• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do you feel about Iris not sticking to dragon pokemon?

Cybersai

Reaction score
When Iris Excadrill was shown, a lot of people excused it because its essentially considered a mole dragon in Japan, even though its not a dragon type. However now that she's getting a cute electric pokemon, its safe to say her team will probably drift to other types from here on out.

Brock also did not stick to his type. He only ever captured one more rock pokemon in his entire run, (Bonsly/Sudowoodo), and instead had pokes of all different types like Vulpix, Foretess, Crobat, Ludicolo, Marshtompt, Croagunk, Happiny, etc.

So Misty, excluding Togepi, is the only character to stay with an entire team of the same type. Do you think the writers feel that it is boring if a character has all pokemon of the same type?

A lot of people complained Misty's pokemon all had similar moves and abilities, and it really restricted her battles because half of them either couldn't battle, (Togepi/Psyduck), or couldn't battle on land, (Goldeen/Horsea), or were clones, (Staryu/Starmie), of one another.

I think they are doing this so Iris doesn't fall into that trap, even though dragon pokemon do tend to have lots of different abilities and attacks over water pokemon.

It's okay, I guess. Besides, the only other Dragon type Pokemon she could capture would be Druddigon and Deino. And since Iris already has Excadrill, I don't see the writers giving her a Druddigon.

Last edited:
I find it unecessary. Why? What's the reason for this? In the long run I could see the character not have 100% dragon type, or dragon like Pokemon on her team.

Just thinking about it the other, day they could had easily given her a disobedient Druddigon instead of Excadrill.

And it's further sad to see this distance being made from her game counterpart and she hasn't achieved much in her run so far.

*sighs*

Maybe there's still hope..?

At this point Axew (and its evo's), will probably be the sole dragon pokemon Iris gets.

I really don't think she's going to get any of the others, they look far too powerful for her.

Well, the writers could give her a Deino, and have it evolve once.

They always like giving the female characters cute pokemon, so I tend to think this is why they strayed from her dragon roots.

Each girl usually has one strong/evolved Pokemon, (May and Combusken, Dawn and Mamoswine, and Iris Excadrill), while the rest start off as cute pokemon or babies.

Well, it would be boring for a character who is part of the main cast to own Pokemon of the same type... well I thought Misty's team was kinda boring, since she mostly had Water-types but its good to have variety, despite her being a Dragon-type trainer in the games. Besdies, Druddigon, the Deino line, & Axew line are the only Dragon-types in BW.... minus the legendaries.

I'm all for cuties on the girls teams. But still don't see the point in Excadrill when there was a dragon that could had done the same thing.

I really don't think she's going to get any of the others, they look far too powerful for her.

Excadrill is obviously a powerhouse, or powerhouse material. Druddigon, the least impressive looking of the three Unova Dragons, could had easily done the same job without straying the character that far from her games incarnation.

I'm all for cuties on the girls teams. But still don't see the point in Excadrill when there was a dragon that could had done the same thing.

Probably because its still a common pokemon. Its powerful without being super-rare or something like that.

Same (almost) goes for Druddigon. It's the most common of the three.

Either way, another thing that worries me about how her character will be deviated from the possibility of having another dragon, or a dragon like is how many Pokemon traveling partners without a quest have had.

What where the most Misty and Brock had at hand per arc? Three? Four?

Iris has most "slots" filled already, and how the show is handling her I can't picture her at the current time with another dragon (there only being 2 others thanks to the current no-pre Gen V Pokemon).

Misty actually had a full team of 6 in Johto, and Brock had a team of 5 in Johto, but that's only because they didn't leave behind their Kanto pokemon.

Misty only ever did make one capture in Johto, which was Corsola. Brock again, only made one capture, Pineco.

Kind of sad when you think about it.

I quite prefer it this way. Having the same types throughout the saga ruins the fun of the show. This question could apply also too Cilan.

Cilan doesn't really have a type. Just one elemental monkey, same as in the games.

Honestly I just want more screen time (and pokemon screen time) for her and Dento/Cilan. This season has been great, but the characters can use a little more attention. If she is getting any new pokemon, that's good in my book! (Don't spoil it for me, but if that electric pokemon she is getting is Emonga, then.. *skyward fist pump attack*) Still, I do hope she gets a Druddigon in the future.. especially if it is a training rival for Axew (But I have a feeling it will be a Rocket or a Plasma pokemon instead... I just think it's so cool though)

Iris will borrow Dragon-type Pokemon from Drayden for the 8th Gym Battle. Heck, she may have strong Pokemon withdrawn in her PC, and just acts like she can't Pokemon battle.

I dont have problems with it,Iris desire was never to become best one type trainer or anything with her main objective for now being to learn how to controll Axew and evolve it.Its good from time to time to add variety in characters team and by having IRis focus only on dragon types would make her too similar to Misty having basically a clone in this show.Not to mention small pool of dragon types available around there would really pose a problem for Iris if she were to catch exclusevily this kind of pokemon.
With Misty the could afford it considering how she used most widespreasded and numerous type out there.

Speaking of Misty im surprised that people still dont know why she catched mostly one type.She was for start water trainer coming from gym leader family which focus on one type.Her goals were different than other main characters we had wanting to becme water pokemon master(best water trainer in world)and her favorite type were water pokeon so it only made sense to have her stick with it.
Almost all of E4 are specialized in using one type,aswell some powerful trainers like Wallace who use only water piokemon managing to become Hoenn champion wit them and one of best known water trainers out there.Writers simply wanted to add variety to main group by having character who mostly use one type.

Because of this i find Misty being unique character since she was the only one who travelled with Ash striving to become best trainer with pokemon she loved so much standing out from the crowd.
Water pokemon as type have wide movepool of tehnicques being very diverse and i enjoyed in Misty battles where this pokemnon were used to full potential.LIke ones in Whirl Cup,third movie or against Marina in OI which were dynamic and truly epic.

Granted writers could have enrich her team with more variety but i can understand why they didnt not knowing how to handle things in same way as the learned later.

A lot of people complained Misty's pokemon all had similar moves and abilities, and it really restricted her battles because half of them either couldn't battle, (Togepi/Psyduck), or couldn't battle on land, (Goldeen/Horsea), or were clones, (Staryu/Starmie), of one another.

Problem wasnt in pokemon but in writers and their inexperience.They could have some of her pokenon learn different techniques like using psychic,thunder,ice beam etc but since they were new in writing back than they simply didnt know how to handle things right.
Going back to Kanto you can notice how Ash pokemon team used basic attacks too which only pertained with their types like Bulbasaur spamming us with razor leaf,charmander using only flamethrower etc.

Later on in Johto they started to add more variety to her team by giving her dual type pokemon who didnt relied only on water attacks like Corsola who knew mirror coat,recover and spike cannon,Politoad learned to use techniques like swagger and double team,Staryu increased its movepool with swift,double edge and rapid spin while Goldeen started using moves like supersonic but it was too late and not enough.

Speaking of likes like Goldeen or Horsea who cant battle on land thats another mistake made by writers.Orange islands was placed on water and Johto was full of lakes,rivers having water based events lik Whirl Cup where this pokemon could be used but they missed on opportunities.

Majoriots of people i met liked Mistys team finding it had more potential than it was showed but writers blew it not doing enough.

I think they are doing this so Iris doesn't fall into that trap, even though dragon pokemon do tend to have lots of different abilities and attacks over water pokemon.

Here is where i have to correct you.Water pokemon have more diverse abbilities and attacks over dragon pokemon simply because of fact of being second most paired type with other type of pokemon(first one being flying)having access to wider pole of moves being capable to use techniques from other types because of this aswell attacks specific for water pokemon starting to increase with moves like aqua jet,water pulse,razor shell (which is specific for pokemon like Oshawott)etc.

Last edited:
Cilan doesn't really have a type. Just one elemental monkey, same as in the games.

In the games he does state a preference for grass types (despite having a Lilipup in his team). Of course, very little of his in-game persona was transferred across to the anime.

As for Iris, I definitely approve. It's good that they're giving her a team with more diversity, rather than one which limits itself to only one type (and thus has the potential to be restrictive and monotonous). On top of everything else, it adds a nice layer of unpredictability to the show - I don't think anyone saw Iris's Excadrill coming before the BW009 preview, while the evidence pointing toward her Emolga capture was always rather amibiguous at best (sure, there was movie merchandise, but nothing specifically linking it to Iris). The same could be said for Cilan and Dwebble - prior to its debut episode, Dwebble probably wasn't the pokemon which first came to mind when thinking up potential captures for Cilan. Since Ash's acquisitions have been by and large quite predictable this generation (Scraggy being the big anomaly there), it's nice to see his travelling companions get a couple of wild cards in their arsenals.

Misty actually had a full team of 6 in Johto, and Brock had a team of 5 in Johto, but that's only because they didn't leave behind their Kanto pokemon.

Misty only ever did make one capture in Johto, which was Corsola. Brock again, only made one capture, Pineco.

Kind of sad when you think about it.

You ignore the fact she also had a Poliwhril and then a Politoed. Her team change wasn't just Corsola.

This isn't a thread about Misty. Infractions will be handed out if you guys keep bringing her up.

Other than what pokemon fan 132 said, which I agree with, I see another difference. The other gym leaders only joined Ash's journey once they were beaten as gym leaders. Once they got out of their gym, they had no real obligation to stick to one type (As evidenced by Brock having a diverse team, but still wanting the gym itself to stick to only rock types).

The difference with Iris is that her gym will be right at the end of the journey. So what were the writers going to do? Spam dragons throughout the saga, and then have it still be an in-anime "surprise" that she is a gym leader? I do hope she gets another dragon, but I don't know.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom