• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is anyone disappointed that Journeys will come to an end soon?

Anyone happy about Journeys ending soon?

• Yes

Votes: 30 81.1%
  • No

Votes: 7 18.9%

• Total voters
He'll lose spectacularly. By the way, he doesn't deserve to become the world's strongest trainer just yet, nor should he revert to badge quests.
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on that one. All signs are pointing to him winning this.

Oh sweet loss. It might happen with Leon instead, but I doubt that OLM are keen on two consecutive three-parter battles. And why is there more focus on Cynthia recently if she's merely another stepping stone?
? I don't know what you're referring to here? They're hyping up Cynthia how because she's the current fight. They will do the same when we get to Ash/Leon.

Also I gather Go's Project Mew finale might happen before the Leon fight so the battles may not be back to back.

Honestly, I think Ash losing to Cynthia would be kind of believable/realistic. Given how much Cynthia has been put on a pedestal by fans for years and the issues with Ash's team, it would make sense that he'd lose. It wouldn't be a stretch at least. That being said, it would also be weird to hype up Leon this much during the tournament and effectively make him Ash's goal for the series if they weren't going to battle each other. I'm still leading towards Ash losing to Leon or maybe a tie, but it would be an odd choice for them to not face each other during the tournament, especially when I still do not see them doing the PWC all over again for Ash to get another chance to battle Leon.

Honestly, I think Ash losing to Cynthia would be kind of believable/realistic. Given how much Cynthia has been put on a pedestal by fans for years and the issues with Ash's team, it would make sense that he'd lose. It wouldn't be a stretch at least. That being said, it would also be weird to hype up Leon this much during the tournament and effectively make him Ash's goal for the series if they weren't going to battle each other. I'm still leading towards Ash losing to Leon or maybe a tie, but it would be an odd choice for them to not face each other during the tournament, especially when I still do not see them doing the PWC all over again for Ash to get another chance to battle Leon.
I can't see Ash losing to Leon unless they do the PWC all over again next time, with the Journeys format returning and Ash continuing to travel around with Gou and Chloe.

I can't see Ash losing to Leon unless they do the PWC all over again next time, with the Journeys format returning and Ash continuing to travel around with Gou and Chloe.
I could see Ash losing to Leon without starting the PWC all over again pretty easily. Ash's goal is to battle Leon, at least that is how it is phrased in the dub opening segment explaining his and Goh's goals, which means he could still fulfill his goal with or without defeating him. I do not see them keeping the world tour format going or doing the PWC again. The world tour format was most likely due to the anniversary of the anime, or at least that was a factor. After how much they rushed through the PWC, particularly the first half, I don't see them doing it all over again, especially when Leon wouldn't be the most recent/marketing relevant Champion anymore.

Goh most likely is going to leave to work with Project Mew and considering that they didn't even bother making Chloe a proper main character after she became a trainer, she wouldn't be traveling with Ash. Even if Ash loses to Leon, they aren't just going to effectively make Journeys 2.0. The Master Class has been hyped up as the climax of the series. Besides that, the anime likes to shake up the status quo every few years with a new group of characters surrounding Ash and a new location. It remains to be seen what will happen after they wrap up Journeys, but I don't think that they'll just keep Ash and Goh traveling around the world together while Chloe stays home with Eevee for another few years.

Keep in mind Gen 9 games have their own champion. They'll likely have to come up a reason why they were not in the Masters 8 but they can have them replace Leon as the main opponent next time

Keep in mind Gen 9 games have their own champion. They'll likely have to come up a reason why they were not in the Masters 8 but they can have them replace Leon as the main opponent next time
That would invalidate the entirety of Journeys if Leon was defeated by some nobody when the anime was building Ash up as the one to finally defeat him.

I think having the new champion replace Leon as the main opponent would be kind of weak. I don't think that would make repeating the PWC any better. Not to mention it would feel a bit forced considering how much they've hype up Leon as the number one ranked trainer in the world.

What if SV anime had Ash go to different realities where other trainers ARE the strongest. We already know that reality shifting Pokémon will appear in SV, so who's to say the anime won't be based on it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just came here from watching today’s episode, and let me say this: if Ash loses to Cynthia, then I don’t think I’ll continue watching Journeys.
I had to quote my last post since it did age well. I’m happy to come on here and say that I will be continuing watching the series since Ash won against Cynthia. I’m so happy for my boy.

Disappointed? I'm relieved beyond words. This series has, at least for me, killed the anime stone cold thanks to its varying yet almost constantly abysmal writing decisions. I'd sooner rewatch all of BW and that XYZ boil fifty times over than ever see another Journeys episode.

Judging from the poll I might have the unpopular opinion here... but yes, I'm a little disappointed that Journeys will end soon, because I very much liked this series.

It hasn't been perfect — it had its low points, especially early on, let me tell you — but no series is perfect, and I personally feel like it's made up for those lows with all of its high points thus far. Journeys is also the first saga I've managed to keep up with from beginning to end; I've simply gotten attached to it in these past three years, and with the end in sight now, I'm willing to move on but I'll definitely be sad when it's over.

Honestly? No. For context, I'm fairly new to anipoke, XY was the first anipoke series I had ever watched, and at the time I loved it. After finishing it earlier this year, I immediately started watching Journeys so I can catch up with the current series. But...when I started watching Journeys something about it started to seem off. The more I watched it, the more flaws I began seeing in things like its pacing and the development of the pokemon, it wasn't up until I saw JPR's video about Journeys' problems when It started becoming a lot more apparent to me. So for a while Journeys was just stuck in 6/10 limbo to me, not bad but it could have been so much better.

Season 1 was mostly fairly lackluster, it was filled to the brim with filler and it was the beginning of many major problems with Journeys; skipping ranks, barely developing his team at all, next to no onscreen interactions between the pokemon, trying to focus more on Goh rather than THE VERY CHARACTER THAT HAS BEEN ON YOUR SHOW FOR TWO DECADES up until this point, and an overall lack of focus. it was a bit enjoyable with some highlights, but it was just a 6/10 to me.

Season 2 was actually when things started to improve, we were getting much more development for Ash's goal, and they even gave him a mega stone, something we never really got in XY. Goh was also starting to get much more interesting too, he signed up for project mew and took courses there to become a chaser, and the Mew-related episodes serve as some great development for him. There were also many great moments and amazing episodes that made it the best season of Journeys IMO. However, while Season 2 did improve my problems with Season 1, it still didn't really fix them. While we did get more development for Lucario, Ash's other Journeys pokemon were still fairly underdevelopment with none of them having much of an arc. The pacing was still pretty bad, the series still had a lack of focus present in it, and the amount of filler didn't really go away. Plus, although we were getting more focus on Ash's goal, Goh was still getting much more attention than Ash, hell there are still moments where Ash rises up the ranks off-screen. The best way I can sum up Season 2 is that it improves my problems with Season 1, but doesen't fix them, most of my issues still remained such as the lack of focus and not developing Ash's team very much. It is still a good season, though so it's probably a good 7/10, not bad.

Season 3 was when it looked like it all started to come full circle. Ash's team was getting more focus than ever, and the development given to them was great too, his team was finally getting fleshed out. There were next to no bad episodes in the first half, in fact, many of them were great, such as JN108, JN109, JN100, and JN111, and many more. The character returns in Season 3 were also incredibly well done, and the build-up to the masters eight was incredible, hyping it up to be the biggest tournament Ash has ever had. Ash also no longer felt like a side character to Goh anymore, he was starting to get much more attention here to develop his goal, and Goh even got some great development to his goal for project Mew and becoming a chaser. During the first half, it felt like all my problems with Journeys have been wiped away in Season 3...until the second half. Dear god, what happened here?! Once we got to the masters 8, suddenly this final season turns into a complete and utter trainwreck. Let's ignore all the breaks for a second and look at the episodes themselves, ya they're not very good. First let's start with the masters 8 and wow, what a disappointment.

The battles are terrible, they are littered with one-shots and overly slow and boring fighting choreography that bores me to sleep. Leon vs Alain was atrocious because they literally used Alain as nothing more than Leon fodder and wasted a possible reunion for him and Ash. Like, six years of waiting for Alain to come back to the anime and yet the only on-screen interaction we get between them in SIX WHOLE YEARS is three seconds of eye contact??? Lance vs Diantha felt far too overly gamified with most of the pokemon just standing there taking hits as if they forgot that they could FUCKING DODGE AN ATTACK. Iris vs Cynthia was fine but it had the same issues as the other battles. Ash vs Steven was underwhelming as fuck, not only were most of my issues with the M8 still present in this battle but it also had some really questionable moments, such as Aggron getting taken down because of a burn. Though admittedly it did have some creative strats being used here, and dodging was finally here again, but still. And then there's Leon vs Diantha...good lord this battle. For starters, the first half of the episode this battle was in was literally filler, so we barely even get to see most of the battle?! As they for some reason decide to focus on some pointless kid subplot. What we did get to see of the battle was...fine ig? However, it still has many issues, such as a lack of dodging and Leon being way too overpowered and taking down 4 out of 6 of Diantha's pokemon. I usually don't pay attention to power scaling that much in this show but that just makes Leon WAY too overpowered for his own good. Leon is way too overpowered in the M8 and it obliterates any of all consistent power scaling in the show. The ONLY truly great battle so far in the M8 is Ash vs Cynthia and even then that had a finale that while not bad and still fairly good, left a lot to be desired as a final to Ash vs Cynthia and pretty much ended up being the weakest out of the three-parter. Maybe when Ash vs Leon comes out I'll change my mind but still.

Then there are the clip shows, umm, why do they exist? They are completely and utterly pointless and serve as nothing more than filler. I understand that these were made because of production issues, but you can't use that as an excuse for them existing in the first place. Production issues are simply an explanation for something being bad, not an excuse.

And lastly, there are the two episodes focusing on Ash's companions of Journeys Goh and Chloe, with those two episodes being JN120 and JN127, these two episodes are meant to serve as conclusions to these characters and their arcs, and the episodes end up failing to serve that purpose at all. JN120 barely does much of anything to resolve Chloe's arc at all and pretty much just focuses on Ceries's whole "backstory" of meeting a Clefa and watching some Clefairy evolve for the whole episode. All this episode does is just show how much of an afterthought Chloe's entire character is, the episode did nothing to give her a sendoff and her arc remains with...no real closure. And then there's JN127, and while the episode isn't nearly as bad as JN120 it's still an underwhelming goodbye to Goh. I already said why this episode fails as a sendoff to Goh in the thread reviewing the episode but it really doesen't feel like a finale to Goh's arc at all, the goodbye carries little to no emotional weight at all, it happens way too suddenly and the episode doesen't build up to it, it just sorta...happens without much build-up. The episode should have been about Goh reflecting on all his progress to becoming a project mew chaser, but the episode barely ever does much of any of that, so because of that, it fails as a sendoff to Goh's character, the goodbye carries no weight by how rushed and sudden it is. Neither of these episodes do a good job of concluding the arcs of the companions, instead, it feels like Journeys is rushing to resolve everyone's arcs all at once, and as a result, both of them feel incredibly rushed.

All of these issues made Season 3 go from an 8/10 to a 5/10, possibly even a 4/10. The first half was at least good, but the second half so far has been a complete and utter disaster. Plus, there were still a good amount of filler in Season 3 so not all of my problems were fixed here.

So, in a series with all of these issues, I just mentioned, no. I am not disappointed that Journeys will be ending. The series is nothing but pure mediocrity of wasted potential, bad pacing, underdeveloped pokemon, and more. I could get into so many more issues with Journeys but we would be here all day now would we? At this point, I just want Journeys to finally end. The series has now gone from a 6/10 to a 5/10, whether or not that score will change depends on the quality of Ash vs Leon. But right now, Journeys is nothing but pure mediocrity and I just want to get to Ash vs Leon so the series can finally end. Let's hope the scarlet and violet anime will be better.

Last edited:
I am beginning to doubt this "soon".
It's already mid-October, and there are still no announcements of the new series.
With each passing day there is an increasing risk that the SV anime will not catch up with games and will come out at a later date (maybe not until the next year?)

I am beginning to doubt this "soon".
It's already mid-October, and there are still no announcements of the new series.
With each passing day there is an increasing risk that the SV anime will not catch up with games and will come out at a later date (maybe not until the next year?)
Well given that we’ve finally gotten to Ash vs Leon thanks to all the production issues, I don’t think we’ll see an announcement until some time during the month long battle. Even if an announcement is ready, I don’t think they want to spoil the outcome in any way. Don’t even think we got the Journeys announcement until after Ash vs Kukui was over.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom