• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Remake Discussion (Read First Post!)

When would you like R/S/E Remakes

• Yes, this generation

Votes: 195 47.6%
  • No, I'd prefer them in Gen 6

Votes: 152 37.1%
  • No, wait till Gen 7

Votes: 16 3.9%
  • No, i dont want r/s/e remakes

Votes: 47 11.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
But the context is specifically advertising another region, so it seems that they're hinting at being able to go to another region. It doesn't specifically mention Hoenn, so that's not absolute proof, but Hoenn is the most likely candidate out of all known regions (it could, of course, also be a new region but I see that as less likely than an existing region). As for "you will see it soon", maybe you're half right and it's both, they could bring back Emerald's Battle Frontier in the RS remakes and then put the same Battle Frontier in Kalos in the next game.

No it isn't, you guys are all so conditioned into thinking every reference to another region is advertising or hints instead of random unrelated events that have their own meaning. The guy doesn't even specify which region he is from, the conversation seems to be more about the facility than the region. I suppose you could also interpret it as the XY protagonist somehow visiting Hoenn, but that doesn't seem all that likely.

You are so wrong. In DPPT there were tons of references to Johto Gold/Silver etc, and those games were made, now they are throwing in a bunch of references to Hoenn and Gen 3. They put these things in the games for a reason. They had Jasmine turn up in Sunnyshore telling us to get on over to Johto, and people dismissed it then, never heard the apology from the deniers when HGSS came out 3 years later but I'll forgive them anyway.

One of the common themes of recent games is globalisation, and references to other regions are a dime a dozen in games from recent gens. The thing is, everyone is so hyped that they interpret every reference as a predictor of a game being remade, and don't realise that references to other regions are actually a really poor predictor of a remake being made. More often than not, they simply convey how the Pokemon world is more interconnected than ever before, much the same way the players of our own world are.

I haven't seen these dime a dozen hints, for other games, would you mind just posting the screenshots of the people inviting us to Sinnoh or Unova, or perhaps talking about Diamonds and Pearls, and talking about the Great Marsh, haven't had a chance to see these yet.

Heck, the most reliable predictor that Hoenn remakes may be on the way is the fact that Pokemon has now moved to a new console since the last remake, while the Hoenn games remain popular. That alone carries far more weight than a few throwaway lines of dialogue ever could. If you want remakes (and I do), patience will serve you better than hint goggles.

Well I'll have to disagree with you on the comment in bold, but honestly how obvious do Nintendo have to make it before people take the hint, does an NPC actually have to say "Gamefreak will release remakes of Ruby and Sapphire in 2015" before it's accepted they could be hinting at a remake? I mean they are called hints for a reason, they don't outright say it, but they lead you on it. The hints for Gold and Silver remakes were quite obvious, people still denied them, I now feel from what we've seen so far they are going even further, even mentioning the games by name, but still people are burying their heads saying its all lies they mean nothing.

Last edited:
I was born in 1999, so I lived during Red & Blue's prime, but before Gold & Silver. I never really played them at that age (although I do remember having an experience of some kind with Yellow). I started playing my own game with Sapphire, but failed miserably and gave up. Tried again with FireRed, and gave up. Gave up on Pearl, SoulSilver...but then there was Black & White. The reason I'm here today and the only Pokemon game I've fully completed. I stopped playing Black and White 2 because X and Y got announced and compared to early gameplay footage I was just too excited for this so I shoved aside White 2. Now with X and Y, and a whole new array of Poke--wait...what was this thread about again?

@Genwunner; Heh, if Gen III fans or simply those who enjoyed it listened to the words of naysayers for all the crap put up with over the years they would've long ago been done with this franchise or at most avoid Pokemon discuss topics like the plague. Gen III fans are a hard-knock bunch.

In any case though, these shown text simply make me smile that they're actually remembering Hoenn EXISTS. In fact, can we just get more images of the Hoenn shilling (I'm serious here, I wanna see more) and wait and see what happens in the future?

All predetermined patterns were thrown out the window with Gen V (sequels, no remakes) but I'm not doubting we'll see Hoenn in some form this generation.

It's too early to see Kanto, Johto, Sinnoh or Unova again and the 3DS has too long a life ahead of it to think Nintendo and GameFreak won't pad out the generation with at least a couple other mainsteam Pokemon games. Alongside the third Kalos game, be it Z, X2/Y2 or something else, I'd bet we'd get a Hoenn-centric game. All the references to Hoenn we've seen so far don't prove anything but at the very least are curious, and the "other half" of Gen III, Kanto, is getting more than its fair share of representation (albeit in a different form) in XY and Kalos.

That's my take on it, anyway. Hoenn is finally old enough to be new again.

(holy bejeezus, this thread is still alive. Love it <3)

No it isn't, you guys are all so conditioned into thinking every reference to another region is advertising or hints instead of random unrelated events that have their own meaning. The guy doesn't even specify which region he is from, the conversation seems to be more about the facility than the region. I suppose you could also interpret it as the XY protagonist somehow visiting Hoenn, but that doesn't seem all that likely.

One of the common themes of recent games is globalisation, and references to other regions are a dime a dozen in games from recent gens. The thing is, everyone is so hyped that they interpret every reference as a predictor of a game being remade, and don't realise that references to other regions are actually a really poor predictor of a remake being made. More often than not, they simply convey how the Pokemon world is more interconnected than ever before, much the same way the players of our own world are.

Heck, the most reliable predictor that Hoenn remakes may be on the way is the fact that Pokemon has now moved to a new console since the last remake, while the Hoenn games remain popular. That alone carries far more weight than a few throwaway lines of dialogue ever could. If you want remakes (and I do), patience will serve you better than hint goggles.

There's a difference here, many of the hints are a simple acknowledgement of the region's existence, but in this one, the NPC is actively inviting us to come visit his region. Since we cannot go to another region in the game, it's most obviously an advertisement for a separate game. Of course, we don't know that this is a Hoenn reference, it could be any other region, but given the circumstances, what other region do you think they could be referring to? Kanto, Johto, Sinnoh, and Unova have all been in fairly recent games, so Hoenn stands as the most likely.

We need solid proof, like the Rocket grunt in DPPt that was in GSC.

First I've heard of that. I don't remember any Rocket grunt appear in any other region aside from the grunt who moved to Icirrus City in BW1.

The foreign Rocket Grunt was in Black and White, which came out after HGSS.

There's a difference here, many of the hints are a simple acknowledgement of the region's existence, but in this one, the NPC is actively inviting us to come visit his region. Since we cannot go to another region in the game, it's most obviously an advertisement for a separate game. Of course, we don't know that this is a Hoenn reference, it could be any other region, but given the circumstances, what other region do you think they could be referring to? Kanto, Johto, Sinnoh, and Unova have all been in fairly recent games, so Hoenn stands as the most likely.

First I've heard of that. I don't remember any Rocket grunt appear in any other region aside from the grunt who moved to Icirrus City in BW1.

Okay okay, I got things mixed up. I thought the Rocket grunt was in DPPt when in reality he was in BW.

List of cross-generational references - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Here's a total list of cross-generation references according to bulbapedia. They have pretty much a lot of things listed in there, and everything could have been hints about remakes and such.

In other words, while I am indeed hyped for Hoenn references, it's still not enough proof since it's similar to those cross-generation references

RSE and Hoenn are some of my least favorite entries in the main games. But I'd be shocked if we don't see a RSE remake in the next year or two. First off, there are way too many references to Hoenn/RSE in XY. These are references beyond a random NPC mentioning that they're from Hoenn or making a vague reference to the events that took place there. The mentions are frequent, and somewhat explicit.

Secondly, there's a "new" system, with a jump in engine capabilities. FRLG came after a new generation debuted on the GBA. HGSS was available after a new gen. on the DS. There wasn't much point in releasing another set of remakes on an old system, when a newer one was starting to hit shelves. Now that all Pokemon (presumably, with the launch of Bank) have new 3D models and animations, and a new gen has been released on the latest system, they can release another set of remakes.

Of course, GF/Nintendo can do whatever they like. And they've shown that they're willing to break with tradition since the announcement of sequels instead of a third version in Gen V. But I think it's highly unlikely that they'll break with tradition when they know they have an easy moneymaker on their hands.

I love how everyone is pretending to know how many Hoenn references there are in XY compared to other regions. The leakers are just focusing on a few references because they know that fans (or at least a vocal subset thereof) want to know about them. Wait to play the actual games before you make an assessment of how much these references stand out.

I love how everyone is pretending to know how many Hoenn references there are in XY compared to other regions. The leakers are just focusing on a few references because they know that fans (or at least a vocal subset thereof) want to know about them. Wait to play the actual games before you make an assessment of how much these references stand out.

Trust me; nothing would make me giggle more sadistically than GF announcing another set of Kanto remakes (except maybe a Unova revisit) before RSE getting the remake treatment. I just feel that there are too many reasons to not assume that Hoenn is at least being considered for a remake. I'm not just referring to second-hand info from leakers; GF may break patterns (and honestly, there have been "pattern-breakers" for years); but when it comes to capitalizing on Pokemon players buying rehashes of things they've played before, they have a lock on it.

We already know about Rocket, Magma and Aqua grunts in Icirrus, but has anyone considered this? BW1 is generally themed about past - Team Plasma is designed as knights, living in castle, while BW2 is more themed about future - Team Plasma looks modern and has futuristic base at flying ship.
What I mean is if we learned in past themed BW1 about Rocket grunt who appeared in previous generation in HGSS, could that mean in future themed BW2 we learned about Aqua and Magma grunts who will appear in future generation in remake? There's also GF's sound designer with them in Icirrus, so that could also hint to Aqua and Magma future appearance.

We already know about Rocket, Magma and Aqua grunts in Icirrus, but has anyone considered this? BW1 is generally themed about past - Team Plasma is designed as knights, living in castle, while BW2 is more themed about future - Team Plasma looks modern and has futuristic base at flying ship.
What I mean is if we learned in past themed BW1 about Rocket grunt who appeared in previous generation in HGSS, could that mean in future themed BW2 we learned about Aqua and Magma grunts who will appear in future generation in remake? There's also GF's sound designer with them in Icirrus, so that could also hint to Aqua and Magma future appearance.

Past/future isn't really a theme of BW1 and BW2. If anything, Black and Black 2 are future themed and White and White 2 are past themed. At any rate, the appearance of the Rocket and Magma/Aqua grunts has nothing to do with this, they're just minor shout outs.

Yeah those are called GSC >_>

How about a BW2 style RB sequel, one that only takes place in Kanto, improves on the regional design instead of detracting from it, adds new Pokemon to the Kanto Dex to give it an acceptable variety of Pokemon, and has an actual story and not something in the vein of "Team Rocket is taking over the world for no reason" like RBYFRLG and GSCHGSS's stories were?

A sequel is supposed to continue a story....it sounds like you simply want a new game set in Kanto. The Team Rocket story has been laid to rest (unlike Kanto). I can't see a "Kanto sequel" so much as another game set in Kanto for absolutely no reason other than to have a game set in Kanto.

And its not like we were ever given a reason as to why Ghetsis wanted to take over Unova, and from the sounds of it, there isn't a real reason behind Team Flare's wanting to take over the world either. The only person with a reason was Cyrus. (I guess Archie and Maxie count too but they just failed science class).

Last edited:
I want a game that features the GS ball

Ahem...
I would like a remake of RS after the third obligatory game of the third Legendary in XY. It just seems right that a RS remake will come and it was a game that I have fond memories of during High School. And I think another remake of the Kanto region will be pushing it... due to the fact that RS hasn't had a remake. Plus 3D remake of Hoenn will be awesome... it'll be like playing WW because almost half the region is over the ocean.

Plus RS introduced probably my second and third favorite character in the Pokemon Special Manga.

Yeah those are called GSC >_>

How about a BW2 style RB sequel, one that only takes place in Kanto, improves on the regional design instead of detracting from it, adds new Pokemon to the Kanto Dex to give it an acceptable variety of Pokemon, and has an actual story and not something in the vein of "Team Rocket is taking over the world for no reason" like RBYFRLG and GSCHGSS's stories were?

One that is released during the same generation as the originals, so that it is limited to only having the same Pokémon, the same game mechanics and the same aesthetics, instead of one that is set in a new generation so that it boosts two regions (not updated, but actually debuting new mechanics), introduces new Pokémon (again, completely new monsters, not old Pokémon from older regions) and is built on a newer engine for a different console? No thanks, I prefer the GSC-style sequels over the B2W2-style sequels, hands down.

Regarding this line: "adds new Pokemon to the Kanto Dex to give it an acceptable variety of Pokemon". Well, GSC added 100 ENTIRELY NEW Pokémon, intead of rehashing old Pokémon for the upteenth time like B2W2 did.

As The Outrage said, a sequel continues a story, and GSC/HGSS indeed continued and expanded the Kanto story, so yes, it was a legitimate sequel. Just because it didn't have "2" on its name doesn't mean it's not a true sequel. Not to mention, the Kanto sequel is done, Team Rocket disbanded for good and Giovani finally surrendered, there's no reason for a third story, that would force the Team Rocket arc too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom