• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Getting over the shame of writing Fanfiction

Twilight isn't fanfiction to anything. Vampires are a general enough topic that writing about them isn't fanfic. I wish people would stop saying it is as a means of calling it shoddy writing, because that says that fanfics are shoddy writing, and really that varies considerably.

Agree totally.

As for shame in writing fan fic; what shame is there? You are writing your story for your enjoyment. Yes, you are using other characters but the story is what counts.

Exactly. As long as you're having fun, who cares?

On a side note, I actually heard one of my friends refer to Vergil's epic The Aeneid as fan fiction... I actually think he is right.

I always thought Dante's Divine Comedy was fanfiction for the Bible.

Based off other, more popular, work - check.
Tons and tons of cameos - check
Author self-insertion - check
Characters who go on about how awesome the main character/author is - check

My god, I don't even have to read this thing to know it's really bad fan fiction.:banana:

Yeah and Divine Comedy is considered great literature. But if you do what Dante did (take passages from another piece of work and insert the author of said work in your book, all without the author's consent), I can almost assure you that your ass will be sued.

Based off other, more popular, work - check.
Tons and tons of cameos - check
Author self-insertion - check
Characters who go on about how awesome the main character/author is - check

My god, I don't even have to read this thing to know it's really bad fan fiction.:banana:

Dante: the world's first Gary Stu.

I haven't read much of this thread, but I'm tired of seeing it bumped up.

PRO TIP:

If you're ashamed of writing fanfiction, remember that you're on THE INTERNET. Nobody knows who you are, nobody cares who you are. You will never meet these people you communicate with in real life. Ever.

Don't worry about your "reputation" because you don't have one on the internet. Everyone is anonymous. Even if you do "have one", it's completely irrelevant to who you are as a person in the world. (i.e., the stuff you write here will in no way affect your life outside of the computer unless you're a huge dweeb who takes everything personally)

/thread.

It's also important to acknowledge that, while the characters are not yours, you are still getting practice with certain character archetypes. You see them all across the board in all sorts of mediums (not to mention in real life). I believe that writing fan-fiction can be a helpful tool because of this. It is a nifty skill to learn characterization and manipulation which can eventually be applied when one decides to do their own writing.

Personally, I don't feel as though there is any shame in writing fan-fiction. It is just a fun hobby and a way to express your ideas in a way that appeals to a wider audience (in contrast to random ideas that amuse only you). Just have fun with it.

Edit:
It seriously is. xD

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom