just that it's not enough to show you have guts or love your Pokémon, but that your judgement is very important.

Also The Water Flowers of Cerulean City where Brock takes off cause he has stuff to do? Picking up supplies and as he puts it, this and that.

Yeah nowadays the dub version makes me think of that Family Guy bit where they ask what Brian is doing in the basement and he says "What do you think?!".

Also The Water Flowers of Cerulean City where Brock takes off cause he has stuff to do? Picking up supplies and as he puts it, this and that.

Yeah nowadays the dub version makes me think of that Family Guy bit where they ask what Brian is doing in the basement and he says "What do you think?!".
It is weird how in those early episodes they'd just have characters disappear for a while without much explanation. Still getting a groove I guess, but still. At least it sounds like he has a better excuse in the Japanese version than in English.

I was just thinking about that in connection with the fact that in the previous episode, Brock catches a Zubat in the middle of the episode and we don't even see it, it's just a throwaway line. Granted, Horizons is a different beast altogether, but could you imagine a modern episode where one of Ash's buddies caught a new Pokemon and it was relegated to off-screen status?

It is weird how in those early episodes they'd just have characters disappear for a while without much explanation. Still getting a groove I guess, but still. At least it sounds like he has a better excuse in the Japanese version than in English.

Yeah makes me and I'm sure plenty wish we'd get more behind the scenes on the show indepth.

Like were the Pity Badges a back pedal on what seemed to be calling out usual Shonen protagonist tropes (Of characters winning because of virtue and/or luck), or given the more downer ending considered, was Ash's story planned with a bittersweet ending where he fails to achieve his dream, but still eager to improve himself?

Like were the Pity Badges a back pedal on what seemed to be calling out usual Shonen protagonist tropes (Of characters winning because of virtue and/or luck), or given the more downer ending considered, was Ash's story planned with a bittersweet ending where he fails to achieve his dream, but still eager to improve himself?
Yeah, it's odd, especially considering Ash actually did very well in the league despite the "pity badge" issue and not training properly before hand.
The show has often been unable to make up it's mind on how good a trainer he's meant to be, arguably even to to the very end. I genuinely think if it hadn't been extended he'd have just won the league and defeated Gary back in Kanto.

Back
Top Bottom