• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you think of the XY saga so far?

It lacks excitement.

It lacks conflict.

Every once in a while, DP and BW did things that made me super hyped about the upcoming events, but XY hasn't had any of that so far. There are no surprises but there is also no conflict. There are no rivals that lead to interesting interactions, everything is super nice and happy and there are no legit villains in XY (we need that Malamar back!). At least BW had legit villains in form of Team Rocket when they were serious, but XY doesn't even have that! So it's kinda hard to enjoy this anime when there's no source of any strife. Even slight disagreements on a regular basis would make it a lot more enjoyable. Best Wishes, for example, had Iris who didn't put up with anyone's shit and was not afraid of being snarky which led to amusing reactions and interactions but once again, XY has none of that.

So yeah.

I mean, Serena's character is finally going somewhere and I'm very happy about that.

But we seriously need a good, a-hole-ish rival or Team Flare.

Something needs to stir things up.

XY has been a little lackluster thus far, but it has had its up and downs just like every other series before it.

I must agree that it has been following a pretty predictable pattern up to present. Serena's upcoming Performance debut should add a little variety; I was always a big fan of having May and Dawn to provide a story of there own while pursing their goals. I'm still unsure as to just how exciting Serena's Performance story will be, but atleast it will add a nice diversion to gym battles. The lack of a distinctive rival for Ash makes me wonder how the Kalos League will ultimately play out, but the gym battles along the way have been good so I am content on that matter for now. I am extremely disappointed with Team Rockets role so far in the series. They seem to be stuck in limbo between their pre-BW comical selves and the secret-agent villains they became in BW. More so, I still feel that they don't get any real development any more. They usually just show up try to do something evil and then get blasted off. At least Wobbuffet is there as a bit of a throw-back to the good ol' days. That aside, I am extremely curious to see what kind of a resolution they'll give AmourShipping.

So those are my two main reasons for sticking with this series: to see if Ash's League performance will be different from any of the other regions and to see how things between Ash and Serena pan out.

Overall a good saga so far, not stellar, but definitely more interesting than some. To date I give it an 8.5 out of 10.

Last edited:
I'd just like to say how subtly Ash's very important influence on his new friends has been handled.
His enthusiasm, optimism, belief in his Pokemon & his never-say-die attitude have been key factors in both Clemont's growth as a Gym leader & Serena's increasing self-confidence

Loooooveeee it. It's becoming more mature. Well at least in the Jap version, Pokemon is taking a different step with this sagas then with any other

Loving it so far. Serena's new enthusiasm, Citron being a serious gym leader, Ash being the mature leader of the group, and cute little Bonnie the mascot... the group is so entertaining. Plus, I love how there are no jerkish rivals. There is no need for one and I'm sure the writers learned their lessons with how it went last time they introduced a jerkish rival for Ash. No one is putting down Ash or any of the group members, and it's so refreshing to see none of those snarky remarks from mean characters. There isn't a set villain yet, but the Mega Evolution specials are making up for the lack of seriousness in the tv series, displaying a more dark tone featuring Alain. And that is entertaining on its own as well.

Everything looks fine for me. 10/10

I really enjoy the Japanese version of X/Y so far even though I don't understand much of it but the subs help with that. I really like the BGM they use for the emotional scenes and battles eg. using Snowbelle city music for Serena's mess up at her first Pokemon Performance and Laverre City music for the Serena and Ash childhood flashback. The dub is not as enjoyable since they replace most of the BGM music with generic music that doesn't give the same emotion. If the dub just kept the X/Y game music it would be much better.
X/Y in general, I really think Ash is more mature and stronger than in BW. I really like his companions Serena, Clement, and Bonnie. Serena's character development started off slow but it seems to have picked up lately knowing she wants to be a Pokemon Performer and I really like her Pancham. Clement is interesting with his inventions, the names he comes up for them, and they always blow up and I like his Chespin always causing trouble. Bonnie is cute with her Dedenne

I'd just like to say how subtly Ash's very important influence on his new friends has been handled.
His enthusiasm, optimism, belief in his Pokemon & his never-say-die attitude have been key factors in both Clemont's growth as a Gym leader & Serena's increasing self-confidence

I totally I agree! Instead of Ash being the kid in the group, he finally stepped up as a leader. His attitude changed over the sagas. He went from being immature and reckless to responsible Pokemon trainer and an amazing influence on his friends. Ash is finally growing ladies and gentlemen!

After watching XY saga 70 episodes deep in my feelings changed about quite a few things, so i figured it would be appropriate to give update on my impressions and opinions roughly half a year later:

Like i said before it started of decent with Ash regaining back his maturity and experience radiating with new fesh optimism and much higher determination than ever before to finally win league and make step forward in dream of becoming pokemon master.

Clemont and Bonnie introduction was bumptious and spontaneous just joining Ash on his adventure. Finding themselves more comfortable in his company, let alone Ash confidence, bravery and brash, rush nature of his sparking Clemont interest.

And seeing bits of Serena life before joining Ash was experimental, but endearing way to make viewers caught onto anime wanting to see more and in what yay her meeting up with Ash will look like,.

However from than and until Summer camp things largely stagnated with barely any character development happening. Little to no conflict or some sense of danger accompanying protagonists on journey. No rivals for anyone, build up toward anything or some main plot for Ash and co to follow aside from gym quest(either manifested through subplots like regional villains, GS ball, traveling companions dreams etc).

Perhaps biggest disappointment steered from Serena character herself imo. Being fairly generic and one dimensional in her interaction with others and characterization. In my opinion anyway. Aimlessly following Ash, being borderline submissive and heavily insecure staying on side from most action. With no goals, no personal agenda, no pokemon aside from Fennekin and substantial impact on XY plot or other characters for that matter. It also didnt help that her feelings for Ash were just randomly tucked with pretty contrived retcon of Ash childhood.

All of sudden there existing small girl from Summer school which didnt existed in Ash past for 16 years and couldnt in reality exist because she comes from 6th generation games.

Things im satisfied with:
For all my displeases and doubts ever since Summer Camp started and onwards many things started to make more sense in way characters and plot was weived from writer side.

I came to apppreciate how in Serena situation writers tried something different and experimental in pokemon series. They wanted to unfold her character in slow, gradual way(granted this was applied in Misty case arguably too starting to grow and mature emotionally in spaced out, subtle way but with Serena its applied in form of more constructive story arcs).

Finding out what she wants from life, where she see herself in pokemon world and surrounding along with friends helping to gain more determination and confidence. Starting to become more relatable and meaningful character once she caught new pokemon, established new friendships and rivalries(like Shauna), deciding what fulfills her in life trying to become pokemon performer. Mustering strength to stand up to her mother fighting for life path she wants to follow(something Grace actually condoned but wanted to be sure daughter wont be a quitter) and going through symbolic change.

In leaving her past self full of doubts, insecurity and fears behind reborning in light of more decisive, resolved, filled with security in herself and assertive.

,Meeting with Kalos queen Aria only further solidified this new resolve in Serena life building on her selfesteem.

Turning in gratifying and so far pretty decent job from writer side. Starting to differentiate herself as more constructive female.

Clemont is one of wild cards in here, but pleasant ones nonetheless. Appreciating bold and pretty delicate way in which his character and story are handled. You could tell he definitely changed and gained something from travels with Ash becoming more courageous, adamant and confident in his own abilities. Strengthen on relationship with his younger sister and used Ash as moral guideline. Through which his character became more sure of his own judgments and abilities.

Decision of wanting to leaves Ash and co for awhile feeling he wont be able to give proper and strong enough fight was admittedly refreshing change in series known for repetition. And it made lot of sense. Both from story standpoint in Clemont wanting to spend some time alone, think through about various things and develop strartegy with which Ash wont be familiar. Something it would be hard to pass unnoticed if he was in group.

But such move of main traveling companion leaving company for awhile created anther positive effect. In building up on suspense and expectation of long awaited battle with Ash. Giving audience break from his antics, personality and silly escapades.

To maintain interest and appreciate role, humor and variety Clremont presence brougnt to pokemon anime all that more for whatever new tasks and storyline he may play important role afterwards(hopefully there will be more in store for him).

Unfortunately clash didnt maintained high expectations whole build up hyped around this match. Being kinda anticlimactic and rushed lasting for only one episode with no more attention payed to Ash/Clemont friendship and how this battle affected them. Having to be on opposite sides. if But i guess at very least that skirmish served as test in how much Clemont gained from knowing Ash and if what he learned helped him to become srronger, more balanced trainer.

Even though episode itself didnt reflected that well enough.

Ash could use more depth to his expressions and perdsonality. But hes been handled in interesting way so far. Lot of taboo subjects were breaked with him in this series. Whether there is talk about pokemon team with his water start for first time evolving in history and water pokemon evolving in general ever since Kingler glory days.

Capture of another dragon type Goomy who evolved all the way to pseudo legendary Goodra added new, more experienced light to his character. Which again didnt lasted for long due to Goodra ending released after very short period of time bringing in question point of capturing it in first place. Unless its not permanent being planned to return like Gliscor/Charizard did.

But not just pokemon, there is also increase of his logic thinking and improvisation as trainer with strategy becoming more sophisticated. One of his better highlights leaving positive impression on me was use of Froakie/Frogadier frubble to protect itself from poison gas or powder from Weepinbell in Coumatrine gym. In super flying cut Ash worked on developing for Hawlucha or using Pikachu agility to jump on sphere produced by Lucario serving as stepping stone to land hit on opponent.

Not to mention im kinda enjoying in Ash protective, guardian like nature, Looking after his new friends as more experuenced older brother being one to give advices, teach them new things and radiate with big passion and resolve to finally win league making big step forward in coming closer to long desired dream. With his goofy, gluttonous nature, Naive and enthusiastic side with added undertones of hotheaded, stubborn behavior.

Complimenting nicely his characer, even though someione who could instigate him and extract more of his personality on surface like Misty used to do with teasing, brash remarks or fiery nature pointing on his flaws wouldnt hurt at all.

Im starting to enjoy Jessie and James in Kalos series with each day more and more as well.

Having several heartfelt episodes lately. From James touching bond with Inkay, their silly attempts to steal most stupid things like cheese(out of hunger among other reasons one could say). Jessie entering pokemon performance using unorthodox and crazy apporoach with hilarious requisites like whip.

Although truth to be told i would much rather like if James could enter some side events himself getting 5 minutes of glory. Like he did with Pokeringer or Orientering in past sagas.

Of course i wouldnt be honest if i acted like im content with everything happening in Kalos series, so here are;

Things im not so satisfied about:

-whole tone of Kalos at least so far seem super sappy, lighthearted and kiddified like Ash and co are in "lala land". I mean i get how people like change of pace where thzere would be no sarcasm, arguing, occasional friction or uptight atmosphere. And there did happened couple of times urgent situations.

But in general XY are too positive with no real danger occuring on horizon. There are no real rivals which would question hero abilities. Push someone to advance foreard, criticize Ash or Serena putting their skills to shame. Serving as vector in main protagonists having obstacle infront of themselves wanting to surpass and prove their worth earning thus respect.

I mean there is Sanpei, Tierno or Shauna i suppose. But they dont really deliver that being super nice and friendly blending in general atmosphere of XY series themselves.

Although there is Shota who might be promising based on way opening depicted him tracking after Ash footsteps.

There are no real villains which would jeopardize Ash and other in main anime.

I guess this might change heavily once Alain meets with Ash with mega evolution specials story merging with main anime. And finally Team Flare and Lysandre will be making big debut hopefully shaking up current journey delivering more mature plots involved within XY series. Something they could be more than capable of delivering if at least fraction of what game plot was about in exterminating life on earth to create "better future" would be incorporated.

So depending on how that goes and if it leads toward something meaningful my thoughts might change about it.
But still i feel things are taking too long to introduce ounce of strife, some drama and tension leaving you anxious about whats going to happen to main cast and story as whole. Taking away from credibility of journey itself which wont always be sprinkled with joy, rainbows and sunny atmosphere.

However ill admit that announced Alain, Team Flare introduction etc are step in right direction.

-same issue applies to main group dynamics.
XY cast started right of the bat in everyone being super nice, positive and caring toward each other.

Starting to act like their "best friends" despite being strangers which never saw each other in life continuing on with this train of happiness, optimism and sugar coated atmosphere ever since.

With Ash, Serena, Clemont and Bonnie chemistry as far as friendship goes lacking in my opinion diversity to their emotions and behavior. They never disagree between themselves(barring Clemont and Bonnie rare incidents). Let alone argue or get into strife over something.

There is never present teasing between themselves followed with wise jokes and remarks even if out of endeavour(which friends like to do being sign of strong relationship getting familiarized with each other so much that they know how far they can go without crossing the line). There is never any competitive spirit with everyone being suiper supportive, friendly and happy go lucky.

Making their interactions feel tasteless, surreal and in my honest opinion limited. Barring few highlights.

-I like Bonnie enthusiasm, innocent curiosity and desire not to be left out from action. But still regardless of being too young to be trainer, have pokemon or just fulfiling role as "fourth wheel". Some more character development wouldn't hurt imo to gain from her.

Such as learning from encounters with all kind of pokemon how not all of them are "cute, friendly and interesting" as she may thought. Making her reevaluate her initial stance.

Learn through observation of her friend battles sometime entering matches herself about new sophisticated strategies, tricks and improvisations in using pokemon in battles. Feeling like she drawed valuable lessons from travels with Ash serving as stepping stone in having some background when she becomes old enough to become trainer and start her own venture.

Learning more about her affinities, hobbies and dreams diving in past would be sweet to see as well. Perhaps explaining from where this urge to find wife for brother Clemont orginates from. With Bonnie possinly wanting that her brother finds wife, so that older girl could act as supllement for absence of mother in her life, Receiving love and affection father and brother couldnt deliver to her.

Ok thats too deep for this anime. But learning more about her character in some shape or form would help bring more dimension and appeal to character. I guess i simply want that we gain more from writers second attempt at having too young of person to be trainer than it happened with Max.

-lastly; this is more my selfish desire than anything else. But it would be nice if writers break pattern from previous series leting some of older, long forgotten characters returning in Kalos playing important role in storyline. Instead of just getting obligatory follow up from companions who left in previous series(Iris and maybe Cilasn). Getting build up on their story, allowing to learn new things and go forward having already background, experience and established relationship with Ash and others(like Misty or May).

Last edited:
What I like:
- They are giving the characters some development. The show still revolves around Ash but the other guys have their moments as well.
- Ash is back to being the Ash he was in AG.
- Pikachu has been nerfed less often than they usual nerfed him in the earlier stages.

What I don't like:
- No real threat to the crew. TR is still around but now they have been reduced to the characters they were pre-BW.
- No new villains have come in yet, which will prolly change in a few months.
- Serena's new design was unnecessary. (She cried after losing her first performance? :?) Wouldn't it make sense for her to change the style after she failed to become Kalos Queen?? I guess the fan's distant about the lack of focus on her kinda made the writers think for a quick fix...but still...
- Lack of "evil" rivals. Everybody is too lovey-dovey to each other. Paul and to some extent Trip was the rivals everybody wanted to see Ash beat so bad because they weren't likable characters and were set up to look just as bad as a villain.

The Average:

- The group chemistry. Before I never got why people thought that group chemistry was one of pokeani's good points, but overall I like this group's chemistry. I love how everyone is trying to help each other. I would like to see a little more disagreement but tbh, the group is a lot more interesting when they're working together this series. I mean the not getting on episodes aren't bad but they tend to feel like petty squabbles we've seen a hundred times before, whereas the times when they're working together, they show a resealisience that I admire. Indeed, the dynamic between Eureka and Citron is excellent. If the group dynamic could at least reach the level of the interaction between Citron and Satoshi across the group than I would be very happy. All that's really needed is that when the characters disagree it needs to feel more interesting than petty.

- Satoshi. I really enjoy that his skills are back to DP levels. I do miss some of his Satoshi moments, but of late that's been improving so I don't mind too much.

The Awesome:

- Eureka. Best travel partner ever. Okay, why do I like Eureka so much? Because she's not just a moe moe character. Yes, she's cute, but she's also a little cruel. I love how fearless she is and how she really wants to be a trainer already and yet how she's also proudly a little kid. She's also very much a pokemon fan and loves pokemon, even the ones that she would be expected to dislike. It's really neat to see that she finds lots of pokemon cute, even if the other's find them scary. Also, I'm loving the amount of variation on her gag from early on. I already know I'm really going to miss her when she leaves.
- Citron. Whilst I fear his writing might go downhill in the future, there isn't much to complain about with Citron. I love the amount of attention he's been getting and the logic he applies to things. Also, he's really awesome for bringing awesomeness out of other people. Plus I love his interactions with Eureka from his frustations to his support.
- The Battles. So awesome and I'm loving the way that it's using logic and being nicely animated.

The bad:
- I'm hesitent to put anything here since the shows surprising me all the time with it's writing. :p

I have been really enjoying it so far, and it is the only anime series that I have actually watched as soon as an episode is released!

Ash has actually got some proper skill now, similar to DP. His team is not the best balance-wise (in short, electric types would wreck his current team) but the team really works well and I suppose that's what matters. The characters also have some real chemistry going on, which I like. Ash and Clemont are like brothers and we all know about Ash and Serena...

Team Rocket have also gotten a big role, w̶h̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶o̶b̶v̶i̶o̶u̶s̶l̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶B̶E̶S̶T̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ .

Really for my from now i really like it even so i don't see it too much, however ash's past still experience still inside the show in this season. BW was good and i really like however three things make me hate BW. Anyway, Serena is so enjoyable and ash's group also but serena is the best from them.

To me, their is unfair to let the fans choose the winner of kalos queen. Look to the serena's episode when she lose. She didn't do anything but because ash, clemont (citron), and his sister are serena's friend they chose her but next time i feel she will her best and i hope that for her and for Jessie too.

One thing I am araid about that Iris will back in XY. Let cilan back what i will like. I am afraid about iris back too much, Because i know from the start episode when she return, she will win and how ask the writers (you know what i mean, I mean out of no where), she will say "You are such a kid" for nothing or for stupid reason like her. Her special heart will back for her. She will catch another stupid pokemon for final stage like Stupid Dragonite. Also, i am wondering about something. Did Axew will learn hyperbeam, or Roar of time or special rend in XY. this possible, because he is special, have stupidly unnatural power out of no where and can do these power attacks who you naturally learn it after reach to final stage and training final stage 20 level maybe and how axew learn them i don't know so we must count in writes for making axew learn hyperbeam, or Roar of time or special rend in XY. If he did a hyperbeam then this will be a big explotion in this anime and to me to because this attack can't by learned by any pokemon except final stage however dragonair is the special so i am count in you writers to make axew learn hyperbeam. The same to Roar of time or special rend, these two attack are dragon types attack however special to dialga (Roar of time) and palkia (special rend) and no one can learn them from dragon type. But their is no impossible with axew.
Second thing, she has now Dragonite and gible, what will next when she will appears in XY.

The one who can stop her is Serena, because she likes ash more than anything and she liked pokemon because he helped her. And she is one that can't enable anyone that hurt ash so please don't be a friend with iris and her pokemons please Serena. So i think now you no the first thing that make me hate BW even it was enjoyable to me. The second thing is trip, his story and his pokemons. The third and final reason, is Cameron, his story and his pokemons.

And finally, isn't the time to make ash win the leauge or let a one girl win a leauge. Before the boys win the leauges and i think it is time to girl to win or to ash

Last edited:
I really like XY so far.

I watched the first episodes with extremely low expectations due to BW. I was mostly checking it out for the heck of it. I was pleasantly surprised, and I continued watching it. It helps that I hadn't watched anything Pokemon for a very long time. I never finished the DP series and I watched only parts of BW here and there. I found myself enjoying the series a lot, even when they re-used plots and concepts. Lately, I've started re-watching the AG series, too.

I really love the current main group. I think they feel like a group of really good friends, and whilst others might find their chemistry lacking or boring, to me I think they work great. Plus, they are all like-able and adorable to me. Ash isn't too bad either. At least he wasn't reset to a newbie again. The animation is really nice. It has some great shots and angles. The Gym Battles usually have some fantastic animation. I also love the soundtracks (I know most are based off the game ones). Some of the background art is lovely. You can see how much the art of the anime has improved over the years when you compare it with older seasons.

I do have a few complaints over how they handled certain things, such as Serena's character arc thus far, but for the most part I find it enjoyable and I'm satisfied. It entertains me so that's good enough for me! I do wish to see Ash go, though. I think it's high time that they change the anime's formula or they bring a completely new cast, with a new story. I would have loved seeing Pokemon Special animated, but that's probably not going to happen.

As common as my opinion is: I love XY so far :) and the reasons are just too many to count:
• The original Pokemon Theme for the first dubbed season! The BEST surprise I have had watching this anime in decades! That just threw me back to the days of me watching the Original Series back when I was a kid, and I just loved that feeling
• The animation quality is awesome and paired with that, the fact that they borrow a lot of features introduced in the games lately to make the anime more "dynamic", such as the close-up shots on pokemon during battle being better and more in sync with the overall battle, the short animation beforehand showing the "Ash vs Grant" shot which I really love too.
• Ash is again a strong trainer, and now he is facing the best gym leaders since Sinnoh. At least now every gym leader he meets is a strong trainer in their own right, and it doesnt feel like the surskit from the first gym badge is a level 10 useless bug type that would be defeated with a simple peck, if only Ash knew to battle (which is exactly what all of Best Wishes felt like). Now Ash faces a strong challenge from every gym leader right from the start.
• His battling style is back on track, and on-par with what we know from the Battle Frontier Saga, though obviously not quite yet at the Sinnoh level, but thats normal, he s just getting to know his pokemon.
• I hate Iris and disliked a lot of features from Cilian (mostly his Connoisseur thing), but I really like the dynamic created by Clemont, Bonnie and Serena. They re all very likeable, and although it took a while for Serena to figure out what she wanted to do, now she has her own goals and hopefully she ll be as good as Dawn was.

These are just my main reasons for liking the new series, especially after I had given up on the anime altogether back in BW (right after Iris got her Dragonite). At the time I was so disappointed and annoyed that I quit watching, though I kept buying and playing the games. But playing without watching the anime felt a bit.. incomplete. I like pursuing both simultaneously and discovering the games as Ash discovers the region he s in.

Also as a final point, I should add that the Decolore Islands saga was actually really good, and created a nice positive build-up to XY. So BW did end up on a positive note, especially with the short return of Charizard and the episode with Claire.

It's a disappointing series tbh. It feels like everything is just about Ash, Pikachu, and Team Rocket while the other characters just get shafted or have no real development. The fillers are pretty much below mediocre at this point and I feel that Ash has become a Gary Stu recently especially after the last 2 gym battles and how everyone seems to be looking up to him. The only episodes I find that are good are the episodes that focus on Serena and she doesn't get many; like 8 or so. I also find Clemont really dull and I feel that Bonnie gets way too much screentime and doesn't get any character development at all.

Not awful as Best Wishes series but still not heroic enough as Original series. I must have said that before and here I go once again: Writers need to pull themselves together and make something for adult watchers instead of 5 year old thing. My childhood legend is just fading away day by day.

I guess someone need to rewatch the original series, and realize how bad it was. I know nostalgia is a factor but if you really look back OS is probably around the level as BW, boring writing, undeveloped traveling companions, boring fillers (actually BW did better at fillers), Team Rocket in almost every episode (again BW did better), Ash being incompetent and gaining badges through chores (BW don't have that), defying type logics (Aim for the Horn lolz) etc.

The only excuse for OS is Ash just started out his journey and isn't experienced yet, but then we only took away the problem with Ash being incompetence. Other than its its plain horrible, thats why I don't get why some people says OS is good. Its bad, nostalgia just made it felt better than it ever was.

And I agree that nostalgia is in fact a factor, thats why in my list OS is still above BW. (In case you don't know my constant complain of BW)

To be fair BW also has the unfortunate treatment for being after DP, if you look it as an individual instead of continuity, BW is in fact better than OS by miles, but again nostalgia is a factor that I agree with.

Btw OS is so much more childish than XY, I don't get why the writing is for 5 years old. The episodes in XY sometimes get darker and mature than any episode in OS except some TR with guns and boobs on beach, which are things people may agree being inappropriate in a child's show but I personally didn't mind it at all, and actually find these 'violence' and 'sexuality' boring. In XY, the understanding of death and accepting the fact that someone died is actually deep and I enjoyed them.

The pursuit of dreams is way more real than in OS, which is just Ash's dream and Ash's alone which, in fact, Ash is making too little of a progress while helping CotD along the way.

And his league lost even felt boring and don't make me mad at all, even on Charizard when I rewatched it recently. I think Johto and Hoenn is the only times that Ash lost fair and square in my book. And among those Ash lost unfairly, in DP we got Ash losing to Trollbias with legendaries, in BW Ash losing to a complete rookie and in OS, Ash's Chrizard got disqualified. Among these three, the most boring one is, in fact, the one in OS, because it gave me zero emotions, I didn't even get mad, its like the league never happened.

So I don't know what are you talking about like at all, especially the writing for 5 years old part meanwhile praising OS, its just a huge contradiction.

I don't watch the anime much (I stopped watching it consistently after DP ended) because I usually wake up too late. However, from what I've seen, I really love Serena's character in that she's an actual outright love interest for Ash. That, and her voice is light-years above pretty much every dub voice. It sounds like flowing chocolate and caramel, basically.

Serena's voice is a liquid Milky Way.

I'm hungry now. Well, guess there's no shame in hitting up Taco Bell at 2:30 in the morning.

I guess someone need to rewatch the original series, and realize how bad it was. I know nostalgia is a factor but if you really look back OS is probably around the level as BW, boring writing, undeveloped traveling companions, boring fillers (actually BW did better at fillers), Team Rocket in almost every episode (again BW did better), Ash being incompetent and gaining badges through chores (BW don't have that), defying type logics (Aim for the Horn lolz) etc.

The only excuse for OS is Ash just started out his journey and isn't experienced yet, but then we only took away the problem with Ash being incompetence. Other than its its plain horrible, thats why I don't get why some people says OS is good. Its bad, nostalgia just made it felt better than it ever was.

And I agree that nostalgia is in fact a factor, thats why in my list OS is still above BW. (In case you don't know my constant complain of BW)

To be fair BW also has the unfortunate treatment for being after DP, if you look it as an individual instead of continuity, BW is in fact better than OS by miles, but again nostalgia is a factor that I agree with.

Btw OS is so much more childish than XY, I don't get why the writing is for 5 years old. The episodes in XY sometimes get darker and mature than any episode in OS except some TR with guns and boobs on beach, which are things people may agree being inappropriate in a child's show but I personally didn't mind it at all, and actually find these 'violence' and 'sexuality' boring. In XY, the understanding of death and accepting the fact that someone died is actually deep and I enjoyed them.

The pursuit of dreams is way more real than in OS, which is just Ash's dream and Ash's alone which, in fact, Ash is making too little of a progress while helping CotD along the way.

And his league lost even felt boring and don't make me mad at all, even on Charizard when I rewatched it recently. I think Johto and Hoenn is the only times that Ash lost fair and square in my book. And among those Ash lost unfairly, in DP we got Ash losing to Trollbias with legendaries, in BW Ash losing to a complete rookie and in OS, Ash's Chrizard got disqualified. Among these three, the most boring one is, in fact, the one in OS, because it gave me zero emotions, I didn't even get mad, its like the league never happened.

So I don't know what are you talking about like at all, especially the writing for 5 years old part meanwhile praising OS, its just a huge contradiction.

I beg to differ.
Original series still had strongest continuity from any other subsequent series, sense of progression made with characters like Ash, Misty and Brock feeling like they have been growing and learning new things on their journey. Changing in emotional aspect with gradual and notable chabnges in their personalities, strength of bond between them as friends which growed and breaking free from persnalm struggles, disthrust and misconceptoon made it feel like they gained something from their journey maturing greatly as individuals. Producing more endearing and organic type of dynamic which had more dimension to itself than BW or XY cast had in reality.

There wasnt much progression on goals, exploration of pokemon personalities etc, but in advance there was put bigger accent of exploration of humans themselves, their thoughts, past and friendship. It also contained darker and more original outlook on world(whether we are talking about Mewtwo story, persons with distorted personalities like Sabrina, Brock or Misty sad backgrounds coming from disfunctional families having to quickly grow up and learn how to take care of themselves, apocalyptic scenarios such as Pokemopolis legend, use of guns, bombs, missile launchers, gym leaders and people being portrayed as rough, opportunists and grey in their interactions giving impression of pokeworld being dangerous,tough place. Where there doesnt bloom just brightness. But actual challenges, difficulties and hazard situations where you can easily be hurt , even killed if you dont learn how to take care of yourself quickly.

With main messaga being put on adventure, emotion and exploring all kind of mysteries in pokemon world with writers being bold enough to deviate from games and add their own touch into storyline. With mixed results, but still enjoyable nonetheless.

As much as i appreciate some of new innovations taking place in Kalos/XY eries. Such as Ash water pokemon finally evolving, having 2 girls in main cast at same time, somewhat original approach writers took with Serena being lost in her thoughts and fantasies not knowing what is her purpose in life taking time to discover it.

XY saga as whole is so far mediocre for me being infinitely wrse than OS(it cannot be nostalgia either because i rewatched them fully last year).

I mostly like XY because of well written battles, Clemont character and his fairly realistic personality and you could say Ash determination and more mature levelheaded characterization adds different kind of flavor to him. Although more emotion and diversity to his persnality would be highly appreciated.

Everything else is underwhelming. Tone of series is too positive, sweet and sappy. There is no conflict, no drama, no tension or something to shake things up. Group chemistry is bad as well with everyone acting like they live in lala land being super friendly, supportive even when someone does stupid things and nice 24/7.

No one ever argues, gets in diagreement, express annoyance over other person imperfections trying to find common language with each other serving as way to show how friendship grew actually.

There is almost never teasing, joking, sarcastic remarks either or some misunderstanding leading to funny situations. Rainbows and sunflowers everywhere which makes dynamic fairly unrealistic, vapid and one dimensional. Even rivals who usually are source of tension, drama and challenge giving to protagonists reason to improve. Challenge and motivation putting in question Ash and others competence and preparation as trainer.

Act super friendly and considerate not representing any tests, obstacle to overcome. Defeating their purpose behind existence in first place.

Most of all there is no main story which would bring identity to region as whole. Something unrelated to main character careers which influence pacing, direction to follow on its own, Ash and others which every other region had. Such as exploring Orange Islands and building things up on relationship between Ash and Misty working toward conquering league becoming champoion, TR organization, Whirl islands and GS ball in Johto, regional villains such as Team Aqua, Team Magma, Galactic, Hunter J or big fleshed out rivalry which Paul for example delivered. Adding more maturity to story that way.

Everything is based on gyms, Serena beauty events(which arent that much excitong wishing if some sort of skirmish was present there)and occasional TR popping in trying to steal foood, pokemon etc. taking away from unpredictability and thrill of adventure itself.

Now announce of Alain from mega evolution specials and Lysandre story overlaping with main anime might change this for better. But its too early to tell with current story being underwhelming for most part.

Overall im sorry to say but i have to agree with above poster of Original series containing more entertainment and ill say mature plots in way story and untangling of human personalities and ambitions was delivered, than i can say for XY to be case right now, let alone BW.

Last edited:
Well, when I watch the show, I tend to really enjoy it...Ash is looking great as a trainer, his battles have been fun to watch both visually and tactically, Serena's whole arc is charming and easy to relate to, I like the positive atmosphere of the group, and its just generally relaxing to me.

At the same time, I'm not really that invested in it. I remember back in DP, I was HYPED for many of the events like the Sinnoh League, Paul rivalry, Hunter J, Team Galactic and even Dawn's Contests. I wanted to see more of the show, and I cared about the direction of the story. Now, its a bit more of a passing interest. I like it, but I don't really go out of my way for it anymore. There isn't as much happening. That, and I generally lost my fire for the show after BW...

Although I do still go out of my way for the Mega Evolution Specials, since they're a delicious visual treat. But that's another story.

Last edited:

Well normally you put up a good point when you debate about OS but this time I completely disagree and think you didn't even try to make a convincing statement.

The character development of OS never came gradual, when some development happened, it takes so long for the change to surface as the characters are not focus a lot. Like a character had a development but only after 30 or more episode before the character got focused again. Its in fact horrible way of handling a character growth as when the episode the character is focused is aired, you might have forgotten what had happened before that caused the change, and the change felt came from nowhere. The time gap totally denies your argument on character growth. And their character growth is nowhere near convincing due to them being so not focused for such a long time. How can one people change so much after a single event in such a long journey? Instead of multiple events occurring, they got one event at a time that changes them almost completely, which is in fact why OS is horrible. And DID Ash and Misty ever developed a convincing friendship? You probably made it up in your mind. All I remember is a debt collector stalking Ash around until Ash felt comfortable with it, and the writer just kinda let her blend it.

Mewtwo's back story is a great point you brought up to kinda make your point worst. The first movie was cannon is the only reason this count as a point, other series has their own very mature movies, that just isn't cannon. Putting the movie into this argument makes your point too reliant on a movie. Sabrina's back story is a one episode thing. Misty and Brock's family is probably the only functional point here, but they are bought up only once (or maybe twice) in a long damn series.

The Anime being deviate from the game is applied to every series, not just OS, point irrelevant.

Tone is too positive in XY is another irrelevant point. If you want a negative tone, you shouldn't even be watching Pokemon, its never known for a negative tone, you might have just chose the wrong show.

The nonexistence of arguments in the group makes the interaction too friendly is true, but there is no joking and teasing among them? OOK, we might be watching a different show. And you have friend just because you can argue with them? I thought its just a way where friendships develop, not a necessity. So you mean you actually hate your helpful and considerate friend? You better go tell them that, I am sure they would be grateful to know what kind of friend you are.

So you are arguing that the concept of death is less mature than the likes of missles, guns, boobs. OK its your opinion, but I think that says a lot about you. See it as an insult if you want, whether if it was my real intention its your guess.

The conveyance of the Pokemon World being dangerous is a thing? OK this one I actually respect your opinion but I don't care much about it.

Gym Leaders on the other hand, they are supposed to give a test to trainers and hand out a badge, being rough, opportunists and grey in their interactions is wrong from every angle, even in the games. So I don't get you.

Oh so XY has well written battles while OS had more challenges? You mean Charizard pulling off an illegal move out of nowhere in a Gym Battle, pulling off type defying moves in a battle or mid-battle evolution and pulling off a new move in the process, one of them makes OS more challenging? OK, I am so done with this.

Tripokalon having no battle is a problem? OK, at first someone talked about deviation from the games, and them someone talked about the lack of battle. Fine, I don't know how to take you seriously anymore. And anything about Gym are things we call NON-FILLERS. So you are praising that OS had a crazy amount of fillers where XY actually had progression? Mind = Blown.

TR popping out to steal food or Pikachu...... of course! You are right! They appear at a rate less than XY in OS right? Yeah! Totally. Good point there. I see where you are going.

HAH! Nostalgia isn't a factor!

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom