• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Neverending Romance -- The Shipping List Revival

LochNessShipping is indeed already taken. Do you have another name for it?

I've dug through it a bit and this is honestly the wildest thing I've seen out of the Pokemon shipping name fandom in memory. I do appreciate others filling people in about this thread and the list in general as many users may not be aware of the project, but I certainly ask that everyone remain respectful about it. The list has never existed to or claimed to force anyone into using a particular name, and there are several historical examples of an unlisted name catching on in a community despite another name being listed (eg, SeamountShipping).

If you're looking to me for input on this situation, the facts as I see them are that SweetFrontierBrainShipping - Emmet & Evelyn was listed around January 2014 and DoubleBattleShipping - Enta (CBF) & Mitsuki (CBF) was listed around February 2015. DoubleBattleShipping was actually submitted in this post on Tumblr alongside two other Enta (CBF) pairings, and hilariously, "SweetFrontierBrainShipping - Emmet and the blue Battle Chatelaine (I forgot her name)" was submitted in this Tumblr post. Since that time, both names have had real-world usage for Emmet & Evelyn, with DoubleBattleShipping having notably more. There are a lot of different facts to consider in this case, including the barely-sufficient submission for SweetFrontierBrainShipping (though it was indeed accepted by my predecessor over 8 years ago, despite their uncertainty over who the submitter was referring to), and this post by the claimed namer of DoubleBattleShipping as Emmet & Evelyn expressing acceptance or resignation to SweetFrontierBrainShipping in the tags. I'm not aware of the list ever striking down a listed name with real-world usage except for particularly egregious cases involving the content of the name itself, and I'm not particularly eager to set that precedent. However, I will say that if SweetFrontierBrainShipping's original submission was brought to me today, I likely wouldn't accept it in that state, and if Emmet & Evelyn was unnamed today, I would likely accept DoubleBattleShipping for it.

In conclusion, I don't anticipate a repeal or change to DoubleBattleShipping - Enta (CBF) & Mitsuki (CBF) in any case. The submission is completely proper regardless of anyone's feelings about the significance of the pairing or relevance of the name. I similarly don't anticipate a repeal for SweetFrontierBrainShipping - Emmet & Evelyn unless anyone can show a clear alternative for who "the blue Battle Chatelaine" could have referred to on December 25, 2013. As for DoubleBattleShipping as Emmet & Evelyn, there's a significant amount of past precedent to consider, and the best solution might be to save it as a recognized alternative like SeamountShipping was, should the untouchables return in the future. If anyone has any other proposals or input on this issue, I welcome it.

I will, however, say that in any case, I strongly prefer people using DoubleBattleShipping for Emmet & Evelyn over Emmelyn even if it's not strictly in accordance with the list. The Pokemon shipping community has nearly a 25-year-old naming tradition at this point and I don't want that to be eroded
I don't think I know how quoting works.

Anyways, how about GloryWaveShipping for Gloria & Nessa?

I know it's kind of a little too early (Pokémon Scarlet and Violet have yet to be released), but I already have these two ship names in mind...

TreasureHuntShipping or GreatestTreasureShipping - Florian & Juliana (Pokémon Scarlet and Violet protagonists)

I know it's kind of a little too early (Pokémon Scarlet and Violet have yet to be released), but I already have these two ship names in mind...

TreasureHuntShipping or GreatestTreasureShipping - Florian & Juliana (Pokémon Scarlet and Violet protagonists)
Aside from the general deferral on SV names, pairings that are anticipated to have their own community will be named by that community. <RegionName>Shipping is still the tradition as I understand it, but whether or not they go for PaldeaShipping is up to them.

After doing some researching, I'd like to retract my previous name for Palina/Iscan, as the ship already has a name in common use (SecretSeasShipping).
Thanks for letting me know! I honestly never would've known otherwise lol

If I may offer my opinion on this issue: Would there be a way to document every name used for a ship? On the one hand, I worry that people would abuse the system, but on the other hand, I think that issue could be solved by emphasizing the primary purpose of having a ship list: to make it easier for people to find content of ships they like and to make it easier to blacklist content of ships they don't. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for a shipping community to come up with a ton of names for one ship; if anything, that just confuses and decentralizes shipping communities. I think also, like you mentioned, prioritising input from the shippers of a ship could also be very helpful. Using only one name as the One True Name for a ship already excludes, for example, Japanese ship names (MikuNagi, DaiMiku, daburuchannpionn, etc.), and some names are just more common than what's listed on the Shipping List. The Shipping List is a database rather than a contest over who's the fastest at naming a ship.

I might be a hypocrite but in my defense I am a multishipping disaster who will ship Wallace with almost any other adult
The list, as I understand it, was originally created about 20 years ago at roughly the same time as the Bulbagarden Forums themselves. And as I understand it, when the list was created, the Pokemon shipping landscape was very fragmented (not terribly unlike how it is today), and the list was designed to facilitate standardization for pairing names that were otherwise all over the place (for example, the list and untouchables include 7 names for Ash & Misty in addition to AndrewsShipping; by comparison, Ash & Dawn, named when the list was already well-established, only has PearlShipping and ShaunaShipping because of a bizarre precedent). This is an approach that worked very well until early 2017, when the old list manager mysteriously stopped updating and a large number of named submitted on Tumblr were lost. This coincided with the decline of BMGf's and SPPf's roles and influence in Pokemon shipping, and the decline of Pokemon shipping post-XY in general.

All of that background is a long-winded way to say that the list was very effectively managed using a "one ship, one name" approach for roughly 13 years when Bulbagarden had substantial influence in shipping and adding duplicates to the main list, rather than the untouchables, was very rare practice in that period encompassing generations 4 through 7, though not unprecedented. That's something I've already been much more lenient on than my predecessors were, for better or worse.

To answer your question literally, it's unlikely that the list could document every single name used for a pairing. Ash & Serena (XY) alone had at least 28 different names, according to a post I wrote in 2017 on the early history of the pairing. Both logistically and in terms of the mission, that level of volume would make the Incomplete Nightmare far more incomplete and far more nightmare. To simply add names as we notice them, however, and cast submission rules about duplicated, filing, and conflicts aside would be possible, but a very messy and possibly irreversible process, and not one I'm certain should be undertaken. You're absolutely right that creating a ton of names for a ship confuses shipping communities, and that's what the "one ship, one name" approach and the list in general was intended to prevent. One of the big issues today is that these communities often aren't united groups, but small pockets that often develop relatively independently from each other. This is exacerbated by the convention on AO3, one of the largest unifying sites of this era, to tag pairings by <character>/<character> rather than a pairing name. Their system is efficient for their site, but does little to unify people around a specific name the way that the search function on FF.net or forums did in the past. As a result, while there are 26 pages for "Gou | Goh/Satoshi | Ash Ketchum" on AO3 right now, I count at least half a dozen tagged <blank>Shipping names for the pairing and while FirstFriendShipping is still the largest one, it has fewer than 2 pages of content.

All of this is to say that there's really a catch-22 that didn't exist when Bulbagarden had more influence in the shipping communities: Adding only one name (especially the "wrong" name) risks making the list irrelevant, but adding multiple names risks making the list more confusing. This wasn't the case years ago when a name could be boosted by mere virtue of being on the list.

Truth be told, though I've been resisting it for transparency reasons, I am considering a return to Tumblr under a new URL. I think one of the biggest issues with the list today is lack of visibility and awareness, especially considering the bulk of submissions were through Tumblr in 2016. BMGf simply has more hurdles to submission (account creation, making an entire post under a specific name, etc) that Tumblr didn't, and Tumblr users may very well be more likely to share a Tumblr-hosted copy of the list rather than one on the forums here. Getting the site back would be awesome as well, but I don't know of any way to do that.

Truth be told, though I've been resisting it for transparency reasons, I am considering a return to Tumblr under a new URL. I think one of the biggest issues with the list today is lack of visibility and awareness, especially considering the bulk of submissions were through Tumblr in 2016. BMGf simply has more hurdles to submission (account creation, making an entire post under a specific name, etc) that Tumblr didn't, and Tumblr users may very well be more likely to share a Tumblr-hosted copy of the list rather than one on the forums here. Getting the site back would be awesome as well, but I don't know of any way to do that.
I think returning to Tumblr would definitely help bridge the gap, even if it meant making a new blog. Fwiw Bulbagarden also has a Tumblr, and we could easily reblog the Tumblr reboot to further bridge the gap.

@Manqoba Out of curiosity, who was responsible for maintaining the list between Luna and yourself? I was the Shippers' Paradise section head for a few years after Luna stepped down but I never had anything to do with the list, and I always wondered who was in charge before you took over.

I think returning to Tumblr would definitely help bridge the gap, even if it meant making a new blog. Fwiw Bulbagarden also has a Tumblr, and we could easily reblog the Tumblr reboot to further bridge the gap.
It'll definitely mean making a new blog since we don't have access to the old one anymore. Getting boosted by the Bulbagarden Tumblr would help a lot!

I should ask, is there any way we can get access to the shipping.bulbagarden.net site again to update the list?

@Manqoba Out of curiosity, who was responsible for maintaining the list between Luna and yourself? I was the Shippers' Paradise section head for a few years after Luna stepped down but I never had anything to do with the list, and I always wondered who was in charge before you took over.
Someone named esm8m managed the list between early gen 6 and gen 7. I think they took it over directly from Luna Tiger.

Annie and Oakley are underrated, and I decided to name some ships involving these two. So far, it's just Archer and Proton since I do mainly ship Annie with Archer, and Proton with Oakley.

AnikShipping - Archer & Annie
OmīdShipping - Archer & Oakley
ApacheShipping - Proton & Annie
OtomatShipping - Proton & Oakley

here to offer some volozero which somehow hasn't gotten anything yet though i've seen various art of the two of them together
ReverseSurfaceShipping - Volo & Zero

Not sure if this was pointed out yet, but Lillie/Marnie and Bede/Marnie are both listed under PastelGothShipping
PastelGothShipping - Lillie & Marnie
PastelGothShipping - Bede & Marnie
From the tags use on tumblr the name has only been used for Bede/Marnie, though I'm not sure how it is on twitter. Personally don't think I've seen ship art for Lillie/Marnie yet though!

Not sure if this was pointed out yet, but Lillie/Marnie and Bede/Marnie are both listed under PastelGothShipping

From the tags use on tumblr the name has only been used for Bede/Marnie, though I'm not sure how it is on twitter. Personally don't think I've seen ship art for Lillie/Marnie yet though!
This is a known duplicate and something I addressed when I added it. I'll quote:
The audit of December 6 submissions and some related research was completed, and the following names are being added:

ApplinShipping - Milo & Raihan
HotTopicShipping - Gladion & Marnie
IcyHotShipping - Kabu & Malony
PastelGothShipping - Bede & Marnie
RootShipping - Allister & Bede
SpookyFlipperShipping - Allister & Gloria
StoneGardenShipping - Gordie & Milo

In all cases, either the name, pairing, or both conflict with something already on the list. These names were complied from lists in the wild and the added names have real-world usage. While we try to operate by the one pairing, one name principle as much as possible, in some of these cases, this simply was not possible. These pairings were added without the old listing being removed; this decision may be subject to change but few pairings are affected regardless. None of this ideal and ideally we would want to get it right the first time, but sometimes these things are just inevitable.
The old names were mostly kept because their submissions were proper at the time (and some were quite old), though in retrospect, some of the December 2019 names preempted their own communities as PastelGothShipping did for Lillie & Marnie. There is actually quite a bit of fanart for Lillie & Marnie, and it looks like the most popular name is NiteLiteShipping from what I can tell. I'll probably change the name over in the next update.

InjunctionShipping - Zero & Jupiter
NoMartiansShipping - Zero & Mars

Just some Zero love. Zero/Cyrus and Zero/Saturn have ship names, but there are no ship names for Zero/Jupiter and Zero/Mars. Let that sink in!

Saw someone on tumblr coin gardenia & kris as NewEternityShipping and since, as far as I've seen, the names unused and the ship doesn't have any other names in use I thought it'd be worth mentioning

Would it be too soon to coin a ship name for Helena & Naomi from pkmn masters? Helena was only added yesterday I believe, but was known abt since the start of the month, but also masters pairings are very rare and ever rarer to get names. Plus these two don't actually interact, and they're just trainer classes from other games as opposed to unique designs so much less likely for ppl to care abt anyway.
I don't want to be hasty, but I kinda doubt they'll ever get any sort of community or following, so idk. I've never named pairings w newer characters so I'm not sure what's the appropriate way to go abt this

I ask this now instead of waiting bc I've already drawn them, and I'm wondering if I should come up w my own ship name or just leave it unnamed for now. Input would be appreciated

Would it be too soon to coin a ship name for Helena & Naomi from pkmn masters? Helena was only added yesterday I believe, but was known abt since the start of the month, but also masters pairings are very rare and ever rarer to get names. Plus these two don't actually interact, and they're just trainer classes from other games as opposed to unique designs so much less likely for ppl to care abt anyway.
I don't want to be hasty, but I kinda doubt they'll ever get any sort of community or following, so idk. I've never named pairings w newer characters so I'm not sure what's the appropriate way to go abt this

I ask this now instead of waiting bc I've already drawn them, and I'm wondering if I should come up w my own ship name or just leave it unnamed for now. Input would be appreciated
To offer my two cents: From what I've seen, there's been at least one or two other people on Discord shipping the two, and hey, if you think they're cute, why not give them a name? Launch your ship, you sailor you.

I decided I would make a name for helena & naomi instead of waiting, mostly bc I wanted to post some art I'd done and I like tagging the ship names when I do, but if it ends up getting a different more popular name I'm not that fussed and am totally fine to switch over to that.

Anyway, I went with:
SupernaturalSightseeingShipping - Helena (Masters) & Naomi (Masters)

Though of course, I understand if it's too soon for it to be accepted to the list. I mostly wanted a name now for my sake!

I decided I would make a name for helena & naomi instead of waiting, mostly bc I wanted to post some art I'd done and I like tagging the ship names when I do, but if it ends up getting a different more popular name I'm not that fussed and am totally fine to switch over to that.

Anyway, I went with:
SupernaturalSightseeingShipping - Helena (Masters) & Naomi (Masters)

Though of course, I understand if it's too soon for it to be accepted to the list. I mostly wanted a name now for my sake!
So for you and everyone else who might wonder this, you can absolutely create and start using a name for a new pairing you enjoy! There's no guarantee your name will be the one added to the list if there's any type of conflict (it'd be handled like any other case where I'll look at the relative popularity of different names for a pairing), but if the name you choose catches on (or if you're the only person really shipping the pairing lol) we can definitely add it!

Back
Top Bottom