• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will Iris return in the XY saga?

Believe me i don't like iris infact i hate her either but she has to return no matter how much we reject this fact and i'd rather have something good come out of her than listen to her annoying ''such a kid'' catchphrase all the time.

Yes I'm aware of the mind-boggling dislike of her: I was simply making a point that she doesn't need to come back just to help Ash somehow. I'm sure he can evolve his Gible on his own instead of leeching off of Iris's cameo honestly; he's a big boy. But oh God forbid should Iris get a last shot at attention for herself for a few episodes before disappearing forever like Misty/May/etc. :rolleyes:

Believe me i don't like iris infact i hate her either but she has to return no matter how much we reject this fact and i'd rather have something good come out of her than listen to her annoying ''such a kid'' catchphrase all the time.

Iris doesn't have to return. There is the tradition of bringing the previous female lead back for a few episodes, but it isn't a law or a fact that she is going to return. There's a good chance that she will if they want to keep up the tradition, but traditions can easily be broken. I wouldn't be surprised if they keep up the tradition, but the idea of them breaking it certainly isn't impossible.

Yes I'm aware of the mind-boggling dislike of her: I was simply making a point that she doesn't need to come back just to help Ash somehow. I'm sure he can evolve his Gible on his own instead of leeching off of Iris's cameo honestly; he's a big boy. But oh God forbid should Iris get a last shot at attention for herself for a few episodes before disappearing forever like Misty/May/etc. :rolleyes:

I don't see a reason to call the dislike of Iris mind-boggling. You may not agree with it and that's perfectly fine, but people have generally made it clear as to why they dislike her, so I don't see what's so mind-boggling about it. Even if I liked Iris or was more neutral towards her character, I'd be able to understand at least some of the issues people have with her character.

I can understand why fans would want Iris to have one more shot of attention before disappearing, but if they just force an Iris cameo arc in the same vein that they did with Dawn's return, would it really be worth it? I like Dawn. She is my second favorite female character in the anime, but I would have preferred for her to not have appeared in BW given the quality of her return. Just like with Iris, there wasn't a good reason to bring Dawn to Unova. They could have made the whole Junior Cup tournament work in terms of having her practice her Contest battle skills against different opponents, but she clearly wasn't battling like she was in a Contest in her matches. She was there to give Iris another undeserved victory and provide some more Piplup promotion due to its own popularity. She didn't make any advancements towards her goal, she didn't have new Pokemon, unless we include her Quilava and even then that's not much, we didn't learn how she was doing in Hoenn and her return did not affect any of the current cast members. She could have been written out and nothing would have been lost.

The chances of Iris' cameo being forced, in my opinion, is pretty high due to how there isn't a good reason for her to randomly appear in Kalos. The writers could create a good reason for Iris to appear and have her cameo actually mean something, but given how Iris was handled in BW and how I can't really see her interacting with any of the current cast without being contrived, I'm also going to say that it's unlikely that would happen. Not impossible, but I wouldn't bet on it myself. If Iris' cameo is handled in the same kind of what Dawn's was, then Iris would be better off not coming back in my opinion.

Iris's dragon that she had since he was a newborn versus Ash's newborn Noibat could be a very fun battle.
Lovely idea indeed. Had Ash not released his Goodra a while back I definitely could have seen Iris fawning over the big purple Barney-esque pseudo legendary but with Noibat taking its spot it seems like a nice thing to involve Iris in with her cameo.

As for the OP's question, I would be fully excited for Iris's cameo, I usually am for every Pokegirls's little return arc. in the show. I mainly am interested in seeing how she jells with Two and a Half Blondes as well as Ash again, it's been a long while so seeing her interacting with them would nice. Perhaps noticing Serena's feelings for Ash and pointing them out in some form that maybe advanced or does something with AmourS would be nice as seeing Serena try to flirt with the oblivious boy and get comically ignored has gotten a bit tiring. I would like that, who knows maybe Miette will contribute to that before then but I definitely would like Iris to notice Serena's little crush.

I think it would be fantastic to see Iris and Bonnie interact, I imagine they would both take a liking to one another as they're both full of boundless energy, active, and didn't exactly respect Pikachu's personal space the first time they held him hence why they got 100,000 literal volts of electricity sent into their caring, glomping selves. :p Clemont would definitely strike off as being similar to Cilan as how Dawn pointed out how Brock was similar to Cilan in the regard that the Pokeboys can be a bit annoying when they get overly passionate about things that lead the group to trouble, Cilan's enthusiasm leading them in circle during their search for Cubchoo, Brock's constant flirting and in XY Clemont's inventions have a habit of failing and blowing up in their faces.

So naturally I think Iris would be a bit worried or annoyed at him for that reason and liken him to Cilan like how Bonnie often gets annoyed or a bit dismissive of Clemont at times.

She has Axew, Emolga, Excadrill, Dragonite and Gible so maybe she'll make a final capture or reveal one in XY to round off herself with a full team of six, Tyrunt and Tyrantrum still do need more showcasing imo as well so this would be a great time to maybe showcase her empathetic dragon-hearting abilities once more and how they've come along. Let's not forget the prospect of Mega Dragon-types like Garchomp, Altaria, Charizard X, would probably be eyecatching for her. Sycamore and others have gone on about how it requires a great bond, Korrina and Diantha naturally were shown to have almost spiritual power like connection with their mega partners and Iris has already demonstrated that ability as well so maybe something with a Mega Evolution could happen? I mainly like the prospect of Drayden sending her off to Kalos to study Mega Evolution for a while. The shock she would have when she finds out that Charizard (under certain circumstances) is a Dragon-type would be hilarious. (Hence she tells Juniper to the PokeDex might need an upgrade :p)

Ash's Noibat would be fine too, I think she would find it to be super adorable since it came from an egg and is a baby it would remind her of her own Dragon toddler when it was given to her as a day-old Pokemon. Drasna is pretty legit so it would be nice to see her too I guess, but I personally want something a little more unique. Zinnia also comes to mind for a little ORAS promotion tie-in, the whole legend and thing with the Draconid + Mega Rayquaza would be a nice story for her to hear since Iris did see Rayquaza herself. Once again, they both are similar in the regard of being athletic, wild ladies with an affinity for Dragon-type siggies. I also noticed Misty/Lance appeared in AG, May/Wallace appeared in DP, Dawn/Cynthia BW, perhaps we will get Alder/Iris in Unova or at least she'll get tied to Steven Stone in someway or even Drake from Hoenn as I've noticed in each series a Pokegirl and a champ from a past region appeared with her.

As for her Pokemon, I'd like to see Dragonite again revealing that he and Iris are in perfect sync as they had some development in her episode with Clair so seeing that come full circle in Kalos would be lovely. Naturally, seeing Axew or Gible having evolved would be great too, either Axew reveals to have evolved off-screen or does so in Kalos in similar vein to May's Eevee or Dawn's Quilava, perhaps Iris revealed she stopped by the Battle Chateau battled a trainer and he evolved in the midst of it. Gible riding in her hair with Fraxure/Axew would also be cute, but I would be down with Gible being a Gabite too and her adding another Dragon-type to her team like Tyrunt which we haven't seen much of yet, it would fit her nicely after all.

If Mega Haxorus does end up being a reality in XY2/Z/whatever-forthcoming-XY-sequel(s) I definitely want that to be her reason for returning, Axew is a close partner to Iris always sleeping, eating, miming, laughing or just being warm toward her like we saw with Korrina/Lucario so I would certainly like that. Maybe give her a few battles and one or two killer wins and you have a pretty nice cameo for me.

Last edited:
It's true that Piplup did have an episode where they established that it didn't want to evolve, but they never really followed up on Axew's dream of evolving after it was brought up, which is why I'd say that they dropped it completely. Axew wasn't sad that it hadn't evolved yet, even by the end of the series, and aside from returning to the Village of Dragons, Iris didn't have a problem that it hadn't evolved yet either. As for the Elder, I don't remember her expression upon seeing that Axew didn't evolve. I remember that Iris apologized that it hadn't evolved, or something along those lines, but the Elder was fine with that. She said something like how evolution wasn't the only way for it to grow, or something like that. It's been awhile since I've seen the episode too, so my memory is rusty, but I am positive that the Village Elder had no problem with Axew not evolving yet

There shouldn't be a problem if it would eventually happen either way, and I thought that comment meant that despite it not evolving it doesn't mean it made zero progress, at least.

Besides that, if they were interested in having Axew evolve, I doubt that they would give it overpowered moves or possibly even give Iris Dragonite if they still wanted her to at least get a Fraxture. At the very least, they would have done something similar to Piplup where it learned stronger moves more gradually instead of suddenly learning Outrage and Giga Impact so quickly when it had struggles learning Dragon Rage. It always felt like they couldn't decide if they wanted to make Axew more like a powerful secondary mascot like Piplup or make it more a weak baby like Togepi given how it would still get in trouble, act like a toddler and be treated like a toddler, and they tried to do both, despite how that didn't make much sense.

Yeah, although that doesn't necessarily mean that because it learned strong moves it won't ever evolve. I thought that had to do more with its personality than being a toddler, being nice, a ditz getting into accidental situations and wanting love. I don't think it's that different from how Piplup was, minus it begging for attention.

I wouldn't say that it's as impossible as Piplup evolving though. Not only did Piplup not want to evolve, but it also seemed generally more popular than I think Axew was during BW. I remember seeing more Piplup merchandise than Axew merchandise around BW, or at least around similar amounts, so that's probably another reason why they wanted to keep it unevolved. Being a starter Pokemon probably didn't hurt its popularity either. Even so, I'd say that Axew's chances of evolving are slim at best. While it could be used to showcase Iris's growth in skills since leaving the group, I don't think that they were ever really interested in making Axew evolve in the first place. They wanted Iris to still have a cute marketable Dragon Pokemon to live in her hair and that's what Axew was about. I still think that was the main reason why they gave Iris a Dragonite since they weren't going to have Axew evolve. The idea of Axew evolving and Emolga taking it's spot in Iris's hair, on the other hand, is impossible, mainly due to the Emolga part. Even if Axew did evolve, I imagine that Gible would be in Iris's hair or they'd find a way for Fraxture to keep doing that instead of Emolga doing that.

Iris would probably never show up again with anything new after a cameo, so she shouldn't worry about her hair and I don't think viewers would lose sleep because she doesn't have a Pokemon nesting in her hair, unless they wanted a Goomy in it ;). During BW! I could see why they wouldn't, but her run is over so I think having Axew evolve would be kind of a fitting end that would make her really happy since she'd be happy to see Axew grow in size. I'd still want it to be the same as it was as an Axew with its gentle personality instead of just changing completely like some Pokemon, and Iris has already had enough disobedient or moody Pokemon to deal with. Even if you may think they weren't handled the best way I think we can agree that it's better if they don't repeat it on her.

The whole activating its latent powers in stressful situations always came off more as being cheap and blatant deus ex machinas to me. Axew's power level also tended to change depending on if they wanted to make it seem strong or if they wanted to make it a weak baby. It was not consistent if I recall correctly. I wouldn't want Axew and Noibat to battle mainly due to how Axew would most likely win and I don't think that Ash would need Iris's help in raising a newborn Dragon Pokemon. He's handled baby Pokemon before, so this wouldn't be anything new for him. Not to mention there would be a risk of glorifying Iris as such a special gifted Dragon trainer if that was part of the reason she came back and I quite frankly had enough of that during BW.

Yeah, I don't get why they just didn't show off how strong it can be with Dragon Rage alone. It always deals the same amount of damage in the games, yet they downgrade it and give it other moves to make up for it, although Outrage was never used again, which would have been good to get an update on. I don't think Ash would need Iris's help either, but it wouldn't hurt. It's not like he'd suddenly be inexperienced, he got help from Dawn before even if she was a newer trainer and that didn't mean that he'd suddenly be characterized like as if knew nothing beforehand. Being good doesn't make her special, I still think that's overhyping what she does or achieves out of dislike, as well as just not wanting her to get any progress or be helpful in anyway. I'm not making this out as a bad thing, it's natural that people wouldn't want characters they like because of previous experiences to progress, like how you want Iris to not evolve her Gible so she stagnates and isn't shown off as any better out of fear from how previous progression was handled, so you've got your reasons even if I may not agree with them. I know I've had my fair share of characters that I dislike and didn't want to see progress for my own reasons that others wanted to.

I don't see a reason to call the dislike of Iris mind-boggling. You may not agree with it and that's perfectly fine, but people have generally made it clear as to why they dislike her, so I don't see what's so mind-boggling about it. Even if I liked Iris or was more neutral towards her character, I'd be able to understand at least some of the issues people have with her character.

Even if somebody understands something to an extent or not they could still find it mind-boggling. Different people get different impressions and take in things differently, and impressions can be so different to the point that a person would become amazed at the other's impression and it could stick even though it has been explained. You may have been able to understand it, but that doesn't mean others would because of their different impression. Sometimes I'm so mind-boggled that even when I've seen an explanation I wonder myself if we're even watching the same show despite knowing how others take things differently.

I can understand why fans would want Iris to have one more shot of attention before disappearing, but if they just force an Iris cameo arc in the same vein that they did with Dawn's return, would it really be worth it? I like Dawn. She is my second favorite female character in the anime, but I would have preferred for her to not have appeared in BW given the quality of her return. Just like with Iris, there wasn't a good reason to bring Dawn to Unova. They could have made the whole Junior Cup tournament work in terms of having her practice her Contest battle skills against different opponents, but she clearly wasn't battling like she was in a Contest in her matches. She was there to give Iris another undeserved victory and provide some more Piplup promotion due to its own popularity. She didn't make any advancements towards her goal, she didn't have new Pokemon, unless we include her Quilava and even then that's not much, we didn't learn how she was doing in Hoenn and her return did not affect any of the current cast members. She could have been written out and nothing would have been lost.

Dawn ended up helping Iris with Dragonite because her Mamoswine was so strong it brought Dragonite so down and annoyed it so much it, it ended up helping Iris convince Dragonite to work together because teamwork is key. Granted anyone else could have put some sense into Dragonite like Cynthia to get it to listen to Iris because of how she couldn't convince him, but she still did something and it did help make Dawn look really strong to give Dragonite so much stress after it had beaten Beartic with such an annoyed attitude of thinking Iris could just order it around thinking it doesn't need teamwork to win. Shame that despite achieving this Iris went on a losing streak and I think only managed to win one or two battles against Team Rocket with it. I don't mind that Dawn didn't show her progress and just said that she was fine, but I think that has to do more with me not caring as much as others so I understand why others wouldn't be happy that she didn't show off a ribbon or two, although I still don't think it's that much of a big deal. I don't know if you've seen it, but her DP special actually made it a point that she'd stick with the Pokemon she has anyway. Piplup didn't want to evolve, Pachirisu can't, Mamoswine is already fully evolved, as well as Togekiss, Cyndaquill ended up already evolving into Quilava and Buneary might not have evolved because of her crush on Pikachu and it fits better as one. A new capture would have been nice, but I don't think it would have mattered if it didn't get any attention. What would have been really cool is if she caught a new Pokemon in Unova and used it against Iris's Dragonite. That would have been much more beneficial.

I think it would be fantastic to see Iris and Bonnie interact, I imagine they would both take a liking to one another as they're both full of boundless energy, active, and didn't exactly respect Pikachu's personal space the first time they held him hence why they got 100,000 literal volts of electricity sent into their caring, glomping selves. :p Clemont would definitely strike off as being similar to Cilan as how Dawn pointed out how Brock was similar to Cilan in the regard that the Pokeboys can be a bit annoying when they get overly passionate about things that lead the group to trouble, Cilan's enthusiasm leading them in circle during their search for Cubchoo, Brock's constant flirting and in XY Clemont's inventions have a habit of failing and blowing up in their faces.

Yeah, I could definitely see Iris bonding with Bonnie more than the others. They also have very similar personalities. Iris would think Dedenne is adorable like Ash's Pikachu, Bonnie would adore her Pokemon, especially Axew, and they'd definitely point out together how Clemont's invention names are just explanations of what they do. I could see them calling Clemont a kid and telling him that despite him being older Bonnie is a lot more mature than him for laughs, and that she's the one that actually takes care of him like they've done before trying to find him a wife. I'd love if Iris got fashioned up by Serena, her hair could give Serena some experience as a hair dresser too, which she could say will benefit her in her performances. I don't see any reason for them to dislike each other because it makes no sense, they're both generally friendly people who's age is similar, and their goals don't conflict with each other. I don't see Serena making a big deal of Iris calling Ash a kid either, not like anyone should when it's true, because Serena herself has even prevented Ash from being inappropriate when being strict with him to not eat food like in the Diantha episode. I think we've gotten way past over Serena's sensitivity with the Skiddo episode with her mother, her loss at her performance showcase and dealing with Pancham and Fennekin's disagreements in the Ellie episode. Granted they could bring it up again, but I doubt they'd have even made her make a deal out of it even before the episode with her mother.

I also noticed Misty/Lance appeared in AG, May/Wallace appeared in DP, Dawn/Cynthia BW, perhaps we will get Alder/Iris in Unova or at least she'll get tied to Steven Stone in someway or even Drake from Hoenn as I've noticed in each series a Pokegirl and a champ from a past region appeared with her.

I noticed that too. I'd love if Alder appeared in Kalos too, and tried acting all cool with Diantha. Dawn ended up learning from Wallace and Iris ended up learning from Cynthia. I don't see how Serena would benefit from Alder so Iris is more fitting, especially when he could potentially convince Iris to maybe take gyms in Unova and in 2 years or so years she'd become an actual champion. I doubt they'd ever go that far, but I wouldn't say it's impossible and it's currently the only thing I could see Alder benefiting Iris with, saying he'll retire soon and that many people would like to compete to take his spot.

As for her Pokemon, I'd like to see Dragonite again revealing that he and Iris are in perfect sync as they had some development in her episode with Clair so seeing that come full circle in Kalos would be lovely. Naturally, seeing Axew or Gible having evolved would be great too, either Axew reveals to have evolved off-screen or does so in Kalos in similar vein to May's Eevee or Dawn's Quilava, perhaps Iris revealed she stopped by the Battle Chateau battled a trainer and he evolved in the midst of it. Gible riding in her hair with Fraxure/Axew would also be cute, but I would be down with Gible being a Gabite too and her adding another Dragon-type to her team like Tyrunt which we haven't seen much of yet, it would fit her nicely after all.

An off-screen evolution like May's would be cool, preferably like how May's was with her Eevee. Tyrunt would be a fitting Pokemon, especially since it's also a dinosaur, and I remember Iris's BW2 team being half Dragon based and half dinosaur based, but I could be confusing it with Lance's since he had an Aerodactyl. Actually since Tyrunt is only known to have its fossils being only obtainable in Kalos that could serve as a good motive, like maybe she learned about it from the Nacrene Museum which had some special exhibition that real museums usually do.

If Mega Haxorus does end up being a reality in XY2/Z/whatever-forthcoming-XY-sequel(s) I definitely want that to be her reason for returning, Axew is a close partner to Iris always sleeping, eating, miming, laughing or just being warm toward her like we saw with Korrina/Lucario so I would certainly like that. Maybe give her a few battles and one or two killer wins and you have a pretty nice cameo for me.

As much as I'd love if more Unova Pokemon got more Mega Evolutions since it's my favourite generation, I doubt they'd give Haxorus a Mega Evolution and that they'd save it till a generation 5 remake if they still keep up making new ones, which they probably will with other starters having Mega Evolutions. It would be cool if all female leads learned it, with Misty's Gyarados, May's Venusaur, Blaziken, potential Blastoise, maybe Dawn's Buneary if it ever evolves or Quilava if it ever gets a Mega Evolution and Iris's Gible.

It might surprise a few people but there was a time when I was looking forward to Iris's return. Not because of any like for Iris. I still dislike her. Rather more because I really liked the idea of the continuing 'old companion gets beaten by the current girl' trend. I don't want to see Iris getting beaten by Serena, but there is a traveling girl on the team who I could see realistically wanting to battle Iris: someone who wouldn't like the idea of kid being used as an insult, someone who has a fairy type pokemon and someone who has a far stronger interest in battling than Serena.

Nowadays, with Serena getting stronger and it getting more and more the case that they're not showing Eureka battling I doubt that the anime would be awesome enough to show Iris getting beaten by a kid. Personally I think that it would be more satisfying than seeing her being beaten by Serena, but I imagine that they'll just drop that trend instead.

With this, other than seeing friends the like Iris being made happy (which may not happen considering how Hikari's return was handled), I would rather she did not appear. I doubt though that my feelings really make much of a difference to how likely she is to return. In many ways, it depends on how much the writers and marketers want her to reappear. I can't see much in it for marketing so...

There shouldn't be a problem if it would eventually happen either way, and I thought that comment meant that despite it not evolving it doesn't mean it made zero progress, at least.

I took the comment as a way to show that there was no problem that Axew hadn't evolved and to claim that it had made progress, even though in my opinion it really didn't.

HumanDawn said:
Yeah, although that doesn't necessarily mean that because it learned strong moves it won't ever evolve. I thought that had to do more with its personality than being a toddler, being nice, a ditz getting into accidental situations and wanting love. I don't think it's that different from how Piplup was, minus it begging for attention.

While learning overpowered moves doesn't necessarily mean that it won't ever evolve, I think that it really does make it much less likely. Why bother giving Axew Outrage and Giga Impact if they were planning to evolve it at some point? Learning moves like those after evolving would be more reasonable, but when it was still inexperienced and not particularly strong, it came off more as the writers trying to make it seem like Axew had progressed without making it evolve. To be fair, they definitely could have shown its progress without evolving, but that would have required better writing and making Axew's strength more consistent in general. As for Piplup, it was childish with its personality, but Axew always struck me as being more of a toddler by comparison. It had to be rescued a few times, one of the prime examples was being kidnapped in an episode right after using Outrage and out course it couldn't try to free itself, it got lost a few times, it acted like a toddler and it was treated like a toddler by Iris. That was one of the reasons why I felt like they were trying to make Axew be similar to both Togepi and Piplup at the same time.

HumanDawn said:
Iris would probably never show up again with anything new after a cameo, so she shouldn't worry about her hair and I don't think viewers would lose sleep because she doesn't have a Pokemon nesting in her hair, unless they wanted a Goomy in it ;). During BW! I could see why they wouldn't, but her run is over so I think having Axew evolve would be kind of a fitting end that would make her really happy since she'd be happy to see Axew grow in size. I'd still want it to be the same as it was as an Axew with its gentle personality instead of just changing completely like some Pokemon, and Iris has already had enough disobedient or moody Pokemon to deal with. Even if you may think they weren't handled the best way I think we can agree that it's better if they don't repeat it on her.

I don't see Iris worrying about her hair, but I imagine that the writers would want to keep having some Dragon Pokemon, if not Axew, in her hair due to how that's probably one trait about her appearance that fans recognize. While Axew evolving would make Iris happy, I still don't see them going in that direction. They weren't interested in providing any believable growth in Axew's strength before and neither one of them showed any interest in getting Axew to evolve after that dream early on in BW, so I wouldn't expect them to suddenly be interested in evolving Axew. Although, I agree with both keeping its gentle personality if it does evolve and for it to not become another disobedient Pokemon. Both Extradril and Dragonite were handled terribly in that regard in my opinion.

HumanDawn said:
Yeah, I don't get why they just didn't show off how strong it can be with Dragon Rage alone. It always deals the same amount of damage in the games, yet they downgrade it and give it other moves to make up for it, although Outrage was never used again, which would have been good to get an update on. I don't think Ash would need Iris's help either, but it wouldn't hurt. It's not like he'd suddenly be inexperienced, he got help from Dawn before even if she was a newer trainer and that didn't mean that he'd suddenly be characterized like as if knew nothing beforehand. Being good doesn't make her special, I still think that's overhyping what she does or achieves out of dislike, as well as just not wanting her to get any progress or be helpful in anyway. I'm not making this out as a bad thing, it's natural that people wouldn't want characters they like because of previous experiences to progress, like how you want Iris to not evolve her Gible so she stagnates and isn't shown off as any better out of fear from how previous progression was handled, so you've got your reasons even if I may not agree with them. I know I've had my fair share of characters that I dislike and didn't want to see progress for my own reasons that others wanted to.

Even though Outrage was only used once, I still count it since it was such a blatant deus ex machina and one of the most obvious times where the writers just handed Iris a victory for no good reason. I keep saying that she was special not because she was good or even because I dislike her, although the latter might be a factor. I say it because that's how the show treated Iris. She could read Dragonite's thoughts, although I forget if that happened with other Dragon Pokemon too, she won nearly one hundred battles with Drilbur before she was even old enough to become a trainer, Drayden sent her to a school to learn more about Pokemon because of the interest he took in her and he even wanted her to become the new Gym Leader. BW kept trying to show that Iris was such a gifted and strong trainer, especially in her focused episodes, even though in my opinion, she never came off nearly as good as the show claimed she was.

HumanDawn said:
Dawn ended up helping Iris with Dragonite because her Mamoswine was so strong it brought Dragonite so down and annoyed it so much it, it ended up helping Iris convince Dragonite to work together because teamwork is key. Granted anyone else could have put some sense into Dragonite like Cynthia to get it to listen to Iris because of how she couldn't convince him, but she still did something and it did help make Dawn look really strong to give Dragonite so much stress after it had beaten Beartic with such an annoyed attitude of thinking Iris could just order it around thinking it doesn't need teamwork to win. Shame that despite achieving this Iris went on a losing streak and I think only managed to win one or two battles against Team Rocket with it. I don't mind that Dawn didn't show her progress and just said that she was fine, but I think that has to do more with me not caring as much as others so I understand why others wouldn't be happy that she didn't show off a ribbon or two, although I still don't think it's that much of a big deal. I don't know if you've seen it, but her DP special actually made it a point that she'd stick with the Pokemon she has anyway. Piplup didn't want to evolve, Pachirisu can't, Mamoswine is already fully evolved, as well as Togekiss, Cyndaquill ended up already evolving into Quilava and Buneary might not have evolved because of her crush on Pikachu and it fits better as one. A new capture would have been nice, but I don't think it would have mattered if it didn't get any attention. What would have been really cool is if she caught a new Pokemon in Unova and used it against Iris's Dragonite. That would have been much more beneficial.

I disagree completely that Dawn had an impact on the issue with Dragonite. I don't remember the match that much as it's been awhile since I've seen it, but I'm pretty sure that Dragonite continued to not listen to Iris and defeated Mamoswine on its own, similar to how it handled Beartic. Even if they did work together during that match, the problem with Dragonite continued after Dawn left, so whatever impact she did have was not a factor in how it was resolved. Iris eventually got Dragonite to listen to her after protecting it during that Team Rocket two-parter involving some Legendary Pokemon. It had nothing to do with those battles in the Junior Cup. In fact, I'd argue that Dragonite disobeying Iris was a completely unnecessary subplot primarily due to how it was resolved. Iris protecting Dragonite was pretty much what she did when they first met and why Dragonite wanted to be with Iris, so having the solution to that issue being the same thing she did before made the issue virtually pointless. She didn't do anything differently with Dragonite. She kept yelling at it to listen to her, which made me think she had not learned anything from her problems with Excadrill, she didn't grow as a person or as a trainer since she was willing to put herself in danger to help Dragonite before, and all it really accomplished was giving her more undeserved victories. Dawn was one of the people who tried to reassure her that things would work out with Dragonite, but she didn't really help beyond being tossed under a bus just to have Dragonite defeat another fully evolved Ice type Pokemon. May actually did help Dawn with her confidence issues during the Wallace Cup and unlike with Dragonite, that issue was resolved by the time May left. Dawn had no impact on Iris's storyline or with her issues with Dragonite.

As for Dawn, I understand that she wanted to use the same Pokemon and that's fine, but new Pokemon wouldn't have been the only way to showcase her progress. She could have mentioned how she was doing with Hoenn Contests and maybe show whatever ribbons she has been able to win in the meantime. While May had more upgrades to her team compared to Dawn, they still could have made it work with just showing some of her ribbons. I don't remember if she even mentioned that she had decided to go to Hoenn for more Contests or not, especially when she just decided to go to Johto for another Wallace Cup at the end.

I don't mind Iris besides her annoying fans but I agree with Hidden Mew, I just can't see her return not being forced. Shota, Alan,Manon,Elle,Tierno,Sana,Millefeui,etc are enough side characters to keep things interesting for now.

There's no need to insult Iris fans. Discussing issues with the character is fine, but don't make it more personal, even with a generalization comment like that. I just don't want that to result in a more heated discussion. That's one reason why there still aren't too many threads about Iris, so I'd prefer for that to not happen here.

There's no need to insult Iris fans. Discussing issues with the character is fine, but don't make it more personal, even with a generalization comment like that. I just don't want that to result in a more heated discussion. That's one reason why there still aren't too many threads about Iris, so I'd prefer for that to not happen here.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean all fans but the "bad" part of her fandom (based in some bad experiences in the past)

I'm sorry, I didn't mean all fans but the "bad" part of her fandom (based in some bad experiences in the past)

I understand. I've had bad experiences with fans of different characters, including Iris, in the past too. I wanted to make sure it didn't result in a more heated debate just to be safe though.

I was reading Sweet Veil and HumanDawn's ideas and they sound good but isn't too much for a cameo? May didn't get that much and she got the best cameo.

Yeah, I could definitely see Iris bonding with Bonnie more than the others. They also have very similar personalities. Iris would think Dedenne is adorable like Ash's Pikachu, Bonnie would adore her Pokemon, especially Axew, and they'd definitely point out together how Clemont's invention names are just explanations of what they do.
That would be a highlight for me, Bonnie is pretty much a little Pokemon herself after all did you not see her fill the role of Pikachu in the recent Meowth episode seeing her and Axew interact. I also want to know the secret of whether Axew technically has a ball or not, bonus points if it's a Cherish Ball like the giveaway representation event Iris's Axew. Naturally I could Iris coddling Dedenne. I'm interested in whether she would fear Fairy-type Pokemon since she claimed she feared Ice-type Pokemon because they were SE to Dragon-type Pokemon but we saw at many points she was just unfond of the cold like all Dragon Village residents apparently are.

I could see them calling Clemont a kid and telling him that despite him being older Bonnie is a lot more mature than him for laughs, and that she's the one that actually takes care of him like they've done before trying to find him a wife.
Although I do have some issues with Luxray's treatment and agency, I would really like it if they talked about Luxray and Excadrill, both childhood Pokemon they had past turmoil with that they've bettered their relationships with now. I would like it too if Clemont took an interest in Emolga, he has an Emolga in-game I was a bit disappointed they replaced it with Magnemite. Clemont, as an Electric-type specialist, taking an interest in Iris's Emolga would be nice, maybe building some form of gliding invention modeled after it that ends up exploding. Maybe have Emolga genderize some of the XY Pokemon via Attract and us getting some cute little surprise like how Jessie's Yanmega was female.
I'd love if Iris got fashioned up by Serena, her hair could give Serena some experience as a hair dresser too, which she could say will benefit her in her performances. I don't see any reason for them to dislike each other because it makes no sense, they're both generally friendly people who's age is similar, and their goals don't conflict with each other. I don't see Serena making a big deal of Iris calling Ash a kid either, not like anyone should when it's true, because Serena herself has even prevented Ash from being inappropriate when being strict with him to not eat food like in the Diantha episode. I think we've gotten way past over Serena's sensitivity with the Skiddo episode with her mother, her loss at her performance showcase and dealing with Pancham and Fennekin's disagreements in the Ellie episode. Granted they could bring it up again, but I doubt they'd have even made her make a deal out of it even before the episode with her mother.
I saw the idea of Iris entering a Showcase being thrown around on another site I go to, it would be amusing to see her out of her element with entering a showcase. She liked Dawn's contest as well as combination moves and never dismissed her feminity which was great, she also enjoy Musicals which are similar to Showcases so I think her entering a TriPokalon with a little goading would be cute. Serena is prime-A with dressing and crafting fashion-related things, we saw it with Bonnie's ninja attire and Chespin's Spewpa disguise for example so I'm all for her dolling Iris up a little bit. It would remind me of Katara and Toph from ATLA and how they had a girl's day out. I don't think Serena would care, she's well aware of Ash's impulsive tendencies like with his gluttony in the lost!Dedenne and Diantha episodes so I don't think it'll be a big deal. I never found Serena that super sensitive, she's just a bit passive and spills spaghetti often.

I noticed that too. I'd love if Alder appeared in Kalos too, and tried acting all cool with Diantha. Dawn ended up learning from Wallace and Iris ended up learning from Cynthia. I don't see how Serena would benefit from Alder so Iris is more fitting, especially when he could potentially convince Iris to maybe take gyms in Unova and in 2 years or so years she'd become an actual champion. I doubt they'd ever go that far, but I wouldn't say it's impossible and it's currently the only thing I could see Alder benefiting Iris with, saying he'll retire soon and that many people would like to compete to take his spot.
I don't really see it happening but it would be an amusing way to send her character out without a doubt, plus she could maybe say Ash also inspired her to challenge gyms through their friendship since she really came to enjoy and root for him in his gym matches. In-comparison to how she was a bit dismissive of his odd methods (using a Water-type Oshawott against a Grass-type Pansage) to how she ended up getting so invested in his 8th gym she painted herself and Cilan and went and bought snow gear just to watch Brycen's match it would be pretty fluffy. It's actually amusing how she came to respect Ash's methods in battle because Clemont in the recent Scottie debut episode actually said himself that he found Ash's battling style to be neat because he treats type advantages like they don't really matter at all and just charges in with a belief in his Pokemon. It gives Iris one more thing to bond with the blondes about, she would probably be all "That's sooo Ash." if she heard about some of his recent gym battle experiences.
An off-screen evolution like May's would be cool, preferably like how May's was with her Eevee. Tyrunt would be a fitting Pokemon, especially since it's also a dinosaur, and I remember Iris's BW2 team being half Dragon based and half dinosaur based, but I could be confusing it with Lance's since he had an Aerodactyl. Actually since Tyrunt is only known to have its fossils being only obtainable in Kalos that could serve as a good motive, like maybe she learned about it from the Nacrene Museum which had some special exhibition that real museums usually do.
No you're right, her team in-game was Hydreigon, Aggron, Haxorus, Archeops, Druddigon, Lapras, and Salamence so it was a team of draconic Pokemon and dinoasaurs, it would be a nice throwback to the games if she maybe caught Tyrunt and evolved it into Tyrantrum and used it in a Showcase or something of that nature. Tyrunt is also known as, "The Royal Heir" Pokemon and Champion Iris is based off a Disney princess with her tiara and dress, it's also a very juvenile Pokemon known to throw tantrums which would give her something to showcase her ability to understand the hearts of dragons with and it would once again be a throwback to her catchphrase with how kiddish it would act. She would probably find Bonnie + Tyrantrum PJ's to be the ultimate in adorableness. Clemont could reanimate Tyrunt through the power of science and though she might be a bit annoyed by it due to the over-the-topness, I think she'll ultimately find it just as amazing as Ash does.
As much as I'd love if more Unova Pokemon got more Mega Evolutions since it's my favourite generation, I doubt they'd give Haxorus a Mega Evolution and that they'd save it till a generation 5 remake if they still keep up making new ones, which they probably will with other starters having Mega Evolutions.
Oh well, that is true. It's just a thought.
I was reading Sweet Veil and HumanDawn's ideas and they sound good but isn't too much for a cameo? May didn't get that much and she got the best cameo.
Well, I'm mainly just spitballing a bit about what they could do if/when Iris has her return time in XY, not sure how much they would do with it though.

One thing I am araid about that Iris will back in XY. Let cilan back what i will like. I am afraid about iris back too much, Because i know from the start episode when she return, she will win and how ask the writers (you know what i mean, I mean out of no where), she will say "You are such a kid" for nothing or for stupid reason like her. Her special heart will back for her. She will catch another stupid pokemon for final stage like Stupid Dragonite. Also, i am wondering about something. Did Axew will learn hyperbeam, or Roar of time or special rend in XY. this possible, because he is special, have stupidly unnatural power out of no where and can do these power attacks who you naturally learn it after reach to final stage and training final stage 20 level maybe and how axew learn them i don't know so we must count in writes for making axew learn hyperbeam, or Roar of time or special rend in XY. If he did a hyperbeam then this will be a big explotion in this anime and to me to because this attack can't by learned by any pokemon except final stage however dragonair is the special so i am count in you writers to make axew learn hyperbeam. The same to Roar of time or special rend, these two attack are dragon types attack however special to dialga (Roar of time) and palkia (special rend) and no one can learn them from dragon type. But their is no impossible with axew.
Second thing, she has now Dragonite and gible, what will next when she will appears in XY.

The one who can stop her is Serena, because she likes ash more than anything and she liked pokemon because he helped her. And she is one that can't enable anyone that hurt ash so please don't be a friend with iris and her pokemons please Serena. So i think now you no the first thing that make me hate BW even it was enjoyable to me. The second thing is trip, his story and his pokemons. The third and final reason, is Cameron, his story and his pokemons.

And finally, isn't the time to make ash win the leauge or let a one girl win a leauge. Before the boys win the leauges and i think it is time to girl to win or to ash

One thing I am araid about that Iris will back in XY. Let cilan back what i will like. I am afraid about iris back too much, Because i know from the start episode when she return, she will win and how ask the writers (you know what i mean, I mean out of no where), she will say "You are such a kid" for nothing or for stupid reason like her. Her special heart will back for her. She will catch another stupid pokemon for final stage like Stupid Dragonite. Also, i am wondering about something. Did Axew will learn hyperbeam, or Roar of time or special rend in XY. this possible, because he is special, have stupidly unnatural power out of no where and can do these power attacks who you naturally learn it after reach to final stage and training final stage 20 level maybe and how axew learn them i don't know so we must count in writes for making axew learn hyperbeam, or Roar of time or special rend in XY. If he did a hyperbeam then this will be a big explotion in this anime and to me to because this attack can't by learned by any pokemon except final stage however dragonair is the special so i am count in you writers to make axew learn hyperbeam. The same to Roar of time or special rend, these two attack are dragon types attack however special to dialga (Roar of time) and palkia (special rend) and no one can learn them from dragon type. But their is no impossible with axew.
Second thing, she has now Dragonite and gible, what will next when she will appears in XY.

The one who can stop her is Serena, because she likes ash more than anything and she liked pokemon because he helped her. And she is one that can't enable anyone that hurt ash so please don't be a friend with iris and her pokemons please Serena. So i think now you no the first thing that make me hate BW even it was enjoyable to me. The second thing is trip, his story and his pokemons. The third and final reason, is Cameron, his story and his pokemons.

And finally, isn't the time to make ash win the leauge or let a one girl win a leauge. Before the boys win the leauges and i think it is time to girl to win or to ash

Err, no offense, but all I'm reading out of this is "I do not want Iris back because she will...." something something. How do you KNOW she will do everything you say she will? You don't. You don't even know IF she will come back. None of us will. You're assuming. And making rather illogical assumptions at that. How do you KNOW that Axew will learn Roar of Time or Special Rend? How can you even SAY he will when you ADMIT that it is impossible? It makes no sense.

I know I keep saying this on practically every thread in existance about any future event, but assuming never gets us anywhere, and oftentimes comes back to bite us in the backside.

Some conflict between Serena and Iris would be refreshing, all the other main girls became bff instantly so something different would be nice. It doesn't have anything serious or involve Satoshi, just lighthearted, funny arguments.
@ may-serena-dawn
If you don't like the "You are such a kid" gag just fast forward the scene, I doubt I will ruin a whole episode if she comes back.

@CrasBash
I think he was making fun of how Axew learned Outrage despite being a weak Pokemon.

Although I know Iris has had a mixed reception both in Japan and internationally, and I know her popularity will factor her chances of return, I'm starting to get disappointed this thread hasn't moved on from "Iris: Love Her or Hate Her?" It was a valid point, but it seems like people can't move past it.

Sorry, but it's just that it's the Onix (or even Wailord) in the room when it comes to Iris :uhoh:

Axew was a secondary mascot in BW, similar to how Piplup was a secondary mascot in DP, and they weren't interested in evolving Axew because of his marketing value as the secondary mascot.

The worst part is that Axew wasn't likable or interesting enough to be the #2 mascot. IMHO, he wasn't even cute enough...

Last edited:
To be fair, this is lasting a lot longer and better than many other threads we've had focusing on Iris, which I myself am grateful for.

The worst part is that Axew wasn't likable or interesting enough to be the #2 mascot. IMHO, he wasn't even cute enough...

I thought that Axew was cute, so I could see why they tried to make it a secondary mascot. Being likable enough isn't necessarily a factor, especially when I thought that Piplup was annoying as heck during a good chuck of DP. It wasn't quite as bad when I rewatched the series, but there were still times where it was insufferable. Axew's problems had more to do with just being written poorly more so than not being cute or interesting enough to be a mascot character in my opinion.

Err, no offense, but all I'm reading out of this is "I do not want Iris back because she will...." something something. How do you KNOW she will do everything you say she will? You don't. You don't even know IF she will come back. None of us will. You're assuming. And making rather illogical assumptions at that. How do you KNOW that Axew will learn Roar of Time or Special Rend? How can you even SAY he will when you ADMIT that it is impossible? It makes no sense.

I know I keep saying this on practically every thread in existance about any future event, but assuming never gets us anywhere, and oftentimes comes back to bite us in the backside.

I remember i said i am afraid about that will happen not i am sure it will happen which i meant i am afraid about think if she will back
second i didn't say he will learn them.. i said that it is possible for him to learn them so read them right and then back to me
Also, i told my feeling like all people so don't answer if you didn't like it

Some conflict between Serena and Iris would be refreshing, all the other main girls became bff instantly so something different would be nice. It doesn't have anything serious or involve Satoshi, just lighthearted, funny arguments.
@ may-serena-dawn
If you don't like the "You are such a kid" gag just fast forward the scene, I doubt I will ruin a whole episode if she comes back.

@CrasBash
I think he was making fun of how Axew learned Outrage despite being a weak Pokemon.

i am not sure about getting "If you don't like the "You are such a kid" gag just fast forward the scene, I doubt I will ruin a whole episode if she comes back."
but you got what i meant when you said "I think he was making fun of how Axew learned Outrage despite being a weak Pokemon"

Last edited by a moderator:
Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom