• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Localized Names

Re: English names

I don't mind Hydreigon myself, but then, I don't see why they couldn't have just made it 'Dreidra' instead. As it stands, it just seems unecessarilly complicated, especially to the comparitively simpler Deino and Zweilous.

I love the names for the frog pokemon, even though I hate the frogs themselves. This partially redeems them in my eyes.

I agree that lots of these names are tricky to pronounce. Dreidra would have been easier, and it rolls off the tongue easier than Hydreigon - makes me sound like an Irishman saying "High Dragon".

Perhaps they decided to call Archaeos "Archeops" because Archaeos sounds too much like Arceus. Who's with me?

I am. That's a problem a lot of people had been complaining about for a while.

Coff-a-griss

I imagine that's the intent for desukaan

Last edited:

I agree that lots of these names are tricky to pronounce. Dreidra would have been easier, and it rolls off the tongue easier than Hydreigon - makes me sound like an Irishman saying "High Dragon".

I actually like the english names for this critter. I hope Germany keeps the english name for this one since the pun is pretty funny to me. If anything fails, I'll name my Hydreigon...well Hydreigon anyway. But I understand that, for an english speaking person, the names don't roll off the tongue. For me? well, I think the names are actually very easy to pronounce ^^"

I actually like the english names for this critter. I hope Germany keeps the english name for this one since the pun is pretty funny to me. If anything fails, I'll name my Hydreigon...well Hydreigon anyway. But I understand that, for an english speaking person, the names don't roll off the tongue. For me? well, I think the names are actually very easy to pronounce ^^"

I think they're easy to pronounce too...and I hope Germany uses it too. It'd be a shame not to when it already makes sense to you guys

It's easy for me to pronounce too, maybe it's because I'm familiar with German words.

Anyway...we should probably try to guess city names now?

I was wondering about Shippou, because it means "Seven treasures"

Treasure City?

Sounds like an acceptable name without having to go into a bad pun..

Yeah, my only problem with that is that it's a bit too plain

There's gotta be something else that'd work too...

True, though I hope it's something a bit more clever.

I still hope they go with the obvious Snowflake/Snowdrop down for Sekka though.

Meh, I'm weird.

I can pronounce Hydreigon, it's just, to pronounce the "Drei" (as I haven't spoken German in about...6 years) I end up sounding Irish xD

Shippou City...hmm:
- Heptsure City (Heptagon + Teasure)?
- Siete City (Spanish for "Seven")?
- Sietsoro City (From Siete and "Tesoro" which means treasure)?
- Septsor City (From the French "Sept" [7] and "trésor" [Treasure], can sound like Sceptre, which can be a treasure).

When I think about it as "Hy-Dry-Gun" I can say it without slipping into the accent - thanks xD

Shippou City...hmm:
- Heptsure City (Heptagon + Teasure)?
- Siete City (Spanish for "Seven")?
- Sietsoro City (From Siete and "Tesoro" which means treasure)?
- Septsor City (From the French "Sept" [7] and "trésor" [Treasure], can sound like Sceptre, which can be a treasure).

Punny, although Septure City (Sept- + Treasure) could also work. I was thinking of Cloisure (Cloisonné + Treasure), but it sounds too much like "closure" or "cloister". They could probably go with a cloud theme, like Castelia (Hiun) and Nimbassa (Raimon), so like Vertesure/Vertonne - Vertebratus (skeletal and bone like cirrus) and Treasure/Cloisonné?

On a not-so-related note, here are some more of my speculations:
Iris]: Winny - Variant of Welsh name Wynne (white). Also from wyvern.
Shaga: Basil- From basilisk and Greek word basileus (king) - "Spartan Mayor" anyone?

...They wouldn't have a cloud theme.

Hiun got a cloud theme because it's japanese name is a Cloud pattern.

So no

base the names off their meanings/patterns

I can pronounce Hydreigon, it's just, to pronounce the "Drei" (as I haven't spoken German in about...6 years) I end up sounding Irish xD

I always thought the "d" in "drei" sounds more like a "t". Either way, I'm not going to be able to lose the accent when pronouncing it.

On another note, this is the first time since after Gen.1 that a "one-two-three" trio in another language has been used.

Last edited:

@Zekurom Trio? This is an evolutionary line.

Back
Top Bottom