• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The How Much Japanese Music Is Kept In The Dub Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Four Seasons Of Sawsbuck kept 4.5 pieces of music or 35%.

Excellent dub soundtrack as usual!

10/10 tcpi , keep up the effort

*sigh* I guess we, the american audience, will never get a proper dub of pokemon. The poor kids in the US will never get the same, exciting viewing experience as the kids in Japan. They do not deserve to put up with hearing small, uninspiring, and unmarketable music. Why must TPCi be different? Why must they drastically change music that's harmless?! Why are they so uptight about certain things? Why are they so greedy and arrogant? WHY? Just...WHY?!?!?!

Last edited:
To this day I think TPCi should have given the show to FUNimation as they know how to properly dub Anime.

To this day I think TPCi should have given the show to FUNimation as they know how to properly dub Anime.

NO WAY!!!!!!! you would get inferior voices, inferior cast, inferior soundtrack and inferior vocal singers just for a few extra original bgms??

get real.

NO WAY!!!!!!! you would get inferior voices, inferior cast, inferior soundtrack and inferior vocal singers just for a few extra original bgms??

get real.

Okay, you are just ASKING to be flamed to hell. It's one thing to state a opinion of yours. It's another to state it as if it were factual and all other "opinions" are inferior. As a fan of dubs by (the late but great) ADV, FUNimation, Bandai, Ocean and Viz, I find that statement of yours REALLY offensive. Why? Because their dubs (with a few exceptions) manage to stick to the JPN version which is far more than what I can say for 4kids or TPCi.

Just some advice guys. If you think someone's being a troll, put them on your ignore list so you don't have to view their posts.

I haven't even watched to last 5 Dub episodes because of the music. I may get around to it just because I'm a completist. I mean, the instant TPCI took control of the Dub, they promised they were going to be more faithful to the Japanese version, including keeping the background music. It takes almost 5 years for them to even come close to keeping the original BGM. Then bam! They pull a stunt and revert completely back to their old ways.

It's not an issue of who dubs the show. Just stay faithful to the original content, unless there is arguably a necessity to make changes. I can assure you that where the instrumental background music is concerned, none of those exceptions exist.

@Kazamatsuri is right. If you feel like someone is trolling or says things contrary to the opinion you hold then either debate it or ignore them. The ignore list is your friend, people. Trust me.

@(P.O.K.E.M.O.N), you have no right to say that someone else's opinion is inferior and do not tell people to get real.
@matt0044, next time you see something you disagree with and you feel affronted by it report the post. Mods are here to help, don't take it upon yourself to provide what you think is retribution.

And as a less-specific warning here - Be polite. Be respectful of other peoples' views. Argue opinions, don't attack people.

I haven't even watched to last 5 Dub episodes because of the music. I may get around to it just because I'm a completist. I mean, the instant TPCI took control of the Dub, they promised they were going to be more faithful to the Japanese version, including keeping the background music. It takes almost 5 years for them to even come close to keeping the original BGM. Then bam! They pull a stunt and revert completely back to their old ways.

Do you have proof? I kinda find that hard to believe that they'd actually say that.

Do you have proof? I kinda find that hard to believe that they'd actually say that.

I've been in doubt about that myself.

Honestly,if it weren't for the dub music,I'd be all over the dub,watching every episode even.

But they wont keep the eye catchers,wont dub the professor segment at the end,they won't dub or make a proper 1.30 min song rather than give us some hack Job 30 second dub song

And they wont keep the dang bgm,which is the least they can do. Its just all to much,and my reason for watching it just dwindles

^The first ones I can live without but the last they must keep.

Hasbro did that with the Unicron Trilogy. They had their openings changed, but the original BGM was left as is (as was nice enough to leave in moments without music). If TPCi did that, the dub would be considered acceptable to me.

Same here,but the thing is they wont do it.

The dub music has this negative vibe thar comes off as: ok lets get this $h@t over with and call it a day.

The dub music has this negative vibe thar comes off as: ok lets get this $h@t over with and call it a day.
I agree. The music sounds rushed (they have, like, no discernible melodies at all!) and they seem sloppily put together.

(they have, like, no discernible melodies at all!)
That's probably the biggest issue I have with the dub music. I mean, to give credit where credit is due, before they went absolutely crazy and started with all the little jingles and millisecond's-length stuff, 4Kids were pretty ok at making pieces that you could actually hum along to. There's a reason why people are always asking for that music from the Spearow scene, for example. TPC's dub doesn't even have that going for it.

And they think THAT'S better than Shinji Miyazaki's work? They may as well quit while they're ahead, it'll save them the bother.

And they think THAT'S better than Shinji Miyazaki's work? They may as well quit while they're ahead, it'll save them the bother.
Like I said we wouldn't have had this problem if FUNimation had gotten it.

I don't know what John Loeffler was on when he insulted Mr. Miyazaki's work as "Basic" (He made a total of about 300-400 tracks. How is that "Basic"), while calling his score "lush, big, and extravagant with lots of instruments" (When really, all he's using is couple of synthesizers with samples that sound like it alot of instruments).

Last edited:

Like I said we wouldn't have had this problem if FUNimation had gotten it.

What about Viz/Ocean? They dubbed Naruto, Bleach, Ranma and others well with no BGM changes and good voice acting. Plus, Viz releases Pokemon material too like DVDs and Manga. Why didn't they?

What about Viz/Ocean? They dubbed Naruto, Bleach, Ranma and others well with no BGM changes and good voice acting. Plus, Viz releases Pokemon material too like DVDs and Manga. Why didn't they?

I'm not an expert on this (so maybe I shouldn't even be answering), but I'm pretty sure the dub went in the hands straight from 4Kids to TPCI (then PUSA). I don't think it was like One Piece where there was some decent amount of time where it wasn't in any company's dubbing hands.

Anyway, I'm watching the English version of Best Wishes! via Pokemon.com and listening to the BW! music (I haven't really had trouble distinguishing between Japanese and dub music). Gotten through nine episodes. I know (besides the eyecatch) the Japanese scoring's in tact the first through episodes and then it changes. Also, I like the Japanese music playing at the end of "Dreams By the Yard Full."

But yeah, I'm trying to give the BW! music a second chance. I care its music being replaced, but how much I care depends on the music itself. (Although there is a set amount of caring I have coming from how they're changing the original product in general.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom