• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dub Voice Actor Guesses/Discussion - The Next Generation

Does anyone think the censorship/visual editing is coming back too, just curious? I think it eventually will, but at the start, it won’t. Everything’s been pretty inoffensive even in Japanese so far, but I’m skeptical they will leave the Luxury Ball scene unedited to start (honestly Ash’s anime had much more risqué stuff in general, thus far).

Freeman being back is my favorite move TPCi has made in a long time, though, he hasn’t been around since the early 4Kids days so that’s neat I guess.

Someone at the con said that Fuecoco is voiced by Zeno Robinson
He’s in a lot of Series I grew up with interestingly, these days, in the Digimon Adventure Reboot and besides that Goh in Pokémon Journeys, now Horizons as well. I’d believe that, though, he’s really growing his resume.

Do we know if Lisa Ortiz is staying as the voice director, and who the new dub script writer is? I’m looking forward to the latter, as good grief, that slot needed a change far earlier imo.

Sounds like Lisa is indeed the voice director, script writer unknown
Thanks for the heads up! So Ed Goldfarb likely and Lisa Ortiz are returning in their capacities, so far, everything else seems to be a refresher thus far for the dub.

This is all pretty good so far. Everyone sounds the part, especially the Rotomphone HI GOH and the music from Goldfarb continues to be just what I expect from him, really good and showing he is willing to change even in the post-Ash era. I am HYPED! Still need to figure out where this dub will air on though.

So is Steve Blum the narrator in one of the trailers for HZ dubbed? I have to say I preferred Mike Pollock and Rodger Parsons in the role, but an interesting choice if it is him and cool, I suppose.

(So far Alejandra Reynoso is my favorite dub VA as Liko: I actually agree with YouTube on this one which isn’t at all generally the brightest community like many are on here imo, and whoever is Roy is my least favorite choice so far- Friede is good casting, but voice itself is deeper than I anticipated though at least nice to see a 4Kids era veteran get a crack at a major role after BW in the dub, and Amethio is average enough imo).

I don’t count Samson Oak to clarify: I’m aware that’s Marc Thompson but he’s a bit of a recurring minor role to me in SM, before anyone asks.

What I hope they do as things progress is what they need to in order to make amends for what happened in late 2006, @Charmander4 has said what I hope occurs. There’s no more Ash or TRio, and that hopefully, will change things.

Aside from Roy (way too scratchy) and the narrator (sounds like an ASMR channel to put it mildly...), I like everyone else's voices well enough, it's been about 17 years since Advanced Battle but... by some miracle, I can finally somewhat listen to a Pokemon series dubbed again??

Not that I'm holding my breath, but if they manage to bring back some key 4Kids alumni it'll be even better.

Here's hoping for a decent intro too!

Alejandra Reynoso is revealed to be the voice of Liko
Yeah, I was wondering "where do I recognize her from?" and then I remembered that she voiced Flora in the Nickelodeon dub of Winx Club. Interesting to note is that Liko is now the second main character of the anime to share an English VA with Flora, with Eileen Stevens (Iris' original VA) having also voiced her in Season 7, which was dubbed by DuArt.

Pretty sure Reynoso is new to working on Pokemon as well, and I'm assuming Roy's VA is also a series newcomer.

Liko & Roy sound good! Friede sounds deeper/rougher(?) than I would expect. Amethio sounds higher than I expected.

Happy to see Zeno Robinson voice the Rotom Phone & continuing the Goh-to-Rotom Phone pipeline like with Daiki Yamashita.
Seems like he's voicing Fuecoco as well. It surely seems to be intentional that they're casting Zeno Robinson in all the roles that Daiki Yamashita voiced in Japan.

So far, how I'd rank the English dub VAs (IMO), based on the trailers (it's early, I'm not going to make a final judgment based on their first appearances at all, just first impressions):

Liko- Honestly, a pretty good performance and perfectly serviceable whenever she's speaking normally: I think it matches her shy and reluctant nature very well. However, she starts to sound like she's in her late teens-early 20s when yelling or having to shout, and that needs some work for now. I certainly think it's a more likable protagonist voice than Sarah Natochenny's Ash was to me, honestly (that said, she is a lovely woman who I hope to meet one day in person & seems very nice, but neither her rendition nor Kayzie Rogers' take, ever resonated with me the way Veronica Taylor's did and I always felt the recast in general, was a gigantic error on TPCi's part). 8.5/10

Amethio- It's okay/tolerable, but I feel it's a bit bland so far & nothing outstanding either, so far. 7.5/10

Friede- It's great Freeman is back, and it's nice to see a script writer of the early 4Kids Era (Kanto-OI) get promoted to a major role in the franchise in the modern TPCi Era, but his voice is still a bit deeper than I imagined for the role. Hopefully, he'll iron out the performance in time, but it's at least unique & I like they didn't go with Saab as I feared. Has potential, but needs some refinement, IMO. 7/10

Roy- This is scratchy, raspy, and effeminate to me: not a fan, but seems to be at its most tolerable in soft moments. This VA needs work on this role, IMO, we'll see how they do as things progress though. 5.5/10

Narrator- I like Blum, but going to have to agree with @R.O.B. this sounds...seductive-ish? I preferred Pollock and Parsons' very grandfatherly, kind, and warm portrayals to this one, thus far: he is a renowned VA, but Ortiz needs to direct this part a bit better. 5/10

Dub Music: Goldfarb/10 (Seriously, though, not keeping most or all of the OST in an Anime dub in 2023 continues to stand out like a sore thumb from Pokémon- really shameful stuff on the part of TPCi since for all their faults, 4Kids was decent enough in their heyday to keep a lot of the OST, and at their worst never got as bad about how much of the score was replaced as the XY-present Era has been largely in that department. It's not Ed Goldfarb's fault since he's only doing what he's hired to do, but it is TPCi's, and it's an antiquated practice in this day & age that really needs to go away IMO.)

Script Writing: N/A, I can't judge it based on one trailer, but I will say Liko not saying, "So psyched," "'Kay," "Down the hatch," or "Stoked," and Amethio not rhyming/alliterating nonstop or saying "Dig it" or "lugs" is promising so far from our mysterious writer whose identity has yet to be revealed.

Yeah, I was wondering "where do I recognize her from?" and then I remembered that she voiced Flora in the Nickelodeon dub of Winx Club. Interesting to note is that Liko is now the second main character of the anime to share an English VA with Flora, with Eileen Stevens (Iris' original VA) having also voiced her in Season 7, which was dubbed by DuArt.

Pretty sure Reynoso is new to working on Pokemon as well, and I'm assuming Roy's VA is also a series newcomer.

Seems like he's voicing Fuecoco as well. It surely seems to be intentional that they're casting Zeno Robinson in all the roles that Daiki Yamashita voiced in Japan.
Interestingly, Winx Club was dubbed by 4Kids, Nick, and DuArt at different intervals: most people tend to think the Nickelodeon's dub version was the most faithful adaption to Rainbow S.P.A., 4Kids' version had the best VA work but ridiculous censorship (which is par for the course for a lot of what they handled), but DuArt had the most wide pool of VAs in its roster, regarding that Series from what I can tell.

Personally, I think that Liko and Friede are a bit heavy (or a little too deep) making them seem a bit too old. Though, maybe I’m just too used to the Japanese voices.

I think the narrator sounds too serious. I feel like a monologue about the world of Pokémon should be full of excitement and joy.

My favorite part about the dub though is the Sprigatito meow. I’m so so glad that Sprigatito isn’t changing. On the other hand with Fuecoco, I’m not sure how well it’ll work. I hope that the English voice actor does relatively the same pitch as the Japanese one.

I’m not too much of a dub person so I might be biased. I know other characters had their voices revealed though I don’t have any feeling about them.

So far, how I'd rank the English dub VAs (IMO), based on the trailers (it's early, I'm not going to make a final judgment based on their first appearances at all, just first impressions):

Liko- Honestly, a pretty good performance and perfectly serviceable whenever she's speaking normally: I think it matches her shy and reluctant nature very well. However, she starts to sound like she's in her late teens-early 20s when yelling or having to shout, and that needs some work for now. I certainly think it's a more likable protagonist voice than Sarah Natochenny's Ash was to me, honestly (that said, she is a lovely woman who I hope to meet one day in person & seems very nice, but neither her rendition nor Kayzie Rogers' take, ever resonated with me the way Veronica Taylor's did and I always felt the recast in general, was a gigantic error on TPCi's part). 8.5/10

Amethio- It's okay/tolerable, but I feel it's a bit bland so far & nothing outstanding either, so far. 7.5/10

Friede- It's great Freeman is back, and it's nice to see a script writer of the early 4Kids Era (Kanto-OI) get promoted to a major role in the franchise in the modern TPCi Era, but his voice is still a bit deeper than I imagined for the role. Hopefully, he'll iron out the performance in time, but it's at least unique & I like they didn't go with Saab as I feared. Has potential, but needs some refinement, IMO. 7/10

Roy- This is scratchy, raspy, and effeminate to me: not a fan, but seems to be at its most tolerable in soft moments. This VA needs work on this role, IMO, we'll see how they do as things progress though. 5.5/10

Narrator- I like Blum, but going to have to agree with @R.O.B. this sounds...seductive-ish? I preferred Pollock and Parsons' very grandfatherly, kind, and warm portrayals to this one, thus far: he is a renowned VA, but Ortiz needs to direct this part a bit better. 5/10

Dub Music: Goldfarb/10 (Seriously, though, not keeping most or all of the OST in an Anime dub in 2023 continues to stand out like a sore thumb from Pokémon- really shameful stuff on the part of TPCi since for all their faults, 4Kids was decent enough in their heyday to keep a lot of the OST, and at their worst never got as bad about how much of the score was replaced as the XY-present Era has been largely in that department. It's not Ed Goldfarb's fault since he's only doing what he's hired to do, but it is TPCi's, and it's an antiquated practice in this day & age that really needs to go away IMO.)

Script Writing: N/A, I can't judge it based on one trailer, but I will say Liko not saying, "So psyched," "'Kay," "Down the hatch," or "Stoked," and Amethio not rhyming/alliterating nonstop or saying "Dig it" or "lugs" is promising so far from our mysterious writer whose identity has yet to be revealed.

Interestingly, Winx Club was dubbed by 4Kids, Nick, and DuArt at different intervals: most people tend to think the Nickelodeon's dub version was the most faithful adaption to Rainbow S.P.A., 4Kids' version had the best VA work but ridiculous censorship (which is par for the course for a lot of what they handled), but DuArt had the most wide pool of VAs in its roster, regarding that Series from what I can tell.
Never forget... 4kids removed a slap from Musa to Darcy and changed it to her casting a wart spell on there instead...

Never forget... 4kids removed a slap from Musa to Darcy and changed it to her casting a wart spell on there instead...
Yeah, Winx Club was questionable from them, IIRC Straffi wasn’t happy with the censorship but many liked their VA choices a lot so the 4Kids version had that going for it IIRC?

Anjali has done work in recent Yu-Gi-Oh stuff, I’ve heard her before there, this is…yeah, I’m going to have to say, it needs work imo.

Is Sarah Natochenny dub Sprigatito? I'm curious who she voices in this Series.

So far Blum's Narrator voice and Anjali's Roy are my biggest misses, Freeman's Friede is perfect casting but deeper than expected, and I think Reynoso's Liko and whoever is Amethio are pretty good thus far initially. We'll see how that changes over the course of Horizons, I suppose (I wonder who Buckland is, as well)?

Back
Top Bottom