• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Remake Discussion (Read First Post!)

When would you like R/S/E Remakes

• Yes, this generation

Votes: 195 47.6%
  • No, I'd prefer them in Gen 6

Votes: 152 37.1%
  • No, wait till Gen 7

Votes: 16 3.9%
  • No, i dont want r/s/e remakes

Votes: 47 11.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A sequel is supposed to continue a story....it sounds like you simply want a new game set in Kanto. The Team Rocket story has been laid to rest (unlike Kanto). I can't see a "Kanto sequel" so much as another game set in Kanto for absolutely no reason other than to have a game set in Kanto.

Is it? There's a few lingering elements in the storyline that could be expanded upon. First of all, you don't know that all of Team Rocket was okay with Archer's decision to disband the team after his defeat, there's probably enough Rockets that would still want to (Arianna seems persistent enough to lead this group). Giovanni, if the PWT is anything to go by, has mysteriously returned to the Virdian Gym with no explanation given. Don't you think there's an interesting reason behind this? Also, a sequel could illustrate how the region and characters have changed more than a random Kanto game could.

And its not like we were ever given a reason as to why Ghetsis wanted to take over Unova, and from the sounds of it, there isn't a real reason behind Team Flare's wanting to take over the world either. The only person with a reason was Cyrus. (I guess Archie and Maxie count too but they just failed science class).

At the very least, they had threatening and more complex motives than Team Rocket, whose actions throughout Kanto and Johto were petty compared to Magma/Aqua trying to mess with Hoenn's environment, Galactic trying to distort the very fabric of reality, or Plasma trying to convince Unova to release their Pokemon or freeze over the entire world. The Rockets have done nothing to make themselves feel threatening by modern standards, all they've done is invade a couple of areas in the region and commit random crimes, that much needs to change.

One that is released during the same generation as the originals, so that it is limited to only having the same Pokémon, the same game mechanics and the same aesthetics, instead of one that is set in a new generation so that it boosts two regions (not updated, but actually debuting new mechanics), introduces new Pokémon (again, completely new monsters, not old Pokémon from older regions) and is built on a newer engine for a different console? No thanks, I prefer the GSC-style sequels over the B2W2-style sequels, hands down.

On the surface, GSC style might look appealing, but there's plenty of problems with what GSC did. First of all, both Kanto and Johto's regional design suffered from being shackled to each other. Kanto had to remove many of its areas and features and became a shell of its former self, and Johto was so small and linear that it makes Unova look like Hoenn or Sinnoh. Johto's inclusion didn't really improve Kanto at all, it just made things worse. They would've been better off with two separate games which develop the region individually, then they could focus on each regions' individual problems and expand them both to be greater than what they were combined in HGSS. That's the beauty behind BW2's system, it doesn't just lazily slap on areas and Pokemon that don't really belong, it makes changes that better benefit the region.

Regarding this line: "adds new Pokemon to the Kanto Dex to give it an acceptable variety of Pokemon". Well, GSC added 100 ENTIRELY NEW Pokémon, intead of rehashing old Pokémon for the upteenth time like B2W2 did.

You're missing the point of what I said. It's not just about new Pokemon, but what kind of new Pokemon. The Kanto Dex had major balancing issues, some types like Normal, Water, Poison, and Flying had tons and tons of Pokemon, while Ghost and Dragon only had one family each. 2nd gen did very little to fix this balance, as both Ghost and Dragon only got an additional one family of Pokemon, leaving Ghost and Dragon still too few in number (it usually takes at least about 5 or 6 families before you have enough Pokemon for each type). You can't just add in X amount of Pokemon and call it a day, you have to be careful about which Pokemon you include in the Dex (something I think Game Freak learned the hard way in 2nd gen, as 3rd gen they started making more Pokemon from those types). So in order for the Kanto Dex to be balanced, you need at least the following:

-1 Ice type family (although Glaceon can just be added to fulfill this, so it may as well not be an issue)
-4 Ghost type families
-4 Dragon type families
-5 Dark type families
-4 Steel type families

Evolutions and Mega Evolutions can help bring these numbers down a bit, but even with that, you need at least one Dragon type and 3 Ghost types from either 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th gen to reach those numbers.

EDIT: As far as Fairy is concerned:

We have 3 Fairy type families (Clefairy, Jigglypuff, and Mr. Mime), but we need at least two more. One if you add in Sylveon. We have 3 2nd gen Fairy families to choose from (Togepi, Marill and Snubbull), so we don't need any other Pokemon to help it.

As for "rehashing", it's fairly unreasonable to expect to have new Pokemon every single game, that's a huge strain on creativity. Unless you're fine with only having 30 or so new Pokemon each game, which would be disappointing. There's nothing wrong with reusing old Pokemon, especially if it's underused and underrated, or got some kind of new improvement recently (new moves, a new ability, an evolution or Mega evolution) that warrants use in this game. Re-encountering an old Pokemon that you previously might have glossed over and finding that it's actually useful would be refreshing enough that it could appear again without feeling bland.

Last edited:
Apparently ribbons are returning in this game. I just want contests back....

I seriously don't want anything that has to do with Kanto - especially when it comes to remakes. Hoenn needs its own spotlight

It's really curious that Hoenn fans (plus Genwunner) say that one mention to RSE (the Ruby and Sapphire weddings) is undisputable proof of a RSE coming out. Especially because, if we go by their own logic, there are more chances they're hinting actually at yet another Kanto remake than at a Hoenn, as Kanto gets more references, mentions and shout outs than Hoenn: you get a Kanto starter, prof. Oak and Blue are mentioned, Gen I Pokémon are the ones who get more Mega Evolutions, and so on.

Not that I say I do believe they'll remake Kanto again in Gen VI, just to point out how flawed that logic is.

It's really curious that Hoenn fans (plus Genwunner) say that one mention to RSE (the Ruby and Sapphire weddings) is undisputable proof of a RSE coming out. Especially because, if we go by their own logic, there are more chances they're hinting actually at yet another Kanto remake than at a Hoenn, as Kanto gets more references, mentions and shout outs than Hoenn: you get a Kanto starter, prof. Oak and Blue are mentioned, Gen I Pokémon are the ones who get more Mega Evolutions, and so on.

Not that I say I do believe they'll remake Kanto again in Gen VI, just to point out how flawed that logic is.

But we are also due a remake of Kanto, it's been nearly 10 years since FRLG.
I don't think there will be a remake however, I think Origins was the remake but rather than revise the story and release the games again they just told the revised story in an anime.
Hoenn however, hasn't been visited in a decade, and there are many invites to come to the region or people telling you about the region.

I personally hope for a sequel/new story set in Hoenn rather than just a remake of the original story.

I was playing my new Pokemon Y game last night and I noticed something. In the town where the fairy gym leader is at a little girl talks about Hoenn. I thought it was odd because their hasn't been very many nods to past games so far.(in dialogue I don't mean pokemon). So I'm thinking that might be game freaks way of possibly hinting at a remake. Wich personally I find highly likely. It was mamy fans first exposure to pokemon. It also is the one most likely for a remake. I think if game freak did it though it would only be for fan service. As you can get all Hoenn pokemon easily in other games. But I'd love to see a Hoenn remake I can't imagine how good it would look.

I thought it was odd because their hasn't been very many nods to past games so far.(in dialogue I don't mean pokemon).

Really? Leakers mentioned quite a bit of Sinnoh references before the second gym so.....

I thought it was odd because their hasn't been very many nods to past games so far.(in dialogue I don't mean pokemon).

Really? Leakers mentioned quite a bit of Sinnoh references before the second gym so.....

Can you mention one in a spoiler tag, I've not heard any references to Sinnoh so far from leakers.

So, by this logic, that means because colress was mentioned at one point...GEN V REMAEKS CONFIRMED!!!111!

I actually haven't seen the references because they only mentioned that there was a few. It might have been from a reviewer.

So, by this logic, that means because colress was mentioned at one point...GEN V REMAEKS CONFIRMED!!!111!

Please this is such a false argument.
There's a huge difference between mentioning Colress who actually has a sort of link with the games, and explicitly saying, you should visit my region, I come from a region with this feature, we've got a wedding anniversary, first Ruby, then Sapphire.

So please stop making false comparisons.

The only Sinnoh reference I found was a mention of Rowan. I'm not saying their is going to be a remake. It just seems likely and a gen v remake would be a terrible idea. I'm just speculating because it seemed a bit odd. I'm also really hoping for gen 3 add on like ruby and sapphire 2. So it's probably just my clouded judgement

The only Sinnoh reference I found was a mention of Rowan. I'm not saying their is going to be a remake. It just seems likely and a gen v remake would be a terrible idea. I'm just speculating because it seemed a bit odd. I'm also really hoping for gen 3 add on like ruby and sapphire 2. So it's probably just my clouded judgement

Yeah Ruby2 and Sapphire2 would be cool, and as we've unfortunately had Mega Evos forced on us, Groudon and Kyogre could get Mega Evos who would be Version mascots.

Maybe NeoMagma and NeoAqua realise that the old teams failed and want to try again, on a global scale though not just in Hoenn so they need their Mega Evos to do it.

Maybe NeoMagma and NeoAqua realise that the old teams failed and want to try again, on a global scale though not just in Hoenn so they need their Mega Evos to do it.

Do you even remember what Aqua and Magma wanted to do? They wanted to increase the land/sea for the benefit of Pokemon. They certainly weren't doing it in a Hoenn-only scale, and based on the events in Emerald, if Groudon and Kyogre were left unchecked, their powers would have eventually consumed the world.

And you know the reason they quit? Because they realized their plans was going to destroy the world. I doubt they'd return and only attempt to do it again with super-powered versions of the legendaries that nearly destroyed the ecosystem last time.

Yeah this would be cool, and as we've unfortunately had Mega Evos forced on us, Groudon and Kyogre could get Mega Evos who would be Version mascots.

Mega evos arnt all bad. That's a sound plot but I was thinking more along the lines of environment chaos. Since the weather trio was caught you could have some sort of plot about restoring hoenns balance. Plus because of it their would be new locals and it would feel like the regions changed a bit. I'd also prefer a game without teams and legendarys. Just an engaging plot while you fight to be the best, like no one ever was.

To elaborate before someone points it out. I mean no catchable legendaries. I want a game that treats legendaries like what they are theirs no reason I should be able to catch God in a poke ball.

But we are also due a remake of Kanto, it's been nearly 10 years since FRLG.

Not so much, because the last time we went to Kanto was in HGSS. We're not "due" for anything Kanto related. I do think it would be nice to see one with the right kind of changes made, though.

Mega evos arnt all bad. That's a sound plot but I was thinking more along the lines of environment chaos. Since the weather trio was caught you could have some sort of plot about restoring hoenns balance.

There were no lingering balance issues at the end of RSE, this plot wouldn't work. Also, the game is probably going to act as if the weather trio was never caught.

I'd also prefer a game without teams and legendarys. Just an engaging plot while you fight to be the best, like no one ever was.

I don't think this will ever happen. The Pokemon League quest isn't an engaging plot at all, there's no real source of conflict in fighting gym leaders and Elite 4 members.

Mega evos arnt all bad. That's a sound plot but I was thinking more along the lines of environment chaos. Since the weather trio was caught you could have some sort of plot about restoring hoenns balance.

There were no lingering balance issues at the end of RSE, this plot wouldn't work. Also, the game is probably going to act as if the weather trio was never caught.

I'd also prefer a game without teams and legendarys. Just an engaging plot while you fight to be the best, like no one ever was.

I don't think this will ever happen. The Pokemon League quest isn't an engaging plot at all, there's no real source of conflict in fighting gym leaders and Elite 4 members.[/QUOTE]

I'm not talking about just fighting the elite 4 and champion that's already been done. I believe you've heard of it their called red and blue. I also mean that emerald is the only third gen game counted as canon. As well as that the legendaries were caught. Because the weather trio kept balance it would be cool to have a plot about what would happen with their absence. And it doesn't even have to be that it could be any cool plot we havnt seen 6 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom