• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Future Pokemon Game Speculation Thread

@nickdt The VCG actually has a few solutions should Game Freak really need more time:
  1. Add more Pokémon post release based on the Pokémon reintroduced through the remakes/experimental title. It’s not like they can’t patch in Pokémon in a game mid-generation. This would be the most feasible solution too.
  2. Give us brand new Pokémon in current VGC titles, Paradox or otherwise. This could go one of two ways:
    1. People like the Paradox Pokémon well enough, so why not add more of them? This wouldn’t really need much explanation in-universe.
    2. If they need brand new regular Pokémon, the academy is actually the perfect excuse since they could frame the discovery of brand new Pokémon as part of a research project for the academy students.
  3. Undo Dexit solely as a stall tactic, even if just for the current titles specifically. This most likely won’t happen, but it could buy them an extra year.
Given how they haven’t tried to stall using any of these methods yet, you still have a point there.

However, the TCG has always had their own gimmicks before they started to adopt those from the game. There’s no reason the TCG in specific needs the three year cycle to do that, at least not get impacted by a single year. If they needed new Pokémon, then they could always use the TCG to introduce a handful of new species. If the Anime can introduce new Pokémon early and Pokémon GO can introduce new species and forms as well, then why can’t the TCG?

We're basically talking about delaying the franchise an entire year just for the sake of an anniversary. I'm not really expecting that.
It kinda happened in 2015 where its one of the few times where there is no new mainline game or DLC but there is speculation that Pokémon Z was planned at one point since the anime did stuff related to Zygarde beginning in late 2015.

A Pokemon Z of some sort was planned to be released in 2015, as there were data for two more games in Gen 6.

Plus, I don't think the Switch 2 is even going to be released this year, why would Nintendo suddenly end their sales when the Switch and its games have not slowed down in sales? The only reason to bring a Switch 2 this early is if it has backward compatibility. Otherwise, a Switch 2 isn't going to be released this year. Gen 10 would definitely start on the Switch 2, further adding to the idea of Gen 10 being delayed.

Plus, I don't think the Switch 2 is even going to be released this year, why would Nintendo suddenly end their sales when the Switch and its games have not slowed down in sales? The only reason to bring a Switch 2 this early is if it has backward compatibility. Otherwise, a Switch 2 isn't going to be released this year. Gen 10 would definitely start on the Switch 2, further adding to the idea of Gen 10 being delayed.
Agreed!

Sales are gradually going down, but there are other reasons why they might want to release a successor now. At a certain point, the hardware just becomes too old and too limited to accomplish what developers want to do with it, and so they stop producing games for the older hardware. We're seeing that to a degree with the Switch, some third parties don't want to develop their games, or at least not their definitive versions of their games, on the Switch and would rather opt for newer hardware such as PS5, XBSX, or newer, higher end PCs. Heck, there's some signs that Nintendo might even be ready to move on to something stronger, we've seen some games here and there that have some technical issues that feel a bit strained by the Switch hardware, and they might just have new hardware ideas that could facilitate new games we've never seen before (Nintendo does love their hardware gimmicks, and the Switch 2 might have one as well instead of just being a stronger Switch). There's a sense that the Switch has sufficiently aged (it's been 7 years since the Switch launched, most consoles see their successors around that time) and that the games being developed for it, and the sales as a result, are going to fall off a cliff soon because it's holding developers back. Nintendo may be trying to get ahead of this and keep the momentum going into the next generation instead of letting sales tank and Switch users potentially departing for competitors and never looking back.

But as I said earlier, Pokemon is typically a somewhat late adopter for new hardware (or at least later than some might prefer) and tends to wait until Year 2 or 3 to make the jump to new hardware. Even if the Switch 2 does launch this year, whatever new main series game we may end up getting will likely just be on the OG Switch. If we're lucky, we could get a spinoff on Switch 2 at launch year, but beyond that we're probably looking until more along the lines of 2025/2026 for the main series to debut on new hardware.

I think some sort of mobile game update, plus some sort of Mystery Dungeon remake.

They also cut gen 6 short for the express purpose of an anniversary, there's nothing saying they could do the inverse
It's still not something I expect. They've stuck to the three year gen rule hard, even to the point where they put out two mainline games in one year. Also, there's VGC to take into account and I don't know if fans would like using Scarlet and Violet for VGC four years in a row, and all the other aspects of the franchise that depend on the three year cycle like the anime, TCG, and merchandising. I'm expecting Gen 10 to come out in 2025 and in 2026 they'll just release Gen 10's DLC.

It's still not something I expect. They've stuck to the three year gen rule hard, even to the point where they put out two mainline games in one year. Also, there's VGC to take into account and I don't know if fans would like using Scarlet and Violet for VGC four years in a row, and all the other aspects of the franchise that depend on the three year cycle like the anime, TCG, and merchandising. I'm expecting Gen 10 to come out in 2025 and in 2026 they'll just release Gen 10's DLC.
I know this probably sounds like I’m a broken record, but I’ll reiterate my previous point real quick:

Why can’t the TCG and existing games release a brand new batch of Pokémon if the anime and Pokémon GO have introduced species before they were available in the mainline games? Why does it always have to be a brand new generational release when the new region introduced hasn’t been the main focus of the anime, other spinoff media, or even the merchandise sales for the two most recent generations aside from the TCG? No one has really tried to comment on these points, and I really would appreciate an explanation as to why instead of just constantly repeating these points.

I know this probably sounds like I’m a broken record, but I’ll reiterate my previous point real quick:

Why can’t the TCG and existing games release a brand new batch of Pokémon if the anime and Pokémon GO have introduced species before they were available in the mainline games? Why does it always have to be a brand new generational release when the new region introduced hasn’t been the main focus of the anime, other spinoff media, or even the merchandise sales for the two most recent generations aside from the TCG? No one has really tried to comment on these points, and I really would appreciate an explanation as to why instead of just constantly repeating these points.
I don't think that they are allowed to create new Pokémon. The closest we got were Bonsly and Munchlax appearing in some spinoffs, although in those cases DP got delayed. Nearly all Pokémon were created specifically for the main series, with the only exceptions being Lugia and the Meltan line.

Can't we hold off the "2025 is a gap year" discussions for a year when we have more information about Switch 2, this year's game and the 30th anniversary? Please?

But if it happens (which I kinda doubt to be honest) the anime, merchandise and VGC can take the hit. The anime in particular is very slow-paced and also arc-based so it can invent literally anything to pass the time, and the merchandise could be based on older regions (I don't even remember a huge influx of Meltan merchandise in 2018, it was mostly Eevee). The VCG could do the same they did in 2016 where they allowed legendaries into the format, and also a common complaint about it these days is that it changes too quickly, some local competitions are done within weeks of a game's release.

Plus, they have more than enough Pokemon who haven't even appeared in the TCG or the anime that they can just use, not to mention what characters they can use as well.

Plus, they have more than enough Pokemon who haven't even appeared in the TCG or the anime that they can just use, not to mention what characters they can use as well.
Also some Pokemon even before Gen 8 such as lot of the Legendaries/Mythicals (lot of them just show up in a movie or short but not the anime series) and Klang for some reason (it never appeared in the anime outside of the movies).

Can't we hold off the "2025 is a gap year" discussions for a year when we have more information about Switch 2, this year's game and the 30th anniversary? Please?

But if it happens (which I kinda doubt to be honest) the anime, merchandise and VGC can take the hit. The anime in particular is very slow-paced and also arc-based so it can invent literally anything to pass the time, and the merchandise could be based on older regions (I don't even remember a huge influx of Meltan merchandise in 2018, it was mostly Eevee). The VCG could do the same they did in 2016 where they allowed legendaries into the format, and also a common complaint about it these days is that it changes too quickly, some local competitions are done within weeks of a game's release.

The only way i believe gen 10 isn't coming in 2025, is if Switch 2 comes out in 2025, since Pokemon is always a year/year and a half late to the party.

Mario and Zelda are considered the System sellers, while Pokemon is considered the system pusher.

The only way i believe gen 10 isn't coming in 2025, is if Switch 2 comes out in 2025, since Pokemon is always a year/year and a half late to the party.

Mario and Zelda are considered the System sellers, while Pokemon is considered the system pusher.
Considering the current sales numbers of the Switch and how it's only 15 to 16 million away from matching to exceeding the PS2 in sales, I would not be surprised if Nintendo did, indeed, hold off on releasing Switch 2 or whatever it will be called until sometime in 2025. Not only does it help the Switch reach that milestone much more easily then it would if the Switch 2 released this year, it will also allow Nintendo to have more stock when the system is released so scalpers will have a harder time getting all of the systems and being able to resell them at exorbitant prices like with what happened with the PS5 and XBox Series of systems.

I can't be the only one who hates the ARPG/real-time combat they included in Legends: Arceus, and kind of disliked it for that reason, can I? I really hope it was a one-time thing, but I have a feeling that another one for Johto is going to come out. I actually wouldn't mind if they'd just leave out the real-time combat, which really stresses me out. I didn't even finish Arceus because I knew that the fight against Arceus would be a combination of all the earlier real-time fights. I feel so alone. I did love the ambience and the characters, though. The story was pretty good, too.

I do think Johto is more likely before Unova, because I have a brain that likes to look for patterns and it has noticed the pattern of remakes being released every other gen (except for FRLG being in Gen III). But I know that things don't always go the way you expect them to. I certainly never would have expected something like Legends: Arceus to come out.

Another possibility is a Let's Go-style game, which I would be okay with (more than an Arceus-style game, anyway). But what I would really like--for either Johto or Unova--would be an ORAS-style remake that isn't a carbon copy of the originals, but adds some cool lore and maybe a new character or two. I really loved the redesigns of Team Aqua and Magma, as well as the Delta Episode. ORAS are my favorite remakes by far.

But I think that both another Legends game, or another Let's Go game, are more likely, sadly.

I can't be the only one who hates the ARPG/real-time combat they included in Legends: Arceus, and kind of disliked it for that reason, can I? I really hope it was a one-time thing, but I have a feeling that another one for Johto is going to come out. I actually wouldn't mind if they'd just leave out the real-time combat, which really stresses me out. I didn't even finish Arceus because I knew that the fight against Arceus would be a combination of all the earlier real-time fights. I feel so alone. I did love the ambience and the characters, though. The story was pretty good, too.

I do think Johto is more likely before Unova, because I have a brain that likes to look for patterns and it has noticed the pattern of remakes being released every other gen (except for FRLG being in Gen III). But I know that things don't always go the way you expect them to. I certainly never would have expected something like Legends: Arceus to come out.

Another possibility is a Let's Go-style game, which I would be okay with (more than an Arceus-style game, anyway). But what I would really like--for either Johto or Unova--would be an ORAS-style remake that isn't a carbon copy of the originals, but adds some cool lore and maybe a new character or two. I really loved the redesigns of Team Aqua and Magma, as well as the Delta Episode. ORAS are my favorite remakes by far.

But I think that both another Legends game, or another Let's Go game, are more likely, sadly.
Let’s Go which released in Gen 7 were remakes of Yellow or at least a reimagining of it.

Back
Top Bottom