• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Least Favorite of Ash's Traveling Companions

Which of Ash's traveling companions is your least favorite?

• Misty

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Brock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • May

• Max

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Dawn

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Iris

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Cilan

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Serena

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Clemont

• Bonnie

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Lana

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Mallow

• Lillie

• Kiawe

• Sophocles

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Goh

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Chloe

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Tracey

• Total voters
Not that i would choose it, but why isn't Pikachu not an option? Its a travel companion too, because its not in his Pokeball.

My top 3 is Goh, Iris and Max

Goh was an issue for me, especially early on, when he got the better treatment over Ash.
I actually didn't mind Iris that much, but the You are such a little kid came boring after the fifth time.
Max literally did nothing, but i am not going to harsh on him, since he was too young to be a trainer (At least, as far as the anime was concerned, since he would qualify for the games).

My problem with all these characters is that they all have interesting personalities and have the potential for great character arcs, but the writers refuse to use it.

Goh is a poor repression of Pokémon GO, as some of his captures and actions not only go against the anime's lore, but also disregard a lot of rules in GO itself. For example, encountering a Nincada (whether or not you capture it) doesn't mean a free Shedinja, and you don't get a second chance if a Pokémon breaks out and runs away. Also, he caught too many Pokémon, and some never appeared again (such as Altaria) and were basically CotDs.

Chloe was just wasted potential with a pointless arc, and the reason why her Eevee cannot evolve is never revealed. I was expecting Gigantamax Eevee (or a new Eeveelution), which would've made a lot of sense... but alas, the whole thing went nowhere. Also, any potential with Chloe and Yamper was squandered when she became yet another "Eevee Lapgirl", and I hope this will not repeat in Horizons.

And obviously Max was never useful during AG, just being the smarta** kid who bickers with May and rarely does anything worthwhile. He could've been given some character development if May caught that Ralts for Max to take care of (like Bonnie and Dedenne later on).

Not that i would choose it, but why isn't Pikachu not an option? Its a travel companion too, because its not in his Pokeball.
Likely because Pikachu is a permanent main character. But that's me; I intercept "traveling companions" as "temporary main character", or "guest", a term Balthier would explain in Final Fantasy XII when it comes to companions joining and leaving the main party as they please.

I would assume Piplup and Grookey would get just as much votes as Max and Goh if traveling Pokémon were included on this list.

I would assume Piplup and Grookey would get just as much votes as Max and Goh if traveling Pokémon were included on this list.
Oh you better believe I would vote for those two if traveling Pokemon were included. I couldn't stand either one of them, two of the most annoying Pokemon in the anime for sure.

Grookey I could see getting votes for since it did virtually nothing, but I'm not sure about Piplup. People definitely didn't like it during DP's initial run, but I think it got more love over time. Piplup may be annoying at times, but it was a good secondary mascot, had a good bond with Dawn and had some good battles over the series.

I'm a bit surprised with Lana's votes, if only because she seemed to be the most popular of the SM girls during the series' run. I don't necessarily disagree with the complaints on her character. I always thought that Lana was overrated myself, but that always felt like an unpopular opinion at the time. While I don't really dislike Mallow all that much, if she didn't have such an emotional hard hitting episode where she reunites with the spirit of her mother, I'm positive that she would be the most forgettable traveling companion.

I think part of people's frustration with Piplup is that he tends to get preferential treament over his teammates pretty hard, something that if anything has actually gotten worse over time, since when Dawn returned for Journeys only Piplup did anything relevant while the rest of Dawn's Pokemon only got cameos. And when a certain Pokemon gets overwhelmingly favored over others it's always going to rub some people the wrong way: Pikachu and Charizard as species are both contentious for this exact reason, after all.

As for Lana, I'm gonna say it: I think it was her getting Sandy the Eevee that made people grow sour on her. Already she was getting accusations of being a writer's pet (most likely due to the ridiculous way that she earned her Z-Crystal), but her getting the secondary mascot when many were hoping for Ash to get it instead is probably what cemented those feelings for many people. And it certainly doesn't help that Eevee getting caught by Lana ended up with the former being completely wasted as a character. Hatred for Lana actually got so bad that I actually saw quite a few people cheering on Guzma's Golisopod for brutally torturing her Primarina at the Alola League, which ngl feels kinda cruel: it's not Primarina's fault that there were issues with how her trainer was handled, guys...

Anyway, what can I say that pther people can't say already? Max, Iris, and Chloe all make the cut for me for worst companions for pretty much all the reasons everyone has said. Heck, I'm actually kinda hesitant to even include Chloe in these rankings at all, since she oftentimes feels less like a companion and more like a glorified character of the day...

I recall the Piplup backlash was pretty intense during DP (I recall a few jokes that he was even more of an attention stealer than even Pikachu) but it seemed to have almost wholly vanished for a while at some point during the BW to mid XY phase where I wasn't aware of what was going on in the fandom.

And when a certain Pokemon gets overwhelmingly favored over others it's always going to rub some people the wrong way: Pikachu and Charizard as species are both contentious for this exact reason, after all.
Greninja got backlash over it, too, a certain issue not withstanding. Infernape seems to mostly escape it, however.

The flip side is a character that just can't catch a break can become beloved, though that's a bit less prominent in this fandom than some others.

Hatred for Lana actually got so bad that I actually saw quite a few people cheering on Guzma's Golisopod for brutally torturing her Primarina at the Alola League, which ngl feels kinda cruel: it's not Primarina's fault that there were issues with how her trainer was handled, guys...
zGolispod.png

I think part of people's frustration with Piplup is that he tends to get preferential treament over his teammates pretty hard, something that if anything has actually gotten worse over time, since when Dawn returned for Journeys only Piplup did anything relevant while the rest of Dawn's Pokemon only got cameos. And when a certain Pokemon gets overwhelmingly favored over others it's always going to rub some people the wrong way: Pikachu and Charizard as species are both contentious for this exact reason, after all.
I can understand that. Even during DP, it was getting harder for most of Dawn's other Pokemon to really get much attention and it still baffles me that they never gave Buneary a fourth move. Even if they didn't want to evolve it for some reason, giving it a new move would have been relatively easy to do and potentially lead into some new combinations.

To be fair though, I can't really blame them for not using them during Journeys though. Despite Dawn's many appearances in the series, she didn't really have focus on herself, so it would have been harder to showcase her whole team. This could have been easily resolved if they made a Contest episode for Dawn and the setup was right there with her friendship with Chloe, so that was a shame. Plus, Piplup is easily her most popular Pokemon and is associated with her the most, so I can understand why they'd just use it in her appearances.

As for Lana, I'm gonna say it: I think it was her getting Sandy the Eevee that made people grow sour on her. Already she was getting accusations of being a writer's pet (most likely due to the ridiculous way that she earned her Z-Crystal), but her getting the secondary mascot when many were hoping for Ash to get it instead is probably what cemented those feelings for many people. And it certainly doesn't help that Eevee getting caught by Lana ended up with the former being completely wasted as a character. Hatred for Lana actually got so bad that I actually saw quite a few people cheering on Guzma's Golisopod for brutally torturing her Primarina at the Alola League, which ngl feels kinda cruel: it's not Primarina's fault that there were issues with how her trainer was handled, guys...
Getting Sandy was definitely the turning point among the fanbase in regards to Lana. I still remember how much backlash there was for that episode. People really wanted Ash to get an Eevee too. Honestly, given how the capture episode went, I still think it made sense for Lana to capture it instead of Ash. Aside from Lycanroc and arguably Torracat, I don't think Ash's SM team was handled well, so I don't think it would have fared much better under Ash. It would have gotten to at least do some battling, but it almost certainly wouldn't have evolved since it was included for Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee promotion. That being said, I think that people would have been more okay with Lana getting Sandy if it had done something more than be carried around all the time. They had so much buildup to Eevee joining the cast that having it do virtually nothing for the rest of the series was such an odd and disappointing choice. If Sandy got to showcase some Partner moves or did something memorable after being captured, that might have made people more okay with Lana.

I also remember people being excited for Primarina being hit hard during that battle and that kind of behavior unfortunately isn't uncommon whenever characters have some backlash among the fans.

Anyway, what can I say that pther people can't say already? Max, Iris, and Chloe all make the cut for me for worst companions for pretty much all the reasons everyone has said. Heck, I'm actually kinda hesitant to even include Chloe in these rankings at all, since she oftentimes feels less like a companion and more like a glorified character of the day...
Despite my own issues with how she was handled, I still really like Chloe. I really wish that she was made into a proper traveling companion. Thinking of that version of the opening where Ash and Goh head off on adventures while Chloe is staying behind with Eevee in her arms still makes my blood boil. Much like Goh, I thought that Chloe was a highlight of Journeys. Most of her focused episodes were pretty good, even most of the ones where she just met the new Eeveelution of the week. I loved the buildup to her becoming a trainer since that was pretty gradual and made her connection with Eevee all the more believable. Her arc didn't feel pointless or a waste of time just because she still didn't have a proper goal or had Eevee evolve by the end. I can understand how it might felt too anticlimactic since after all of the buildup, she came to the same conclusion that her mother did in that she didn't have to decide on a path right then and there. It's arguably pretty relatable and fitting for a ten year old girl, especially when Chloe didn't want to become a Pokemon Professor like her father, but it isn't the most satisfying resolution, especially when a lot of people understandably thought that her Eevee not able to evolve was going to lead into a new Eeveelution instead. Chloe from the start of Journeys is not the same person she becomes at the end, so the notion that her storyline was pointless never quite made sense to me.

Greninja got backlash over it, too, a certain issue not withstanding. Infernape seems to mostly escape it, however.
I think the reason Infernape avoided getting much backlash was because...
  1. His species has never been particularly overmarketed to the same levels that Greninja (or Charizard and Pikachu for that matter) was, to the point that they have never given Infernape a special form while simultaneously neglecting the other Sinnoh starters. Greninja on the other hand got a super special awesome super mode despite already being more powerful than Chesnaught and Delphox without it.
  2. Infernape's spotlight seemed to be mostly a result of DPP's storyline with Ash's and Paul's rivalry rather than because the executives decided to push Infernape as the designated moneymaker of Sinnoh, so it feels way more earned and organic. Greninja on the other hand feels like he got a story built around him because TPCi realized how much of a moneymaker the frog could be, hence why everything about the Ash-Greninja form feels comparatively tacked on and generic when compared to Infernape's own arc about overcoming trauma and proving to his former abuser how wrong the latter was about him.
  3. With the sole exception of Torterra, Ash's Sinnoh team all got their own finalized mini arcs and development: Staraptor mastering Brave Bird, Buizel learning humility and combining Contest battling with regular battling, Gible mastering Draco Meteor, and Gliscor overcoming its timidity and becoming a reliable battler in general. Heck, even Torterra, despite never getting a good conclusion to any of his story arcs, was practically carrying the whole Sinnoh team on his back in the early parts of the saga. By contrast, none of the Kalos mons got anything of the sort besides maybe Goodra... who was also turned into a jobber when she made a brief return to Ash's roster.
Getting Sandy was definitely the turning point among the fanbase in regards to Lana. I still remember how much backlash there was for that episode. People really wanted Ash to get an Eevee too. Honestly, given how the capture episode went, I still think it made sense for Lana to capture it instead of Ash. Aside from Lycanroc and arguably Torracat, I don't think Ash's SM team was handled well, so I don't think it would have fared much better under Ash. It would have gotten to at least do some battling, but it almost certainly wouldn't have evolved since it was included for Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee promotion. That being said, I think that people would have been more okay with Lana getting Sandy if it had done something more than be carried around all the time. They had so much buildup to Eevee joining the cast that having it do virtually nothing for the rest of the series was such an odd and disappointing choice. If Sandy got to showcase some Partner moves or did something memorable after being captured, that might have made people more okay with Lana.
I'm not sure if Sandy performing the Partner moves would've actually remedied anything: the whole point of the Partner Pokemon is that they're Main Characters™, something that Lana is not in either the games or the anime, so her getting this super special awesome Eevee that is more powerful than average and has access to a bevvy of unique and powerful moves if anything would've run the risk of it feeling like even more of a waste and redoubled the overall feeling that Lana was getting preferential treatment over the other Alola companions. Especially since it's not like Ash's Pikachu could've gotten his Partner Moves to balance things out: the moveset he already has is far too iconic to alter beyond just updating the non-Thunderbolt Electric move, after all. And as for anything not related to Partner moves... I mean, the only thing that really comes to mind is making the second round of the Alola League a 2v2 so that Sandy could actually battle one of Guzma's Pokemon, but since it's very obvious that Lana was going to lose that round and Guzma's team consisted of a freaking Golisopod and Scizor I don't think Sandy would've been able to get a knockout there, so if anything I think that Sandy losing against Guzma would've just reinforced fans' idea that Ash should have caught him instead.

tbh, it's for all these reasons that I believe that maybe Sandy would've been better off never being introduced at all: we already had Gladion's Umbreon and Illima's Eevee doing promotion for the species anyway, so Sandy's addition to the cast if anything was kinda superflous and unnecessary. The only things he seemed to really do was give Popplio the opportunity to fully evolve without robbing Lana of a mandatory cute shouldermon (which could've been achieved by instead giving her literally any small and cute Water-type) and maybe showcasing Let's Go's haircuts, but, like... was this really such an astounding feature that a whole character had to be introduced just to show it off? We've had plenty of Pokemon get hairstyle changes before, so it's not like this feature couldn't have instead been showcased via, say, Illima making an early return and his Eevee and Ash's Pikachu having a filler episode where they get haircuts or something.

Sandy (right after being created): What is my purpose?

Pokeani staff: You're a useless lapdog and get an ugly haircut.

Sandy: looks at his paws in horrified resignation ...Oh. My. Arceus.
Despite my own issues with how she was handled, I still really like Chloe. I really wish that she was made into a proper traveling companion. Thinking of that version of the opening where Ash and Goh head off on adventures while Chloe is staying behind with Eevee in her arms still makes my blood boil. Much like Goh, I thought that Chloe was a highlight of Journeys. Most of her focused episodes were pretty good, even most of the ones where she just met the new Eeveelution of the week. I loved the buildup to her becoming a trainer since that was pretty gradual and made her connection with Eevee all the more believable. Her arc didn't feel pointless or a waste of time just because she still didn't have a proper goal or had Eevee evolve by the end. I can understand how it might felt too anticlimactic since after all of the buildup, she came to the same conclusion that her mother did in that she didn't have to decide on a path right then and there. It's arguably pretty relatable and fitting for a ten year old girl, especially when Chloe didn't want to become a Pokemon Professor like her father, but it isn't the most satisfying resolution, especially when a lot of people understandably thought that her Eevee not able to evolve was going to lead into a new Eeveelution instead. Chloe from the start of Journeys is not the same person she becomes at the end, so the notion that her storyline was pointless never quite made sense to me.
That's fair. I don't dislike Chloe because I think she "never developed" or that her storyline was pointless or anything, though. To me she just feels underwhelming because we'd already gotten two female companions getting a very similar arc to her in May and Serena: both were initially similarly uncertain about their goal in life, but unlike Chloe they actually decided on something and followed through during the course of their series. Compared to that, of course a character who finalizes her story by reaching the same conclusion she'd already come to but with a different perspective is going to come off as monumentally boring. As for Eevee not evolving, that could've been less of an issue if she had at least been used to showcase her species' Gigantamax form, but much like with Sandy, Chloe's Eevee was herself wasted in her potential.

It also doesn't help that Chloe's storyline also follows many similar beats to Lillie's, but with Lillie it felt more justified to go for a slow burn because she was an inexperienced and traumatized child whereas Chloe was decidedly not. Finally, another thing that I think is the real nail in the coffin for Chloe is just the fact that she's incredibly irrelevant and disconnected from Ash's and Goh's journeys to the point that she's not even part of the travelling troupe half the time, which also has the negative effect of making it feel like the anime just gives female characters the shaft... something that funnily enough didn't used to be the case.

So, yeah, it's just that Chloe feels both half-baked AND repetitive compared to girl companions that came before her.

I think the reason Infernape avoided getting much backlash was because...
All good points, though I do think that Infernape was also helped by getting to defeat Paul and then skip out of Tobias's gentle mercies so he got to retire with a major victory; Greninja got afflicted with a bit of a "we spent all that time for this?" effect after the much-hyped form tripped at the finish line as part of the XY games gen 1 shilling mandate.

and maybe showcasing Let's Go's haircuts, but, like... was this really such an astounding feature that a whole character had to be introduced just to show it off?
The writing choices that comes out of a toyetic series can be pretty interesting when you're old enough to look for it, though even by those standards "we gotta show off Eevee having a haircut" stands out.

I'm not sure if Sandy performing the Partner moves would've actually remedied anything: the whole point of the Partner Pokemon is that they're Main Characters™, something that Lana is not in either the games or the anime, so her getting this super special awesome Eevee that is more powerful than average and has access to a bevvy of unique and powerful moves if anything would've run the risk of it feeling like even more of a waste and redoubled the overall feeling that Lana was getting preferential treatment over the other Alola companions. Especially since it's not like Ash's Pikachu could've gotten his Partner Moves to balance things out: the moveset he already has is far too iconic to alter beyond just updating the non-Thunderbolt Electric move, after all. And as for anything not related to Partner moves... I mean, the only thing that really comes to mind is making the second round of the Alola League a 2v2 so that Sandy could actually battle one of Guzma's Pokemon, but since it's very obvious that Lana was going to lose that round and Guzma's team consisted of a freaking Golisopod and Scizor I don't think Sandy would've been able to get a knockout there, so if anything I think that Sandy losing against Guzma would've just reinforced fans' idea that Ash should have caught him instead.

tbh, it's for all these reasons that I believe that maybe Sandy would've been better off never being introduced at all: we already had Gladion's Umbreon and Illima's Eevee doing promotion for the species anyway, so Sandy's addition to the cast if anything was kinda superflous and unnecessary. The only things he seemed to really do was give Popplio the opportunity to fully evolve without robbing Lana of a mandatory cute shouldermon (which could've been achieved by instead giving her literally any small and cute Water-type) and maybe showcasing Let's Go's haircuts, but, like... was this really such an astounding feature that a whole character had to be introduced just to show it off? We've had plenty of Pokemon get hairstyle changes before, so it's not like this feature couldn't have instead been showcased via, say, Illima making an early return and his Eevee and Ash's Pikachu having a filler episode where they get haircuts or something.

Sandy (right after being created): What is my purpose?

Pokeani staff: You're a useless lapdog and get an ugly haircut.

Sandy: looks at his paws in horrified resignation ...Oh. My. Arceus.
I don't know if Lana getting a special Eevee would have made her feel like she got that much more special treatment compared to the rest of the SM cast, especially when it took so long for her to get a second Pokemon, but since people were already considering her the writers' pet, that probably wouldn't have helped with that notion.

I wouldn't be too shocked if an Eevee inclusion in the cast was a marketing requirement. This was when Eevee was first treated like a secondary mascot, so they probably wanted to have it feature more promiently in the anime. It's also possible that they saw Illima's Eevee as promotion for Eevee's Z-Move and wanted something more distinct for their Let's Go Eevee promotion, although I agree that just having Illima appear a bit more with his Eevee would have been the easiest solution. Sandy had such little presence that I don't know how effective it was as a marketing tool. Other than its weird haircut, you wouldn't really associate it with Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee.

That's fair. I don't dislike Chloe because I think she "never developed" or that her storyline was pointless or anything, though. To me she just feels underwhelming because we'd already gotten two female companions getting a very similar arc to her in May and Serena: both were initially similarly uncertain about their goal in life, but unlike Chloe they actually decided on something and followed through during the course of their series. Compared to that, of course a character who finalizes her story by reaching the same conclusion she'd already come to but with a different perspective is going to come off as monumentally boring. As for Eevee not evolving, that could've been less of an issue if she had at least been used to showcase her species' Gigantamax form, but much like with Sandy, Chloe's Eevee was herself wasted in her potential.
I was more referring to other people's comments about Chloe that I've seen throughout the years about how her storyline was pointless rather than going off by what you said. I agree that having another female leads going through similar arcs is an issue with Chloe's storyline. I still haven't watched Horizons yet, but since Liko also was initially unsure about what she'd do with her Pokemon, it really does feel like the writers are overusing this setup for its female leads. Maybe that isn't too bad when their personalities and storylines are still distinct enough and this probably wouldn't be an issue for the target audience, but it still feels like they've gone back to that well one too many times, especially when they don't really seem like they're willing to do something like that for any of the male characters.

I always thought that Chloe's Eevee at least had more personality than Sandy. Maybe it helps that it was Chloe's first Pokemon and thus still had more importance than Sandy by default, but I'd give it a bit of credit for that. Showcasing Eevee's Gigantamax form would have been cool, but since Chloe doesn't like to battle, I'm not sure how they could have pulled that off.

It also doesn't help that Chloe's storyline also follows many similar beats to Lillie's, but with Lillie it felt more justified to go for a slow burn because she was an inexperienced and traumatized child whereas Chloe was decidedly not. Finally, another thing that I think is the real nail in the coffin for Chloe is just the fact that she's incredibly irrelevant and disconnected from Ash's and Goh's journeys to the point that she's not even part of the travelling troupe half the time, which also has the negative effect of making it feel like the anime just gives female characters the shaft... something that funnily enough didn't used to be the case.

So, yeah, it's just that Chloe feels both half-baked AND repetitive compared to girl companions that came before her.
Lillie was also part of a larger cast, which also helped to justified the slow burn of her development. That's a big reason why many people, including myself, wish that Chloe had traveled around more. She could have easily become a proper main lead once she became a trainer, but they still wanted the boys to go off on cool adventures while the token girl stayed behind. As much as I love Ash, Goh and their dynamic, throwing Chloe into the mix certainly wouldn't have hurt. It would have helped with her seeing more of the world, figuring out what path she wanted to take with her Pokemon and giving her more of a connection with Ash and Goh. Thinking to how AG and DP treated May and Dawn respectively and then seeing how Chloe was treated was certainly disappointing.

It wasn't so bad at first and was in ways reasonable since it's Dawn's starter but the desperation the writers had to make Piplup the secondary mascot was as visible as Reshiram and Zekrom on their respective version box arts.

I do remember the episode that really soured my opinion on Dawn and her Piplup. It was an episode shortly after her Cyndaquil hatched from an egg. Cyndaquil may have rejected Piplup trying to approach it but Piplup went way to far in response to that one rejection. It doesn't take a genius to know that responding by attacking Cyndaquil and later stealing its food rewards for doing well in battle (for a newborn) is way out of line. Especially when you consider that the food stealing was a response to humans in the group flocking to Cyndaquil to congratulate it for the battle. Piplup didn't do anything, what was it expecting? And remember, Cyndaquil is a newly hatched Pokemon, pretty much a baby, babies need the attention. And in the end Dawn ends up taking Piplup's side, even though Piplup was the one who kept escalating the situation. I'd have thrown a vote in Piplup's direction if it had been on the vote.

It wasn't so bad at first and was in ways reasonable since it's Dawn's starter but the desperation the writers had to make Piplup the secondary mascot was as visible as Reshiram and Zekrom on their respective version box arts.

I do remember the episode that really soured my opinion on Dawn and her Piplup. It was an episode shortly after her Cyndaquil hatched from an egg. Cyndaquil may have rejected Piplup trying to approach it but Piplup went way to far in response to that one rejection. It doesn't take a genius to know that responding by attacking Cyndaquil and later stealing its food rewards for doing well in battle (for a newborn) is way out of line. Especially when you consider that the food stealing was a response to humans in the group flocking to Cyndaquil to congratulate it for the battle. Piplup didn't do anything, what was it expecting? And remember, Cyndaquil is a newly hatched Pokemon, pretty much a baby, babies need the attention. And in the end Dawn ends up taking Piplup's side, even though Piplup was the one who kept escalating the situation. I'd have thrown a vote in Piplup's direction if it had been on the vote.
Yeah. It's reasons like this that just rubbed Piplup the wrong way for me, and it's actually one of the major reasons I dislike Dawn too.

Last edited:
It doesn't take a genius to know that responding by attacking Cyndaquil and later stealing its food rewards for doing well in battle (for a newborn) is way out of line. Especially when you consider that the food stealing was a response to humans in the group flocking to Cyndaquil to congratulate it for the battle. Piplup didn't do anything, what was it expecting? And remember, Cyndaquil is a newly hatched Pokemon, pretty much a baby, babies need the attention. And in the end Dawn ends up taking Piplup's side, even though Piplup was the one who kept escalating the situation.
Yeah. It's reasons like this that just rubbed Piplup thr wrong way for me, and it's actually one of the major reasons I dislike Dawn too.
Piplup also comes across as a poor role model for any preschoolers who watch the anime on eloquence, by throwing tantrums when things don't go his way, stealing food from a newborn out of jealousy, disowning his trainer and running away after she praises a Gible, and basically rejecting something as invertible as a changing world. Not to mention vowing to remain a whiny toddler forever by never evolving.

And that's what makes him come across as unlikeable and a Pokémon version of Caillou.

I remember that all too well. While Piplup was already starting to become annoying by that point he ultimately crossed the line in that episode. He was getting jealous over a baby Cyndaquil who had just hatched recently. Considering, like you said, it was a baby, and babies need attention, it shows just how selfish and whiny he is whenever he's not the center of attention (or at least Dawn's attention). Like @UxieLover1994 said, he was basically Pokemon's version of Caillou by that point, getting worked up over not being the center of attention or when things don't go his way. And his forced mascot status reared its ugly mug when he refused to evolve and even took an Everstone to prevent him from evolving (and to this day I wonder where he keeps it???). It's why I loved the failed Draco Meteor gag since it was not only funny, but it was Piplup abuse, making me feel like it was karma for him whenever he'd cross the line or got too selfish/self-centered. And it's why I wish Dawn never got Togekiss, since she gagged the running gag. I know that Piplups are known for being prideful but he took it to new levels and became a loud drama queen. And that's not get into the BW anime where he and the already contentious Oshawott started clashing and Piplup would come out on top in most cases. He did have his good moments, especially early on, but he quickly devolved into a whiny brat that couldn't stand not being the center of attention or not getting his way. At least he didn't have as many cheap, ass-pull wins like Iris' Axew did, so that's a few points in his favor. But yeah, Piplup would get my vote over Chloe if he was included in the list.

Question: if the poll included "walking" Pokémon...would Meowth count for his brief stint in BW? :hmm:
Why would anyone vote for Meowth? The TRio are the best characters in the show (although, I suppose, they weren't that great in BW).

Piplup also comes across as a poor role model for any preschoolers who watch the anime on eloquence, by throwing tantrums when things don't go his way, stealing food from a newborn out of jealousy, disowning his trainer and running away after she praises a Gible, and basically rejecting something as invertible as a changing world. Not to mention vowing to remain a whiny toddler forever by never evolving.

And that's what makes him come across as unlikeable and a Pokémon version of Caillou.
You know, I never thought of that analogy but it's more accurate than a move coming off of No Guard. Piplup having a big, round head makes things even more appropriate. I actually forgot about the Gible part but that makes things worse for me now that I remember. It's like Dawn can't give any other Pokemon praise and attention other than Piplup. It's a wonder that brat doesn't know Toxic, it sure describes its behavior and its relationship with Dawn if you think about it. And that whole Everstone bit was a big slap to the face from the writers. Piplup had long worn its welcome out by then. The message is pretty much a big screw you to the audience and a clear statement that the writers love this little brat and it's gonna stay like that forever. Glad we don't have to see this thing again in horizons.

Back
Top Bottom