• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Passerby Experiences

Invite to trade. She shows me a Smeargle nicknamed "SHAYMIN PLZ" holding Blastoise's stone for some reason.

I show her Shaymin. She offers a Kyogre. I show her that I already have one and cancel. Show Shaymin, she shows Deoxys, show her that I already have one. She shows a Gallade then a Flygon, show her that I already have one. She offers Phione, already have one, so she offers Kyogre again. Then Deoxys. You get where this is going?

Afterward she shows me a Poke named "Diancie plz" I tell her it can't be traded. "Hoopa plz" Not even possible. "Diancie plz". Can't be traded. "Hoopa plz" "Diancie plz" "SHAYMIN PLZ"

>deathplz

I don't really mind the people who try to trade you common pokémons or stuff that isn't that great. You can usually offer something of equivalent value, and it can be helpful if you just want to get some starters you don't have to complete your 'Dex or other Pokémon you may have passed up on along the way. There are pokémon that I don't care about that much so for me it doesn't matter if they're not shiny and not for competitive battling. I find it much worse when people go on the GTS and request rare pokémon for completely normal ones that you just have to advance in the game to be able to find.

I'm not online very often unless I'm trading with someone and most passersby have been nice, sending me O-Powers and stuff. There was an annoying one once though, who kept sending me trade requests when I was busy and he mostly wanted to trade pokémon from the early routes (and I had no idea what he even wanted in return).

I don't battle competitively, so I always decline battle requests, but I just get spammed with them over and over. It gets a little old -.-

Also, people who just beat the game or don't play often and ask for trades, then offer pokemon you can easily catch in game. I know they're probably not experienced in the competitive scene, but its still a waste of time.

The game's community shouldn't be restricted to people who are in the competitive scene or trying to collect rare pokémon. There are plenty of people who play this game, including adults who play it casually, and kids who probably care more for how cool/pretty a pokémon looks. If you want to trade only with people who are dedicated to the competitive scene or to collecting rares/shinies, it's easy to filter out everyone else.

I don't mind trading commonly found pokémon. Sometimes it's easier to ship away a spare or one I never use and in return get a new entry for my dex, especially if we're talking version exclusives. I don't care about every single pokémon, so there's plenty I just don't need to have with great stats or whatever.

I'm more annoyed by people who try to trade commonly found pokémon for legendaries... and don't get me started on the people who spam the GTS with impossible requests (like an evolved pokémon at level 1) to show off their own. From what I've heard, they do this just because but it's annoying when you're sorting through so many offers and requests.

I don't mind battle requests. I like challenges and it's pretty amusing to see various 6 vs 6 teams that people put together. I've battled someone with an Eeveelution team, and it was cool :) I also get to see an all shiny-team and stuff. Sure, I might lose a lot, but it's a pretty good way to see a lot of unique teams.

There was this one trainer, though (I can't remember if it was the Battle Spot, or a Passerby battle), and his (the avatar was male) shout out was complaining about DCs... using swear words. I battle him, and what does he have?

An Arceus. Using Roar of Time.

:/ you kinda deserved the DCs.

As for trades, I don't really mind them. I've seen people who offer reasonable trades mostly. I said this elsewhere, but when someone started offering me a shiny, I showed them my shiny Carvanha. They traded me a shiny Cyndaquil and deed was done. They might have expected an HA Carvanha... but a shiny for a shiny is a fair trade, right?

I came across a Passerby the other day whose shout-out was "Pokemon sucks." Dude, then why are you playing? :p

I think it's the best thing they've ever made

Just being challenged to random battles is awesome. Best was when someone did and then I chose 6 and they chose... 1.

Other than that... it's the same old people-sending-me-battle/trade-requests thing. This happens especially when I'm already in battle, and I tend to ignore them anyway xD

Yeah, I mainly seem to get them when already battling D:. None for 10 minutes, 5 in a 5 minute battle.

Last edited:
Also, people who just beat the game or don't play often and ask for trades, then offer pokemon you can easily catch in game. I know they're probably not experienced in the competitive scene, but its still a waste of time.

The game's community shouldn't be restricted to people who are in the competitive scene or trying to collect rare pokémon. There are plenty of people who play this game, including adults who play it casually, and kids who probably care more for how cool/pretty a pokémon looks. If you want to trade only with people who are dedicated to the competitive scene or to collecting rares/shinies, it's easy to filter out everyone else.

I don't mind trading commonly found pokémon. Sometimes it's easier to ship away a spare or one I never use and in return get a new entry for my dex, especially if we're talking version exclusives. I don't care about every single pokémon, so there's plenty I just don't need to have with great stats or whatever.

I sometimes trade stuff I've already got, especially when doing so with passerbys, because some may be having Hidden Abilities (and they can be checked unlike in the GTS), or may be Pokemon from overseas (thus registering non-English entries).

I just connected to the Internet, when I was greeted with "I'm a sexy redhead." >_>

Today I had some better experiences trading with strangers, managed to get some pokémon from older games that need to be imported into X&Y and even a couple of shinies.

I just find it annoying when someone asks you for a trade, then displays legendaries they obviously can't or won't trade for no real reason. Just to show off, I guess? What a waste of time.

I also hate people who ask you to trade, show you really common pokémon, and then everything you offer (no matter how much more valuable) they just answer with "nope". I even tried showing people like that shinies to see their reaction and it was the same thing.

I've even seen a couple of people of people who do both or who will then repeatedly send you similarly pointless requests.

Some dude kept pestering me with trade requests, and when I finally accepted he showed a shiny Gliscor. I offered him a level 3 Caterpie for pissing me off and he accepted the trade before taking his leave.

I'll never let this guy go, solely because its nickname is Gliswhore.

I went to some event and there was only ONE stand to buy lunch, so the queue was eternal. I had some bred Cyndaquil, so I put as a message "Cyndaquil 4 ramen". It worked. Well, I didn't get directly ramen, but someone behind me asked who was offering Cyndaquil, and allowed me to step into his place.

After that, I changed the message to "Cyndaquil 4 sex". It wasn't very effective... (just kidding)

I'm starting to be annoyed by the fact that as soon as I'm starting a trade with someone or an in-game friend asks me to trade, I get suddenly flooded with requests for battles and trades. I can't even begin to choose yes or no before I get a dozen more. It's annoying. >.<

As far as trades go, PSS passers-by have always been a big waste of time for me and I've stopped answering to them most of the time. Usually when I did accept I let them offer first and then offered something of a similar worth in exchange and they canceled. Same repeats for multiple cycles. Then there are those who flash their "any sinies" message fodder and offer crap. One person accepted a trade and cut off just as it was about to finish. Yeah, as unbelievable as it sounds, I'm better off getting what I want from GTS or Wonder Trades.

Of battles I don't know since I don't do those.

[09/05/2014 01:21:17] William: omg this guy on the pss
[09/05/2014 01:21:30] William: requested battle twice and trade FOUR Times and i cancelled every one
[09/05/2014 01:21:34] William: how is he not getting the hint

Basically my experiences with the PSS summed up.

At first I always kept the PSS offline, as I didn't want to trade or battle, but since I beat Nita in Super Singles, I love using this team against other people on the PSS.
Turns out it's prettty fun after all! After battles I usually send out O-powers when it was a good battle, and they sometimes give something in return as well. :)

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom