• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Masuda dismisses "No third version" speculation: Game director denies rumor that ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Masuda dismisses "No third version" speculation: Game director denies rumor that

It is not common practice for them them to blatantly lie about future games; what Mana Ibe did is an oddity that remains unexplained.
Uh...welcome to like, standard business practices?

It's not like the people who said she was lying were crucifying her, or atleast I hope not, it's a necessary evil to have to lie when it comes to future products.

Re: Masuda dismisses "No third version" speculation: Game director denies rumor that

My assumption was always that Ibe was put on the spot and maybe panicked a bit. It's possible that she hadn't been briefed on how to deal with questions like that - but for whatever reason, she blurted out a denial without thinking. That, or the oft-considered possibility of a translation ambiguity.

Those who are claiming that Ibe's "lie" was business strategy are overlooking the fact that Masuda contradicted it. Thus, it's unlikely that it was ever GF's policy to outright deny the possibility of future games.

I think it's possible -- not saying it's likely, though -- that Game Freak may begin working on a third version, but cancel it and put all the new features planned for it in a Ruby/Sapphire remake instead. Then, any story-related additions could be saved for Generation VI should they make it a direct sequel to B/W like GSC/HGSS was to RGBY/FRLG.

As for me actually getting the third version, it depends on which system they make it on: if it's for the DS I'm skipping it (since I barely played Emerald and Platinum), but if it's for the 3DS I might get it, just to see how much of the 3DS's capabilities they use to enhance it over B/W, and because it might do them good to get some experience with the 3DS hardware under their belts before moving on to Gen VI.

Alright: how am I going to respond to an already chaotic topic without stirring up more flames?

Well, it's certainly nice to hear that the third version is still a possibility. And due to Kyurem, the sheer number of event legendaries, and past generations, it's a very likely possibility.

I just wonder why Ibe said something different, though. We'll probably never know, but I hope Masuda provides an explanation eventually.

Thank you SO much!

I can stop hearing about peoples' theories and this "Pokemon Gray Version". I mean, come on! Pokemon wouldn't resort to such basic colours. ;)

Those who are claiming that Ibe's "lie" was business strategy are overlooking the fact that Masuda contradicted it. Thus, it's unlikely that it was ever GF's policy to outright deny the possibility of future games.

If you're cornered by a question you haven't been outright instructed on how to answer, you say "no". Assume you're not allowed to talk about something unless you know for sure you are allowed. Not that complicated, people.

To quote N:

"Many different values mix together, and the world becomes gray"

Yeeeaaaah =3

Silktree said:
what Mana Ibe did is an oddity that remains unexplained.

Of course, you're assuming Mana Ibe actually said what she was reported as saying. That all the back and forth translations were accurate, and that MeriStation is a reliable source and didn't just make the whole thing up.

I'll remind you that we *still* don't have the original, untranslated quote from her.

i really hope that there is a third game, i like 3rd version games like Emerald and Platinum.

Again, proving not to fall for "no third version" and "this main series game is end of series" speculation. Platinum was supposed to be the best game that Game Freak ever made, but then they made HGSS and Black and White. Also, it's third party and unofficial speculation, so it is probably unproven hearsay.

Again, proving not to fall for "no third version" and "this main series game is end of series" speculation. Platinum was supposed to be the best game that Game Freak ever made, but then they made HGSS and Black and White. Also, it's third party and unofficial speculation, so it is probably unproven hearsay.

anything can be the best thing they ever made,but that doesn't mean they can't strive to be even better

To quote N:

"Many different values mix together, and the world becomes gray"

Yeeeaaaah =3

:3 me approves, i don't think its a boring name for a game, you know... because its just a NAME XD

Watch the 3rd version mascot be victini. I will lmao if that happens.

yeah, i think they may remake Ruby and Sapphire before making Grey, because it be too soon for a third version game, they just made Pokemon Black and White.
Note: This is just speculation.

I think there will be a 3rd version for sure, but I doubt it will be called Gray/Grey, I remember reading on here everything thinking the 3rd game of Gen 4 would be Opal and then Platinum came as a complete surprise to everyone.

Might be true, then again grey comes close to black and white but who knows what it be called if it is getting made.

we won't know what the name will be until probably a couple of years later

I think there will be a 3rd version for sure, but I doubt it will be called Gray/Grey, I remember reading on here everything thinking the 3rd game of Gen 4 would be Opal and then Platinum came as a complete surprise to everyone.

I remember everyone thinking the third game for gen 3 would be Emerald, and then Emerald came.

...so yeah.

I remember everyone thinking the third game for gen 3 would be Emerald, and then Emerald came.

...so yeah.

True.

But look at it this way, in Generation one, there was Red and Blue, then they introduced the idea of a 3rd better version with Green. They then went further and made Yellow which was very different.

Then in Generation 2 they had Gold, Silver and... Bronze? Platinum? NO Crystal. Then in the 3rd gen everyone thought that Emerald would come after R&S, but then they surprised with remakes, which was a brand new concept at the time, then did Emerald a year later. Then in Gen 4 when everyone was thinking G&S remakes, or Opal, but they surprised us with Platinum, then doing the remakes after, and no one guessed HEARTgold, or SOULsilver.

What I'm trying to get across is, there is no precedent, every generation has had a surprise up its sleeve, and with the way they are changing everything, no doubt this one will too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom