• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

No more Caps-Locked Names?

Since they don't have a nickname, the Pokemon will probably revert to th default naming convention of BW. Just like when you trade a Pokemon from a foreign language game; despite the fact its name is in a different language the game recognises it isn't a nickname and changes it back to English when it evolves.

Thank GOD!! I was going to go crazy if the all caps remained even if I didn't nickname my Pokémon! :banghead:

Yeah, i hated it when the games all just like "A ZUBAT appeared!" as if it was a good thing.

I'm glad they're getting rid of the all-caps names. I've always found it annoying.

Since they don't have a nickname, the Pokemon will probably revert to th default naming convention of BW. Just like when you trade a Pokemon from a foreign language game; despite the fact its name is in a different language the game recognises it isn't a nickname and changes it back to English when it evolves.

In that case, it will only affect the nicknames of migrated Pokémon that are evolved once they are on the BW cart, but not at the moment you transferred them from a Generation IV game.

I've always wondered why they were all in caps though anyways. This makes more sense..... To me, at least.

I didn't like the caps-locked names. I hated the trainer names in Generation III: ''Youngster JOEY want to battle!''

I prefer the new way. It looks natural and smooth now.

I would always nickname the pokemon their own name in lowercase letters anyway so it doesn't matter to me. STARLY would be nicknamed Starly xD

I hated the CAPSLOCKS!

They might as well have said-WOOPER USED JDJSFJSJFKDO!

I love the change.

this change is great, the all caps always annoyed me, but i am really worried about my milotic thats stuck in all caps in gen iv, will it change sinnce it can't evolve?

I never really care or notice that there wasnt capital letters in B/W, but i did like capitalization in gen 1 it still looks cool

The lack of caps-lock is actually really great. I definitely approve! The only thing I'm concerned about is transferring Pokemon from platinum to B/W. I know nicknamed Pokemon will keep their names, but does anyone know if un-nicknamed Pokemon will change to lowercase or stay in uppercase? For example, I have a Togekiss in Platinum which I didn't nickname, instead it's called TOGEKISS. Will it still be TOGEKISS in B/W, or will it realize it's not a nickname and change to Togekiss?

"Emboar used Flare Blitz" just flows better then "EMBOAR used Flare Blitz" in my opinion. It's just awkward looking at all caps names. Life isn't in all caps. Plus it seems like it's screaming the Pokemon's name.

For once, I will no longer have to cringe when I see an unnicknamed Pokémon attacking - there goes the allcaps Pokémon species names! I think I'm going to like it.

I honestly like how everything has proper caps like this. Even Pokemon generated from the 4th Gen games seem to be effected by this as shown in this scan from GameStop (Warning it's huge!!):
random_pokemon_event_scan_by_bowser_the_king-d38mz9q.jpg
Raikou's name has proper caps, despite the 4th Gen games having the event Pokemon's name as RAIKOU like most other events. So basically, all names has proper caps no matter what, unless of course it's nicknamed to have full caps.

this change is great, the all caps always annoyed me, but i am really worried about my milotic thats stuck in all caps in gen iv, will it change sinnce it can't evolve?

Unless you nicknamed it, it will change.

Well, the caps for Pokemon was also used for 1st and 2nd gen Pokemon games where all Pokemon were in caps. Wait! Did they also have it for 3rd gen? If yes or no, I can probably prove they did or didn't with Pokemon Colosseum or Ruby and Sapphire. I see that PBR also has no Pokemon in all caps so this has been going on for a while. It's not like no one noticed.

Well, the caps for Pokemon was also used for 1st and 2nd gen Pokemon games where all Pokemon were in caps. Wait! Did they also have it for 3rd gen? If yes or no, I can probably prove they did or didn't with Pokemon Colosseum or Ruby and Sapphire. I see that PBR also has no Pokemon in all caps so this has been going on for a while. It's not like no one noticed.

The 3rd Gen had identical caps as the first 2 gens. The 4th Gen had only Pokemon names with such caps, and the 5th Gen no longer has Pokemon names with caps like that.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom