• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Localized Names

Re: English names

I love just about all the new names, especially Darmanitan ("Dharma" + "orangutan" = perfect!), Gigalith and Klink (which I thought they ought to have called Shinx by romanizing Kolink). Minccino might come from "mink" and Chillaccino's suffix, perhaps meaning the evo will keep its name? And Munna probably kept its name because, if for no other reason, it sounds like "moon". My least favorite is also Pidove; just mixing "pidgeon" and "dove", which are already interchangeable, does not a great name make.

Big Pecks is my favorite of the new ability names for having a double meaning: pecks as in "pecs", the pectoral muscles of the chest, and pecks as in bird pecks. I've already heard of Moxie, so I get it.

One new prediction: Darumakka = Darmite

Okay, I'll be honest I like the sound of Oshasord.

Didn't think Munna would keep it's name (although I wonder if it'll be pronounced differently). "Klink" amuses me as well.

"Juniper" reminds me of "Juniper Lee", but I can picture Araragi as a Juniper.

Mr. Zebra doesn't look like a "Shimama" to me (but hey, I don't call a zebra a "shimauma"), but it doesn't look like a "Blitzle" either. But it is easy to pronounce.

I thought Chillarmy would keep it's name, but I would've prefered "Minccino" be saved for its evolution. That is, unless "Chillaccino" is kept, but I doubt that.

Gosh darn it, maybe I should come up with predictions for all the English names of the Pokemon and see how many of them come true. Even excluding the legendaries that keep their name, surely I'll get one right. Or not.

Because naming decisions in Pokémon are arbitrary like that. There's no written rule. Even the only "rule" (Legendaries keep the same name) has been broken recently (The Lake Trio).

That rule was broken in Generation I. They didn't even have anything close-sounding to Freezer, Thunder, and Fire. Then again, expecting those names to be kept is... meh...

That rule was broken in Generation I. They didn't even have anything close-sounding to Freezer, Thunder, and Fire. Then again, expecting those names to be kept is... meh...
To be fair, that was the first Generation, and there wasn't much to go by. Yes, Mewtwo and Mew had pretty much the same name, but the Birds didn't (Understandably so, as you pointed out). Then came the 2nd and 3rd Generations, which kept absolutely all Legendaries' names the same as the Japanese names, with no real meaningful alteration to them. 4th Generation was the second time they completely changed around some Legendaries' names.

Ultimately, my point is that there's no real rule for the names, so they do as they see fit. Personally, I'm glad Klink got its name. It's way more inspired than Gear, the Gear Pokémon. lol. Munna might have kept its name, but it doesn't means other Pokémon would, or should.

"Juniper" reminds me of "Juniper Lee", but I can picture Araragi as a Juniper.
Same here hehehe. Now that image of Professor Juniper beating up monsters only she can see will never leave my head. :p

My Guesses
Janovy=Snakevy(Snake Ivy
Jalorda=Snaking(Snake King)
Chaoboo= Supig (super pig)
Enbouh=Fipig( Fight pig)
Futachimaru= Oshaslice/Osharai (LIke Oshawaott but with slice or samurai.)
Daikenki= Oshasord (Oshawott and sword)
I really hope they use Osharai!

...wat im sry but these just...
Janovy = Slyvine (snake and ivy is for snivy)
Jalorda = Smuglord (all i can thing of, plus snaking is too close to slaking)
Chaoboo = Pignite (obvious name is obvious)
Enbouh=EMBOAR (extremely obvious name is extremely obvious)
the last two i rly dont care bout
but ENBOUH and FIPIG?! srsly, u must be new here

Same here hehehe. Now that image of Professor Juniper beating up monsters only she can see will never leave my head. :p

LOL!! Me too.

I made up the name "Dojotter" for Oshawotts final evolution BEFORE Daikenki came, but that doesn't mean the name can't be used for its english name :3

So I have my guess on Dojotter as Daikenkis english name XD

Btw. I just love all the new names, and just as many others doesn't, I don't like Pidove either. Its just a really weird mixed up name... IMO

All this information...! Now that's a nice birthday present!

Pidove: It's okay. Not bad, but it doesn't particularly stand out or anything.

Sandile: Makes me think of sandals. A couple of people saw this one coming, didn't they?

Blitzle: Ah, I do love me some gratuitous German. I'm loving this Pokémon even more now! Didn't think it was possible, but hey.

Minccino: To be honest, I thought it'd keep its Japanese name and give a name like this to the evolution.

Klink: Much better than its Japanese name, then again anything would. Now I'm thinking of incarceration. You know, the clink? Anybody?

Darmanitan: Nice to see the daruma reference hasn't been thrown out. And am I the only one reminded of Darmani the dead Goron from Zelda: Majora's Mask?

Gigalith: The giga-sized monolith. It works.

Strange that Munna is staying the same. Huh.

Castelia City: I like it, but where does the name come from? The towns are named after patterns in Japanese, any sign of that here?

Professor Juniper: Also a lovely name. Nice!

Sheer Force: It gives more of a clue to its effect than its Japanes name, so that's good.

Big Pecks: ...I can only wince and cough politely. That is all.

Moxie: This word needs more love. I would've called it Arrogance myself. Meh, I'll live. *shrug*

Wild Charge: Sounds more like a physical move now, so that's a plus.

Tail Slap: Well, all the Pokémon who can use it have tails... More specific than Sweep Slap.

I was wondering if they'd change Telekinesis, but I'm totally cool with it staying the same.

On a more predictive note...

Frozen World - Icy World (The move's 'kogoeru sekai' in Japanese, and Icy Wind is 'kogoeru kaze')

I think Musharna might change a little bit....but still be very similar.

Something like Mushina (Moo-shine-a)

I'd love to see it stay exactly the same though but I'm not sure if it will. :(

Munna might be staying the same because of the way it's pronounced. Moo-na sounds like the moon. It evolves with a moon stone too so there is already a relation.

Castelia is somewhat from Castaway or something in that way... :b

...wat im sry but these just...
Janovy = Slyvine (snake and ivy is for snivy)
Jalorda = Smuglord (all i can thing of, plus snaking is too close to slaking)
Chaoboo = Pignite (obvious name is obvious)
Enbouh=EMBOAR (extremely obvious name is extremely obvious)
the last two i rly dont care bout
but ENBOUH and FIPIG?! srsly, u must be new here

Alot of people said Emboar so I wanted to think of something different. That was a minor spelling error, and these are just my guesses, I really don't care if they are perfect or not.

ANYWAYS, more guesses time!(These are really lame, I know)
Minezumi= Peekmunk (Peek and Chipmunk)
Miruhog= Peerkat (Peer and Meerkat)
Yorterry (It probably will be left the same because Yorterry is basically Yorkshire Terrier, which is what the species is based off of)
Haderia= Musterry(Mustache and terrier. This one is pretty bad.:sweatlol:)
Murando- Terrisu (Terrier and the Tzu part of Shih Tzu)
Choroneko- Darcat (Obviously, Dark and Cat)
Lepardas- Lepardark (Leopard and dark)

Tepig -> Hognite( Hog + Ignite) -> Emboar (Ember + Boar)
Snivy -> Viner (Vines + Viper) -> Viprass (Viper + Grass)
Oshawott -> Otturai (Otter + Samurai) -> Conseal (Conch + Seal)
Pansage -> Alokey (Aloe + Look + Monkey) read as Alowki
Pansear -> Flarkey (Flare + Monkey) read as Fleyrki
Panpour -> Brinkey (Brine + Monkey) read as Braynki
Klink -> *Klinkling (sounds like linking) -> *Klinklord
Blitzle -> Zeblitz (Zebra and Blitz)
Pidove -> Peageon (Peafowl + Pidgeon) -> ???
Sandile -> Desodile (Dessert + Crocodile) -> ???

Nageki (the red one??)> Juudo
Dageki (the blue one??)> Martial

just random names, i can thnk of..

"Darmanitan" is kinda close to the name I had going for Hihidaruma. Gear's name is nice, and Minccino works fine. Gigalith is fine enough (the Japanese was fine I thought), and Munna didn't need or want a change. Blitzle I also like.

Sandile and Pidove are fine enough. Eh.

I'm not sure about this, but maybe Pidove could be more than just pidgeon + dove? For example, I immediately saw the word "Pied", like piebald, as in a bald eagle. I don't know, it sounded good when I thought of it. Anyway, Darmanitan, Sandile, Blitzle, and Professor Juniper are the names I like most.

For some reason, I keep thinking that Samuraider or at least a part of it would make a good name for a Pokemon. Maybe the Komatana/Kirikizan line.

Samurai + Raider. Could be pronounced sam-ER-AY-DER or sam-ER-I-DER

Thoughts:
  • First part of the name, SAMURAI, is pretty much self-explanatory. Even the JP name Komatana has "katana" inside it's name, which refers to a sword used by Samurais.

• sam-ER-AY-DER accentuates the RAIDER part of the name.
    • Raiders could fit with the DARK-type of Komatana/Kirikizan.

• sam-ER-I-DER could have a double meaning for RIDER.
    • Komatana/Kirikizan Origins (Bulbapedia): "...There is also a resemblance to the Super Sentai and Kamen Rider series' suited heroes..."

Those are all my thoughts on the name so far.. just wanted to post it here to get my mind off of it.

Funny, the name first occurred to me when I was naming a game for this Game Developer SIM game on my iPod Touch and then it struck me that.. nvm.

..Oh, and I call Samuraider if it ever comes true. Whether it be for Komatana or Kirikizan :rolleyes:

On the new names? I'm liking all of them. Castelia City rolls off the tongue really well. Sandile sounds plain, but I could see Ash yelling the name when he releases Meguroko.

More guesses time!
Yanakkie= Panwill (Pan from its pre-evo and willow)
Baokkie= Panburn (Pan from its pre-evo and burn)
Hiyakkie= Panflood (Pan from its pre-evo and flood)
Musharna= Mooshina (as stated earlier, moonshine)
Hatooboo= Escadove (Escape and dove)
Kenhorou= Hundove (Hunt and dove)
Zeburaika= Zeblitz (Zeebra and Blitz)
Dangoro= Gerock (Geode and rock. Kinda sounds similar to Geodude.)
Gantoru= Gelith (Geode and lith from its evo)

Maybe they've decided to name the cities after types of buildings in the English version.

Big Pecks? I wonder if Nintendo knows here n Mississippi a "peck" is a nickname for Penis used mostly by kids n adults since Penis n Dick sound to derogatory.

Back
Top Bottom