• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is XY worth watching?

Running gags are nice, but as long as they are at least 10 episodes apart, they won't fall completely boring.

Yeah, the anime's a lot better now, but for how long? Will Generation VII be better? Or will it fall back to the disaster that we call Best Wishes? And first of all, how is X & Y going to end? We all know that Ash will lose the upcoming League (most likely to a Tobias-expy) and will say goodbye to Serena, Clemont and Bonnie. We all know that Serena will not succeed in the Showcases after gaining three Keys (to justify her leaving Ash forever). We know that Ash will leave all his Pokémon with Professor Oak (except Pikachu). And this very fate will befall all future companions and Pokémon. The only thing missing this time is a cameo from Iris, though she's due now, since Dawn didn't show up for nearly two years into BW.

So, enjoy the moment while it lasts, before the anime is destined to repeat it's plot, or worse, go lighter and softer, all over again.

I haven't seen a lot of XY yet so I was wondering, does Serena actually ever do anything worthwhile? I preferred AG and DP series because May and Dawn actually had their own goals too instead of just following Ash. I miss when Ash's friends actually had full teams and battled sometimes

On an episodic level:Yes. The episodes are pretty enjoyable and the plot most of the time is well developed, you will be looking foward to how the characters react to certain situations.
But on a global level it's a mixed bag. There are as many slowed-paced arcs as fast-paced arcs, and many of them only have ambiguous conclusions, that leave a "Will this be important? Find out in 20, 30 or 40 episodes!" impression. Some of them are solved eventualy but others don't. Examples include:

Blaziken Man, Sycamore's investigation, Sanpei, Malamar, Battle Chateau, Pokevision, Miette, Diantha, Tierno, Trevor, Goodra.

I'm not asking that those things show up every 5 episodes, but some foreshadowing or non-ambiguety would be nice.

I haven't seen a lot of XY yet so I was wondering, does Serena actually ever do anything worthwhile? I preferred AG and DP series because May and Dawn actually had their own goals too instead of just following Ash. I miss when Ash's friends actually had full teams and battled sometimes

She does get a good chunk of focus episodes, and most of them are of good quality, but she's definitely nowhere near Dawn.

I haven't seen a lot of XY yet so I was wondering, does Serena actually ever do anything worthwhile?

About XY40, with a few (few being the keyword) episodes in the spotlight before that. After that she becomes more proactive and interesting, especially after she changed her look.

Yes.

Had a really slow start, but I think they just didn't want to rush things like they did with BW and wanted to take their time before committing to anything.

It has a lot going for it, but it's not perfect. Though really, what Saga is :confused:

Let's see...

THE GOOD (so far):

- Beautiful animation
- Cool battles
- Ash back to his old self
- The TRio FINALLY getting their OS groove back (thank Arceus in his dimension!)
- Bonnie
- Pokémon with a good bit of depth and personality
- Well used Gym Leaders
- Serena's crush on Ash (poor fool, she makes me laugh)
- The Strongest Mega-Evolution mini-series
- Some dramatic and dire moments (they've even referenced death a few times)

THE BAD (so far):

- Clement and Bonnie's running gags
- Serena doing next to nothing for 40 episodes
- The COTD population the highest it's been since the OS (thankfully the cast has grown now)
- Team Flare being shafted like Plasma was, at least thus far (Lysandre is clearly up to something , but it's not enough)
- A little too much Pikachu love

Hope that helps some :)

When you said Ash is back to his old self, did you mean by clothing colors or something else?

When you said Ash is back to his old self, did you mean by clothing colors or something else?

I mean how he's back to being a decent trainer again after being a complete and total idiot in BW. I wouldn't say he's as good he was in DP (in fact, there are times he's over glorified), but still a lot more satisfying than the previous saga (even if that didn't take much)

I'm guessing Ash's stupidity in BW might have contributed to the fact that he went to Unova right away without resting up from the overwhelming challenges in Sinnoh, plus he was immediately given another main series rival after dealing with a previous one. Since the XY series didn't start weeks later after BW, he might have had the chance to rest up on the plane taking him and Alexa to Kalos, hence him doing better.

I'm guessing Ash's stupidity in BW might have contributed to the fact that he went to Unova right away without resting up from the overwhelming challenges in Sinnoh, plus he was immediately given another main series rival after dealing with a previous one. Since the XY series didn't start weeks later after BW, he might have had the chance to rest up on the plane taking him and Alexa to Kalos, hence him doing better.
Actually, Ash's primary intention when going to Unova with his mom was to go on a vacation. Only when he arrived did he decide to start a journey there. As far as Ash's competence is concerned, some people theorize that Ash didn't take Unova as seriously as Sinnoh hence his relaxed and less serious personality, he was probably simply enjoying himself and taking a break from all the drama that was DP.

I guess what I'm saying is that for Ash Unova was some sort of "vacation" and this was reflected in Ash's progress and achievements. In the final episode of Best Wishes, Ash vows to become a lot stronger in Kalos (a promise which he upholds because his team is definitely turning out to be one of his strongest, plus he's way more competent here).

Of course, all this is my way of trying to explain just why Ash ''regressed" so much from DP.

tl;dr

DP - Ash goes all out, trains as hard as possible, showcases most progress
BW - Ash takes a short break, relaxes, doesn't do as well as usual, hence the regression
XY - Ash steps it up again and begins training and showcasing his DP-level skills

XY is a lot of fun, but I can see why some people don't like it. I hope that XY will improve the series overall though. The series has struggled with fillers for a long time and this is the first time in ages, that pokeani has taken a step that I actually enjoy in terms of enjoying it. A lot of that step comes down to me liking the slice of life feel that some of the episodes have, as well as this being the first group where I actually care about the group dynamic. I know that XY lacks conflict but to be honest, there are times when XY attempts conflict and it feels by the numbers (Corni arc, cough). In terms of when it gets conflict right though, it's really nicely balanced and interesting. In fact, the best XY conflicts tend to come when XY tries to be creepy (Calamanero, Nyasper/Eureka episode, ect) or with cool character focus (any Eureka episode). The meeting of the mega evolution plot with the main series looking like it's going to build to a really cool conflict with Limone being a really cool anime only addition which makes me excited anyway. The biggest thing about XY and conflict I tend to notice as a problem is that they still treat TR as easy conflict givers and this is particually annoying since XY is pretty good at coming up with episodes that don't need conflict.

Satoshi is pretty good in XY. For a while, I was worrying that they were going too far with the 'make him a hero' thing but that's calmed down a little of late. (It's definitely a nicer thing to worry about than BW's 'what was wrong with him' though.) Actually the latest episode looked like it shows how great XY can be when it gives everyone a chance to shine and with more episodes like that, that issue would disappear.

I'm about 7 episodes in now and this is the most I've enjoyed watching the series since sinnoh. From what I hear the story falls off a bit later on but I'm really liking whats happening. Ash being competent again legit surprised me lol.

In my opinion XY's quality is somewhere in between BW and AG/DP. XY certainly has better battles, more developed characters, and a better plot than BW did, but it is nowhere near AG or DP's respective levels. The series started out excellently, but it slowed down after Ash won the first badge and aired plenty of non-plot, non-development episodes.

In addition, the female protagonist (Serena) really doesn't do much in the first 40 or so episodes, and although she does get some development starting around Episode 40 she gets very few focus episodes (about 1-2 every 15 episodes or so following Episode 40). In addition, the main protagonists take the sidelines around Episode 30 for five episodes as a side character gets focused on instead.

I would recommend watching this series, but I would skip some episodes as they are largely unimportant and you won't miss out on much.

Late answer so I don't know how useful this is as advice, but eh.

Upsides: great main cast, great battles, mega evo/Flare subplot is promising.

Downsides: needs more villains (should be getting better on that count soon), recurring characters haven't been appearing as much as I'd like, Team Rocket is lackluster much of the time.

On the whole I recommend it, so far its pacing isn't as good as DP's but the best XY episodes are among the best of the whole series.

The XY series had a slow start but ever since Serena found her goal and caught Pancham everything is getting better and better. It's like all the stuff happening since then is based on the set up they slowly built up in the first 50 episodes. I'd say "suffering" the slow start is definitely paying off right now, and things will keep getting even better in XY&Z with Alain and Team Flare thrown in.
I'd rank it as one of the top three series along with DP and AG.

The XY series had a slow start but ever since Serena found her goal and caught Pancham everything is getting better and better. It's like all the stuff happening since then is based on the set up they slowly built up in the first 50 episodes. I'd say "suffering" the slow start is definitely paying off right now, and things will keep getting even better in XY&Z with Alain and Team Flare thrown in.
I'd rank it as one of the top three series along with DP and AG.

I love xy, Dp and AG too, and I am agree with you in everything
I love the characters in this anime too like the gyms leaders, the rivals and every charchers
however I don't see Xy just the new episodes and download but i still love it
I love BW because I love the chacters in it like bianca, gym leaders, and i love 97% of the characters and the story is more different than the games and the general tradition of the anime - I loved the movies too because it is first time that they put two movies in one time (victini and his 2 movies) and first time to see a movie for challenge not for saving the world (kyurem movie) and I love genest movie too however iris trip and cameron make me don't want to see it to much

Anyway XY is good and I like it - as I say i love the character, ash serena clemont rivals and I love the girl in mega evolution episodes however I hate the boy player in the gym

It is a time for ash to win a leauge or making a girl win it and next season ash will win

In my opinion XY's quality is somewhere in between BW and AG/DP. XY certainly has better battles, more developed characters, and a better plot than BW did, but it is nowhere near AG or DP's respective levels.

You are right in some point here

--------------------------------------------------------

About getting Mega evolution and fairy type, I don't think that they will give ash a mega evolution and fairy in the first region of mega evolution and fairy type

if he didn't got a dragon pokemon until season 4 and his pokemon still not evolved and when he finally got a pusedo pokemon he left it after fews episodes, and if he still didn't got any ghost psychic, and his still have 1 ice type, how can he got a mega evolution in his first season or got fairy type?

However I think they will do a mega evolution for krokodile and his mega evolution after some region will garchamp, glaile his ice type pokemon, charizard and mega evolution for krokodile

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom