• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Hoenn Region

I wonder what will be present in place of Mauville's game corner, if anything.

I don't know! I just figured it'd be more logical to use the space for something else, rather than have a building we can't get into.

More like Game Freak's laziness confirmed.

For one thing, they don't have the rights for half the regions represented there, and for another, they've told us that Sinnoh is north.

Game Freak's maps are the dumbest I've seen. They create that new box-Hoenn map, but then all the in-game maps use the traditional RS shapes.

More like Game Freak's laziness confirmed.

For one thing, they don't have the rights for half the regions represented there, and for another, they've told us that Sinnoh is north.

Game Freak's maps are the dumbest I've seen. They create that new box-Hoenn map, but then all the in-game maps use the traditional RS shapes.

Game Freak didn't make that map. Serebii did. That map is used on Serebii's Pokearth, which is a database on the site that gives you detailed information on each area (what Pokemon can be caught, what trainers you battle, what items you find, etc.). It's not meant to be realistic, he laid it out that way so it wouldn't take up as much space.

Huh, nice easter egg. I'm kinda glad that GF acknowledges his site, it does make it looks like they know what the fandom wants. I still am amazed that they stupidly went for the Dark-Fighting-Psychic triangle when its not perfect

Regarding the Serebii map thing - that's just biazarre. Why the hell would they do that and look up a random fan made map from the internet instead of drawing one themselves? Also, instead of Serebii I'd be mad over this. What gives them any right to use this fan made creation? I know that technically they own Pokémon so it's probably "legal" for them to do so but that still doesn't change the fact they pretty much stole something created by a fan and used it in their game. What's next, stealing fan art? They have absolutely no right at all to steal fan made content and use it freely without getting permission from the creator. (again I realize they can get away with it but it's still frustrating and not fair for the content creator)

Regarding the Serebii map thing - that's just biazarre. Why the hell would they do that and look up a random fan made map from the internet instead of drawing one themselves? Also, instead of Serebii I'd be mad over this. What gives them any right to use this fan made creation? I know that technically they own Pokémon so it's probably "legal" for them to do so but that still doesn't change the fact they pretty much stole something created by a fan and used it in their game. What's next, stealing fan art? They have absolutely no right at all to steal fan made content and use it freely without getting permission from the creator. (again I realize they can get away with it but it's still frustrating and not fair for the content creator)

I see it as more of Ascended Fanon than anything. It's happened a few times in media, and they don't necessarily credit the original author either. I'm sure that they'd pay Serebii for future uses if the guy asked, but he's just happy that something he made got acknowledged by the creators.

You said it yourself. Pokemon Company owns the rights to Pokemon, so they own the rights to every derivative work. Just like every fanfic states at the beginning: all rights belong to the original creator, not the author, and the creator doesn't need to credit the author (but it's the classy thing to do).

In this case, I don't think they were just searching for a random map on the internet. Searching Japanese Google and Yahoo for 'Pokemon World Map' or similar, does not yield the Pokearth map in the top results. Serebii is the dominant Western Pokemon news website, so I think they were aware of what they were using. A nice touch.

Fanfics would be different because they'd actually be lifting story scenarios, which wouldn't fall under Game Freak's copyright.

As for Serebii? I doubt they'd pay him if he asked, as Kallyle suggested considering that all this map is, is a bunch of pixels that literally did not influence anyone's decision to purchase this game.

It's happened a few times in media, and they don't necessarily credit the original author either

I remember in the original Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing , they used some girl's Sonic deviantart OC as a texture in one of the levels as a placeholder, but forgot to remove it in time for the Wii and Steam release. It's still in the Wii version.

It's happened a few times in media, and they don't necessarily credit the original author either

I remember in the original Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing , they used some girl's Sonic deviantart OC as a texture in one of the levels as a placeholder, but forgot to remove it in time for the Wii and Steam release. It's still in the Wii version.

Man, hoenn is now huge. I mean it was already big, but the way they updated it for the current standards is amazing. Kalos is smaller, but it had this vastness that previous regions, even Unova, did not. After Norman, route 119 and beyond is where the game really opens though I've gotten overwhelmed at times. Easily took the spot of best region. I mean it already was, but it needed the update to truly shine.

Back
Top Bottom