• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Need a Name Thread

sigh More late-night flashes of inspiration again. This time resulting in waking me up at 1 AM. Anyway, I need a name for a character that I just cooked up, resulting in this middle of the night post. He's a Werefox thief (albeit one with a code of honor of sorts) who can change between a demi-human, a werefox, and a regular fox at will, depending on the situation. I want to give him a name but one that isn't really cliché like Sly and the like. Any suggestions would be great as I'm drawing blanks here (then again, it is around 1 AM here). Thanks in advance.

sigh More late-night flashes of inspiration again. This time resulting in waking me up at 1 AM. Anyway, I need a name for a character that I just cooked up, resulting in this middle of the night post. He's a Werefox thief (albeit one with a code of honor of sorts) who can change between a demi-human, a werefox, and a regular fox at will, depending on the situation. I want to give him a name but one that isn't really cliché like Sly and the like. Any suggestions would be great as I'm drawing blanks here (then again, it is around 1 AM here). Thanks in advance.
Inari?

Check this site out, too (scroll down to "in other languages")

Inari?

Check this site out, too (scroll down to "in other languages")

Thanks for those sites. I think I'll go with Kettu, the Finnish word for fox, especially since it sounds like something that would come from what little I've constructed of this possible world. Thanks!

Forgive the double post but it's time once again for me to ask for help. This time on two fronts. I need a name for two things: and item and a character. Let's start with the item.

I need a more interesting name for the Demon King Ring. Just calling it that feels really plain and rather unfitting for a ring made by the king of demons. For a brief description, the ring has a finite amount of magic that is constantly regenerating and has multiple settings that adjust the output of the magic contained in it. The settings, or "modes", are, in ascending order: Lesser Devil, Devil, Demon, Ifrit, Lucifer, and Armageddon. The higher the setting the more powerful the spell cast will be, with Armageddon releasing all the current magic contained in it at once. Unlike the ring it's based off of, it doesn't contain an avatar. That is the general gist of the Demon King Ring.

Now, moving on. the next thing I need a name for is a new character that came to me before going to bed last night. Again. This time I'm looking for a name for a male hyena-type beastman. Any suggestions would be helpful as I'm really coming up blank with him. Thanks in advance.

Since I no longer need a name for the Hyena Beastman character, and I'm leaving the current name of the Demon King Ring alone (for now), I have a new naming request.

I would like a suggestion on a series name for my prototype idea that I've been cooking up. The placeholder title is "Darkness Dawns", but it doesn't really suit it. The general theme is "Courage", due to it being central to Nova's character, but I'm running blank on anything that might be a good name for this series. Other elements include forever war, freedom, grey vs. black morality, trials, revenge, and hope. If anyone has a suggestion I'd be happy to hear it. Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

I would like a suggestion on a series name for my prototype idea that I've been cooking up. The placeholder title is "Darkness Dawns", but it doesn't really suit it. The general theme is "Courage", due to it being central to Nova's character, but I'm running blank on anything that might be a good name for this series. Other elements include forever war, freedom, grey vs. black morality, trials, revenge, and hope. If anyone has a suggestion I'd be happy to hear it. Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.
Very late reply, my apologies, but how about Courage Rising? (Unless this story isn't connected to Chaos Rising). Or maybe Dawn of Courage.

Very late reply, my apologies, but how about Courage Rising? (Unless this story isn't connected to Chaos Rising). Or maybe Dawn of Courage.

Sorry, but you are a bit late. Interestingly enough, I ultimately decided on Dawn of Courage a little while ago, so that's now the series' name. And I'm already 6 chapters into it with a 7th in the works. So, sorry, but that detail has since been ironed out. Thanks anyway, though, as I appreciate the help regardless.

Forgive the double post but I need a bit of help with a recurring character that'll eventually appear in my new series Dawn of Courage. He is a Werecat, thus is similar to the eventual main cast member: Kettu the Werefox. In terms of design he's pretty much like Kettu, being mostly human-like with animal ears, a tail, fur on his lower arms and legs, claws, and paw-like feet. Personality-wise, he's stuck-up, arrogant, cocky, racist towards humans, thinks more with his fists than his head, generally dense to more "complex" matters (see: anything that requires strategy or general intelligence), looks down upon cowards, and sees retreating from battle as a sin. He'll also have a werebeast form like Kettu, although unlike Kettu, whose form sacrifices some speed for more bulk and stamina, this character will be basically a Lightning Bruiser in his werebeast form, although it does sacrifice bulk and stamina for more raw power and speed.

This Werecat will be a recurring character, as he's also after Muu but for a more selfish reason (his Undead Army destroyed his clan's hunting grounds), and is the leader of his "pack". He's smitten for Nina and acts as a rival to Nova, and unlike Dominic, is a much more credible threat to Nova, as he's both good-looking and competent in battle. Basically, see him as the "Koga" to Nova's "Inuyasha". But that leads to the reason why I'm mentioning him: I need a good name for him. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

Time to not be late
He is a Werecat, thus is similar to the eventual main cast member: Kettu the Werefox. In terms of design he's pretty much like Kettu, being mostly human-like with animal ears, a tail, fur on his lower arms and legs, claws, and paw-like feet. Personality-wise, he's stuck-up, arrogant, cocky, racist towards humans, thinks more with his fists than his head, generally dense to more "complex" matters (see: anything that requires strategy or general intelligence), looks down upon cowards, and sees retreating from battle as a sin. He'll also have a werebeast form like Kettu, although unlike Kettu, whose form sacrifices some speed for more bulk and stamina, this character will be basically a Lightning Bruiser in his werebeast form, although it does sacrifice bulk and stamina for more raw power and speed.

This Werecat will be a recurring character, as he's also after Muu but for a more selfish reason (his Undead Army destroyed his clan's hunting grounds), and is the leader of his "pack". He's smitten for Nina and acts as a rival to Nova, and unlike Dominic, is a much more credible threat to Nova, as he's both good-looking and competent in battle. Basically, see him as the "Koga" to Nova's "Inuyasha". But that leads to the reason why I'm mentioning him: I need a good name for him. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.
If he's a parallel/opposite? to Nova (Idk who Koga and Inuyasha are as characters), then maybe something celestial related?

Time to not be late

If he's a parallel/opposite? to Nova (Idk who Koga and Inuyasha are as characters), then maybe something celestial related?

One could call it that, though not in a celestial sense. Basically everything Nova is the Werecat isn't and vice-versa (Nova's a cowardly lion, rather bland/unattractive, tends to think problems out, is rational/intelligent, is a ranged fighter, is open-minded about other races, is generally friendly, has low self-esteem, and understands the value of tactics like retreats, while the Werecat is a fearless fool who charges in without hesitation, is very good-looking, uses force to solve problems, doesn't think things through, is a close-quarter fighter, is racist towards humans, is quite the jerk, is very egotistical, and will keep fighting even if he's outgunned as he doesn't believe in retreating). So they are opposites. They do have some similarities, like both hating Dominic, both being perverted yet respectful toward women (although the Werecat is more forward and forceful with advances), both being genuinely in love with Nina, both having a crippling fear (undead for Nova and water for the Werecat), and both valuing comrades and team play. But the Werecat basically does everything in his power to put down Nova for various reasons so to win Nina over. Hope that gives you a bit more perspective of this character.

One could call it that, though not in a celestial sense. Basically everything Nova is the Werecat isn't and vice-versa (Nova's a cowardly lion, rather bland/unattractive, tends to think problems out, is rational/intelligent, is a ranged fighter, is open-minded about other races, is generally friendly, has low self-esteem, and understands the value of tactics like retreats, while the Werecat is a fearless fool who charges in without hesitation, is very good-looking, uses force to solve problems, doesn't think things through, is a close-quarter fighter, is racist towards humans, is quite the jerk, is very egotistical, and will keep fighting even if he's outgunned as he doesn't believe in retreating). So they are opposites. They do have some similarities, like both hating Dominic, both being perverted yet respectful toward women (although the Werecat is more forward and forceful with advances), both being genuinely in love with Nina, both having a crippling fear (undead for Nova and water for the Werecat), and both valuing comrades and team play. But the Werecat basically does everything in his power to put down Nova for various reasons so to win Nina over. Hope that gives you a bit more perspective of this character.
Got it!

I like @takoyaki 's suggestion of Suisei, and it seems to fit given the added context. Also:

Astero - Like asteroid, a big and intimidating thing in the sky.
Quasar - an AGN with a LOT of radiant energy.
One of Jupiter's moons - In addition to being the biggest planet in our solar system and having a Big Red Spot and in general being a planet that demands respect, Jupiter is named after the king of the Roman gods.

Need a bit more help. I'm putting the Werecat on the backburners for now, as his debut won't be until at least Kettu shows up (thus introducing the concept of Werefolk), which won't be for a bit. Now I need to think of more Undead Captain/General names, as they tend to be more frequent in appearance. Their name patterns are generally puns or a combination of words. The examples so far are Boneregard (Bone + Beauregard), Bonenapper (Bone + Kidnapper), Zomboni (Zombie + Zamboni), Wightmare (Wight + Nightmare), and Skullguard (Skull + Vanguard). Wightmare and Skullguard have yet to debut (though the latter is going to in the next chapter) but have been mentioned at least once. Now, I need some names for future Captains and Generals that would fit the scheme that I've concocted. Thanks in advance to whoever attempts this one.

Need a bit more help. I'm putting the Werecat on the backburners for now, as his debut won't be until at least Kettu shows up (thus introducing the concept of Werefolk), which won't be for a bit. Now I need to think of more Undead Captain/General names, as they tend to be more frequent in appearance. Their name patterns are generally puns or a combination of words. The examples so far are Boneregard (Bone + Beauregard), Bonenapper (Bone + Kidnapper), Zomboni (Zombie + Zamboni), Wightmare (Wight + Nightmare), and Skullguard (Skull + Vanguard). Wightmare and Skullguard have yet to debut (though the latter is going to in the next chapter) but have been mentioned at least once. Now, I need some names for future Captains and Generals that would fit the scheme that I've concocted. Thanks in advance to whoever attempts this one.
Specteral (Spectral + General)
Genghoulral (General + Ghoul)

Well, thanks to another before bed burst of inspiration I decided on a name for the Werecat: Eoleo (the "leo" part meaning lion, and he's a Werecat who is the leader of his pack). So thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions on his name.

I know a bit of Japanese, but I think @takoyaki or someone else might know more (sorry for pinging you)
Well, I'm trying to name my region's Electric-type rodent, which is a prehensile-tailed porcupine. I want to combine the Japanese onomatopoeia for thunder (which I am told is gorogoro) with the Japanese word for porcupine (Yamārashi, apparently), or maybe the word for "spine" or "needle" in a way that's coherent and makes sense.

EDIT: A friend suggested "Kaminarashi" which I think would work, but I'm open to suggestions)

Last edited:
Well, I'm trying to name my region's Electric-type rodent, which is a prehensile-tailed porcupine. I want to combine the Japanese onomatopoeia for thunder (which I am told is gorogoro) with the Japanese word for porcupine (Yamārashi, apparently), or maybe the word for "spine" or "needle" in a way that's coherent and makes sense.
Hi! Uhm as for porcupine yeah it's Yamaarashi (almost said harinezumi but Google says hedgehogs aren't porcupines?).
The kanji for it (it's usually written in kana but oh well) mean "mountain" for Yama, and "wild" for Arashi.
As for like ideas...I mean...it'd be kinda hard because "thundermountain" kinda is weird...
Spike is just "spike" IIRC, "needle" is "hari" (like in harinezumi, literally needle rat), so uhh maybe if you're stumped "Harichu"?
Chu being a cry that mice or rodent-like creatures do, and "hari" meaning needle.
Arashigoro? tbh I like Yamagoro, assuming this is a Pokémon from the mountains.

Back
Top Bottom