• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Localized Names

Re: English names

Well, maybe they weren't looking for any pattern other than the "Pan" part of their names, so no need to rain down on poor little Panpour.

Doesn't piss me off as much as "Tepig", but I really don't know how I feel about them.

I guess I'll just wait until I hear their evolution names. But they're okay.

That reminds me. I was so sad when I found out about "Tepig"!!! I mean, we got "Oshawott" and "Snivy", which sound so awesome, and then...

"Tepig".

D'aww... I just hope its evolutionary line has great names. XD

Great? I'm hoping for decent. Hopefully they are. I'll probably end up using Pokabu > English name for Chaoboo > English name for Enbuoh

If they're good anyway.

I can't wait until we finally get something for Geechisu though...

Pansear sounds like you are cooking something
Panpour is ok, it could be worse
Pansage i think is the best, but i like Grass monkey the best

^This is pretty much how I feel.

How do you think they'll go with the evolutions?

The Monkey part being a prefix or a suffix?

Like...

Mmmm, I can't think of an example. I'm sure someone can get what I mean though.

Pansage, Pansear, and Panpour? Sounds like something I would come up with when creating a pokemon but it works. As usual though it's gonna be hard getting used to calling them that.

can someone tell me where pansage comes from? (inb4 4chan meaning of sage)

"Pan" coming from the scientific names of chimpanzees, and "sage" from the plant or herb Sage.

oh yeah! now I remember.
anyway, The names arent good, but they dont suck
so yeah

No offence TPCi but Oshawott n Tepig sound very shitty. I've been tryin' to let them grow on me but I can't seem to like them.

Hey, they have to make up names for over 600 pokemon

You can't blame them for not making the best ones once in a while..

Meh yeah.

But Ohsawott isn't as bad when you read the possible name origin on our very own site. It manages to reference Otters and Samurais at the same time. I'll give them that, even though I prefer Miju.

Tepig however, eh....

I wonder if they will do the dp thing like dawn and paul so now we have bw maybe dento will become Brent which i hope since it's my name and Iris maybe Wendy or something

I'm sure that keeping Iris's name the way it is will be the best thing to do for now. It's an American name too, and a character keeping their Japanese name isn't unheared of. *CoughNCough*

i wouldn't be against them keeping it as is but if they do it would be fun to have my name in the main cast

Meh yeah.

But Ohsawott isn't as bad when you read the possible name origin on our very own site. It manages to reference Otters and Samurais at the same time. I'll give them that, even though I prefer Miju.

Tepig however, eh....

Otters n Samurai?(Not Samurais your funny) That sounds kinda cool maybe I'll like it's name more when it's said n the anime.

I could see Dento's name bein' Dent n Iris's stayin' the say their already American names anyway.

That makes sense, considering why LeafGreen was made instead of WaterBlue. I forgot who said it exactly, but it was stated that they made LeafGreen because it related to peace and tranquillity, opposite of what FireRed portrayed, wherein WaterBlue would just reflect FireRed's savage theme.

So, relating to this, I'm guessing that Pansage was meant to be the "peaceful" one of the trio.

Although I could be wrong. it could just be derived from the plant variety.
It could also work like that. I'm pretty sure one Prof. Oak's bits at the ends said that Yanappu are calm and don't get agitated easily.

For those saying "they won't change character X's name because it's already an English-sounding name", don't get your hopes up. They'll likely get changed for the sake of changing. And for shoehorning puns (especially with Gym Leaders).

The names Pansage, Pansear and Panpour sounds like names for pandas, but I guess there cannot be any other names. Panzeesage, Panzeesear and Panpour might sound too odd, though. If those are their names, I can see the "sage", "sear" and "pour" being used for their respective evolutions.

Thanks for reading.

Back
Top Bottom