• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Localized Names

Re: English names

Perhaps they decided to call Archaeos "Archeops" because Archaeos sounds too much like Arceus. Who's with me?

Perhaps they decided to call Archaeos "Archeops" because Archaeos sounds too much like Arceus. Who's with me?

Well, it wouldn't have mattered if they'd gone with a better pronunciation. [/stilltickedoffaboutarrkeeuss

Some of you people are just too much... CRAZY! Why hating on some names, which makes more sense than the Japanese ones, when you're ALL gonna get used to them in the end?! Its always like this, but why does it have to be like that?! .___.

I know its your opinions, and thats fair, but its really just getting too much out of hand when you're acting like this...

Some of you people are just too much... CRAZY! Why hating on some names, which makes more sense than the Japanese ones, when you're ALL gonna get used to them in the end?! Its always like this, but why does it have to be like that?! .___.

I know its your opinions, and thats fair, but its really just getting too much out of hand when you're acting like this...

Lol, that's just the way Pokemon fans express themselves. xD
You know they'll get used to the names eventually. So let them bicker and stuff. It'll all blow over soon. :B

I have a strange idea Kuitaran's English name is gonna be Flanteater...

Apparently judging from the apparent leak (Which we are not really sure if it's real or not but since Nintendo hasn't said it was fake so I'm thinking it's true) his name is Heatmor...

Hm. I don't know if this has already been discovered, but I believe that Hydreigon incorporates "legion", into the name. I was pronouncing it as "Hy-dray-gon", but I've since changed to "Hy-dree-gin".

Hm. I don't know if this has already been discovered, but I believe that Hydreigon incorporates "legion", into the name. I was pronouncing it as "Hy-dray-gon", but I've since changed to "Hy-dree-gin".

It's from Hydra, the three-headed serpent from Greek myth, drei, the German word for three, and dragon.

HY-DRY-gun, basically.

Totally suggested Hydragon a few weeks back, so close yet so far.

The more I look at a few of these, the more I like them. Meinfoo and Meinshao seem much cooler while Roggenrola seems like a wonderfully cheesy replacement for Geodude.

Conkeldurr is going to always make me laugh though I'm afraid. Too many funny syllables.

Yeah, and what's so bad with showing that Nintendo is aware of its fandom?
Nothing if its Pokemon names, everything if they go beyond that into, say, zelda or Mario. Anyway when it comes to liking em or not, I can't complain. Sure there are some sour cherry's in this patch of sweets, but you can't complain, especially if the games give you some hilarious Engrish.

Yeah, I can clearly see it:

Deino (Obviously Ein + Dino) <- Dinosaur because it looks like a small dinosaur, not a traditional dragon. Ein because it has one head.
Zweilous (Zwei + Jealous) <- Jealously is a "Dark" trait. Zwei because it has two heads.
Hydreigon. (Hydra + Drei + Dragon). <- Drei because it has 3 heads, is the third evolutionary stage and it sounds like "dra" from Hydra.

And for those who don't know, Ein is German for One, Zwei is German for Two and Drei is German for Three.
Simples.

Back
Top Bottom