• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The TILT Thread (Today I Learned That…)

Today I learned that the printing on the Clone Trooper Helmets coming in the Lego Star Wars 332nd Battle Pack releasing August 1 will not be as great as they could be. I do understand that there are custom helmets, but I am a purist basically with everything I touch so I’m not as excited for the battle pack as I was before.

Not that any of that was a surprise, though. (Politicians, amirite? Again, let’s just keep it at that.) What I actually learned from all of that was that none of the supposed £350 million saved per week from Brexit ever made it to the NHS — because, of course, said £350 million never actually existed in the first place — and that, most critically of all given that fact, said NHS is in fact critically underfunded and understaffed at the moment. How is this relevant to me, you might ask?
When reading, I kind of predicted that the money was “false”. Also, good luck on moving and hopefully you can find a good place to move to. (On the other hand, I would say that I just learned the same thing too today)

YILT (not a typo) a major chord in music is where you have one random note then you move over three notes giving you your second note and then move over two notes, giving you your third key. For a diminished chord, the first move is just two notes. I still have much to learn for music theory though I must say I feel quite a bit smarter

Last edited:
YILT (not a typo) a major chord in music is where you have one random note then you move over three notes giving you your second note and then move over two notes, giving you your third key. For a diminished chord, the first move is just two notes. I still have much to learn for music theory though I must say I feel quite a bit smarter
I have taken 6 years of music theory courses, feel free to profile/conversation message for any questions

TIL whales have "lice" too, except they are not insects, they are crustaceans!

TIL that cookies are only 85 years old. In the grander scheme of things I thought they'd have been around a bit longer.

Same with Pepperoni, I also saw today that it's been around since about 1919. This makes Oreos (1912) older than both of them, which sounds crazy to me.

A couple more I found in the Reddit thread where I found the above; Ciabatta (1982), Tiramisu (1960s). On the flip side you have Gatorade, which I always thought was a recent (Past 30 years or so) idea, but it's been around for double that, since the 60s.

TIL the highest and lowest points of elevation in the contiguous US are only 85 miles apart

I was also surprised Vegas and Aspen were surprisingly close on the map, although they are further apart. But total desert and snow resort so close by is something we are just not used to in the Eurasian side of things wow.

Today I learned that fax machines are still a thing in 2023, and that there’s an entire industry associated with them. An industry that’s expected to grow by over 11 percent each year over the next four years!

(And also, that the ability to send a fax is apparently attractive enough of a feature for companies to charge a whole $100 extra just to have it included on a printer. As in, that’s the only difference between that and the cheaper printer. Where would you even connect the phone line to…?)

TIL there is an NBA team, the Denver Nuggets, that take pride of the 5.280 feet elevation of their stadium, for they believe it puts their opponents at a disadvantage.

Probably super normal for the average US citizen to know, but for me it was just "woah".

TIL the average weight for cats. It varies depending on the breed but for most domestic cats, you can take 10 pounds (4-4.5 kg) as an ideal weight. Certain larger breeds can weigh as much as 25 pounds (11 kg) and smaller breeds can weigh as little as 5 pounds (2.2 kg). I also learned that pedigree kittens are way overpriced in stores when you can just adopt a stray from a shelter :( it is a bit sad really

As for the reason this all started, a Greek meme that showed up today, people taking about what a great deal it is because the fruit store owner put a label that says "On sale. Cat from Syros Island, 10 euros per kilo" :)
20230815_160834.jpg

Today, I obtained a higher comprehension of what forest management is. I’m not much of a science nut but I found it very interesting. Especially with the science behind doing it can make fires not as bad.

It was also very interesting when I realized why it could be controversial. Two reasons I can think of. Doing this diverts away from the problem of climate change (not fully solving the problem) and two, not letting nature destroy itself. (In forest management, they controllably burn trees and cut+trim trees)

TIL petrel is actually a kind of bird and in no way related to petroleum lol

Not quite today, but yesterday I learned that apparently the best way to train a dog to not pee somewhere you don’t want them to is to let them sit near said spot for a while. After about twenty minutes or so staying there, they won’t want to go there anymore.

(Do not quote me on that if you have a dog of your own that you’re training, haha!)

TIL cats share 96% of their genome (DNA sequence) with tigers. They are just mini versions of it, but probably as ferocious, just good at hiding it, to the point we call them cute :)

Back
Top Bottom