• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

XY and animation quality

One thing I really appreciate about XY (and, to a lesser extent, Best Wishes) was that it has more of a consistent art style episode-to-episode. In the first three series you could almost always pick out who animated the episode by looking at the character models, but now (with the exception of Tamagawa episodes and some Iwane ones) they all look very similar.

The backgrounds/color palettes are also the best they've been (I remember that the SD Diamond and Pearl episodes has terrible backgrounds), although I do still miss the look of the hand-colored episodes.

So...who does the episodes, and what is their 'signature'? What do Tamagawa episodes and some Iwane episodes do that you dislike?

I admit to not being familiar with animator differences.

Ah, I wasn't very clear-- I do like the looks of the Tamagawa and Iwane episodes (they both draw the characters in specific ways that I like, it's especially noticeable in the eyes).

@PropellorYoshi1808, What is it that you consider so bad about being able to see all the different styles anyway? Surely, it's more fun to see more experimenting in the animation and more interesting images as part of that? Surely, if anything the uniformity is a bad thing about XY since it's not using the medium on animation to it's full advantage?

In fact, I think that this is pretty much why, despite all I said, before I'd still rank XY below DP in terms of animation. It would be nice if we saw a new Eureka face, and Serena often needs the animation to make her character shine.
Edit: Actually now I think about it, a lot of the complaints I've heard about XY Satoshi wouldn't exist if this was sorted. Also when was the last time anything new was done with Citron.

Last edited:
Episode #78 is faces galore for the Rockets. Serena's scene could have used better faces, though. She's one of the more plainly drawn girls in modern Japanese animation, I'm afraid. I wish Kouno Megumi could be scouted to work on this series, she could really liven Serena up.

The XY animation is clinically very good, probably the best in the whole series in terms of getting things correct. I can't think of a single episode which I would have preferred as a radio drama because the art is so bad (I can definitely think of a few of these for other series...) However...

The consistency is generated by a mix of two things: the use of a chief animation supervisor and assistant chief animation supervisor and a higher number of key animators. The chief animation supervisor role is there typically to smooth out the quirks of the regular animation supervisors. This leads to giving the series a homogenized look. I would say it's one of the worst things about a lot of modern series, to be honest. The role should be restrained only to correcting bad drawings, not interesting ones that just so happen to be off-model. Luckily this doesn't always happen with Iwane's episodes, like his recent Musashi-focus episode.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. The bads have become a hell of a lot less bad, but the good has also had its sheen taken off. In my opinion, the best animated episodes are from the original series when the art was sometimes totally off-the-wall wacky and fun (like the beauty school/whatever/Takeshi gets Rokon episode). But even in later series, as recent as the end of DP, I can remember some really stand-out episodes by Tamagawa. He has had a few episodes this series but they've been so bland that I've hardly been able to tell it's him.

I also strongly believe that changing their eyes in BW made all the faces look a bit dead - those weird eyes were Pokemon's legacy! The pupils just don't sit right with me :p

Here's a quote from an interview with Iwane Masaaki that I'm currently translating that I think is relevant:

Iwane Masaaki said:
Iwane: I believe the number of drawings we were allowed to use per episode up to Pocket Monsters Best Wishes (2010) was around the same as what other series were using at the time. But starting with Pocket Monsters XY (2013) we moved away from that limit. Now each episode uses about 20% to 30% more drawings than before.

I really like the battles as well, they are alot more epic than past ones. It also adds to the show when they show the trainer's face and his listed pokemon vs the other trainer and his pokemon

Here's a quote from an interview with Iwane Masaaki that I'm currently translating that I think is relevant:

Iwane Masaaki said:
Iwane: I believe the number of drawings we were allowed to use per episode up to Pocket Monsters Best Wishes (2010) was around the same as what other series were using at the time. But starting with Pocket Monsters XY (2013) we moved away from that limit. Now each episode uses about 20% to 30% more drawings than before.

Well, there we go. There's certainly more drawings being used now. The average episode uses about 3,000-4,000 drawings on other long-running series. This probably means the episodes at the lower end of the scale are using 3,600 drawings now. I wouldn't be surprised if drawings go up to 4,800 for gym battle episodes, like the battle with Citron. Of course, the effect there was even greater thanks to so many of the cuts being handled by Oohashi Aito.

Iwane Masaaki said:
I can't wait to see the finished translation Dogasu :) Any idea when it might be done by?

It has certainly taken a step up, ignoring the stock footage.

The thing is, there's always been stock footage. Always.

Most of us just didn't notice it because most of us weren't paying attention to that sort of thing ten, fifteen years ago.

The thing is, there's always been stock footage. Always.

Most of us just didn't notice it because most of us weren't paying attention to that sort of thing ten, fifteen years ago.

One of the most obvious offenders in the entire anime's run was in the OS when they'd use that clip of Ash throwing a Pokeball with his hat backwards even though all of the surrounding animation would have it facing forwards. Especially during Johto when they wouldn't even show the part where he turns it backwards but it just sort of is all of a sudden

A whole lot of average to bad animation teams and then there is Iwane who is way above everyone else... just as usual.

The use of BANK animation is a fine art. Episode Director Asada Yuuji and key animation Iwane Masa'aki proved this with their battles in Diamond & Pearl, especially the battle between Satoshi and Shinji at the Shin'ou League. Cuts were so heavily reused it saved time and drawings for the new cuts, like Goukazaru's final attack against Elekible. A strong episode director can do a whole lot with a whole little and those episodes definitely prove that.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom