• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How about the female hero being a lead again?

I want it to be Ash, Cilan, and May (or Dawn [better than Iris or Misty]) and I want her to be a full co-star and I want both contests and sommeliers to be in pokefrance :)

If they use the next player character, it'll be the girl with blonde hair shown in the X and Y trailers.

We've never had a blonde on the main cast so its possible.

I believe on large part people dislike toward idea of female sidekick being included in show again largely comes from fact how many of us got used and spoiled to female protagonists, contests, and co- star status Dawn shared with Ash , having very hard time to deal with main female being supporting character rather than star around who anime is centered.

Back than when original series aired i remembered no one mind that Misty and Brock aren't co-stars with people appreciating chemistry they brought, valuable role they played in Ash growth as trainer, involvement in various episodes which dealt with diverse storylines while getting focus dedicated to themselves in between.

Its like we forgot to enjoy in essence of what this show is about being centered on journey not destination, adventure aspect of Ash and his friends exploring pokemon and its world building on their friendship with all gaining experience and working toward dreams.

I don't know about others, but if there is one thing i noticed was how whenever we had girl sidekick in cast dynamic in group was usually much more chipper and entertaining. Difference can especially be noticed when comparing BW and OS with DP group. There doesn't exist such discrepancy in screen time character gets with Misty and Brock or Iris and Cilan not feeling left out for most part, actually getting enough focus feeling like they are part of group. Compared to get go set up we had in Sinnoh with attention toward characters being so unbalanced to the point that third party (Brock) along with several other characters were shafted in process.

And series in general have more adventurous feeling to it treating everyone equally on their journeys with non game quests usually having dash of mystery and unpredictability being possible to take them in several directions,m rather than just one in advance set up pattern game quests follow.

So while i enjoyed in May contest quest, extravagant rivals and growth a lot, and in good chunk of Dawn story arc if receiving another female sidekick would mean more lively dynamic and humor in cast, with all characters in cast remaining active instead of shunning others at expense to give other more than needed than yes im all for another gym leader or even anime exclusive girl.

To me what matters the most about character is his personality and attitude which is one of most crucial ingredients required to make series enjoyable and appeal their dreams bring with themselves. How much spotlight someone is going to receive isn't deciding factor in here, because isd all about quality and not amount of focus they receive, with characters which receive large amount of screen time often ending developed worse than those who got less.

People should take a look at sidekicks in other anime like Yugioh, Bakugan, Beyblade etc. Because term shafted and underdeveloped gets whole new meaning there.

Bringing Cilan into the new generation would be a poor move on the writer's part. His goal is too ambiguous which will lead to fillers and pretty much the writers running out for things for Cilan to do (it seems like they already have). Notice how all the characters with open-ended goals usually ran out of steam or ran out of things to do at the half way point, Misty with "Water type master" Brock with "Pokemon Breeder/Doctor", Iris with "Dragon Master" and Cilan with "Top Sommelier". They've made virtually no progress at all to achieving those goals, except starring in odd fillers. When they bring in a new female hero, she needs to have a goal that's close-enough in reach that she can be seen visually progressing in as the series goes on, much like Ash and his collecting Gym badges. While we're on the subject, I think having the male hero be Ash's male sidekick could be a welcome change, but I digress.

There is difference between character "running its course" and poor writing with every above mentioned example having room to go forward.

With Misty more notable focus on her career of water master didn't even started until last season during Whirl islands which only expanded abit on it being like prelude. Along with few episodes centered around her and learning how to bond closer with water types.
In her case it was obvious how there was left room to be done much more, but due to writers inexperience still learning along with formula back than mainly being centered around Ash journey growing with help of companions, insufficient amount of focus on her own story which ended underdeveloped can be excused.

Regarding Iris, amount of screen time she received is perfectly fine for supporting character with problem not being in quantity, but way in which that focus was used treating her growth in unbelievable, rushed manner.
Along with added fact how Iris used one of most rare and scarce types out there(dragons), which really limits what writers could do with her not having enough variety as type on its own and substance to create benchmarks (chain of events focusing solely on her career)through which she could actively advance. For same reason her goal was given relatively simple route requiring only to evolve Axew and learn to understand dragon feelings .

As far as Brock and Cilan go i guess they were never intended to go through a lot of development with main purpose lying in being like older caretaker/big brother of group who cooks, takes care of them and brings stability in main cast. For same reason for instance Cilan as character has never really been build up for anything ever since he joined cast with role and purpose being more to serve as comic relief, someone who brings comedy and entertainment value to cast rater than going through some huge change and development . Hence explaining why his rivalry with Burgundy is treated like joke being mostly to serve for additional source of humor, as well whole connoisseur goal barely moving forward.

To be honest male sidekicks are never intended to receive much focus and growth like girls or Ash does.

Likewise i don't think we need girl which receives dose of focus co-star character would receive with focus May or sidekick would normally receive being good enough for me, nor collect some sort of tokens like Ash or coordinators do to truly have believable, well planned growth which can be executed in more than just one way we got used to follow so far.
Each character performs different role, has different story, different goals established around himself and purpose. Therefore how much focus he is going to receive if he stays isn't determined solely through how relevant he is to new games, but also in how active and flexible his story and traits which define him are.
Sometimes less is more and regardless of all imperfections i can say i enjoyed more in Misty and May despite getting less than Dawn did.

Highly doubt contests are coming back and I highly doubt that the writers would bring in a co-star after using two sidekicks once again. If it'll be like Dawn-Brock in Gen 4, NO NO NO NO NO!!

Highly doubt contests are coming back and I highly doubt that the writers would bring in a co-star after using two sidekicks once again. If it'll be like Dawn-Brock in Gen 4, NO NO NO NO NO!!

If they were willing to bring back the female sidekick after two co-stars, especially with how much attention they give to Dawn in DP, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to go back to another female co-star, especially when I'm pretty sure that they had two sidekicks again as a reference to Kanto. As long as the sidequest is either Contests or something new that they want to promote, then I think that the chances are good that they'll bring them back. I honestly wouldn't mind it if the next co-star had as much screentime as Dawn, as long as she had a likable personality and actually developed. Even though I prefer the amount of screentime May got, it still would be better to actually use the time effectively for any character. Brock did get less screentime than he probably would have in DP as a result, but I thought that he still got some good focused episodes every now and then. Besides that, I'd rather see them developing at least one of the other characters in the main group fairly well instead of doing nothing well with either of them like I think what happened with both Iris and Cilan. Cilan is more entertaining of the two for me, but I still don't think that having a female sidekick really benefited him any more than if they had a female co-star.

I also just don't want Ash's Gym badge quest to be the only focus in the series again. After watching AG and DP, going back to just Ash's badge quest really felt like a step back. It might have been more tolerable/less empty if the battles were actually good and showed progression his in journey, but most of the Gym battles in BW have been terrible. At least with a female co-star, they could spend more time on another character's battles, potentially flesh them out more, along with their Pokemon and rivals, and spend more time on making better battles. I don't see any advantage in going with another female sidekick, especially with how both Misty and Iris have turned out for me, and I see at least potential for good things with another female co-star. I don't think it would be perfect by any means, but I think that there's a better chance for a third female co-star to turn out at least decently than another female sidekick.

I think the female's next role on the show will all depend on time.

Screw what we think about deserved character development. Screw what we think about promotion. Screw what we think about story.

If Games A and B or V and W come out by 2016, we are indeed in for a rushed series and most likely a not so well balanced arc for anyone.

What advantaged May and Dawn was that when May was on the show, everything fell into place perfectly game wise and there were remakes as well so there was really no need to replace May and with that it was able to span out her contest arc for 2 parts.

Dawn got lucky with time too since BW games were only 4 years away and with remakes and BW games not so far in distance, it worked perfectly for Dawn. Especially when you consider you had a lot of Johto and Sinnoh Pokemon on the cast and some through evolution.

Iris unfortunately had a huge game title and little time on the show due to the next series of game time management to really be developed properly. Iris becoming a so-called "epic" character wasn't the problem, the delivery was.

Kasumi was the very first girl and for the most part it was understandable that she lacked in some areas of development, just like Ash did in Kanto and Johto screwed everyone over anyway. When one really thinks about it, all those fillers were about promotion and the time span until AG didn't help so until the writers were able to find better ways that was all they could think of.

My point is, a girl being the next female co-star will all depend game wise. Not only if there is an on-going goal to promote the games, but when the next saga's game comes out and what year that will be in.

If there is a 3 year time difference like there is for BW, the fanbase will most likely be screwed....AGAIN. Here's hoping they take at least 4 years for well-developed episodes.

The writers only really created two types of female leads anyway. Its either the tomboyish female tag along Gym leader or the girly female coordinator. That's it.

Both Dawn and Iris were merely, "new versions" of May and Misty. That's why Dawn was similar to May, and why Iris is similar to Misty. The writers took the same character type and made a slightly new version of an older character.

The writers only really created two types of female leads anyway. Its either the tomboyish female tag along Gym leader or the girly female coordinator. That's it.

Both Dawn and Iris were merely, "new versions" of May and Misty. That's why Dawn was similar to May, and why Iris is similar to Misty. The writers took the same character type and made a slightly new version of an older character.
Yes because Misty can scale a tree and May loves dressing up in girly crap all the time.

The girls share character tropes like the snarker and the chick, but they are not slightly modified carbon copies of each other.

I don't see that at all. There are some similar traits with some of the female characters, but they certainly aren't new versions of the others. Dawn was more into traditionally girly stuff than May was. May was more tomboyish than Dawn was at least and wasn't as into battling as Dawn was for a good chuck of AG. The main similarity Misty and Iris share personality wise is that they're easily annoyed/angered.

I remember back in 2006 people called Dawn, "the new Misty" because she had a water type Piplup, and at the beginning it looked like she would argue with Ash (as seen in Nando's first ep), like Misty used to. Of course Dawn's temper died down early in DP when the writers re-tooled her as a very girly character.

Then when Iris came along people called her, "the new Misty," because everyone realized she was a lot more similar to Misty than Dawn was.

I remember back in 2006 people called Dawn, "the new Misty" because she had a water type Piplup, and at the beginning it looked like she would argue with Ash (as seen in Nando's first ep), like Misty used to. Of course Dawn's temper died down early in DP when the writers re-tooled her as a very girly character.

Then when Iris came along people called her, "the new Misty," because everyone realized she was a lot more similar to Misty than Dawn was.

Dawn was always a girly character when she wanted to take those different clothes on her journey. That wasn't thrown in at the last minute. Just having one Water type, or two when she did get Buizel, doesn't really make her any similar to Misty. Even the arguing wasn't similar to Misty when she got more on Ash's case for making stupid decisions, which didn't happen as much in DP anyway. Iris is more similar to Misty than either May or Dawn were, but even then, I wouldn't consider those two the same character with different designs. There are pretty clear differences between them.

I didn't agree with it, but that's what people posted in the early DP era back in 2006 and 2007. You could probably still find those posts with the search feature.

Anyway I did think Dawn had a bit of a temper when DP first started, especially the way she interacted with Piplup and Ash a bit early on. The fights during the Nando episode and not getting as along with the group to sleeping in a private tent/ And don't forget how she blew up at Paul at Roark's Gym for forgetting her name.

Kind of a shame the writers dropped that aspect of Dawn's character so early. They probably weren't sure what they wanted her personality to be yet and then they re-tooled her into a very girly and fashion-oriented character.

I think its pretty much a given how in anime which so often changes characters some similarities between them are bound to happen. But one or two traits they share in common doesn't make them clones of each other.

Only real similarity between Iris and Misty in personality sense is sarcasm and certain characteristics of being like tomboy. But taking that aside it was showed how there exist clear distinct differences between this two characters. With Iris being known for her hyperactive and wild attitude, being sometimes even abit invasive when hugging other pokemon. While Misty was more impulsive changing mood quickly, deep romantic, outspoken and passionate about her hobbies and pokemon.

I never got impression of this two girls being "cardboard cut out copies" of each other perceiving them as different persons with different principles and aims set in their mind.

Similarity between Dawn and Misty is even smaller, so im not sure on what ground anyone draw parallel of "Dawn being new Misty"? They barely have anything in common as characters.

Kind of a shame the writers dropped that aspect of Dawn's character so early. They probably weren't sure what they wanted her personality to be yet and then they re-tooled her into a very girly and fashion-oriented character.

I never got impression of Dawn being designed as highly impulsive and temperament type of character. Yes she sometimes went in clash with Ash or other characters like Paul but that was typical way how everyone reacts in real life when provoked or annoyed by something, rather than trait which defined Dawn personality.

It was no more different to me than Dawn moments of annoyance when her hair was messed up, when Ursula spur her causing exasperation etc.

They're not going to keep Iris and Cilan next gen, the writers won't repeat what they did with Misty and Brock. They're learned from their mistakes.

oh and i assume your a writer for the show. you can not say there not going to do something and expect it to be true. i dont want them back but im not going to sit here and say i know what the writers are doing with x/y because not me or you know what there going to do

oh and i assume your a writer for the show. you can not say there not going to do something and expect it to be true. i dont want them back but im not going to sit here and say i know what the writers are doing with x/y because not me or you know what there going to do

While that is true, I seriously doubt that they're going to keep Iris around. They've already setup her becoming a Gym Leader, so they clearly aren't interested in keeping her around after BW ends. They still like changing around the female characters for promotional reasons, along with just having girls in different outfits, and I don't think that's going to change with Iris, especially when they haven't even done a lot with her in BW to make me think that the idea of her staying for another series is even possible. While I didn't quite agree with people who thought that Dawn would stay after DP, I at least could see why they'd think that given how much screentime she got.

Cilan is the only one out of the two with a chance to stay and I think I'd prefer that. He is still a pretty fun character and I think I'd rather see them introduce only one new character again instead of two since I don't think that the writers were able to handle two new sidekick characters that well in BW. Only introducing one new character might be a better choice than getting two new ones again.

While that is true, I seriously doubt that they're going to keep Iris around. They've already setup her becoming a Gym Leader, so they clearly aren't interested in keeping her around after BW ends. They still like changing around the female characters for promotional reasons, along with just having girls in different outfits, and I don't think that's going to change with Iris, especially when they haven't even done a lot with her in BW to make me think that the idea of her staying for another series is even possible. While I didn't quite agree with people who thought that Dawn would stay after DP, I at least could see why they'd think that given how much screentime she got.

Cilan is the only one out of the two with a chance to stay and I think I'd prefer that. He is still a pretty fun character and I think I'd rather see them introduce only one new character again instead of two since I don't think that the writers were able to handle two new sidekick characters that well in BW. Only introducing one new character might be a better choice than getting two new ones again.

when exactly did they make it clear she was going to be a gym leader

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom