• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Confirmed Moves/Abilities/Distribution Discussion

Bummer, isn't it? It's like cacophony in gen III.

Cacophony was a unused ability and Generation III games didn't have the code to give any ability to any Pokémon as it's the case with Generation IV and V, very different from moves because they can be handed to any Pokémon regardless of their features, types, etc. Moreover, Generation V is just beginning and we don't know exactly how many games it will have.

I was actually asking you why he deserved it if he's not useful enough, not why he likes it, because we all know why he likes it (boosting Leaf Storms are awfully awesome), but I wanted to know if he really needs/deserves it.

Yes Sceptile deserves it. People usually use Venusaur over him in UU, while he's almost unusable in OU, because too many types resist grass, and Sceptile has the worst special movepool (didn't get anything usefull in B/W either).

It'd be nice to have a good non-legendary grass pokémon for once. (yes I know Breloom is good too).

It'd be nice to have a good non-legendary grass pokémon for once. (yes I know Breloom is good too).

That's not going to happen until GameFreak totally redoes the broken type effectiveness chart. Ditto for Poison and Ice-types.

Looks like a pretty annoying move. Especially since basically every Pokemon learns it.

I dislike TMs sometimes.

Are Choice Items confirmed to be in this Gen? Given how you can't transfer items and Game Freaks obvious desire to change up the metagame for this Gen, the over use of Choice Items in Gen 4 could lead to their exclusion this time around

By god, you're right...

But you must understand, Aekeosu has the second highest base stat total of any non-legendary, second only to Slaking, who also has a hindering ability. So being second to any non-legendary gives it the right to have an ability that would do that.

But hey, on the bright side, it has great Speed and an absurd Attack stat. So just beat the hell out of anything before they can reduce its HP to below half. :3

this makes me wonder, if Aekeosu is healed to above half health, does the initial ability trigger still stay activated, or does it only go on as long as its health is below half?

So, Shell Break increases Attack, SpA, Speed by TWO and decreases def and SpD by only one? If this is true, this move is going to create some monsters. Now I want our new fossil turtle NOW more than ever.

After learning the effects of both Herbivore and Justice Heart, which for the former, renders the Pokemon immune to any Grass move, and for the latter, renders Pokemon immune to Dark move, I thought it was good that Dark moves have some immunity (not that it needs it), but when I read how it really works...I was not very happy.

If you don't know the real effects in the game, here's how it really works:
* Herbivore renders any Grass move, whether it be attacking and non-attacking (like Spore and Leech Seed), useless, and grants the target with a free attack boost.
* Justice Heart still hits the target, but the Attack increase is still intact.

So, I decided to see the Pokemon that leans it and see if it's really fair. Who learns it?
- Zebraika line
- Baffuron
- Azumarill line
- Girafarig
- Stantler
- Miltank
- Mebukijika line

Mebukijika, Zebraika, Girafarig and Stantler are the more offensive users, while Miltank and Baffuron are the more tank-ish users, and Azumarill is a more "wall-esque" user (unless he has Huge Power). Girafarig and Stantler are not too useful in competitive battling, and Stantler might as well be using Intimidate anyway, so they are ruled out. Azumarill would rather have Huge Power since this will make him/her a powerful force. Miltank would rather have two of her other abilities, which would be more useful on her, as Fire and Ice are common attacking types and the ability to hit Ghosts is a plus. The tricky ones are the Zebraika line, Mebukijika line and Baffuron. I can see Mebukijika preferring Chlorophyll (and possibly Serene Grace), as he/she resists Grass moves already. Zebraika's most preferred stat to boost is Attack, which Herbivore does, and the zebra already resists Electric anyway (although absorbing Thunder Wave is a plus). Baffuron would rather be boosting his Wild Bolt and Afro Break than trying to get a boost, so I am inclined to say he/she prefers being reckless.

The ability is put on Pokemon I don't foresee being regulars, and Grass moves are very likely uncommon, so Herbivore is probably less likely to be had in competitive battling.

All I can say about this ability is that it's not fair that Dark moves get to get away from immunity, and this one has to undergo the immunity rather than hitting the Pokemon and raising the stats at the same time. I actually wonder why GameFreak decides it's a good idea to have an ability that renders any Grass move ineffective, as Grass types generally already have insufficient type coverage. Unless the ability or type chart is fixed in a later instalment, this is a poor decision on their part.

At least Herbivore is a Flash Fire-esque attempt at creating an ability with a cool name that perfectly makes sense for the Pokémon that get it (for example, all but Zebraika and Azumarill are creatures inspired on ruminants), even if it doesn't have that much of a utility in competitive terms.

However, the title for the lamest ability should go to Stall (no redeeming features or even an overworld effect like Illuminate), which I hoped Game Freak would improve in this generation; it seems that Sableye is still outclassed by Spiritomb in every way and I can't believe Chandela can have Shadow Tag as a Dream World ability instead of the jewel-eyes Ghost/Dark Pokémon...

Last edited:
However, the title for the lamest ability should go to Stall (no redeeming features or even an overworld effect like Illuminate), which I hoped Game Freak would improve in this generation; it seems that Sableye is still outclassed by Spiritomb in every way and I can't believe Chandela can have Shadow Tag as a Dream World ability instead of the jewel-eyes Ghost/Dark Pokémon...

Sableye does get the awesome Mischievous Heart ability, which gives priority to moves that has no attack power. Therefore, Taunts and Will-O-Wisps coming from Sableye will go first, and because he's a Ghost, that makes it even better, because he's immune to Normal and Fighting priority moves, which is always plus.

Sableye does get the awesome Mischievous Heart ability, which gives priority to moves that has no attack power. Therefore, Taunts and Will-O-Wisps coming from Sableye will go first, and because he's a Ghost, that makes it even better, because he's immune to Normal and Fighting priority moves, which is always plus.

Mischievous Heart isn't as impressive as it sounds: the only things that are worthtwhile mentioning are Taunt before an opponent can make its own to prevent further disruption or Will-o-Wisp against physical sweepers. Overall, with its lackluster speed it can't even outspeed and burn first some users of priority moves like Scizor or Mamoswine. Mischievous Heart would be more fun and useful if at least give +3 priority to status moves to outspeed Protect, Detect, the new multi guard moves, etc.

On the other hand, Sableye will be a little more awesome for setting up Rain Dance or Sunny Day in Doubles/Triples being immune to Fake Out (barring Scrappy or other situations) and with a +1 with them but overall it's pretty mediocre at best. With pitiful defenses, recovering health (Recover, Moonlight) before a non-priority move is always good but not so much when doing Mean Look.

Not sure if this is still the right place, but I might as well say it. It's too bad Pikachu didn't get Volt Absorb. I mean even with the power-up scenes in the anime...(even though he WAS struck my lightning)

(hope I don't get in trouble for reviving a thread again)

Lightningrod seems alot better (the ability is different from what it was in Gens 3 and 4--it now also raises Sp. Atk.)Your bump is fine, this thread isn't outdated.

Lightningrod seems alot better (the ability is different from what it was in Gens 3 and 4--it now also raises Sp. Atk.)Your bump is fine, this thread isn't outdated.

Wow, thanks! I didn't realize that. Guess it IS a good thing then.
Btw, is there a category on Bulbapedia that has Move/Ability changes on it?

Back
Top Bottom