• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will Shinji get a love interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How exactly did removing Gary nearly kill off the following seasons of Pokemon? Gary was only in three episodes of Johto anyway and then just the Johto league. His departure hardly affected the quality of the show in the slightest since he barely ever showed up to begin with.

Ash probably could have used a rival in Hoenn, (Morrison should have been introduced much sooner), but otherwise AG was superb.

maybe its just me, but i didnt enjoy AG very much. True, character development was at great but it was all for May. And...I dont like her. AG would have been a whole lot better if ash had someone to spare with. that on/off cool mature side of him in AG was very awesome to see but ash is only about 2/3 of himself with a rival.
The whole reason Ash is even on this journey is because of Gary. He left all his pokemon because gary did the same thing. He goes to shinnou because gary did. To me, it seems pointless for ash to really keep going on his journey if his main drive is Gary. (unless ther was another drive that i completely missed OoO) I wish the writers/animators would give us a little insight into ash's past or something so we know exactically why he wanted to be a pokemon trainer. and if it turns out that it was because gary said he wanted to, i wouldnt be surprised...
true, gary wasnt really that present in johto but we at least knew that he was going to show up sometime. and we definately knew for sure that ash would do everything in his power to reach up to gary's level.
with gary gone, ash didnt battle to his full extent. heck, his battles werent that interesting to watch. (they were but some of them seemed a little off to me)especially when ash was battling tyson. when grovyle was falling from the sky, 3 seasons ago ash would have told grovyle to use leaf blade on glyger and use the other pokemon as a cushion or something. (maybe not a cushion...ash would ask his pkmn to do that...)
but do you get what i mean? >.<

And then you get episodes like Enlighten Up - not a Gary episode but he was the whole reason Ash did that training.

Anyway, in the next episode, Shinji shows feelings for Ash:
2rr13xj.jpg

Eh, their relationship is the most interesting in the show right now, whether there is love or not.

Anyway, in the next episode, Shinji shows feelings for Ash
Are you sure that's not one of his snooty smiles?
Besides I dont know if I'd like Shinji liking Ash.... in the friendly way. It's not how I ship him with Ash. I kind of feel it's a sexual-only ship but then that's just me.
In cannon, I hope he doesn't. You see, being the selfish fangirl I am, I dont want him with any girl.

AG would have been a whole lot better if ash had someone to spare with. that on/off cool mature side of him in AG was very awesome to see but ash is only about 2/3 of himself with a rival.

They probably didn't give him another rival right away because he just beat Gary.

The whole reason Ash is even on this journey is because of Gary. He left all his pokemon because gary did the same thing. He goes to shinnou because gary did. To me, it seems pointless for ash to really keep going on his journey if his main drive is Gary. (unless ther was another drive that i completely missed OoO)

LOL, no it isn't. Get this Gary fanboyism out of your head, he's just a two-dimension rival who had no real importance in the anime. Sure, Ash decided to start fresh like Gary did for Hoenn, but the whole reason Ash goes on a journey is because its his goal, to become a Pokemon Master. What the hell does Gary have to do with anything? He's just Ash's first rival, his "departure" doesn't affect Ash in the slightest. Ash isn't going to stop training just because Gary isn't around anymore.

I wish the writers/animators would give us a little insight into ash's past or something so we know exactically why he wanted to be a pokemon trainer. and if it turns out that it was because gary said he wanted to, i wouldnt be surprised...

Where are you getting this from? Did you pull this fanfiction out of your head? Ash wanted to be a trainer because it interests HIM, not because Gary is some super all important character in the anime. Again, what is with this disturbing Gary fanboyism? Are you the kind of person that thinks Misty is going to return to the anime too? It wouldn't surprise me if you're one of those 1998 elitists.

true, gary wasnt really that present in johto but we at least knew that he was going to show up sometime. and we definately knew for sure that ash would do everything in his power to reach up to gary's level.
with gary gone, ash didnt battle to his full extent. heck, his battles werent that interesting to watch.

Ash caught up to Gary's level years ago, that's why he beat him in the Johto league. Ash in Hoenn had his strongest team yet of fully evolved Pokemon, and he was able to conquer the Battle Frontier, who are almost as strong as Elite members. He's a Battle Frontier champion, do you have any idea what you're talking about whatsoever?

but do you get what i mean? >.<

All I got from that was some deluded Gary fanboyism. I honestly couldn't read some of that without wondering if you were being serious.

But then again, this is Bulbagarden, so I suppose it shouldn't be surprising. Do you people all hang around here because you know that other Pokemon forums don't give a damn about 1998?

Scott85 said:
All I got from that was some deluded Gary fanboyism. I honestly couldn't read some of that without wondering if you were being serious.
You're right, it is annoying when people post completely idiotic things and thinking themselves correct. Hmm, I'm trying to think of a good example...

Scott said:
But then again, this is Bulbagarden, so I suppose it shouldn't be surprising. Do you people all hang around here because you know that other Pokemon forums don't give a damn about 1998?
Hey, there's one! ^^

You're right, it is annoying when people post completely idiotic things and thinking themselves correct. Hmm, I'm trying to think of a good example...

Hey, there's one! ^^

I know, Lil brother, because on this forum you can't honestly go a week without people saying that Misty or Gary are two godly characters in the anime that influence Ash and what goes on in it.

Gary has been gone for years now and was only used as a plot device to introduce Ash to Shinou, and Misty...should I even bother?

Neither Misty nor Gary have had any shred of importance on the show since Pocket Monsters ended, which was back in 2002. Why do people keep bringing these two characters up when they left the show years ago and aren't important factors in AG or D/P? Do people not understand that we're in 2007 and not back in 1998?

Last edited:
Neither Misty nor Gary have had any shred of importance on the show since Pocket Monsters ended, which was back in 2002. Why do people keep bringing these two characters up when they left the show years ago and aren't important factors in AG or D/P? Do people not understand that we're in 2007 and not back in 1998?

Since it's 2007 and not 2004, stop bringing up AG, since those characters don't have a shred of importance anymore either now.

Anyway, this is NOT on topic in regards to Shinji OR shipping. Get back on track, or it's closed. Do NOT continue beyond this post, at all. Make a new thread somewhere else, or shoot it to PMs, but not here.

I would like to note that "Gary is doing it" is a motivation for Ash - just see the episode I cited above.

But on topic...
Are you sure that's not one of his snooty smiles?
It doesn't look like it to me. Of course, we need further context but it looks like he may be having nicer thoughts about Ash. Though Ash's loss should stop things changing too drastically.
Besides I dont know if I'd like Shinji liking Ash.... in the friendly way. It's not how I ship him with Ash. I kind of feel it's a sexual-only ship but then that's just me.
The trouble is that they are very likely to become friends eventually. This could be the start of that process.
In cannon, I hope he doesn't. You see, being the selfish fangirl I am, I dont want him with any girl.
Ash is a boy. :p

I don't think there will be romance between Ash and Shinji but the interactions, if handled well, could make this a great rivalry. Hikari is showing ship potential in the preview but I'm waiting for the episode before coming to any conclusions there.

How do we know Shinji is smiling because Ash is doing something well?

For all we know, he could be smiling as Ash is losing the match.

This is also the first episode where Hikari interacts properly with Shinji, for at least a little bit, I guess this ep will also prove if that ship has any merit whatsoever.

Hikari/Shinji and Nozomi/Ash would be a nice pair of ships, imo.

Some Ikarishipping art:

hikariandsr1bl.jpg

The reason I don't like this pairing is it seems to be a repeat of May/Drew minus the roses. I really don't want to see another pairing like this after just coming off of AG.

I much prefer Appealshipping for Hikari, its much more appealing. (See pics in Appealshipping thread)

Oooh, that's real pwetty art.

I admit, if Shinji and Hikari ever displayed a scrap of Contestshippy-ishness (it's a word if I say so!!), I'd be all over that pairing. I'm clearly a lame sell-out betrayer of the fandom who doesn't care if something's a blatant rehash. ;)

If, for the sake of running with the purely hypothetical, Ikarishipping did end up becoming canon, I can see it being different from Contestshipping in that Hikari is more likely to be the one doing the chasing. Shinji would probably ignore her even if he liked her. Especially if he liked her, in fact. He probably thinks emotional attachments are a sign of weakness.

Last edited:
It was on someones photobucket, but I have no idea what site it came from.

Uh-oh:

hikari93.jpg

Hikari is going apeshit on Shinji, and Brock has to hold her back.

May/Drew did something like this back in his debut episode too. Anyone else getting a flashback of Misty from looking at this scene?

Could this be foreshadowing Hikari's future canon D/P ship?

Drew was being a jerk to May for most of his debut episode but I don't remember anything like that. 0_o

I am going with "Hikari doesn't like Shinji much" until something a little more ship-hinting appears.

Drew was being a jerk to May for most of his debut episode but I don't remember anything like that. 0_o

May got really angry at Drew and starting running towards him and Drew pulled the "talk to the hand" pose and stopped May in her tracks.

I thought I had a pic saved of that, but I don't. Eh...I'm sure Jo-Jo knows what scene I'm talking about, do you have a pic of it?

Age of consent in the Pokémon world, at worst, would be the same as the lowest in Japan...which is 13, with the age varying between that and 18. Regardless, it's still underage as far as we're all concerned. Seriously now Scott, when we talk about Shipping, while that sort of thing would obviously happen eventually, as far as we're concerned, none of us would think or want it to happen right now. There's a time and a place for thoughts along those lines, and in the regular shipping forum isn't one of them. You want to talk about underage kids doing each other, you can do it elsewhere.

Your jealous, arent you? Oh and P.S. You obviously spend WAY too much time with pokemon, if your going to defend may's virginity :p Here's a hint, go get a girlfriend and see what she's going through

BURN

Your jealous, arent you? Oh and P.S. You obviously spend WAY too much time with pokemon, if your going to defend may's virginity :p Here's a hint, go get a girlfriend and see what she's going through

BURN
...that made me laugh. :D

I'm actually liking Hikari/Shinji now. My main hope is that if it would be canon, they wouldn't rush into it like they did with ContestShipping. Whoa, wait, they rushed into ContestShipping? Yup. Drew had what, three apperances, when the whole "This is for Beautifly, right?" exchange popped up? I would prefer to wait until the end of DP plz.

I, of course, am basing all of this on vague screenshots and rushed conclusions and fully realize I'm typing gibberish. So how did I come to the conclusion that I like Hikari/Shinji?

He's looking down up her skirt in the pic Scott posted. That's why.

Personally, I think Ash, Garry, and Shinji will get REALLY drunk one night and... no need to go any further :p

Not that there's anything wrong with 3 men having fun

I'm actually liking Hikari/Shinji now. My main hope is that if it would be canon, they wouldn't rush into it like they did with ContestShipping. Whoa, wait, they rushed into ContestShipping? Yup. Drew had what, three apperances, when the whole "This is for Beautifly, right?" exchange popped up? I would prefer to wait until the end of DP plz.

Well, he gave her a rose and said it was for Beautifly in May's first Contest ep.

However May didn't tease him about it until the Grace Contest...which was about 10ish episodes later. I don't think they rushed into it though. May didn't even start blushing over Drew until the Hoenn GF, which was the end of Hoenn.

He's looking down up her skirt in the pic Scott posted. That's why.

Eh, it actually looks like Shinji thinks she's nuts. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom