• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

your pokemon generation cut off date?

moinkz

Reaction score
i have been thinking, and i realized that most if not all people have a generation cut off date. by a generation cut off date i mean when a generation comes out and you don't like it, or you just don't think they will ever be real Pokemon. my cut off generation was generation 3 or sapphire and emerald and that stuff.
what is your cut off generation, i want to get some opinions on this subject.

and this is my first thread (here) so please dont hate just tell me to move it

Nah, I also don't have any Generation "cut-off date", if what you mean is "a Generation that I dislike from day one". I am also guessing you also mean to ask people if subsequent Generations are also disliked by them, in which case to me, is not the case.

Thanks for reading.

There are, as of now, 251 of your "real pokemon" and 548 of what you call "fake pokemon".

Don't like them? That's okay, but keep in mind it's not because of the pokemon/games themselves, it's because of yourself not being the audience anymore.

And that'd be what you call "generation cut-off": Basically growing out of the franchise itself, even if still cherishing the old games.

Not trying to offend nor anything, just saying that most people actively and continuously follow the franchise, and therefore don't have such.

And of course, each generation brings in new gamers that start with it. So even taking into account those who just stop liking the new games, these new players balance it out.

That said... I might be guilty of a bit of the opposite: I find myself enjoying the first generation less and less. Game design flaws I was oblivious to become more and more aparent to me, the more exotic and intriguing concepts of new pokemon make the simpler designs of the older ones relatively bland by comparision... and the adamant favoritism of some vocal fans kinda drives me away from it.
I do still appreciate things about it, though, specially since one thing about pokémon is that it never has left the older generations behind.

Last edited:
There are, as of now, 251 of your "real pokemon" and 548 of what you call "fake pokemon".

Wait... 251 + 548 = 799? When did loads of new pokemon ger revealed? What did I miss?! :eek:

Anyway, I don't have a generation cut off and I never will unless something really drastic happens (actually, if they introduce Triple types then I'm outta here).

I like pokemon how it is, and whether I dislike some of the pokemon isn't going to affect me playing the games, since out of ~650 creatures, I can't be expected to like them all. Gotta like 'em all!

Well, I didn't like gen 3 nearly as much as the others, but I wouldn't say it's a cut-off gen. There were still some things and Pokemon I liked from it.

I'd say that Generation 4 had the last Pokemon that actually made sense, and could be defined as something. Gen V just screams, "we're out of ideas!"

I agree with @Kelleo, I didn't enjoy gen III that much for some reason. I honestly don't know what it is, but that wasn't my cut off either. I love gen IV and V. To be honest IV and V are my favorites. I wouldn't care if they kept going up to 1000+ Pokemon. I know some people would disagree, but to me it would be awesome, not to mention it makes sense. I mean, Pokemon are kind of like the animals of the Pokemon world, and in the real world there aren't just a few hundred species. It would make sense for them to keep going. I mean not make thousands, but I honestly don't want them to stop anytime soon.

I'd say that Generation 4 had the last Pokemon that actually made sense, and could be defined as something. Gen V just screams, "we're out of ideas!"
I don't think they are out of ideas. There are bad ones in each gen, and I loved a lot of their ideas in gen V. I love the Vanilite line, but everyone else seems to think its dumb and they that have no good ideas left. I think a lot of the designs were great, there are very few I don't like though. *cough* Garbodor *cough* haha

I understand what you mean, since I used to feel the same way. I was out of the series for a number of years, and I came back after FRLG were released, but I really did not like RSE, and for the longest time I refused to accept them at all. I eventually began to accept the RSE pokemon after DP came, but I still wouldn't play the games, and I had felt the same way about DP's pokemon as well. I ended up getting Platinum, since I really wanted to play a new pokemon game (this was before HGSS were announced) and after giving it a chance I ended up liking it. Later on down the road I got a copy of Emerald, which I also rather enjoyed. I still prefer the originals (and their remakes) to some of the newer games, but I recognized how silly I was being by not giving the newer games a chance, and I'm very glad I was able to get past that. BW were the first new pokemon games that I actually looked forward to, rather than simply thinking that they would never be as good as the original games, and I really enjoyed being able to actually look forward to it.

