• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Localized Names

Re: English names

Darmanitan = Dar-MAHN-ih-tahn.

Or at least, that's how I pronounce it.

Big Pecks? LOL

I like them. Good names, especially Professor Juniper.

Yeah, moxie wasn't expected, but it's sure a fun name.

Oh, come on guys. I think Sandile sounds cute.

Klink made my day. Good job, Nintendo :lol:.

They're all pretty good.. but I can figure out Blitzle's origin... or how to say Darmanitan.
Blitzle most likely comes from the German word blitz which means bolt.

I don't know why they have Munna with the same name but they change Gear's name.

Finally, we have more English names! I never thought that Chillarmy's name will receive a change, but I guess I was overpredicting this. Gigalith I like, because it sounds quite catchy and better-sounding in English than the Japanese name. I wouldn't have guessed that Sandile is the name, because it sounded simple (which is a good thing). Looks like some were right when hihidaruma has "Dharma" in the name (though I guess it's shortened for 10 character limit). Blitzle is the best name for the zebra, and Klink is at least something compared to Gear. Pidove sounds similar to the way Bidoof sounds, and if Munna keeps his/her name, then Musharna might as well keep the name too.

I knew Overconfidence will never keep the name, and Moxie is now the word, which is a good thing, because that's a new word learned for everyone. Sheer Force is as good as Brute Force, but Big Pecks is the most odd of them all, because it now sounds like more different Pokemon will be able to have this ability (similar to Rough Skin's Japanese name).

Oh, and Professor Juniper...Juniper Lee? Nah...

Thanks for reading.

It's great to see all the english names of the new pokemon gradually coming in. Of the most recent ones I love all of them except for maybe pidove. The first thing that came to mind when I saw the name minccino though was the missing no. glitch. I also like the name for Professor Juniper even though I expected her to be called professor yew.

Pidove is my least favorite of the names, but in all honesty I didn't want one anyways.

Oh, and for the attack names,

Wild Bolt -> Wild Charge (Not as nice sounding without the bolt, but charging at foes is where the attack's at, so it's all good)
Tail Sweep -> Tail Slap (Sounds like a potential future move tutor, like Pain Split?)
Telekinesis -> Telekinesis (Same name)

Thanks for reading.

I don't know why they have Munna with the same name but they change Gear's name.
Because naming decisions in Pokémon are arbitrary like that. There's no written rule. Even the only "rule" (Legendaries keep the same name) has been broken recently (The Lake Trio).

Of course, in the vast majority of the cases, no one should expect them to keep the Japanese names at all. Not when they've changed around stuff like the Rocket Executives, where only Proton needed a different name to not conflict with Lance.

They're all pretty good.. but I can figure out Blitzle's origin... or how to say Darmanitan.

The name blitzle fits Shimama since blitz means "lightning" in German.

Well, I actually kinda like the names. A lot better than the starter names.

People that are complaining about them will eventually warm up, Im sure of it.

Is "moxie" supposed to be a synonim for "overconfident"? 'Cause it's sure as hell the first time I've heard such a word.

EDIT: What Wikipedia showed...

File:Moxie.jpg

My Guesses
Janovy=Snakevy(Snake Ivy
Jalorda=Snaking(Snake King)
Chaoboo= Supig (super pig)
Enbouh=Fipig( Fight pig)
Futachimaru= Oshaslice/Osharai (LIke Oshawaott but with slice or samurai.)
Daikenki= Oshasord (Oshawott and sword)
I really hope they use Osharai!

Back
Top Bottom