• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

MATURE: Dragon Days [Chapter 26]

Reaction score
New chapters will now be posted on Wednesdays instead of Mondays.

Notification List

The following will be tagged in new chapters as per their request:

1) BlueNostalgia
2) Thundagere
3) Fireheart
4) Rob Anybody
5) Legacy
6) Lugion
7) SetheKing
8) Der_Neuevenmenschen
9) isac

If you wish to be added to this list, just let me know in the thread and I will add you.

WARNING - THERE IS MATURE CONTENT IN THIS FIC

Chapter 1 - Youth - The Beginning
Chapter 2 - Maturity - The Escape
Chapter 3 - Youth - The Attack
Chapter 4 - Maturity - The Return
Chapter 5 - Youth - The Revelation
Chapter 6 - Maturity - The Diversion
Chapter 7 - Youth - The Partnership
Chapter 8 - Maturity - The Hunt
Chapter 9 - Youth - The Recovery
Chapter 10 - Maturity - The Confrontation
Chapter 11 - Youth - The Repetition
Chapter 12 - Maturity - The Rescue
Chapter 13 - Youth - The Second Partnership
Chapter 14 - Maturity - The Showdown Part 1
Chapter 15 - Youth - The Capture Part 1
Chapter 16 - Maturity - The Showdown Part 2
Chapter 17 - Youth - The Capture Part 2
Chapter 18 - Maturity - The Rescue Mission
Chapter 19 - Youth - The Discovery
Chapter 20 - Maturity - The Imprisonment
Chapter 21 - Youth - The Stand Off
Chapter 22 - Maturity - The Continued Imprisonment
Chapter 23 - Youth - The Fallout
Chapter 24 - Maturity - The Escape
Chapter 25 - Youth - The Training

Chapter 1

Youth

The boy quickened his pace. He didn’t need to look behind him to know who was following him. They called themselves the Rockets, but they were nothing like the real Team Rocket, they just wanted to be. It was the kind of thing teenage boys do, create a hierarchy and pretend to be a proper gang, sometimes proving their dominance over someone for no reason other than to assert their authority – they thought of nothing but their egos. The boy hoped he wouldn’t grow up to be like that. The boy himself was awkward, prepubescent, short with black, un-styled hair – he was a perfect target.

There were just four of them behind him, but ‘the Rockets’ consisted of around fifteen boys. Just like the real Team Rocket, most of them were labelled ‘Grunts’, but these weren’t. Behind the boy walked the three ‘Executives’ – Jason, Dale and Terry, alongside the ‘Boss’ – Adrian. The boy didn’t know much about Team Rocket, but he knew that these boys wouldn’t be Executives if they were in it and they certainly wouldn’t be the Boss, they’d be Grunts, that was for sure, but in the Team Rocket of the school, they were the upper echelon.

Even though real Rockets would not have been scared of Adrian and the others, the boy was. The boy grabbed the Poké Ball on his belt and held it tight in his right hand until his knuckles turned white.

“What’ve you got there, kid?” sneered Adrian, when the Rockets finally caught up with the boy.

The boy continued to walk, pretending he had not heard them, he hoped, in vain, that if he ignored them they would go away. His Pokémon did not make him feel that much safer, he knew that they had stronger ones, but at least Dratini could defend him for a little while.

One of the Executives grabbed the boy on the shoulder. It was Terry.

“The Boss asked you a question, kid,” growled Terry threateningly.

“You better answer the Boss if he asks you a question, kid,” added Dale, moving to the right of the boy.

“The Boss don’t like to be ignored,” chipped in Jason, moving to the left of the boy.

“That’s right,” smiled Adrian, moving in front of the boy, “I did ask you a question, you had better answer and I certainly don’t like being ignored. So, let me ask you again, what’ve you got there?”

Adrian was a sick boy. The others, even the Executives, just liked being part of something that they considered big and powerful. The Executives loved having people below them that they could have do their bidding, even if it meant doing Adrian’s bidding. The Grunts envied the Executives and, mostly, obeyed them and Adrian in the hope of one day being considered for promotion. Obviously there wasn’t total obedience, it wasn’t the real Team Rocket, it was just a bunch of teenagers playing a game, but they did take the game very seriously.

Adrian was different though. This whole Team Rocket game had been his idea, he craved power, he thought himself special and above his peers. Jason, Dale and Terry were all strong, athletic boys who generally enforced their authority with their fists, but Adrian did not. Adrian had no real power but respect and fear, everyone in the class either respected him or feared him, which was why he could stand as the Boss of the Rockets.

“Just a Pokémon,” whimpered the boy, terrified of what the Rockets might do to him.

“I think you’d better hand it over,” informed Adrian.

“I don’t want to,” pleaded the boy, desperate to not lose the companionship of his beloved Dratini.

“He doesn’t want to!” exclaimed Adrian to the Executives with a massive smile.

The Executives looked back to Adrian, unsure how to react, they smiled at him uncertainly, but they could sense that he wasn’t happy.

“Well too fucking bad!” yelled Adrian, suddenly becoming totally irate and red in the face, slapping the boy across the face with the back of his hand, “It’s too fucking bad you’re a pathetic tiny kid with no balls and we’re four big teenagers, isn’t it? It’s too fucking bad we’re Team Rocket and you’re just a lonely spastic, isn’t it?”

Adrian grabbed the side of the boy’s face and squeezed so that the boy could feel the blood in his face. There would be a mark there for a while, he didn’t know how he would explain it to his parents.

“It’s too fucking bad that our Pokémon are stronger than yours,” hissed Adrian, “So hand over your little runt unless you want to get hurt!”

The boy was in so much pain, he didn’t know what to do. His grandfather had given him the Dratini so that he could protect himself, but he was too scared to even use it. What was the point? The boy knew that the Rockets had stronger Pokémon, the Dratini was pretty weak on the whole, it could barely battle. Tears began to well up in the boy’s eyes; he couldn’t bear the thought of losing his Dratini.

“The little baby’s crying!” shouted Adrian in the boy’s face, “You baby! Just give us the Pokémon and we’ll go away!”

The boy clenched his eyes shut and began to raise his hand to give Dratini’s Poké Ball to Adrian when he heard a massive thud from behind the Boss Rocket. The boy opened his eyes to see a huge, dragon Pokémon stood behind Adrian. Had he reacted too slowly? Had they become impatient and sent out this huge beast to do the boy some real damage? The boy knew that Dratini eventually evolved into a dragon Pokémon called Dragonite, but from the pictures he had seen, he was sure it looked quite different to the one standing before him. This one was slimmer and had a much longer neck, it had much more obvious claws and it had an open flame on the end of its tail – it was terrifying. The Rockets all cast their eyes towards the creature.

“Is that your Charizard?” snapped Adrian.

“No!” exclaimed the boy, “I swear!”

“Then where did it come from?” demanded the self appointed Boss Rocket, clutching the boy’s face even harder.

The boy didn’t even have a chance to answer as Adrian suddenly fell to the floor. The boy immediately looked to see why he had fallen, as did the Executives and it was immediately clear – he had a huge, bloody gash straight down the middle of his back. The dragon, apparently called Charizard, stood, breathing heavily with murder in its eyes and blood on its claws, staring at the other Rockets.

Everyone ran. Jason ran. Dale ran. Terry ran. The boy ran too, just because the Charizard wasn’t on the Rockets’ side didn’t mean it was on his side. The running proved futile, with a mere flap of its wings, the Charizard was in front of the fleeing boys. The beast roared in the face of a terrified Jason, he began to turn and run back the other way, but he wasn’t quick enough, the monster grabbed him by the neck and placed his head in its mouth – removing it clean from his shoulders and spitting it out on the ground. The boy could not have dreamt something more gruesome, he had never been so afraid in his life. Terry stopped running; he was frozen to the spot, just like the small boy was, but, unlike the small boy, he became the Charizard’s next target. The Charizard grabbed Terry by his right leg and swung him around its head, viciously smacking him repeatedly against the concrete floor until the Executive’s body was unrecognisable as human. Predictably, Dale was even more terrified, he knew he was next. He had taken the opportunity of his comrades being ripped to shreds, decapitated and bludgeoned to death respectively to get as far away from the scene as he could, he was a good two or three hundred metres away by the time the Charizard was finished with Terry, but that wasn’t far enough. The Charizard sent out a huge fire ball of incredible heat which instantly incinerated Dale. The young boy didn’t know what to do, so he did nothing. It was pointless running anyway. There was no way he could get away, the Executives had proven that. He just hoped the Charizard would have mercy on him. His prayers were answered - instead of attacking the boy, the Charizard lowered its head and allowed him to climb on top, then it flew him home.

Anyone would describe this as a traumatic experience and something that they would never forget, but even to the day of his death, Lance considered this event the defining experience of his entire life – he was never the same again.

Last edited:
Re: Dragon Days

First to post! Glad this has finally come!

Wow, that would be traumatizing. I wonder whose Charizard that was, if anybody's.

I liked it. I always like seeing different takes on characters, and this is definitely, thus far, a different, very interesting take on Lance.

I'll be reading.

I've been waiting for this. When you and I first talked about it I was very interested.

I really want to see more of this fic. From my experience with your work, you have a knack for backstory writings and this was a most wonderful beginning.

However, and this may just be me, I think there may be a few too many commas in this segment.

It was pointless running anyway, there was no way he could get away, the Executives had proven that, he just hoped the Charizard would have mercy on him. His prayers were answered, instead of attacking the boy, the Charizard lowered its head and allowed him to climb on top, then it flew him home.

Whose Charizard? Just a wild one? That sounds like something someone particularly manipulative would do.

And let me guess, Team Rocket of Lance's childhood is different than that of Giovanni's Team Rocket.

Still, I'll be watching this.

Last edited:

We've all seen how amazing Rival's Story is. What I'm interested in is how much the writing will improve between this and the last chapter.
You've done great, as always Gama. I could feel the emotions and it's very descriptive. I'm also interested in the Charizard, I wonder how that will turn out?
Oh, and one question. Will you be taking Rival's Story as canon in this story? For example,
Lance getting Aerodactyl from Prof. Oak?

i'm glad i'll be able to see this story from the begining, rather than marathon reading

Ahaha, nice, that Charizard eats those bullies right up.

Hit me some skin, yo, that was a pretty good prologue.

I'm sorry, some of my classmates' gangster imitation influence is rubbing off on me.

BURN! HAHAHAHAHAHA! For Lance, this is not the traumatic experience: It is the death of his old self.
Gama - You kept us waiting, and our patience was rewarded. And I also raise the same question as Flame Battler: Is Rival's Story canon?

We've all seen how amazing Rival's Story is. What I'm interested in is how much the writing will improve between this and the last chapter.
You've done great, as always Gama. I could feel the emotions and it's very descriptive. I'm also interested in the Charizard, I wonder how that will turn out?
Oh, and one question. Will you be taking Rival's Story as canon in this story? For example,
BURN! HAHAHAHAHAHA! For Lance, this is not the traumatic experience: It is the death of his old self.
Gama - You kept us waiting, and our patience was rewarded. And I also raise the same question as Flame Battler: Is Rival's Story canon?

I'll answer that one. Yes, Dragon Days is set in the Rivalsverse, thus is 'canon' to Rival's Story. I was the one who suggested it, hence my being able to answer for it =P

Thanks very much for the compliments, guys, I'm glad you liked it! It really means a lot that so many people have already read it!

First to post! Glad this has finally come!

Yes, you were merely second to post on Rival's Story!

I've been waiting for this. When you and I first talked about it I was very interested.

I really want to see more of this fic. From my experience with your work, you have a knack for backstory writings and this was a most wonderful beginning.

However, and this may just be me, I think there may be a few too many commas in this segment.

Thanks very much and I think you're right about the commas, I'll correct that now. I think it needs splitting into separate sentences.

Yes, as Instrutilus said, Rival's Story and Dragon Days are set in the same universe so Blue's battle with Lance essentially acted as a trailer for Dragon Days =P I intentionally let on a couple things in those couple of chapters in an attempt to get people guessing!

Wow! Big, bad Charizard sparring small, good Lance is a bit... interesting.
I love this fic already.

So, it's that time again. A week goes by fast, huh?

As I warned last week, I don't think this chapter is really as good as Chapters 1, 3, 4 and 5 but it had to happen. It's also quite short. I apologise in advance, I'll make sure next week's is better.

Chapter 2

Maturity
Lance couldn’t help but smile foolishly after being beaten by the young boy, he had so much fighting spirit, so much gusto, so much desire, he certainly deserved to be the Champion. Lance really wished he was qualified to enrol him into the Hall of Fame himself, it was a shame he had to call Professor Oak to do it for him, he would have liked to be the one to enrol the first ever Champion of Kanto. He supposed though that Professor Oak would certainly be excited to enrol his own grandson as the first Champion of Kanto. The thing that Lance was in awe of Blue the most of was that his final Pokémon was a Charizard, just like the one that had rescued him on that fateful day so many years ago, just like the Pokémon who had made him who he was today. He took it as a sign, he could stay here in the Pokémon League stagnating no longer, he had to return to his young life, he had to become a vigilante once again, that was when he had been great, now he was just a washed up, old has been. He didn’t care if they stopped him, there were few people strong enough to take him down anyway, he’d just be more careful than he was before. Lance decided that as soon as Professor Oak arrived, he would announce his resignation as Leader of the Elite Four.

The door to Lance’s chamber opened, but it was not Professor Oak, as he had expected, it was a young boy, another challenger, no doubt. Lance removed the Reliever from his pocket and healed his Pokémon – this device was incredibly useful, it allowed him to take on several challengers in a row; the Pokémon League Association’s buyout of the Silph Corporation had turned out to be extremely profitable for everyone involved. Lance’s heart was not in this next battle, he had already decided he was going to resign and track down the Charizard that had saved him all those years ago, as he had been promising himself he would for years. Lance went down against this next challenger without much of a fight and immediately headed out towards Viridian City when he did. As Lance walked through Agatha’s chamber, he saw Professor Oak arriving through the other door – his thoughts of resignation disappeared from his mind completely as all he could think about was how awkward it must be for Professor Oak and Agatha to be in the same room.

“Good afternoon, Agatha,” said Oak kindly.

“Afternoon, Professor,” replied Agatha, saying the word ‘Professor’ with a highly unnecessary level of disdain.

Neither of the pair noticed that Lance was in the room.

“There’s no need for that,” retorted Oak calmly, “Our grandson has beaten the Elite Four, you know.”

“Well, obviously I know he got this far,” replied Agatha, “I’m surprised he beat Lance though, I didn’t think you capable of raising a battler.”

“I choose not to battle, Agatha,” explained Oak, clearly exasperated, “If I still possessed all my Pokémon from my younger years, you wouldn’t stand a chance against me!”

“It doesn’t matter though!” exclaimed Agatha, “You gave them all away like a fool!”

Lance clutched his Aerodactyl’s Poké Ball guiltily, all too aware of his part in robbing Oak of his Pokémon, he heard the man only had one left now – he gave them away far too easily!

“I only gave them to people who deserved them,” answered Oak, making Lance feel not only less guilty, but also very proud, “People who could give them a better life than I in my lab.”

“Your lab!” spat Agatha, not elaborating at all.

“Do you have a problem with my lab, Agatha?” asked Oak

“I met your prodigy too,” continued Agatha, ignoring Oak’s comment completely,
“He was an even better battler than our grandson.”

“Red was here?” asked Oak in surprise, “Oh dear, I do wonder who was victorious out of Red and Blue?”

“Red,” spat Agatha, “Blue was no doubt too much influenced by you! You should have let me raise him here, he would have been a fighting machine if I had!”

“This is no place for a child to grow up,” berated Oak.

Lance could feel the tension building in the air and was saddened by it, he remembered how affectionately Oak had spoken of Agatha when he first met him. The pair had been closer than Lance could ever imagine being with another human being, he could never imagine trusting someone as much as they had trusted each other but that was a long, long time ago now. Lance cleared his throat and both Oak and Agatha turned to face him, forgetting each other completely.

“Ah, Lance!” exclaimed Oak, “It is good to see you!”

“You too, Professor,” answered Lance with a smile.

“You look as if you have something to say to me,” said Oak suddenly, “I’m not going to like it, am I?”

The old man had always been shockingly astute. Agatha seemed to disappear into the background as the two conversed.

“I’m resigning as Leader of the Elite Four,” admitted Lance.

“I understand,” replied Oak, strangely not asking for an explanation, “I would love to discuss this further, but it will have to wait, I am quite eager to see the battle between Red and my grandson, I do wonder who will triumph.”

“Yes, of course,” answered Lance.

“Go and wait in my lab,” replied Oak, “I’ll be there as soon as I can!”

Lance agreed and Oak continued up towards the Champion’s chamber. Lance, meanwhile, headed back through the Indigo Plateau, passing through both Bruno and Lorelei’s chambers. He talked with each of them briefly and Lorelei mentioned that she too was considering resigning, she wanted to return to her home. Lance wondered how the Pokémon League Association was going to cope with two resignations, particularly considering Agatha’s ailing health, which meant she was sure to be unfit to battle very soon. He supposed he would find out soon enough though.

Wow I'm so excited about this fic! Just read through Rival's Story and then I saw this one, I'm so pleased I can follow this one properly this time. I actually loved this chapter - I'd been wondering about Oak and Agatha and it was fun to see them interacting. Great stuff!

Whoa! Time skip.

Not bad. However, it's a shame this chapter tells us more about Oak and Agatha than it does Lance. But yeah, good job

This did show quite a bit of the emotions conveyed between Prof. Oak and Agatha. I found it amazing that you could do that much in the second chapter! But I guess I couldn't really expect less!
What I'm really interested in here is the fact that you made Prof. Oak and lance easier to understand. That was really a great job there.
Very well done!

I didn't think it was bad. Short, yes, but bad? Definitely not. I'm very interested in what will happen next.

This is very interesting... I'm intrigued to see where you go with this. Fantastic work, as always :)

I can't believe you forgot to tell me this story was up.

Both of those chapters were good, the first one confused me at first cause of the lack of description of the human characters and the fact I didn't know the situation very well, what surprised me the most was the Charizard going on a killing spree it must've been really pissed off.

The second chapter had less action in it I'll give you that, but it was still good, it gave us more insight on Lance and what he was doing plus the argument between Agatha and Oak was good.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom