• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Hoenn Region

QWpE5jT.png

looka like we're getting our mega bangles very early in game

It's possible we could get them as gifts from Devon in Rustboro when we save their employee from the evil team. That's the earliest point I can think of that links Mega Stones with the RS plot. If Steven is researching Mega Stones, it's likely his father is also involved.

Otherwise, we'd be getting them in Granite Cave from Steven.

I personally think that's WAY too early for obtaining Mega Evolution. I'd rather it be later; later even than it was in X and Y. I feel like it should be something you earn by working your way through a good portion of the game. Maybe after Norman or something(I don't see how it could work, plot-wise, but it would be late enough that I'd like it)

What if it's from debug/beta testing and GF just forgot to get rid of it before that screenshot?

That would explain why May doesn't have one and Brendan does, when they took the screenshot they were playing as Brendan and they forgot to turn off being able to Mega Evolve?

QWpE5jT.png

looka like we're getting our mega bangles very early in game

It's possible we could get them as gifts from Devon in Rustboro when we save their employee from the evil team. That's the earliest point I can think of that links Mega Stones with the RS plot. If Steven is researching Mega Stones, it's likely his father is also involved.

Otherwise, we'd be getting them in Granite Cave from Steven.

I personally think that's WAY too early for obtaining Mega Evolution. I'd rather it be later; later even than it was in X and Y. I feel like it should be something you earn by working your way through a good portion of the game. Maybe after Norman or something(I don't see how it could work, plot-wise, but it would be late enough that I'd like it)

We get to see Steven again after beating Norman, around the time of the Weather Institute crisis, so it could work plot-wise.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

I'm not concerned about early megas. If we get the mega bengal early, so be it. As long as we don't have access to the mega stones until a reasonable point in time, it doesn't matter. We could spawn with the mega bengal for all i care and wiggle it around uselessly all game, it won't matter unless we have access to the mega stones.

Secondly, on the Sevii Islands: Yes, they should be accessible, but no, not too much Kanto reference in those areas. We have had enough of the Kanto-centricism in recent games and we don't need more fan pandering.

Next, Naval Island and other Islands: No, not normally accessible. Why not? Do you really need to catch a Deoxys? Can't you just get one via GTS with the click of a few buttons? If we were to be able to access these areas, I would like them to be available with event items only, just like they were in the original games.

The updated Hoenn map (official one released by Pokemon company, with some extra annotations from Google Images, is here: download.jpg )

Ignore the red lines on there, I didn't make those. As I said, this is pulled off of google images, but I have verified on the Pokemon website that it is the same map that was officially released.

The map looks pretty similar to the current (original) version, with all the same areas. It looks more updated and modern, obviously, but it doesn't seem to bring anything new to the game.

I believe that the story will shift so that we'll be moving around and backtracking differently than before, and the areas might get some slight changes, but I'm hoping that this isn't too deviated from the original games. Gen III was the best generation imo and I don't want to see it too changed by the modern game mechanics like mega evolution.

Secondly, on the Sevii Islands: Yes, they should be accessible, but no, not too much Kanto reference in those areas. We have had enough of the Kanto-centricism in recent games and we don't need more fan pandering.

I'd say including the Sevii Islands is already too much Kanto fan pandering.

Next, Naval Island and other Islands: No, not normally accessible. Why not? Do you really need to catch a Deoxys? Can't you just get one via GTS with the click of a few buttons? If we were to be able to access these areas, I would like them to be available with event items only, just like they were in the original games.

Deoxys they may not make available because they tend not to have event encounters to discourage hacking. But Lugia and Ho-oh? We haven't been able to catch them since HGSS (unless you count the Dream Radar, but you needed a copy of HGSS to access them anyway so that didn't really help). And relying on the GTS to get Pokemon that they could've just included in the game in the first place would be really cheap, do you have any idea how unreasonable the trades are on the GTS? The people there ask for Lv. 100 Xerneas for their Lv. 1 Magikarp for Christ's sake, you pretty much can't rely on the GTS for anything. More importantly, why in God's name do you think Lugia and Ho-oh should be events? They're not event Pokemon, they shouldn't be treated as such. Putting them on Navel Rock post game without the need for an event is more than reasonable.

I believe that the story will shift so that we'll be moving around and backtracking differently than before, and the areas might get some slight changes, but I'm hoping that this isn't too deviated from the original games. Gen III was the best generation imo and I don't want to see it too changed by the modern game mechanics like mega evolution.

Backtracking? How? I can't see what they'd change in the storyline path from the originals that would make sense. And Game Freak doesn't really like backtracking that much anymore, they prefer the regional design to be as straightforward as possible.

I'd say including the Sevii Islands is already too much Kanto fan pandering.

Deoxys they may not make available because they tend not to have event encounters to discourage hacking. But Lugia and Ho-oh? We haven't been able to catch them since HGSS (unless you count the Dream Radar, but you needed a copy of HGSS to access them anyway so that didn't really help). And relying on the GTS to get Pokemon that they could've just included in the game in the first place would be really cheap, do you have any idea how unreasonable the trades are on the GTS? The people there ask for Lv. 100 Xerneas for their Lv. 1 Magikarp for Christ's sake, you pretty much can't rely on the GTS for anything. More importantly, why in God's name do you think Lugia and Ho-oh should be events? They're not event Pokemon, they shouldn't be treated as such. Putting them on Navel Rock post game without the need for an event is more than reasonable.

Backtracking? How? I can't see what they'd change in the storyline path from the originals that would make sense. And Game Freak doesn't really like backtracking that much anymore, they prefer the regional design to be as straightforward as possible.

Sevii Islands: I really think that it's not pandering to include this post game area. It's not a Kanto area, it's an interregional set of islands. Sure, you can only access them from a Kanto game at the moment, but that's not to say that they are Kanto only areas. They could just as easily have had the player travel there from HGSS or DPPt or any other game. I will admit, though, that it would be very difficult to include this area without tying in to Kanto unnecessarily. But then should we never return to this excellent area because of its ties to Kanto? The longer we leave the Sevii Islands untouched, the more Kanto related they will seem. I don't think it's unreasonable to return there and explore an island region in what is notorious for being the most water-related region in all of Pokemon.

Legendaries and post-game (?) areas: My point is, and forgive my atrocious articulation of this point earlier, that we don't need access to all the legendaries. My reference to the GTS was more a point of principle rather than practicality; sure it's ridiculous on there, but that's not the fault of design, it's the fault of players. Legendary event pokemon were reserved for events for a reason in older games and should be kept that way. I don't want a repeat of my least favorite games, Diamond and Pearl, where you had access to a billion and one different legendary pokemon. It dilutes the meaning of being a legendary pokemon. I don't see the need to pick up Ho-oh or Lugia in these games; they aren't Hoenn pokemon and they have no connection whatsoever to the Hoenn storyline. In fairness, Kyogre and Groudon were available in HGSS, but I don't agree with that choice by GF. What purpose did it serve other than granting access to legendaries for no reason other than handing out legendaries? If you want them that badly then you can wait for Nintendo to host events.

Backtracking and storyline changes: By backtracking I just mean that they might integrate more openness into your exploration of Hoenn and avoid the linear qualities that Kalos and Unova had. You make a good point that given the recent games they are moving in a more linear direction, but if we look at different Nintendo franchises quite the opposite is happening; the Legend of Zelda series is being developed to be more of an open world exploration with less linear development and story. I'm not saying that ORAS will do the same thing, but I don't think it's an unreasonable possibility.

Last edited:
Legendaries and post-game (?) areas: My point is, and forgive my atrocious articulation of this point earlier, that we don't need access to all the legendaries. My reference to the GTS was more a point of principle rather than practicality; sure it's ridiculous on there, but that's not the fault of design, it's the fault of players. Legendary event pokemon were reserved for events for a reason in older games and should be kept that way. I don't want a repeat of my least favorite games, Diamond and Pearl, where you had access to a billion and one different legendary pokemon. It dilutes the meaning of being a legendary pokemon. I don't see the need to pick up Ho-oh or Lugia in these games; they aren't Hoenn pokemon and they have no connection whatsoever to the Hoenn storyline. In fairness, Kyogre and Groudon were available in HGSS, but I don't agree with that choice by GF. What purpose did it serve other than granting access to legendaries for no reason other than handing out legendaries? If you want them that badly then you can wait for Nintendo to host events.

I know that, I disagree with your entire point. The fact of the matter is that legendaries are required to complete the Dex, so they should make as many of them available as possible. 3rd and 4th gen were very good at this, with the exception of the Regis in 4th gen you could catch all non-event Pokemon in the games without any kind of transfers, GTS, anything. I'd like to see the same thing happen with 6th gen, if I buy X, Y, Omega Ruby, Alpha Sapphire, and then whatever comes next (Z? XY2?), I want to be able to catch every Pokemon except for Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Diancie, Hoopa, and Volcanion without transfers, events, or other kinds of gimmicks. All 705 nonevent Pokemon should be available in at least one of those 5-6 games. And frankly, I think it's doable, there's enough room in ORAS and the next game for the remaining starters and legendaries, and the other Pokemon shouldn't really be much of a problem. I understand not wanting to be drowned in legendaries, but the fact of the matter is that there's a lot of Pokemon, so in the grand scheme of things, there aren't that many.

Backtracking and storyline changes: By backtracking I just mean that they might integrate more openness into your exploration of Hoenn and avoid the linear qualities that Kalos and Unova had. You make a good point that given the recent games they are moving in a more linear direction, but if we look at different Nintendo franchises quite the opposite is happening; the Legend of Zelda series is being developed to be more of an open world exploration with less linear development and story. I'm not saying that ORAS will do the same thing, but I don't think it's an unreasonable possibility.

You can definitely expect Hoenn to be more open than Unova and Kalos. But only because it was already designed that way originally and there's little if anything Game Freak can do now to change that. They pretty much have to stick with Hoenn's open ended design and can only really make subtle tweaks if they want it to feel more linear.

Also, just because Zelda does it doesn't mean that they'd necessarily do the same thing for Pokemon. Pokemon is geared towards a younger audience, and that's the reason why they've made it more linear nowadays. Not that I agree with that direction, but still.

I bet a billiondy dollars that we go to Orre post-game.

(I'm kidding. I know that gamefreak had nothing do do with Orre. It would be really cool though.)

Mostly just add some nice variety to the water routes, even if it's just making the water and rocks prettier, maybe adding another Pokemon or two to them to make it more interesting. I'd like the idea of underwater routes to be expanded as well, they were cool.

Mostly just add some nice variety to the water routes, even if it's just making the water and rocks prettier, maybe adding another Pokemon or two to them to make it more interesting. I'd like the idea of underwater routes to be expanded as well, they were cool.

I don't think there's much they can do about the Wingull/Tentacool spam unless they add more Water types to the Hoenn Dex.

I don't think there's much they can do about the Wingull/Tentacool spam unless they add more Water types to the Hoenn Dex.

Yeah, it's kind of a bummer. They could probably go with your idea of little islands/sandbanks with grass to encounter different Pokemon.

I know that, I disagree with your entire point. The fact of the matter is that legendaries are required to complete the Dex, so they should make as many of them available as possible. 3rd and 4th gen were very good at this, with the exception of the Regis in 4th gen you could catch all non-event Pokemon in the games without any kind of transfers, GTS, anything. I'd like to see the same thing happen with 6th gen, if I buy X, Y, Omega Ruby, Alpha Sapphire, and then whatever comes next (Z? XY2?), I want to be able to catch every Pokemon except for Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Diancie, Hoopa, and Volcanion without transfers, events, or other kinds of gimmicks. All 705 nonevent Pokemon should be available in at least one of those 5-6 games. And frankly, I think it's doable, there's enough room in ORAS and the next game for the remaining starters and legendaries, and the other Pokemon shouldn't really be much of a problem. I understand not wanting to be drowned in legendaries, but the fact of the matter is that there's a lot of Pokemon, so in the grand scheme of things, there aren't that many.

You can definitely expect Hoenn to be more open than Unova and Kalos. But only because it was already designed that way originally and there's little if anything Game Freak can do now to change that. They pretty much have to stick with Hoenn's open ended design and can only really make subtle tweaks if they want it to feel more linear.

Also, just because Zelda does it doesn't mean that they'd necessarily do the same thing for Pokemon. Pokemon is geared towards a younger audience, and that's the reason why they've made it more linear nowadays. Not that I agree with that direction, but still.

About completion of the pokedex, I hadn't thought of it that way, which I know sounds dumb given the slogan "gotta catch 'em all!". It's probably because I focus more on battling through the main story and then against others than completing my pokedex. The fact that there are over 700 pokemon to date is quite discouraging in that pursuit.

On open endedness, you make it sound as though GF dislikes Hoenn and is reluctant to do a more open style of story line. And if you read my post, I specifically acknowledge the fact that what happens in Zelda won't necessarily happen in Pokemon. I am aware of that fact, but that's not to say that Nintendo isn't perhaps looking to move in that direction as a whole. Again, I acknowledge your point that based on the recent games the series is becoming more linear, and I am with you that it's not the best direction. They seem to be simplifying wherever possible for the sake of the younger audience. I think they need to accept that a large portion of pokemon's fan base is old enough to handle higher level gameplay mechanics and puzzles, deal with more complex stories areas to explore, etc. If they really wanted to make a child's game they would, and maybe that's what they're trying to do right now.

Yeah, it's kind of a bummer. They could probably go with your idea of little islands/sandbanks with grass to encounter different Pokemon.

I don't think that would really solve anything. A lot of the Hoenn Dex Pokemon are already somewhat diluted, what could they put there that would be new and interesting? And even so, you'd still have the problem of running into Tentacool and Wingull everywhere you Surf (which is a lot).

I don't think that would really solve anything. A lot of the Hoenn Dex Pokemon are already somewhat diluted, what could they put there that would be new and interesting? And even so, you'd still have the problem of running into Tentacool and Wingull everywhere you Surf (which is a lot).

I can see them expanding the dex, to 'New Unova/Kalos' sized. Humongous dexes seem to be the way to roll atm, and it could give diversity, but at the same time, may ruin the charm of RS.

I wantz more lavaz.

I can see them expanding the dex, to 'New Unova/Kalos' sized. Humongous dexes seem to be the way to roll atm, and it could give diversity, but at the same time, may ruin the charm of RS.

I wantz more lavaz.

I don't think it'd be a good idea to expand it to Kalos size, because at that point the game is diluted with foreign Pokemon and the native ones lose focus (as we saw with XY). 250-300 would be good, though. Whether or not they'll do it though, I'm not so confident they will. They seem to be taking a conservative approach with ORAS so far, we haven't really seen much along these lines that breaks the mold of the original game or previous remakes (new Mega Evolutions yes, but that's really not all that different from having new forms introduced like we've had the past two generations). Also, they usually tend to reveal Pokedex expansions early in the news cycle, and we've passed the point where they would normally do so. I don't think it would ruin the charm as long as the new ones don't overrun the region personally, but I think Game Freak may disagree from the looks of it.

Have you looked at the Hoenn Dex?
Excluding Mudkips line why got

Sursikt and Masquerain, don't tell me those can't live on surfable water close to the shore.
Goldeen and Seaking, why not have some more of them spread around, they aren't known to be extremely rare or anything, why make them fishing only?
Magikarp and Gyarados, put some wild Gyarados out there at the final routes, Magikarp kan stay fishing only.
Azurill, Marill, Azumarill, they can live close to shore too. Maybe not Azurill.
Caravannah and Sharpedo, they can also swim closer to the surface.
Wailmer and Wailord
Staryu and Starmie
Psyduck and Golduck
Chinchou and Lanturn
Ludvisc
Horsea, Seadra and Kingdra

And that is excluding a whole lot of Water-types I don't think is suitable and not including any non-water types. The irony is that while Hoenn has a huge amount of Water types only a small minority can be caught while surfing. They can fix that if they want to.

Have you looked at the Hoenn Dex?
Excluding Mudkips line why got

Sursikt and Masquerain, don't tell me those can't live on surfable water close to the shore.
Goldeen and Seaking, why not have some more of them spread around, they aren't known to be extremely rare or anything, why make them fishing only?
Magikarp and Gyarados, put some wild Gyarados out there at the final routes, Magikarp kan stay fishing only.
Azurill, Marill, Azumarill, they can live close to shore too. Maybe not Azurill.
Caravannah and Sharpedo, they can also swim closer to the surface.
Wailmer and Wailord
Staryu and Starmie
Psyduck and Golduck
Chinchou and Lanturn
Ludvisc
Horsea, Seadra and Kingdra

And that is excluding a whole lot of Water-types I don't think is suitable and not including any non-water types. The irony is that while Hoenn has a huge amount of Water types only a small minority can be caught while surfing. They can fix that if they want to.

Most of those aren't really suitable for a Surfing encounter on a sea route, they're either better for a different kind of water environment (like rivers, marshes, etc.) or they make more sense as fishing Pokemon or underwater Pokemon. The only ones I can see fitting are Gyarados (which would most likely be too rare to significantly affect the distribution) or Wailmer. It'd be better to simply add more.

That is obviously a fair point, and I do not disagree with it completely, but if we are to follow those standards there aren't many Pokemon to chose from.
Remonaid, Mantine and Frillish. But please let me know which one you were thinking of and why they are better than Goldeen.

And honestly, why would anyone in their right mind introduce more water types to Hoenn, 23% of the Dex is Water, excluding only event Pokemon, yes, there are 46 water Pokemon in Hoenn already, why not just make some of those more easily available and focus on other types, like Ice and Ghost if we are going about introducing new Pokemon to Hoenn?

That is obviously a fair point, and I do not disagree with it completely, but if we are to follow those standards there aren't many Pokemon to chose from.
Remonaid, Mantine and Frillish. But please let me know which one you were thinking of and why they are better than Goldeen.

Well, I was thinking all three, but if I had to choose one, I'd say Frillish. It's a Ghost type so it adds variety to the distribution and you could put it just about anywhere (Rt. 122, Abandoned Ship, any of the sea routes). Now that I think about it, Gastrodon would be good too since it has an East Sea and West Sea form so they could add West Sea to Rt. 105-109 and East Sea to Rt. 124-134 and it that would add a bit of diversity to the distribution.

And honestly, why would anyone in their right mind introduce more water types to Hoenn, 23% of the Dex is Water, excluding only event Pokemon, yes, there are 46 water Pokemon in Hoenn already, why not just make some of those more easily available and focus on other types, like Ice and Ghost if we are going about introducing new Pokemon to Hoenn?

Honestly, I don't think it really matters if they skew it towards Water types that much if they have enough options for each type. And since there's some other lingering distribution issues, they could work on those in addition.

because while i'm surfing i'd like more then just wingul and tentacool the zubats of the ocean. (however i always had more problems running into geodude then i did zubat) we need to take clampearl chincou relcanth and wailmer and make then catachable by during not fishing and diving.

Back
Top Bottom