• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokédex apps pulled from market: The Pokémon Company makes copyright claim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hm, I'm not sure why they'd actually want to do this. The app creators aren't profiting (if it's free) and if anything, The Pokemon Company profits, it raises awareness for the games, anime, franchise, which is what games and anime fall under. Unless they're planning to release an app of their own, it doesn't make much sense.

This is stupid. It's not like they offer any real Pokedex. Nothing that offers movelists, stat numbers, capture rates, and all that stuff. These apps should NOT be removed.

The Pokemon Company.....every time they do something like this...it distroys their rep as they go from kid friendly company to a gready big busness company.......at least im not geting mad like last time over this...yea, i know, they like showing their rights but is'nt this "taken it too far?"...here's the way i put it:Why even bother attacking the guy who trying to help your reputation?....must be greed.......oh! and to help suport my case on why they are greedy....

Gligar13:"PPN - 2007

PokeSafari (or some spanish site) - 2008

2010- Victinigate (WPM + Camera in theater = Drama and nerd rage) and Serebii + Pokebeach

I hope this doesn't turn into another "NINTENDO HATES US" dramafest."

.......WOW!!! i did not know that Nintendo and The Pokemon Company were part of the FBI........why was i going to get the 3DS agein....oh! yea that right...so my house can be raided.......must be greed.....

Last edited:
2010- Victinigate (WPM + Camera in theater = Drama and nerd rage) and Serebii + Pokebeach

Not to beat a dead horse, but the WPM incident was actually against the law. The bad part is how the fandom condemns him for it when they didn't seem to care up until he got caught, and the cease and desist for revealing the Pokemon early was due to a breach of ethics on one of the journalists from an actual Nintendo magazine (if I'm remembering right) and was damage control. Note that they could have asked the site to close itself down, but instead just asked to remove those images.

I hope this doesn't turn into another "NINTENDO HATES US" dramafest."

.......WOW!!! i did not know that Nintendo and The Pokemon Company were part of the FBI........why was i going to get the 3DS agein....oh! yea that right...so my house can be raided.......must be greed.....

Notice how your comments are the ones blowing everything out of proportion >_>

Not to beat a dead horse, but the WPM incident was actually against the law. The bad part is how the fandom condemns him for it when they didn't seem to care up until he got caught, and the cease and desist for revealing the Pokemon early was due to a breach of ethics on one of the journalists from an actual Nintendo magazine (if I'm remembering right)

As I recall, most of the fandom supported WPM. Bulbanews said they condemned him, and that caused a sh*tstorm of Bulbanews hatred. Although in retrospect, I'm sure they only said that to avoid legal action from Nintendo/GameFreak.

Pokémon 3 the movie The Spell of Unown has also been pulled from iTunes in the UK. In North America is this movie and Pokemon 2000: The Power of One still on iTunes?
I don't use iTunes, but I've been told that got pulled before movie 3 did.

God dammit, I hate copyright so much.

This is sad on so many levels. There isn't any reason for them to do this, they're only frustrating their own fans. If they even put half as much effort into their own pokedex apps (or even their own on site pokedex, as useful as a chocolate fireguard) I'd be so much more behind them but the only reason for this seems to be spite, almost them saying "we're not going to provide you with an extremely useful and innovative pokedex app but we didn't say you could either".

TPC need to get their act together. Soon.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the WPM incident was actually against the law.

That doesn't make anything necessarily wrong, even Victinigate.

God dammit, I hate copyright so much.

This is sad on so many levels. There isn't any reason for them to do this, they're only frustrating their own fans. If they even put half as much effort into their own pokedex apps (or even their own on site pokedex, as useful as a chocolate fireguard) I'd be so much more behind them but the only reason for this seems to be spite, almost them saying "we're not going to provide you with an extremely useful and innovative pokedex app but we didn't say you could either".

TPC need to get their act together. Soon.
Green Zubat, there most certainly are reasons for them to do this. Though I've yet to hear back from anyone at TPCI, I expect the issues involve the terms & conditions of the Android and iTunes markets that the people uploading those apps agree to. Specifically, those developers would be claiming copyright over the apps that they upload and their contents. If TPCI didn't "defend" themselves from this "claim on their copyrighted properties", then legally they could be judged as having abandoned their copyrights, which would have some fairly massive implications. The fact that the apps are paid or free is entirely irrelevant.

That doesn't make anything necessarily wrong, even Victinigate.
In this instance, it most certainly was. There may be times and places where breaking the law is justified, almost all of which would have to do with the needs of the greater good, or of rebellion against a corrupt government (eg. all the Middle Eastern peoples who have come out in rebellion were breaking the law, but none would claim that's not justified). Breaking the law for personal gain however, is rarely if ever justifiable. WPM's cases over the past year certainly fall into the unjustifiable category. For someone who says he's a fan of the franchise, he certainly has made an effort in the past to intentionally antagonize its owners.

maybe because he was also taking donations for it? like many others.

"Donate PokeDroid" allowed for shiny skins of the Pokemon to be downloaded as a bonus for donating and was removed however PokeDroid (the original) and PokeDroid Extra were not donation services and yet, even when the distinction was made, TPC states it is still in violation per Nolan's blog: Read the Tea Leaves.

----
Save PokeDroid! http://www.change.org/petitions/keep-pokedroid-and-other-applications-like-it-2

Now that I read his blog, it really does seem like the Serebii/WPM drama, where TPCi went against fansites before giving up. It has the hastly thrown letter, all the apps in one C&D, and it took a while to call and reach them.

In other words, it seems like the fans of it are protesting on the offical pokedroid page. I don't think they will get anywhere, though, judging by the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom