• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why don't NPC Trainers in the games have any EVs on their Pokemon?

Should NPC trainers have EVs on their Pokemon?

• Yes

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
I mentioned this in my challenge blog, but why don't the Gym Leaders have EVs on their Pokémon? What the random trainers you fight on the routes? Yeah, it makes sense for them to not have any early on (like youngsters). I feel that the farther you go, the more EVs the trainers' Pokémon should have (distributed based on trainer class, like Hikers having EVs in Attack in Defense of course). The battles just end up being way too easy since our Pokémon get EVs, and they don't have any.

Most likely to keep the games beatable (accessible) to youngsters without technical knowledge. I wish difficulty levels would return, like in BW2 except without the convoluted key system.

A hard mode where late game trainers have EVs and use competitive strategies. While it would be nice that would also be a lot of effort for older people who don't play Pokemon much anymore.

Most likely to keep the games beatable (accessible) to youngsters without technical knowledge. I wish difficulty levels would return, like in BW2 except without the convoluted key system.

A hard mode where late game trainers have EVs and use competitive strategies. While it would be nice that would also be a lot of effort for older people who don't play Pokemon much anymore.
When you put it that way, that makes sense. Of course, I was not saying that they should have competitive level teams, just have EVs in general, with the trainer class of the person determining where most of the EVs go.

Last edited:
I think it's a bit of a tricky question. EVs are a messy system that the game explains badly and can be difficult to "get right" since they like to make it hard to fix them, so in that regard it makes sense enemies don't use it.
If we had something like the Gen 1/2 or Legends system I'd think differently.

I think it's a bit of a tricky question. EVs are a messy system that the game explains badly and can be difficult to "get right" since they like to make it hard to fix them, so in that regard it makes sense enemies don't use it.
If we had something like the Gen 1/2 or Legends system I'd think differently.
I would love it if the next mainline games got rid of EVs entirely and replaced them with Grit items like in Legends Arceus or something similar. Or if they do keep Evs, have EV training be like it was in X and Y where you could easily train them with Super Training. The only addition I would make is that they would be tracked so you would have a quick lookup on how many EVs you have for a stat for any individual Pokémon.

Back
Top Bottom