• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Scarlet/Violet DLC

I’m gonna be honest… I’m not even remotely excited. Even though I expected everyone else was gonna be.

It’s not that I’m against this, it’s just so… predictable. I remember hearing leaks about a new matcha convergent form, and was excited about all sorts of weird and cool ideas… but then we ended up taking the ‘easy’ and ‘expected’ route and just made a new form for the tea pokemon. I don’t know, I just feel they could have gone a more unique direction here.

I enjoy how much thought and Pokédex lore they've put into Poltchageist. If it existed in a vacuum, I'd really, really like it, no strings attached. As it is, though, I'm flummoxed by the claim that haunted-tea-monster is only superficially similar to other-haunted-tea-monster. Aren't they literally made of the same stuff, just with different flavoring in the liquid? I guess Poltchageist is (so far) presented more as "vessel that generates tea", while Sinistea/Polteageist were more "tea that wears vessels"...so they could be considered biologically distinct? Pokémon taxonomy is confusing. Ah, well, I think I'll enjoy encountering it in the DLC, and that's ultimately what matters.

So I hate to be overly negative about a series I'm a big fan of but.............what's the point of the DLC? And I mean really, WHAT is the point?

It's called "The Hidden Treasure Of Area Zero" & yet we're taken away from Paldea? Twice? Literally everything about Kitakami feels like filler. I genuinely have a hard time believing anything other than maybe the last 5% of that story is gonna be relevant to Area Zero. That's most likely gonna be Ogrepon's Tera Form. But even then, is that really enough to connect it to the events of the main game? The biggest connection we'll probably get is someone questioning it saying "I didn't know Terastallizing could do that. There's so much to learn!" Only for The Teal Mask to end right there.

And then BB Academy is a whole other school that, as far as I can remember, wasn't ever hinted at prior to during the main game. What purpose does that serve? Why do we need a SECOND Elite Four? Why aren't we learning more about our own school's history? Ya know, the one we actually spent the whole main game in? The one that has a dubious past concerning the formation of Team Star & who's students just did the impossible by going to Area Zero & uncovering some of its mysteries? The same students who are then made to keep everything that happened down there a secret, why aren't you picking back up on that?

Terapogos is apparently at the school...........why? And I don't ask "why" in a narrative sense, but from a creative sense. They want us to ask "Why is the special Pokemon in this new location?" & then expect us to find that place as relevant just because it's there. Instead I'm asking "Why did you put the important Pokemon miles & miles away from the important location that it's supposed to be in to make your story feel like it has payoff?" I don't see why they would make that decision & expect it to make logical sense. We don't need any of these new characters like the Kitakami siblings or Cyrano or Briar, we need to expand on the ones we already have in the main game.

Why??? Why aren't we focusing on what actually matters? Why build up so much story & mystery around Paradox Pokemon, Heath & Area Zero only to show that the majority of the DLC is gonna have nearly NOTHING to do with it??? I hope I'm wrong, I seriously hope I'm wrong. But almost nothing in the trailers looks like it's gonna amount to anything.

i sort of agree with the above comment, i feel like the dlc doesnt seem to have a lot with area zero despite being literally called "the treasure of area zero"
who knows, maybe there's something that connects it all that we're just going to have to find out for ourselves. that's what i'd like to think, at least.
i honestly think i'm more excited for the older mon to return than the actual dlc itself, haha. it's been too long since we've seen furret and mightyena (and snorlax and clef not even having been in the base game feels... wrong to me, somehow).

Considering that the base game had three separate storylines that all came together in the end, the DLC will most likely do the same thing. Not only did the recent trailers remind us that we'll be back in Area Zero, but the footage of Terapagos looks like it's in Area Zero rather than the BB Academy. Aside from that, with how good the story ended up being in the base game, the DLC could also give us some great stories that will most likely tie into Paldea and the existing school we've spent time in.

I started the DLC today and was enjoying everything up until the Exp. Charm is once again forced upon a player, and early into the DLC's story too. I'm so upset right now that I had to stop playing.

Like, why Game Freak?

Why force on players a non-optional feature that overlevels your Pokémon like crazy? Why not make the thing optional with a toggle feature, or just optional to receive?! This is so frustrating, especially with how easy it is to grind via the plethora of candy in the game.

@Daren I assume they got rid of the on and off toggle for attack animations to make them all play out during Tera Raid battles. I am sure that it is meant as a way to standardize the animations across every game. But it is really a superficial way to make the Tera Raid battles take longer and make you more likely to run out of time, even if most moves are faster now.

I started the DLC today and was enjoying everything up until the Exp. Charm is once again forced upon a player, and early into the DLC's story too. I'm so upset right now that I had to stop playing.

Like, why Game Freak?

Why force on players a non-optional feature that overlevels your Pokémon like crazy? Why not make the thing optional with a toggle feature, or just optional to receive?! This is so frustrating, especially with how easy it is to grind via the plethora of candy in the game.
I thought the EXP Charm was a prize for beating Carmen’s record. Is that not true?

@Daren I assume they got rid of the on and off toggle for attack animations to make them all play out during Tera Raid battles. I am sure that it is meant as a way to standardize the animations across every game. But it is really a superficial way to make the Tera Raid battles take longer and make you more likely to run out of time, even if most moves are faster now.
I've read that theory before, but considering the SNES game "Ogre Battle" was able to handle letting the player turn animations off but forcing them on for boss battles if that is the reason I don't think it reflects well.

I've read that theory before, but considering the SNES game "Ogre Battle" was able to handle letting the player turn animations off but forcing them on for boss battles if that is the reason I don't think it reflects well.
You are right. It really is just a theory. If anything, getting rid of the battle animation toggle is just another circumstance of Game Freak getting rid of another useful and optional feature for whatever reason.

I thought the EXP Charm was a prize for beating Carmen’s record. Is that not true?
As with Eri, I, too, didn't score higher than Carmine and got the Charm. It's a mandatory item to receive to continue through the plot.
It seems clear at this point GameFreak just isn't interested in giving the player options these days; even Set mode was removed and I only learned today you apparently can't even disable animations anymore?
True, but in the same update they're giving players the choice to change the Map and Menu screen backgrounds. So, some thought is there regarding allowing players to retain an iota of choice for something. It's just, why can't it be for something more impactful like the Exp. Share? Maybe a player wants to do a new game in Scarlet/Violet, access Kitakami for several Pokemon, and then head back and play through the main campaign without having all of their Pokemon be treated as traded mons overleveling through everything.

I miss the days where I didn't have to worry about skipping Trainers (which is essentially content) in an effort to not bulldoze through everything. That isn't to say I want wonky level curves like Sinnoh's horrendous jump from Volkner to Cynthia (49 to 66 for DP, or 50 to 62 for Pt). But, something akin to BW2 who I think has the perfect level curve; in all my playthroughs of the games, I always get to the League around their level without having to grind extra Trainers or Audino.

All they needed to do was make an NPC who says "Hi! Would you like a free EXP. Charm? It's permanent!" and everyone would be happy. I guarantee you in Gen X, we'll get it along with our Starter and any semblance of balance will be out the window; your Starter will already be level 10 before your first Rival Battle with their level 5 Starter.

True, but in the same update they're giving players the choice to change the Map and Menu screen backgrounds. So, some thought is there regarding allowing players to retain an iota of choice for something. It's just, why can't it be for something more impactful like the Exp. Share? Maybe a player wants to do a new game in Scarlet/Violet, access Kitakami for several Pokemon, and then head back and play through the main campaign without having all of their Pokemon be treated as traded mons overleveling through everything.

I miss the days where I didn't have to worry about skipping Trainers (which is essentially content) in an effort to not bulldoze through everything. That isn't to say I want wonky level curves like Sinnoh's horrendous jump from Volkner to Cynthia (49 to 66 for DP, or 50 to 62 for Pt). But, something akin to BW2 who I think has the perfect level curve; in all my playthroughs of the games, I always get to the League around their level without having to grind extra Trainers or Audino.

All they needed to do was make an NPC who says "Hi! Would you like a free EXP. Charm? It's permanent!" and everyone would be happy. I guarantee you in Gen X, we'll get it along with our Starter and any semblance of balance will be out the window; your Starter will already be level 10 before your first Rival Battle with their level 5 Starter.
I think we're at a divide between GameFreak and part of the playerbase.
There was something on the official site (it seems to have vanished but it still gets referenced in articles) about how "You’ll be able to experience the true joy of the Pokémon series—battling against wild Pokémon in order to catch them".

I think this fairly innocuous statement is actually very telling; the belief is that building up a collection is what people like, not battling other trainers or having challenges. So from that perspective nobody would want to turn off the Exp. Charm or Exp. Share because the reason you level up is to capture more Pokémon. It also explains the lack of a battle tower, lack of berry growing (you don't need berries for proper EV trainign for wild Pokémon) and Raids--which let you capture Pokémon--being pushed so heavily in Sw/Sh and S/V.

Of course they keep in multiplayer but I suspect it might be related to a phenomenon where some genres are prone to thinking that nobody is interested in single player challenges--and of course bonus Exp helps getting a competitive team together faster.

As I've said before, the games keep selling so I don't expect any part of this to be walked back anytime soon, and, well, the series trend since gen 6 has been to minimize as much as possible and it hasn't failed yet.

I only learned today you apparently can't even disable animations anymore?
From personal research in the internet this is true apparently, which is something else.

I'm playing Xenoblade Chronicles 3 right now and you have so many options to tweak the experience, specially the fact that you can change difficulty on the fly. Here comes Pokemon and they flat out remove features that have been part of the experience since day one.

For every step forward this franchise takes, it feels like they take at least two steps back.

For every step forward this franchise takes, it feels like they take at least two steps back.
I would flat out state so rather than say it’s a feeling. There’s never been a game (apart from third versions, but even that’s arguable) that has 100% moved in the right direction from its predecessor(s). As in taken everything the previous games before it did right (ex. walking Pokémon, Battle Frontier, Vs. Seeker, the PWT, Poke Pelago, rematches, clothing customization, that thing from ORAS that gives you Brave Bird Taillow, seals, etc.) , keep it, and expand upon it. Well, apart from everything that came after Gen 1; but that’s a given.

I would flat out state so rather than say it’s a feeling. There’s never been a game (apart from third versions, but even that’s arguable) that has 100% moved in the right direction from its predecessor(s). As in taken everything the previous games before it did right (ex. walking Pokémon, Battle Frontier, Vs. Seeker, the PWT, Poke Pelago, rematches, clothing customization, that thing from ORAS that gives you Brave Bird Taillow, seals, etc.) , keep it, and expand upon it. Well, apart from everything that came after Gen 1; but that’s a given.

Ehh, I feel like the 4th gen games also felt like an expansion on the 3rd gen games (there's nothing that stands out in my mind about 3rd gen that wasn't carried over or improved upon in 4th gen), but other than that, no. Game Freak has a nasty habit of removing features and replacing them with new things rather than expanding on what they have.

Like, why Game Freak?

You...do know you don't have to fight/catch every pokemon you see, right?

Trainers are (finally) literally completely optional too

If you're afraid of over-leveling a pokemon, box it and bring it out before you enter a battle you want to use it in

Back
Top Bottom