• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

PokéShipping Debate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott85 said:
Uh, I wouldn't say that. Tracey contacted Misty that he'd give her a gift essentially. The child of his Marril is a pretty big deal, and we know how much Misty loves Pokemon. This isn't some random wild Pokemon that Misty came to pick up. It is the child of Tracey's Marril, one of her friends and a pretty big deal if Tracey promised to give it to her.

Misty getting a nice Pokemon gift from Tracey cannot be downplayed, especially since it's just a baby Pokemon. Tracey could have kept the Azurill himself, but the fact that he decided to give it to Misty instead shows how much he trusts her.

Getting a new baby Pokemon from one of her friends is pretty high on her priority list.

Tracey also knows that Misty wants to be a Water Pokémon Master. She would likely be the first person he thought of to give Azurill to. She could have gone to Pallet, picked up Azurill, and left for Cerulean. However, she chose to time her visit so that she'd be in Pallet when Ash came home.

I agree that there's not a lot of shipping evidence, but to jump to the conclusion that there's never going to be any more shipping between Ash and Misty in the anime is a bit premature.

Did you just ignore what I said in my previous post about Misty leaving her Gym to pick up Azurill? A girl visiting one of her friends that she hasn't seen in MONTHS is not exactly concrete shippy evidence. Not to mention we don't even know if Misty still has a crush on Ash, where was it made apparent after "Gotta Catch ya later" that she still likes him as more than a friend?

I think Jo-Jo phrased it best in her post. Azurill and Ash were nearly equal in importance with Tracey just behind. Just because she hasn't seen him in months (the phrase 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' comes to mind), do you think she doesn't have a crush on him anymore?

Tracey also knows that Misty wants to be a Water Pokémon Master. She would likely be the first person he thought of to give Azurill to.
Naturally. He also might have thought of her because he knows she's had experience taking care of baby Pokemon. In fact, it's possible she'd told him she was missing Togepi and he thought giving her Azurill would cheer her up.

When you think about it, though, it's a huge gesture on Tracey's part. I'm sure if I were in his position, I wouldn't have wanted to give up that baby at all. It's nice to see him being so sweet. And I'm not saying that's Orangeshippy evidence, just having a quick Tracey-love moment. ^_^

She could have gone to Pallet, picked up Azurill, and left for Cerulean. However, she chose to time her visit so that she'd be in Pallet when Ash came home.
Yeah, because if she'd done that she would have had to go to Pallet, pick up Azurill, go back to Cerulean, and then go all the way back to Pallet a few days later when Ash showed up. Apart from the inconvenience, it's a bit rough on Azurill to keep dragging it from place to place when it's only a few days old, isn't it?

I agree that there's not a lot of shipping evidence, but to jump to the conclusion that there's never going to be any more shipping between Ash and Misty in the anime is a bit premature.
We're not saying that - well, I'm not, won't speak for Scott - I'm just saying that the writers don't seem to be going with Pokeshipping any more at this point in time. In theory, that could change in the future. (Although I do think that Orangeshipping is unlikely to be dropped for the reason that Tracey and Misty aren't important enough characters any more for it to be worth messing around with their love-lives.)

Except for the Orange Islands, there hasn't been any season with many shipping hints. Considering Advance has lacked a lot of shippyness, it's not a surprise Ash and Misty weren't showed talking.

Just because they didn't spend time together onscreen on those episodes when Ash came back to Pallet town doesn't mean Misty is over her crush on him.

But lack of Misty-->Ash hints combined with one Misty-->Tracey hint and several, uhhh, metatextual Misty/Tracey moments does suggest she's over it. IMO.

It depends on what the writers plans for Misty are in the long run. If they don't plan for her to become a main character ever again, then I don't see why they'd want to write Pokeshipping again.

Writing a ship between a main character and another character who appears once every 100 or so episodes is kind of silly when you think about it. Which is probably why there hasn't been anything Pokeshippy since Pokemon Advance began, there's just no point anymore.

Unless the writers bring Misty back for the D/P region (and then Pokeshipping could start again if they want), then there will probably be no more Pokeshippy hints in the future. If you count Misty's actual appeareances in AG, she's been in 5 episodes total out of the 140+ episodes so far. (Not counting her 3 second cameos during the Hoenn league). A ship between a character who only appeared 5 times in the series and a main character who appeared in 140+ times doesn't really work so to speak, because they hardly ever see each other.

This is why the Tracey/Misty fluff probably began. Both of them are ex-main characters who live in towns that are relatively close to each other. Since the writers saw it as being convenient, they threw in stuff between them now that Ash is no longer around.

Although back to the original point, I still strongly disagree that Misty meeting Ash at his house was shippy. It's just a plot device used by the writers to bring Misty back for 3 eps, nothing more.

Last edited:
Jo-Jo said:
But lack of Misty-->Ash hints combined with one Misty-->Tracey hint and several, uhhh, metatextual Misty/Tracey moments does suggest she's over it. IMO.

Just remember though those incidents between Misty and Tracey were forced upon them by a third party member. A dream, and a couple of "Is that your boyfriend Misty?" quotes were the bulk of it.

Unless the writers bring Misty back for the D/P region (and then Pokeshipping could start again if they want), then there will probably be no more Pokeshippy hints in the future.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is where the writers are headed. Brock disappeared for a season with sporadic appearances, then rejoined the group. It's a possibility that Misty will be rejoining the group for the D/P adventures. At least I hope so.

Barb said:
I'm beginning to wonder if this is where the writers are headed. Brock disappeared for a season with sporadic appearances, then rejoined the group. It's a possibility that Misty will be rejoining the group for the D/P adventures. At least I hope so.

Yeah, but Brock only missed one "saga" and then came back. Misty missed two (Hoenn and Kanto).

We'll see what happens as we get closer to the D/P saga, although some people are thinking they're going to start with an all-new cast and get rid of Ash and everyone.

Somehow I doubt that though, because Ash hasn't reached his goal yet and they're not going to throw away all they've done for the past 400 episodes just to get rid of Ash without some closure.

I think it's highly unlikely Misty will be back by D/P, it depends whether or not they're still interesting in continuing with the Advanced theme, which Misty has never really been apart of. But I'm not bothered by that, since I merely don't think that just because she doesn't come back it means that PokéShipping is dead and buried. What the problem is is the prospects of other ships hindering it, rather than the time spent apart between the two.

Ash will stay but I'll extremely suprised if the group itself doesn't change by D/P, we'll have had almost 200 episodes of them together in a row by that time! :eek:

I cannot picture the powers that be getting rid of Ash under any circumstances. Making a spinoff with other characters, yes; getting rid of the main character, no. If nothing else, I'll have fun making up new ships as new characters are introduced.

If they don't plan for her to become a main character ever again, then I don't see why they'd want to write Pokeshipping again.
I think pokeshipping could work even better with that element in mind: distance. Plenty of people agree that Pokemon is not a romance show. It's not a shoujo show where the main plot is concentrated on getting the main characters together, like Love Hina or School Rumble. If Ash did hook up with Misty while she was traveling with him and finally did have some sort of open relationship, the writers will probably be absolutely dumbfounded as to constantly writing good cohesive scripts that would somehow maintain and reflect the relationship between those two characters.

Romantic tension between two characters is much more easier to write and quite possibly much more fun to watch than observing two characters dating. A good example I could think of is the relationship between Harm and Mac from JAG. There was constant romantic tension between those two characters through a decade of the show's run until the series finale. It was until then in the last episode that the two finally got together, leaving the audience with their imagination on how things will play out later. The coin toss deciding which one ends his/her commision was awesome BTW. :)

Honestly, if any ship in Pokemon is to happen, whether it be advanceshipping, pokeshipping, contestshipping, rocketshipping, orangeshipping, etc, will most likely be at the show's end, whenever that is. IMO, I don't think the writers are quite capable of writing on-going relationships unless they're given large "reprieves" of writing mushy stuff, which probably gives a lot of ammo to orangeshippers. :\ Anyway, it would probably reflect the frequency of the sporadic and sparing signals of attraction in the show we like to call "hints."

That in mind, there is always the possibility that the writers want to keep Misty's appearance sparing and sporadic, almost sharing the same characteristic that pokeship hints seemed to have had in the first five seasons (Read: appearing once every fifty episodes or so). With that, they can salvage whatever Ash and Misty currently have and make it develop at a rate faster per episode with Misty not appearing so much than what was dragged out in a period of five friggin' seasons with her as a regular.

Oh and before anybody replies to this post, I'll say the magic words... Pure speculation and I'm quite aware of the "cold" reunion Ash and Misty had in the initial Battle Frontier episodes. :)

Last edited:
I think a future Misty return isn't totally impossible, but I wouldn't bet on D/P. And the longer she stays off the cast, the worse Pokeshipping's chances are, IMO.

The trouble is, Swifty, while I agree that distance and spending several episodes apart needn't be a problem - hey, Contestshipper :p - the near-total lack of interaction between Ash and Misty ever since Johto is a big problem for the ship. Even in the episodes which include Misty, she and Ash hardly exchange more than a few lines. If the writers were intending to keep up Pokeshipping, surely they'd have ensured that they made the most out of each one of her appearances?

Oh, and just to reply to Sharpshooter:

Just remember though those incidents between Misty and Tracey were forced upon them by a third party member. A dream, and a couple of "Is that your boyfriend Misty?" quotes were the bulk of it.
The question, then, is why put in those moments in the first place? What purpose do they serve, if not to hint at Orangeshipping?

Does this thread even have a list like the title suggests? Cause a lot of it seems a kinda Pokeshipping/Orangeshipping debate.

Well...you could make a seperate shipping debate thread so that this stuff doesn't clog up the Pokeshipping thread.

Over at the green place, the debate thread(s) have been quite successful.

Ahem.

Done. Debate freely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom