• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

International Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is really bad. Fortunately, Congress isn't in session and Lula's making a trip to Sao Paulo.
Rumors are already spreading that Bannon helped organize this attack.

Reminder that Bolsonaro himself is currently hiding in Florida, where he fled immedieatly after he stopped being president. What is it with Florida attracting all the far-right scumbags, like Trump and DeSantis?

Last edited:
Well, this is a hint to as to why Bolsonaro ran to Florida. Time to deport him to face justice, and to arrest any Americans who helped him.

Here's an article detailing the tight relationship between Bolsonaro and the architects of the January 6th insurrection.

Brazilian congressman Eduardo Bolsonaro, the president’s son, has visited Florida since the Oct. 30 vote, meeting Trump at Mar-a-Lago and strategizing with other political allies by phone. He spoke with former Trump strategist Stephen K. Bannon, who was in Arizona assisting the campaign of GOP gubernatorial candidate Kari Lake, about the power of the pro-Bolsonaro protests and potential challenges to the Brazilian election results, Bannon said.

American friends, themselves reeling from the historic underperformance of Republicans in the U.S. midterm elections, are acting as cheerleaders and advisers. Bolsonaro and Trump built a strong alliance when both were in office, Trump seeing a kindred spirit in the bombastic, social media-driven Bolsonaro. Trump’s advisers were drawn to Bolsonaro’s love of guns, his nationalism, his willingness to antagonize Brazil’s long-standing allies and slash environmental regulations, and his embrace of culture wars.

Eduardo Bolsonaro, the president’s third son, was often the glue in relationships between the two worlds. He has made multiple trips to Mar-a-Lago during his father’s tenure and was in Washington during the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection at the Capitol. He helped bring the Conservative Political Action Conference to Brazil.

Last edited:
Well, this is a hint to as to why Bolsonaro ran to Florida. Time to deport him to face justice, and to arrest any Americans who helped him.

Please deport him (and the people who helped him). No one asked him to come here.

What is it with Florida attracting all the far-right scumbags, like Trump and DeSantis?
Yeah like, why Florida?? I'm not from Florida so I really don't know why but if I had to guess I'd be because they're safer there??? I really don't know.

The insurrection failed. Guess it's time for Bolsonaro to wash his hands from this and claim that ANTIFA was behind the attack, just like Trump and his sycophants did.

Bolsonaro, a far-right former army captain whose main international ally was Trump, flew out of Brazil on the eve of Lula’s inauguration and is currently in Florida. He responded to Sunday’s events with a short string of social media posts defending his record in government while saying invasion of public buildings crossed the line.

“Peaceful demonstrations, within the law, form part of democracy,” he wrote on Twitter. “However, depredations and invasions of public buildings like those that happened today, as well as those practiced by the left in 2013 and 2017, are exceptions to the rule.”

Bolsonaro stopped short of condemning the mob outright and instead hit out at Lula’s claims that he was responsible.

Yep, just like Trump, he's doing everything he can to avoid outright condemning the attackers. It's really only a matter of time before the far-right starts spreading conspiracy theories blaming anyone but themselves for the insurrection.

Reports are coming out that up to 1200 fascist chuds were arrested so far. Hilariously, many of them were still camping next to military bases, where they were begging for the army to stage a right-wing coup. Instead, the soldiers today walked out of their base and promptly started mass arresting the surprised chuds in their hobo camps.

Hopefully we'll soon see the ringleaders in Florida getting arrested too.

At some point a country needs to react with force when this happens. Especially if lawmakers are involved, I mean it’s your own freaking Capitol and seat of power!

I understand using restraint with tear gas and rubber bullets, but the building and people inside need to be protected. People will keep doing things like this until they see that the police and military will fight back, and treat this as a rebellion/insurrection and respond appropriately.

In non international news, classified documents have been found at a Biden workplace and seemed to have been moved without permission.

Several classified documents from President Joe Biden’s time as vice president were discovered last fall in a private office, a source with knowledge of the matter tells CNN.

The National Archives has referred the matter to the Justice Department for further investigation, the source told CNN.

Biden’s lawyers found the government materials in November while closing out a Washington, DC-based office that Biden used as part of his relationship with the University of Pennsylvania, where he was an honorary professor from 2017 to 2019, the source said.

Last edited:
All eyes are now on Florida:

Democrats are concerned that Florida, run by a hardline Republican governor and presidential contender, Ron DeSantis, is increasingly becoming a hotbed for far-right putschists. Recent attempted coups in Haiti and Venezuela have been plotted from there and the state has become the permanent home of Donald Trump, a close Bolsonaro ally who continues his refusal to acknowledge his own election defeat in 2020, at his Mar-a-Lago resort.

The Washington insurrection by Trump supporters on 6 January 2021 is widely seen as a model for the Brasília attacks, and a top Trump aide, Steve Bannon, has been linked to the Bolsonaro family, spreading false claims on social media alleging that last year’s Brazilian presidential election was rigged and referring to the Brazilian rioters as “freedom fighters”.

“For months before the attack on Three Powers Plaza, Bolsonaro was working with Steve Bannon and other former Trump advisers to spread lies about Brazil’s election and undermine faith in Brazilian democracy,” Castro said. “The nations of the world look to the United States to model democracy, and when Trump was not held accountable for inciting the insurrection at the US Capitol, rightwing extremists in Brazil took notice.”

“There’s a kind of hotbed of far-right communities there, that are clearly building on each other,” said a US congressional aide familiar with discussions on the unfolding situation in Brazil. “Governor DeSantis and former president Trump’s presence at Mar-a-Lago have both made Florida a place where these things seem to happen, so I wouldn’t be surprised if any of the planning for this had happened in Florida.”

Republicans, including Trumpists, have largely stayed silent on the Brasília riot, with the exception of a Pennsylvania congressman, Brian Fitzpatrick, a member of the House foreign affairs committee, who condemned the violent attempt to stop the peaceful transfer of power. Fitzpatrick said on Twitter he looked forward to working with Lula.

Bolsonaro is reported to be staying in Kissimmee, near Orlando’s Disney World, in the vacation home of a retired Brazilian martial arts star, José Aldo, part of a resort condominium near a busy highway. On Monday he was reported to have been admitted to hospital, complaining of “severe abdominal pains” before later being released.

The Brazilian government inquiry into the Brasília insurrection is also likely to focus on the role of Anderson Torres, Bolsonaro’s justice minister who was in charge of security in Brasília, who was also in Orlando over the weekend. Torres, who was fired on Sunday, claimed to be there on a family holiday and to have had no contact with Bolsonaro.

So is there any evidence, any at all that this was planned from Florida, and not a evolution in the protest similar to January 6th where the people got too excited and the end result was an attack on the building.

Any proof? Anything whatsoever?

Edit: To expand on last night, Biden's papers now have an international flavor now, as the Top Secret documents found at his private office include 3 foreign countries.

Among the items from Joe Biden’s time as vice president discovered in a private office last fall are 10 classified documents including US intelligence memos and briefing materials that covered topics including Ukraine, Iran and the United Kingdom, according to a source familiar with the matter.

Attorney General Merrick Garland has received a preliminary report on the documents inquiry, a law enforcement source said, and now faces the critical decision on how to proceed, including whether to open a full-blown criminal investigation.

Last edited:
A special council has been named to probe the mishandling of classified documents now that they have been found in two places. A Biden think tank with Chinese funding, those documents have links to Iran, Ukraine, and the UK, and another set found in his garage, those documents have not been expanded upon, so we do not know if they cover international secrets or are US classified secrets.

Attorney General Merrick Garland on Thursday appointed former federal prosecutor Robert Hur as special counsel to investigate the discovery of classified government records at the private home and office of President Joe Biden.

Garland’s announcement came hours after Biden and his lawyer said that a second batch of classified documents recently had been found in a garage in the president’s private home in Wilmington, Delaware.

A first batch of classified documents had been found on Nov. 2 by lawyers for the president in an office in a Washington think tank that Biden had used while a private citizen

Garland previously had assigned John Lausch, the U.S. Attorney for Chicago, to handle the inquiry after the first batch of records was discovered.

“This is not a decision [Garland] made lightly,” a senior Department of Justice official told NBC News, referring to Hur’s appointment.

This comes after Biden seemed to make light of the classified documents, suggesting that he cared more about his car than the documents.

Edit: Hunter Biden's address has also been listed in several sources now as having the same address as where the classified documents were found. A worrying development that Hunter Biden could have given them to any number of international sources that were employing him.

Last edited:
A female Afghanistani former lawmaker and one of the top members of the previous government was killed in her home last night by the Taliban.

Well, this is terrifying, and probably not the last time it'll happen.
To absolutely no one's surprise, guy's a big MAGA chud, Jan 6th "tourist", and apparently enough of a true believer to actually go on a shooting spree instead of just riling up followers to commit crimes with wink-nudge rhetoric (like the good folks over at Fox News do).

So of course, the GOP is now going to double down by coddling all the wingnut Big Lie believers:

Meanwhile, the first batch of Brazilian chuds/insurrectionists is getting charged:

One of the worst-kept secrets in North Carolina politics is finally out.

One of the worst-kept secrets in North Carolina politics is finally out.

What's the secret? I'mma guess how conservative the state is. But yeah I won't vote for neither him nor the other person he was talking about (not just because I can't vote yet but because Stein's a Democrat. Also before that comment comes I don't like Republicans either.)

What's the secret? I'mma guess how conservative the state is. But yeah I won't vote for neither him nor the other person he was talking about (not just because I can't vote yet but because Stein's a Democrat. Also before that comment comes I don't like Republicans either.)
No. It was that AG Josh Stein is running for Governor. A lot of people expected him to run.

Out of curiosity, is there anything specific you don’t like about Stein, or is it just his party?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom