• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who does Ash love?

Who does Ash love?

• Kasumi (Misty)

Votes: 183 50.7%
  • Haruka (May)

Votes: 63 17.5%
  • Hikari (Dawn)

Votes: 63 17.5%
  • Other female character (please specify)

Votes: 52 14.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
And Cat Silver, don't bash May here.

Oops, I phrased that wrong apparently. I meant pathetic as a -match- with Ash. She's a cool character and she battles really well, with cool Pokemon. =D She's great with her brother too. I just think the pair of them as a match would be annoying and boring. They don't don't fit together right, it's more of a friend's thing in my eyes. Maybe a touch of mentor thing too.

>_> If anyone calls me a Misty elitist again I'll laugh at them. I will laugh so hard, my face will fall off and they will be forced to clean up the mess. Let me reiterate: -Not- a het shipper unless under special circumstances. Misty is in no case a special circumstance.

They don't do much together now that she has run off to Johto with Drew. :p

We might as well admit that Ash is pretty clueless to the idea of romance. Though I'll admit, I like the idea of him with Sabrina...

Ash has the hots for Drew.

Maybe also Shinji, but maybe that's more of a love-to-hate thing.

Pwah, why is it only female characters we're talking about? Booo~

Okay, seriously the boy loves no one. But I'd prefer him with May over the three main female characters. :/

Oh really? So Misty having basic conversation with him and not caring that she has to return to the Cerulean Gym anymore isn't any different?
Contention. Misty was rather miffed that she had to go back to the Cerulean Gym when her sisters kept on bugging her to go back. Plus she made the effort to go to Pallet Town in the first place, causing that back log of gym challengers.

Their goodbyes at the end of the Cleffa episode was similar to saying goodbye to any filler character. They just turned around and walked off, and didn't even bother waving to her goodbye like they used to.

Misty didn't even walk up to Ash in that ep and say goodbye to him one on one, she just turned around and walked off.
Yes, nothing proves the existence of a one-sided ship that a character always hides from the other character like a irrelevent and minor goodbye that has no bearing on their relationship.

So again, their character interaction was pretty much the consistent from 2001 in those episodes since Misty would prefer that no one know about her crush on Ash.

Pretty sad, huh?

Considering Misty probably won't be seen again until Ash returns home from Shinou, I love how Pokeshippers are going to spend the next 3 years without any Ash/Misty interaction and still think the writers have it as a current plotline on their minds.

If there's a 5th gen that still uses Ash as the main character, what are you guys gonna do then? After Hikari leaves and is replaced by girl #4, and Misty continues to rot in Cerulean for another 3-4 years, then what?

Its already been 4 years of AG, plus another 4 of D/P, and possibly even another 4 of the 5th gen after that with no Pokeshipping. That's 12 years altogether, pretty shameful to hold out for 12 years of your life for something that may or may not happen. I'm sure when we're all in our 30's still waiting for Pokeshipping to happen, something can be said to be definitely wrong here.
So... Am I supposed to answer all that? All I see are lame tautologies and ad hominem against PokeShippers.

Contention. Misty was rather miffed that she had to go back to the Cerulean Gym when her sisters kept on bugging her to go back. Plus she made the effort to go to Pallet Town in the first place, causing that back log of gym challengers.

Misty was disappointed that Daisy called and demanded her back at the Gym so quickly, and when Daisy said she'd just hand out badges for free, Misty got annoyed.

It has nothing to do with her love for darling Ash. It simply has to do with the fact that she probably wanted to stay with her friends for a *tiny* bit longer before returning to the Gym. After all, Misty said in the episode before she was only going to travel with them up to Mt. Moon anyway, and she never gets to see her friends anymore otherwise, so that's what makes the most sense.

Oh, and the Mastermind special shows her priding herself as the Cerulean Gym leader and there was nothing in that special that showed that she hates being there.

Interesting, when AG was still airing I used to argue that the writers were cementing Misty as the permanent Gym leader, and behold, I was right. And now with Hikari on board, Misty's future of ever being on the cast again looks bleak. The writers aren't going to bring Misty back when they can have a current heroine from the games on the cast instead, so that boat has also sailed, leaving Pokeshipping only 2-3 possible episodes every 3 years, most of which aren't shippy at all. The odds are not in your favor.

So again, their character interaction was pretty much the consistent from 2001 in those episodes since Misty would prefer that no one know about her crush on Ash.

Saying goodbye to Ash one on one wouldn't make Pokeshipping apparent to the other characters. May and Max barely know Misty, and Brock is apparently oblivious to it as well.

Misty simply didn't care enough.

So... Am I supposed to answer all that? All I see are lame tautologies and ad hominem against PokeShippers.

I'm just wondering why anyone would want to spend the next three years arguing for a plotline that is not in the show anymore.

It didn't work for you guys in AG, what makes you think it'll work for you in D/P, or whatever series comes after that?

Out of curiosity, has anything ever happened since the Orange Islands to imply that Ash doesn't fancy Misty any more? If they've never retconned it, does that not mean it's reasonable to speculate that Ash still likes her?

I can think of one possible piece of evidence from AG that they might have done, though. In Love At First Flight, Romeo was talking about how Juliet always made him nervous, and Ash said "that's weird. I've never been nervous before in my life". The implication was that Ash had never liked a girl, although needless to say he didn't realise that was what Romeo was talking about.

edit. Regarding Pokeshipping's supposed death through lack of exposure, I can't help thinking of Sabrina the Teenage Witch. Sabrina/Harvey was the original ship for that show; they were boyfriend/girlfriend and everything. At the end of the high-school/beginning of the college era, they broke up and seemingly went their separate ways. Though Harvey remained an infrequently-recurring secondary character, he wasn't a main, and for quite some time, Sabrina was involved in a romance with a new character, Josh. However, at the very end of the series, after so many cast shake-ups that virtually all the original characters had been replaced, Harvey came back, the writers resurrected S/H and made it the final pairing.

This didn't come out of nowhere for anyone, as far as I'm aware; S/H was part of the established backstory of the show, and, as mentioned, THE original StTW ship.

Or for another example, there's always Desperate Housewives. The original 'will they or won't they' true-love story in that show was Susan/Mike, which was a major storyline right from the first episode. However, in season 2, Susan and Mike broke up, Mike kind of melted into the background, and the bulk of the focus was on the UST between Susan and her ex-husband, Karl (and, at one point, a failed relationship between Susan/Dr. Ron). Yet it was still Susan/Mike that was the obvious 'meant to be' ship throughout, and the end of the season had a burst of shippiness that almost culminated in
a proposal - until Orson ran Mike over. Ahh, so close. :p

Season 3, again, has shown Susan and Mike as still clearly supposed to be together, yet owing to more obstacles piled in the ship's path - Mike being in a coma, Edie's lying/intefering, Ian forbidding Susan to see Mike again - they've, again, been forced to separated for now. Susan/Ian is now very solidly canon, and now Susan's told Ian she loves him, this is probably the most hopeless state S/M has ever been in. Actually, I don't totally put it past the writers to, in fact, run with Susan/Ian as the final pairing and write Susan/Mike out for good. But I was kind of beginning to feel the same way in season 2, and look what happened there.
Susan/Mike is the Ross/Rachel of DH - just like Sabrina/Harvey, or Turk/Carla (Scrubs), or - if you ask me - Ash/Misty. It doesn't matter how long the writers leave the ship hanging, not even letting the characters interact; they can, with ease, resurrect and canonise it whenever they choose, because they have that backstory to draw from. You're seriously underestimating the memory of the current audience if you're convinced otherwise. Shows don't write off all their old canon every couple of years. It's common for a long-running series to refer back on its 'glory days' when it nears the end. Sabrina did it, Buffy did it, Friends did it, This Life did it (see Miles/Anna as another example of a tenacious ship) - the list goes on.

Besides all else, you're not taking re-runs into account. :p

Neither Ash nor Misty has taken an interest in anyone else since the end of Johto, which actually means that Pokeshipping would have a much easier job regaining its canon status than any of the other ships I've talked about here.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, has anything ever happened since the Orange Islands to imply that Ash doesn't fancy Misty any more? If they've never retconned it, does that not mean it's reasonable to speculate that Ash still likes her?

This is hard to prove because most of Johto's hints were few and far inbetween and none came from Ash's side. Sure, Ash was sad to see Misty leave, but then again, he was equally sad to see Brock leave as well. He says BOTH their names as he runs off, not just Misty.

Then in the AG eps, Ash interacts with her on a firendly basis, but it never goes deeper than that. Ash didn't even ask where Misty was or how she was doing in the last AG ep when she wasn't there, so we can then say that he doesn't think of Misty before he heads off on a new journey anymore either.

Neither Ash nor Misty has taken an interest in anyone else since the end of the Johto, which actually means that Pokeshipping would have a much easier job regaining its canon status than any of the other ships I've talked about here.

Sure it would be easy to do, but it would be just as easy to pair Ash with a future female, (either Hikari or someone new), all the same. Or not pair him up with anybody, which is a pretty strong possibility at this point.

BTW, what do you guys think about Hikari cheerleading for Ash in the newest ep?

I am not going to support a Hikari X Ash shipping. But Hikari was hot. I still belive in the Pokeshipping but then you do have wild cards like May and Hikari. We know May likes Ash and Hikari is like a infatuation or something like that for now but the one that we know is Misty and I figure that somehow during D/P Misty will return and so will her Togetic so it can evolve to a Togekiss. I just know it will happen.

Togetic is in another dimension back in Hoenn and Misty has Azurill as its replacement.

Togekiss will probably be debuted some other way.

It seems to me that Ash would be best suited with Kasumi or Haruka. Hikari is just too young looking for him.

Scott85 said:
This is hard to prove because most of Johto's hints were few and far inbetween and none came from Ash's side. Sure, Ash was sad to see Misty leave, but then again, he was equally sad to see Brock leave as well. He says BOTH their names as he runs off, not just Misty.

Then in the AG eps, Ash interacts with her on a firendly basis, but it never goes deeper than that. Ash didn't even ask where Misty was or how she was doing in the last AG ep when she wasn't there, so we can then say that he doesn't think of Misty before he heads off on a new journey anymore either.
That's not answering the question. Everyone agrees there is a lack of evidence for Ash-->Misty from Johto onwards, but I asked if there has been any anti Ash-->Misty evidence over that time period. For instance, has Misty ever taken an obvious interest in another boy in Ash's presence and failed to elicit a response from him? Was Ash ever accused of liking Misty and didn't overreact? That's the kind of thing that would show that he isn't interested in her. By the sounds of it, though, Ash's side of the equation has merely been neutral from season 3 and up.

Sure it would be easy to do, but it would be just as easy to pair Ash with a future female, (either Hikari or someone new), all the same. Or not pair him up with anybody, which is a pretty strong possibility at this point.
But I didn't say Pokeshipping was the only possibility for Ash. You said Pokeshipping is now an impossibility, and I said that wasn't true.

I think pairing Ash with a girl who has already been demonstrated to like him is a slightly more credible prediction than pairing him with some hypothetical future girl who does not yet like him.

BTW, what do you guys think about Hikari cheerleading for Ash in the newest ep?
Please don't tell me people are counting that as a hint.

Dark Kratos said:
I am not going to support a Hikari X Ash shipping. But Hikari was hot. I still belive in the Pokeshipping but then you do have wild cards like May and Hikari. We know May likes Ash and Hikari is like a infatuation or something like that for now but the one that we know is Misty and I figure that somehow during D/P Misty will return and so will her Togetic so it can evolve to a Togekiss. I just know it will happen.
May likes Drew, and Hikari hasn't shown any signs of liking Ash.

Zero.//2K said:
It seems to me that Ash would be best suited with Kasumi or Haruka. Hikari is just too young looking for him.
Ash and Hikari look the same age to me...

For instance, has Misty ever taken an obvious interest in another boy in Ash's presence and failed to elicit a response from him? Was Ash ever accused of liking Misty and didn't overreact? That's the kind of thing that would show that he isn't interested in her. By the sounds of it, though, Ash's side of the equation has merely been neutral from season 3 and up.

There's been nothing anti-Pokeshipping from Ash's side in Johto, aside from his total disinterest in her romantically, so to speak. Oh wait...that could actually be considered anti in itself.

At least back in Orange Ash used to blush too, in Johto the writers never put Ash into situations like that. The fact that they stopped having Ash show any interest in her at all unlike in Kanto/Orange and Misty's side of the crush was seldom brought up must say something, perhaps the writers were disinterested with the ship themselves.

I think pairing Ash with a girl who has already been demonstrated to like him is a slightly more credible prediction than pairing him with some hypothetical future girl who does not yet like him.

Jo-Jo, its a 4 year old plotline. By the time we get into D/P, it'll be a nearly 8 year old plotline. Misty hasn't been the main female for two generations of fans now, the AG era and the D/P era.

Its possible yes, but you can just as easily say that going back to Pokeshipping out of nowhere after nearly 8 years of non-existance would be pushing credibility in itself. What are they supposed to do? Have Misty pop up in a random episode or two and start blushing over Ash after 8 years of no focus on it?

Its this way of thinking that got the Pokeshippers on SPP and BMG to their constant disappointments. They held out for the entire AG era for the writers to do something special with Ash and Misty again, and instead they just got slapped by reality and were given odd stares by everyone else in the fandom. Hikari being introduced was pretty much the final nail in Misty's coffin, and now they can't even cling to the hope that Pokeshipping will return when Misty joins the group again either.

IMO, waiting for Pokeshipping to happen is exactly the same as waiting for Misty to join the group again. You'll either be waiting a very long time, or it won't happen at all. If people want to spend another 4 years waiting, they are by all means free allowed to do so, but I wouldn't be surprised if they set themselves up for disappointment yet again, since that's apparently what they do best.

Please don't tell me people are counting that as a hint.

You have to admit, she's more enthusiastic about Ash winning at a Gym than either May or Misty were. :p

There's been nothing anti-Pokeshipping from Ash's side in Johto, aside from his total disinterest in her romantically, so to speak. Oh wait...that could actually be considered anti in itself.
Ash hasn't been shown as disinterested in her. He hasn't been put in any situations since Orange that would reveal his feelings one way or the other.

If there were no hints in the entire series of Ash liking Misty, then claiming that as proof that Pokeshipping is one-sided would be fair enough, but the fact that his feelings were in evidence for the first two years of the show's run casts some doubt over whether they've died down now. The fact remains that there have been no anti-Ash-->Misty scenes in the show.

Jo-Jo, its a 4 year old plotline. By the time we get into D/P, it'll be a nearly 8 year old plotline. Misty hasn't been the main female for two generations of fans now, the AG era and the D/P era.
An 8-year-old plotline stands a better chance of a positive resolution than a non-existent plotline.

Its possible yes, but you can just as easily say that going back to Pokeshipping out of nowhere after nearly 8 years of non-existance would be pushing credibility in itself. What are they supposed to do? Have Misty pop up in a random episode or two and start blushing over Ash after 8 years of no focus on it?
Yes. Why not? It's been done before, many times.

People accept it without question when Gary returns and Professor Oak talks about how he's "the best medicine for Satoshi", or when the Magikarp man pops up and tries to scam James again, or when Jessiebelle is referred to, or Professor Ivy. These characters and relationships are part of the show; it doesn't matter if the last time they were important characters/relationships was back in Johto, or Orange, or even Kanto.

Besides, who says Pokeshipping would be resurrected by Misty showing up and blushing over Ash as though nothing had changed since Orange? Perhaps there'd be more of a gradual lead-in.

You have to admit, she's more enthusiastic about Ash winning at a Gym than either May or Misty were. :p
Hikari's a more enthusiastic person than May or Misty, full stop. Using the cheerleader scenes as evidence is desperate to the extreme, especially given that Pochama and Mimirol joined in - surely they don't have a crush on Ash? I'd even go so far as to say that May's ambivalence over whether Ash or Norman should win the Petalburg gym battle was better shipping evidence than that.

^about the cheerleading thing, if appealshippers are going to use typical female interactions as strong evidence for their shipping then i'd say the cheerleading bit is fair game for pearlshipping.

At this point though i see Ash taking Yugi's example and walking out of the series single, i mean at the moment i don't see him hooking up with females as he is more focused in his pokemon, but then again that is how the show should be, with the friendship thing not going any higher than "Best Friends", though some ships(more like one in particular) tend to be like rabid dogs and the shippers within expect thier ships to happen no matter what.

Actually it would be in the writers best intrests to send him out single, because if he was to end up with anyone, chances are there will be lots people getting mad....., so basically Ash in a relastionship at all is a lose/lose situation.

Last edited:
Actually it would be in the writers best intrests to send him out single, because if he was to end up with anyone, chances are there will be lots people getting mad....., so basically Ash in a relastionship at all is a lose/lose situation.

I can't figure out Ash being in a typical relationship with anyone. I can't help but think about a Goku/Chichi thing. An Ash's possible wife would be a lonely woman, eternally waiting for him to come back home. That, or she'd be in an eternal journey by his side, which is not the best idea about raising a family :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom