• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Legends Z-A Pokemon Legends Z-A General Speculation & Discussion

1709544015317.png
Aight screw it, the well of things to talk about has run pretty dry by now so post your current team plans if you have any. Of course they're gonna get messed up by new additions, but let's pretend these are for a "worst case scenario" where somehow no new Pokemon/regional forms/Megas etc get added.

Chesnaught + Megazard Y is my classic duo from XY, gotta keep that. Mega Aggron is a cool beefy boy and Aromatisse is me taking advantage of the presumed curtailing of trade evos like PLA.

I've realized I genuinely don't remember what second starter I picked when I first played XY i've replayed it so many times. Ive used Delphox with all three and greninja with all three (I only used Chesnaught once)

Welll...

Depending on the mons available and what we know so far, my starter is gonna be Chesnaught (Have used it the least out of the three, with having used Greninja the most, so its time to give Chesnaught a fair chance). Chesnaught will be joined by Talonflame (I mean, its my favorite Kalos mon, so it should find a spot on my team). I also never used Heliolisk, so the time has finally come. For my fourth member, i am debating between Skrelp/Dragalge and Clauncher/Clawitzer, since i also never used them before.

probs gonna use Fennekin as my starter, assuming we get the Kalos trio. She's just the cutest. As for the rest of my team, i don't really plan that out.

I don't care who the Fire Starter of Legends Z-A is since I'm going to be catching a Fenniken regardless

Water and Grass really depend on who they are and what they look like.
yall are picking your starter before we even know what they are
Most people consider Snivy, Piplup and Scorbunny to be "locks" for some reason even though Gamefreak has completely caught us off guard before. (And people's predictions are almost never correct unless there was leaked info beforehand)

Even if those DO make sense as the starters and they're proven right, I still feel like many people are already jumping the gun too early

Regardless of which starters we get in the game, the Kalos lineup needs to have mega evolutions. It literally made no sense that they were left out in the original games. This is assuming of course that the game will have new mega evolutions for us to use, which I hope is the case considering the setting of the game.

Assuming they announced the return of megas so early, I'd be shocked if they didn't have new ones.

I'm admittedly a bit mixed on the concept of megas, but Interested to potentially see more modern mons and particularly some gen 6 ones get some (Mega Meowstic being a legit possibility is wild to think about ahaha)

Probably not with the player... Other characters however, I would say no but Indigo disc had a bunch of stuff going on with the... i forget what the club was called. So I wouldn't rule it out.
Can't forget about the Diamond Clan dude and the Pearl Clan lady with the Growlithes (forgot both of their names...) from Legends Arceus lol

Regardless of which starters we get in the game, the Kalos lineup needs to have mega evolutions. It literally made no sense that they were left out in the original games.
Although I can sorta understand why the Gen 6 Starters didnt get Megas in Gen 6.

Imo I think it's like this:

Basically, if you design a Pokemon at the same time as it's Mega, you risk sorta underdesigning the Pokemon for the sake of having that room to "Finish it" in the Mega.

Some (but not all) of the Galar Gigantamax forms definitely started to feel like this for me at least. It really shows with The Galar Starter Trio imo. Their base designs all feel very... incomplete because they had to make room for their G-Max's to stand out

I think something that people aren't thinking about enough though is like, the design process themselves. The same way certain pokemon like Flygon didnt get a Mega probably applies to a lot of 2 Stage lines that dont get third evolutions. The design is simply "Finished" already and has reached its logical conclusion.

(Originally Flygon was slated to recieve a Mega but the artist's literally had an artist's block trying to figure out how to make a Mega Flygon design look good.
That alone proves just how much of a Peak design Flygon is already and it's really hard to expand upon it)

Megas sorta try to go beyond that finished state by breaking some of the visual rules of pokemon a bit.

This is why Mega's are not interchangeable with standard Evolutions, or why Pokemon with only 1 or even 0 Evolutions that got a Mega probably were never going to get another evolution in the first place. (Like Mawile and Sableye for instance)

Since they'd just "finished" the Kalos Starters designs at the time, it probably would have been a bad idea to immediately try to expand upon them with Megas. (And looking at the reception towards Galar they probably made the right choice)

HOWEVER, NOW that the Kalos Starter design's have matured after 10 years, it makes a lot more sense to give them Megas now since they've had more than enough time to come up with something that can expand upon their designs

Can't forget about the Diamond Clan dude and the Pearl Clan lady with the Growlithes (forgot both of their names...) from Legends Arceus lol

Although I can sorta understand why the Gen 6 Starters didnt get Megas in Gen 6.

Imo I think it's like this:

Basically, if you design a Pokemon at the same time as it's Mega, you risk sorta underdesigning the Pokemon for the sake of having that room to "Finish it" in the Mega.

Some (but not all) of the Galar Gigantamax forms definitely started to feel like this for me at least. It really shows with The Galar Starter Trio imo. Their base designs all feel very... incomplete because they had to make room for their G-Max's to stand out

I think something that people aren't thinking about enough though is like, the design process themselves. The same way certain pokemon like Flygon didnt get a Mega probably applies to a lot of 2 Stage lines that dont get third evolutions. The design is simply "Finished" already and has reached its logical conclusion.

(Originally Flygon was slated to recieve a Mega but the artist's literally had an artist's block trying to figure out how to make a Mega Flygon design look good.
That alone proves just how much of a Peak design Flygon is already and it's really hard to expand upon it)

Megas sorta try to go beyond that finished state by breaking some of the visual rules of pokemon a bit.

This is why Mega's are not interchangeable with standard Evolutions, or why Pokemon with only 1 or even 0 Evolutions that got a Mega probably were never going to get another evolution in the first place. (Like Mawile and Sableye for instance)

Since they'd just "finished" the Kalos Starters designs at the time, it probably would have been a bad idea to immediately try to expand upon them with Megas. (And looking at the reception towards Galar they probably made the right choice)

HOWEVER, NOW that the Kalos Starter design's have matured after 10 years, it makes a lot more sense to give them Megas now since they've had more than enough time to come up with something that can expand upon their designs
Is that why we ain’t getting mega eeveelutions? I’ve seen people draw mega eeveelutions on yt, reckon they could make mega eevees

Assuming they announced the return of megas so early, I'd be shocked if they didn't have new ones.
Megas returning in a game set in the region that introduced them in the first place, for me at least, it would be wild if they reintroduced a fan favorite gameplay mechanic without expanding it in any form, but I kinda agree with people concerned for new Megas in the first place, mostly revolving around balance issues.

Still, imo, it would make little sense to reintroduce Mega Evolutions without expanding the current roster, but we can be surprised at any time! It would be a shame if Flygon gets screwed over again.

Fun anecdote I feel is relevant. When I first played Kalos, I used a Flygon on my team because I assumed it must have a mega. Flygon isn't even a Pokemon I'm a huge fan of otherwise, but it seemed perfect to get a mega and I figured that Mega Flygon must be epic. When I found out it didn't after beating the game I was really disappointed.

Fun anecdote I feel is relevant. When I first played Kalos, I used a Flygon on my team because I assumed it must have a mega. Flygon isn't even a Pokemon I'm a huge fan of otherwise, but it seemed perfect to get a mega and I figured that Mega Flygon must be epic. When I found out it didn't after beating the game I was really disappointed.
A mega Flygon would be EPIC. Personally, like I said earlier I’m hanging out for the mega eeveelutions, but a dam mega Flygon is just-

Just a random Idea I had.
People are expecting the A in the logo to refer to a new Pokemon yeah? And the A in the logo is ALSO remenecent of the Ultimate Weapon in a way.
So what if the A pokemon is ALSO connected to The Eternal Flower of AZ's floette. Because the flower is ALSO designed to look like the Ultimate Weapon when it opens to fire (Or rather the other way around in universe I assume)

Just a random Idea I had.
People are expecting the A in the logo to refer to a new Pokemon yeah? And the A in the logo is ALSO remenecent of the Ultimate Weapon in a way.
So what if the A pokemon is ALSO connected to The Eternal Flower of AZ's floette. Because the flower is ALSO designed to look like the Ultimate Weapon when it opens to fire (Or rather the other way around in universe I assume)
Ooooooooh yes!

I wonder what mechanics from Legends: Arceus will be carried over? Will we be able to sneak up on wild Pokémon and backstrike them to catch them off guard?

Back
Top Bottom