• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Localized Names

Re: English names

I'm pretty sure I've had fennel in a salad. o_O

I really don't know why they'd change a name like Bel/Bell/Belle, but not a Gender Blender Name like Cheren...

I mean pawniard? Seriously, nothing could come up for a red blue dragon but that?

'Pawniard' is for Komatana, not Crimgan :p Comes from 'Pawn' and 'Poignard', as in the sword. Or dagger, rather.

Anyway, going over Rusty's list helped me warm up to a lot of these, since meanings and pronounciations became a lot clearer. But still, there are several that really don't sit well with me. Cofagrigus, Samurott, Unfezant, Axew are some of the main culprits.
Also, Excadrill.

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure Cofagrigus would be pronounced something like COFF-uh-GREE-gus, so you wouldn't have that little problem.

And you guys will get used to them. These things happen.

Remember how everybody hated Oshawott at first? (I mean the Pokémon, not the name), and now, he's arguably the most popular of the three.

I'm pretty sure Cofagrigus would be pronounced something like COFF-uh-GREE-gus, so you wouldn't have that little problem.
It's not pronounciation difficulty that's the problem. Hell, it never really struck me as the type that would be difficult to pronounce anyway. It's just the fact that I don't really like how the name looks and sounds, is all.

Bianca, huh! I'm very, very pleased with this ~ <3

Here's a quick trivia for the ultimate Whitney fan:

Whitney's German name is Bianca ( the same white-pun, I guess)! :p

I hope Bel keeps her japanese name in my country because we already have a Bianca...

It's not pronounciation difficulty that's the problem. Hell, it never really struck me as the type that would be difficult to pronounce anyway. It's just the fact that I don't really like how the name looks and sounds, is all.

That was more directed at the people who freaked out because it has the word "fag" in it.

Despite one of the earlier Pikachu's Jukebox songs using the line "It'll kick your Grass!"

That was more directed at the people who freaked out because it has the word "fag" in it.

Despite one of the earlier Pikachu's Jukebox songs using the line "It'll kick your Grass!"
But those people aren't on this page...

Anyway, the first part should stick together, 'cof,' simply because it almost assuredly comes from 'coffin.' Anyway, at least as I've been pronouncing it, the 'a' makes the same sound as in 'fag.' The 'f,' 'a,' and 'g' all make it into seperate syllables. Cof a gri gus. (Cof ag ri gus sounds good too, for the effect of the 'r.')

I think the middle part is inspired in part by 'agriculture' (or more closely by Latin words for farmer/farming, etc.) I dunno: it's only half a stretch.

I don't like the name because it's strange as hell. I kinda like Woobat and Musharna is of course fine. (Kinda sounds like 'moonshine,' and while it does gives me thoughts of the drink, those thoughts mean relatively nothing to me.) But I'm only commenting about those on the official site, which were also repeated on Serebii.

Oh wow. Just... wow. It's Generation I all over again. I can imagine how the brainstorming session went on this one:

"You know what would be a great idea that everyone would love and absolutely no one would condemn us for? If we think up names that are so simplistic and retarded that it feels like Red and Blue all over again."

To which someone else replied:

"I'll do you one better. Let's make up names that are even more simplistic and retarded than that. You know, like some of the Red and Blue beta names that were so fucking stupid, they'd didn't even make the final cut in a game with characters named shit like Seel and Grimer.

And then a third person said:

Also, let's change perfectly acceptable Japanese names that are already derived from English words that anyone with half a brain will understand and change them into retarded puns and palindromes or names that no longer make the slightest bit of sense and only a retard could understand, and by understand, I mean not care that they suck because they're easily amused. Also, let's take names that are easy to pronounce and arbitrarily add and subtract letters to make them sound awkward because why the fuck not? And for good measure, let's misspell everything so you have to read the names aloud several times to be able to figure out where the hell they came from."

Seriously, they have to realize that even though the games are designed for kids, who are easily amused, the kids that started playing in Generation I are still here. And they have extremely low tolerance for bullshit like this. Now, I know a lot of you seem to think people like me are overreacting, but seriously, have you seen some of these names:

Servine - Um, no. Just no.
Serperior - Rhyperior? Who's Rhyperior? Now you're just making shit up.
Pignite - One the one hand, anyone with half a brain could have thought of it. On the other, Nintendo's localization team don't appear to have a tenth of a brain among them. Obviously stolen from the fandom.
Emboar - See Pignite.
Dewott - Meh. Makes me think of "Doo-Wop". Which makes me think of Wayne Brady on Whose Line. So it gets points for that I guess.
Samurott - I don't like that it ends in "rot", but it's sorta catchy.
Patrat - Oh, it's the new Rattata. Except it's not a rat. Also, "patrol" (that's what it's from right?) isn't pronounced "PAT-rohl". If you have to mispronounce it for it to be catchy, it sucks.
Watchog - I hope we're supposed to pronounce the "h". WAHCH-awg sounds awkward.
Lillipup - No.
Herdier - No.
Stoutland - Meh.
Purrloin - Wait, a name that's actually clever? Obviously stolen from someone. (ucwatididthar?)
Liepard - And just like that, we're back in the crap.
Simisage - Saw it coming a mile away. Meh.M
Simisear - See Simisage.
Simipour - Okay, the word "pour" isn't working guys. Panpour was crap, and so is this.
Musharna - Also saw this coming. Not as catchy as Munna, but better than anything the localization team could come up with.
Tranquill - Lame pun couldn't be lamer.
Unfezant - Whoops, spoke too soon.
Zebstrika - One letter makes all the difference people. You'll always be Zebrika to me.
Roggenrola - What is this I don't even?
Boldore - I hate names that use two words for the same aspect of a Pokémon (boulder = rock, ore = rock), but... it's a rock. Not a lot they could do with that one, I guess.
Woobat - When you're combining words in a name, you have to blend them. Sticking the whole words side by side is not creative and sounds like crap. If they always did that, we'd have names like Bulbdinosaur and Unpleasantpheasant and OshawaOhsawaOceanWaterOtterWhateverOtherPunsAreInThisStupidThingsName (seriously, Miju is the Cadillac of punny Pokémon names, except that Cadillacs aren't crap). Also, You already did that.
Swoobat - Adding one letter to an already uncreative name doesn't make it a whole lot better, guys.
Drillbur - Not sure what the "bur" part is from, but it doesn't suck, so I'm not even going to ask.
Excadrill - So it excavates. With drills. No mention of moles? "Excavole" would've been awesome. But no. You can't let us have nice things, can you Nintendo?
Audino - Another one I can't figure out half of. It sucks regardless.
Timburr - Not sure what the "burr" part is from, but it sucks, so I'm not even going to ask.
Gurdurr - This... explains a lot.
Conkeldurr - GTFO.
Tympole - Meh.
Palpitoad - Oh, another great name. I really hope this doesn't go the same route as Purrloin...
Seismitoad - ...AAAAAND I Jynx'd it. Well, not as bad as Liepard, I guess. I'll get used to it.
Throh - I believe it was Shakespeare who once said, "All the world's a stage, and YOU'RE CRAP!" (cookie if you get the reference) Somehow, this is over 9000 times worse than Seel. Misspelling words to incorporate a pun is bad enough, but at least it's creative. Misspelling words because you suck at naming things isn't creative; it just shows how much you suck at naming things.
Sawk - As Julius Caesar once said, "Et tu, CRAPE?" (seriously, I've got a million of these) Maybe you meant "sock", as in "I'm going to sock you in the face"? Newsflash - "sock" does not rhyme with "hawk". Not in any accent I've ever heard anyway.
Sewaddle - Doesn't sound so much like "swaddle" as it does like "so waddle". Fail.
Swadloon - Swaddle is a stupid word. Stop using it.
Leavanny - Crap. I have nothing more to say.
Venipede - Ventipede would've sounded way better. One freaking letter, people. Although as this is one of the better names on the list, I should just be thanful they didn't call it Sentypied.
Whirlipede - Meh.
Scolipede - Pendra was better.
Cottonee - Stop. Just please, stop.
Whimsicott - A crap name turns into an awesome name? Well this is new. Probably shouldn't get used to it though.
Petilil - Lame.
Lilligant - Okay, not as cool as Whimsicott, but still pretty cool.
Basculin - Okay, three good names in a row? Murphy's law says the next final form has a shit name.
Krokorok - I stand by my prediction.
Krookodile - Well, how 'bout that. Maybe the worst is over?
Darumaka - Never was a fan of that name, but it evolves into Darmanitan. I don't want to get my hopes up, but we're on a roll here...
Maractus - Another name they probably stole from the fandom. Which in this case is not remotely a bad thing.
Dwebble - Come on, we had six in a row, don't ruin this...
Crustle - C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!
Scraggy - I'm never using this thing, so I don't really care what it's called.
Scrafty - See Scraggy.
Sigilyph - Fuck yeah Sigilyph.
Yamask - Not fully evolved so it doesn't count. For the record, crap.
Cofagrigus - Once you get past the "fag" thing (not that there's anything wrong with that), pretty awesome name for a pretty awesome Pokémon.
Tirtouga - Lame.
Carracosta - Lame.
Archen - Lame.
Archeops - Not remotely creative, but it sounds good, so I'm not complaining.
Trubbish - Not bad. Also pretty much sums up the majority of this list.
Garbodor - Another one you have to mispronounce to make it sound cool.
Cinccino - Meh.
Gothita - Lame.
Gothorita - Oh, you added two letters, that makes it better.
Gothitelle - Another Japanese name ruined for no reason whatsoever.
Solosis - No.
Duosion - Double no.
Reuniclus - See Gothitelle.
Ducklett - When this is one of the best names on the list, you know something's wrong.
Swanna - Crap.
Vanillite - No.
Vanillish - NO!
Vanilluxe - NO! NO! NO!
Deerling - Okay, I guess.
Sawsbuck - Here's how this probably went:
"I can't think of a name for this Pokémon"
"Have you tried inventing a retarded acronym that conveniently happens to be an actual word so people will wonder why you named a deer Pokémon after a fucking cutting tool?"
Emolga - They keep Archen, and change this. To something that no longer makes sense. Whatever.
Karrablast - 10-year olds don't know what "Carabidae" is. Especially when you misspell it. They do, however, know what a "Scarab" is, which is pretty close. Also, the word "blast" has nothing to do with this Pokémon. In any way. Whatsoever.
Escavalier - Thank you. Thank you God.
Foongus + Amoonguss - Yes.
Frillish - Lame.
Jellicent - Less lame.
Alomomola - Mamambo, retards. Its Japanese name is already fucking English. Don't fix what isn't broken.
Joltik - I approve of this.
Galvantula - Now we're talking.
Ferroseed - Cool.
Ferrothorn - This too.
Klang, Klinklang - Predictable. Also, lame.
Tynamo - Cool.
Eelektrik - A little too close to Electrike. Also, stop misspelling shit.
Eelektross - Meh.
Elgyem - Okay name for a crap Pokémon.
Beheeyem - Less okay name for an equally crap Pokémon.
Litwick - Redundant but catchy.
Lampent - Lame.
Chandelure - Awesome.
Axew - It has "ew" right in the name. It's trying to tell us something.
Fraxure - Ah, the old misspelling words to make a pun shtick. Never gets old. Oh wait...
Haxorus - This name is full of win. That is all.
Cubchoo - Gesundheit. Also, GTFO.
Beartic - If you say it quickly, it sounds like "bear dick". You're welcome.
Cryogonal - Cool.
Shelmet - Simple, obvious, yet it doesn't suck. It's that easy, people. Why can't you do this for ALL of them?
Accelgor - And just like that, crap.
Stunfisk - Sounds like a Stunky-Luvdisc hybrid. Again, you're welcome.
Mienfoo - Your what now?
Mienshao - Stop ruining my favorite Pokémon. Seriously.
Druddigon - No.
Golett - If you're going to use the word "Golem", which is already the name of a Pokémon, at least make it more than one letter different.
Golurk - WTF?
Pawniard - Sweet.
Bisharp - Less sweet, but still not bad.
Bouffalant - You know what, I'm not even going to bother explaining why they suck anymore. Just no.
Rufflet - No.
Braviary - Yes. Very yes.
Vullaby - Nice.
Mandibuzz - Never mind.
Heatmor - No.
Durant - No.
Deino - No.
Zweilous - No.
Hydreigon - No.
Larvesta - Okay.
Volcarona - Pretty cool.
Cobalion - Stop adding letters. Now it sounds fucking retarded.
Terrakion - You maybe should have taken away a letter here actually.
Virizion - Should have been Viridion man.
Tornadus, Thundurus, Landorus - Why. Seriously, why?
Kyurem - What else would it be?

Also, Free Fall -> Sky Drop is a major fail. Also Fennel. Seriously, what the hell?

/rant

On the plus side, aside from the horrid names and the few terrible designs, everything else about these games are awesome. And I will definitely be using Zebstrika, Excadrill, and Mienshao on my team, with kick-awesome nicknames of course. Why isn't it March yet?

I don't think that all of these are confirmed. There was a giant batch that was supposedly a spoiler (I think), with some of those among them being later confirmed by IGN and the main site. (I think.)

Audino is Idunno/I don't know

Like how Tabunne is maybe

Musharna - Also saw this coming. Not as catchy as Munna, but better than anything the localization team could come up with.

Sorry, but I stopped listening when I reached the part where you're annoyed with a japanese name.

Audino is Idunno/I don't know

Like how Tabunne is maybe

It's a play on "Audio", because it has rather large ears. I was hoping for something like Mebbe, as a throhback to Chansey.

But I will agree that Throh and Sawk are awful names.

I can't even begin to imagine a trainer saying, "I chose you, Sawk!"

Damn, Bell really keeps her japanese name in germany...I am so glad.

We got other new names as well, and most of them are hilariously bad...

Minezumi is Nagelotz. really? damn, Rodent + stare?

Gothiruselle is Morbitesse? Morbid + tesse )

Lanculus as Zytomega is pretty awesome though. ( Zyto as in cytosis)

Kibago as Milza is a joke...but at least better than Axew. ( Milza seems to come from the german word "milchzahn", which means "primary tooth", so it is fitting. somewhat.

the worst is Desukān....Echnatoll. Echnatoll? I guess NOE is trolling us with this name.

But Bel/Bell keeping her name makes my day so all is well.

The male playable character seems to be called "Kuro",japanese for "black".
Is the same true for the english version?

Edit: It seems Kuro is used in the German version...the sceenshot with the playable character recieving the C-Gear calls him just "Trainer" in the english version of the homepage while he is called "Kuro" in German. strange.

Last edited:

It's a play on "Audio", because it has rather large ears. I was hoping for something like Mebbe, as a throhback to Chansey.

But I will agree that Throh and Sawk are awful names.
no it's not

Pronounce it Au-Din-No
:I

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be Au-Din-No
To go along with the pun.

Or maybe it's both.

Either way, we'll find out in the anime... even if it takes four years like it did with Arceus.

Or maybe it's both.

Either way, we'll find out in the anime... even if it takes four years like it did with Arceus.

I think it is supposed to be both
but mostly the "I don't know" part

That's the only way it made sense to me

Back
Top Bottom