I hope that you will get past your generational barriers, because being new doesn't mean that they are bad, and if given the chance, you may find that you rather like them.

I was very iffy on Gen. V for a while, but I got over it.
I don't have a cut-off gen; After all, I am a relatively new player! I've only been playing since December 2010. (Although I watched the show a lot when I was little, and still watch it on Pokémon.com from time to time, like I said before some time.)

I agree with @Kelleo, I didn't enjoy gen III that much for some reason. I honestly don't know what it is, but that wasn't my cut off either. I love gen IV and V. To be honest IV and V are my favorites. I wouldn't care if they kept going up to 1000+ Pokemon. I know some people would disagree, but to me it would be awesome, not to mention it makes sense. I mean, Pokemon are kind of like the animals of the Pokemon world, and in the real world there aren't just a few hundred species. It would make sense for them to keep going. I mean not make thousands, but I honestly don't want them to stop anytime soon.

I don't think they are out of ideas. There are bad ones in each gen, and I loved a lot of their ideas in gen V. I love the Vanilite line, but everyone else seems to think its dumb and they that have no good ideas left. I think a lot of the designs were great, there are very few I don't like though. *cough* Garbodor *cough* haha

This post all the way. Gen 4 and 5 are my favorites too and I also like the Vanillite line. Vanillite is cute and its evolutions are just really creative. I also agree Garbodor is pretty bad though. Trubbish is adorable, but Garbodor? ...Yeah, no.

First Vanillite= beast
second I don't have one either and I'm in the some bout as Infinity Mk-II as Gen I just seems less appealing to me now ( and no I'm not referring to graphics)

Wait... 251 + 548 = 799? When did loads of new pokemon ger revealed? What did I miss?! :eek:
Didn't you know? We are at Gen VI now, with 150 new pokémon!

Or apparently that was what I was thinking about. Derp, I'm an idiot.

Still, my point stands. Where you see "out of ideas" I see "they looking for more interesting things". Calling it "out of ideas" is a really shallow view on it. (And on everything. Saying things are out of ideas is like saying there's nothing new under the sun, which is completelly false, as there is far more to something than where does it come from)

Though I really don't understand all the hate Garbodor gets, and much less when you people are praising Vanillite? They are very similar in concept... (In fact, personally I find Garbodor the more interesting one. Vanillite doesn't seem to have much beyond being an ice cream cone, but then again, that's my view on it. You aren't supposed to like all pokémon, after all!)

I don't have one. Though I don't care for Gen V, I still consider every generation to be a "true" generation.

@Infinity Mk-II
I do like tubbish and trash is fitting for new york, but I've never used one so I can't say if beast or not.
relevant:
pokmon-remember-when-pokmon-designs-were-original.jpg

I don't have one, and probably won't any time soon. If anything, I think the pokemon designs get better and generally more fun and creative with every generation, and that's what keeps me so enamoured with the series.

I won't sugar-coat it, the cries of 'running out of ideas' are utter bullshit, plain and simple. Hell, the current gen has stuff like Simisage and Darmanitan, both of which are born from some genius examples of wordplay.

Last edited:
@Infinity Mk-II
I do like tubbish and trash is fitting for new york, but I've never used one so I can't say if beast or not.
relevant:

I'm kind of mad someone put Chandelure on that! I love Chandelure! Its one of my favorite new Pokemon. No one can say that Game Freak is running out of ideas.. I mean, look at the animals they could still use for Pokemon and other things as well. There are countless ideas out there. Like the new Pokemon-haters can do any better haha.

@Infinity Mk-II
relevant:

I'm kind of mad someone put Chandelure on that! I love Chandelure! Its one of my favorite new Pokemon. No one can say that Game Freak is running out of ideas.. I mean, look at the animals they could still use for Pokemon and other things as well. There are countless ideas out there. Like the new Pokemon-haters can do any better haha.

That's sarcasm, their showing that Gen Ideas were basic while gen V was more creative and were using more different ideas..

That's sarcasm, their showing that Gen Ideas were basic while gen V was more creative and were using more different ideas..

Ah, haha, oops.. I had a slow moment! Its been a long day. I guess in some aspects thats true, while it could be opposite in other aspects. There are terrible designs in gen I but theres some in all gens.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom