• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why the Safari Zone Dratini episode was banned in the US?

because america has a problem with guns in a kids show yet many of them have lasers cannons

The only way it could be aired on TV is if they had changed them to blasters or something silly like that like other anime have had to do.

Or the infamous invisible gun/finger gun:

Invisible-Guns-yu-gi-oh-abridged-7687320-271-238.jpg

I also heard that episode had quite a few obscenities in it.

....okay...right... so it's fine for the Looney Tunes to have Elmer Fudd shoot guns at Bugs Bunny and the Coyote to use TNTs on the Road Runner for fifty years, while it isn't okay for the Warden/Team Rocket to even bring those things on TV for 20 minutes? Comedy or not - the sole existance of those weapons should be banned altogether. It isn't fair to ban one thing and let another roam free and do what they want.

Well, I guess my question is pretty much answered and there is no point in getting worked up over something that happened more than 10 years ago. Still don't understand the dubbers when they feature guns in other shows and I'm upset about it... but I saw that Dratini episode on TV anyways XDD Thanks everybody. If you want to continue the debate, you are free to do so.

The only way it could be aired on TV is if they had changed them to blasters or something silly like that like other anime have had to do.

Or the infamous invisible gun/finger gun:

Invisible-Guns-yu-gi-oh-abridged-7687320-271-238.jpg

I remember that episode. When I first saw it I was not aware that there ever were any guns in the first place. Kaiba's reaction seemed pretty bizarre, lol
Still, replacing the guns with lasers or fingers would have been better than not showing the episode at all. That was so confusing when Ash had a ton of Tauros from the Safari Zone and when Team Rocket said "we could never catch a Dratini" in the Ditto episode despite the fact that they had never even attempted to find a Dratini.

the sole existance of those weapons should be banned altogether. It isn't fair to ban one thing and let another roam free and do what they want.
Then to make things fair, do the opposite. Don't ban the guns in any cartoon.
But I don't think that the Dratini episode actually was "banned" (as in, not legally allowed to be shown). I think that they could have shown it, but they chose not to. And since it's their show, it's their decision to make.

If you're talking about Pokemon, there aren't any obscenities in it. Those subs are crap and I guess are trying to make the show more "mature".

I also wonder if Jessie basically offering to get with the old guy has anything to do with it.

I wish that guy had done better research. Nyasu wasn't hitler, it was the same kind of scene we saw with Dent and Nyasu in BW043.

If you're talking about Pokemon, there aren't any obscenities in it. Those subs are crap and I guess are trying to make the show more "mature".

I think he meant suggestive stuff not swears. And it isn't nice to call someone's work crap just because they change a vulgarity level on an expletive to make their target audience feel more comfortable. Just because they did that doesn't mean they think cursing is mature.

There was some sexual stuff in the Jessie Warden conversation.

Not really.
And even if you were to count what she says as "sexual", there's been far worse dialogue in earlier episodes (like Takeshi drooling over 10-year-old girls and essentially saying "I can't wait until you're legal") that 4Kids just replaced with "milder" dialogue and called it a day.

I think he meant suggestive stuff not swears. And it isn't nice to call someone's work crap just because they change a vulgarity level on an expletive to make their target audience feel more comfortable. Just because they did that doesn't mean they think cursing is mature.

If it's not an accurate portrayal of the show, I'd say it's crap. It certainly isn't doing its job... the whole point is so that non-Japanese speakers can understand what is being said. A viewer should not watch the episode and think that the characters are saying something completely different than they are actually saying, or think that they are cursing when they aren't (which may not seem important, but it does change the mood). Then again, it is a "fan-sub" so the people translating it don't have to stick to the script, but it's still misleading and I don't like it.

As for the Jessie and the Warden thing... never saw it so I have no idea what was said. But in general, I haven't noticed any sexual references at all (although I've only seen the dub, so that's why). I have heard that in the Japanese Beauty and the Beach then the old man offered for Misty to have sex with him as payment for her debt (unless that was some fan-made crap and not at all what he really said). Other than that, the only thing I can think of is in the opening, Pikchu jumps up through the Lass's skirt (and in the Japanese song, the lyrics even say something about "up the girl's skirt" or something). Looking up a girl's skirt seems perverted in America, but apparently in Japan it's a common joke.

I have heard that in the Japanese Beauty and the Beach then the old man offered for Misty to have sex with him as payment for her debt (unless that was some fan-made crap and not at all what he really said).

Dogasu said:
The creepiness of an old man befriending a bunch of preteens is present in both versions, but this line, uttered by Moe, is considerably watered down. This happens right as Moe meets Misty for the first time:

Moe: "You remind me of my granddaughter."
Misty: "We don't have any money, but we'd be happy to work to pay for any damages."

Originally, Ryuu tells Kasumi that things would be more fun if she was eight years older.

So, not exactly sex. More like sex if she was an adult.

If it's not an accurate portrayal of the show, I'd say it's crap. It certainly isn't doing its job... the whole point is so that non-Japanese speakers can understand what is being said. A viewer should not watch the episode and think that the characters are saying something completely different than they are actually saying, or think that they are cursing when they aren't (which may not seem important, but it does change the mood). Then again, it is a "fan-sub" so the people translating it don't have to stick to the script, but it's still misleading and I don't like it.

The most recent fansub of this episode is accurately translated (and no, it doesn't have any cursing or sexual talk in it). I'm not sure which release Musashi is talking about, but her statement is too generalized and doesn't apply to all of them.

The most recent fansub of this episode is accurately translated (and no, it doesn't have any cursing or sexual talk in it). I'm not sure which release Musashi is talking about, but her statement is too generalized and doesn't apply to all of them.

Pokemon subs with swears in them are few and far between. That's hardly generalized. Nor did I ever imply all of them were crap.

I wasn't specifically referring to whatever Musashi was referring to... I was speaking about fan-subs in general. Fan-subs aren't official and even ignoring the cursing, many of them take far too many liberties while translating them (that, and many might have accurate content but still be horrible, grammar-wise). If it's well-done (which I'm sure a lot are), then fine, it's not crap... but there are far too many bad ones which is one of the main reasons that I don't even watch them (well, the other reason I don't watch them is because they're piracy which I don't condone so I probably wouldn't watch them anyway, but that's beside the point).

And I suppose you could say that the dub is even more crappy since it's not all that accurate either, but either way, the dub is official and everything said in it is canon to the dub.

It's kinda ironic that everyone uses the guns excuse for the USA, where carrying guns openly is legal in Nevada and it's one of the easiest first world countries to own a gun.

It's kinda ironic that everyone uses the guns excuse for the USA, where carrying guns openly is legal in Nevada and it's one of the easiest first world countries to own a gun.
But guns are never legally sold to kids and this is a kids show, so that's kind of irrelevent. And it isn't exactly ironic either... more guns means more chance of a gun-related accident, so the US wanting to not show it on a kid's show is completely reasonable (a country without guns doesn't face that possibility, so showing guns would not be a problem)

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom