• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

RetroPokeFan's Random Pokémon Episode Blog

RetroPokeFan

Reaction score
Welcome to a new little BulbaBlog from me called RetroPokeFan's Random Pokémon Episode Blog where I review a particular episode from the Pokémon anime that has been selected carefully with a particular purpose in mind using Perchance's Random Pokémon Episode Generator.

Of course I say selected carefully because for all I know I might end up with a big pile of garbage but at the same time it might reward me with an episode I love to bits.

You just never know with these randomizers but that's easily the charm of it all. So come and join me as I delve into thousands of episodes of Ash and Pikachu's adventures (and maybe some from Liko and Roy if any pop up) and sort out the crap from the good in my own witty and amusing way.

The first episode that has been cherry picked from this generator is Grooming Furfrou which is Episode 8 of the XY series.

It is fairly amusing that I've made such a big introduction as there's actually quite little to talk about this one - it's your usual filler episode where the gang meets the COTD of the day, have a gander at what they're doing and then Team Rocket show up, they battle them and send them blasting off and then they say farewell to said COTD and head off to their next destination.

This description fits this episode perfectly to a tee but the one bit that is particularly cool is when Pikachu gets sprayed by ink which leaves him unable to see what's happening during the battle.

In Episode 3 of the original Kanto era when a similar event happened this basically forced Pikachu out of the battle leaving Ash to use another one of his Pokémon, but here Pikachu actually continues battling Team Rocket's Pokémon with his eyes shut and it's almost as if he and Ash are one in a way and shows just how far they've both come.

It's just the little things like that which makes me smile. And I suppose it makes Ash look cooler which is what they seemed to be doing for the Kalos era of the anime.

3/5
"I love me those Ash and Pikachu moments."

1000001460.png

Silly girl, you know you can't beat that trap up with a stick.

Last edited:
Today's episode the generator has picked is Big Sky, Small Fry! which is Episode 33 of Sun and Moon.

Or as I like to call it "the one where Ash walked off the set of a Saturday morning cartoon" as he actually is the weakest part of the episode as well as the pacing too. Everything is just going by way too quickly and Ash's antics feel too zany even for Sun and Moon's humour standards.

I get that they wanted to make Ash a bit more comedical than how he was before but this is just way too much even for my tastes. It's like a Nickelodeon cartoon gone wrong.

Luckily though Lana is here to save the day and she easily gets some of the best moments in the episode when going up against Wishiwashi and by the end gets a Z-ring of her own.

By the end of this episode, I very much had the same sort of reaction as Pikachu himself.

2/5
1000001459.jpg

Today's episode the generator has picked is Mantine Overboard which is Episode 5 of Johto League Champions.

A nice little episode this is, not one of the best but is at least a comfy sort of episode I can get through unlike most of the others in this season. Also it has Pikachu in a scuba diving costume.

1715072978948.png
Look at how cute he is with his scuba diving stuff, what's not to like really?

3/5

Today's episode the generator has picked is Chasing Memories, Creating Dreams! which is Episode 127 of Sun & Moon.
This is a great one for both Lillie and Gladion as not only do we get to see more of their father Mohn which sets the stage for them eventually heading out to find him by the end of the show but also Gladion reunites with Mohn's Zoroark in one of the most touching moments.

If there's one thing that Sun and Moon is fantastic with, it's those more emotional parts and when this show delivers, it really does deliver.

Oh and of course Professor Kukui announces the Alola League which gets everybody all fired up and raring to go. Luckily they don't have to wait too long as the league begins next episode but with this being a Random Episode Generator, who knows when we'll make it to the League?

Heck, we might even land in the middle or the end.

1715371651609.png

Gladion having a Back to the Future moment.

4/5

Today's episode the generator has picked is Pacifidog Jam which is Episode 116 of the Advanced era.

It's our first look at a Pokémon Contest episode on this blog but one where we've landed right in the middle of it all (Part Two of the Pacifidlog Contest) which works much in the same way as skipping the first half of a book and just going straight to the half-way point.

It's not the most memorable of May's contest outings but it's one that does provide some fun Team Rocket moments notably when Meowth and Jessie join the contest and Meowth's disguises work just about as well as you'd expect... in his usual crappy fashion.

Also it seems there's something up with her COTD rival Erica being jealous and all during the start of this episode so I guess we'll have to find out why when we get to the last episode before this one.

1715460644873.png

Truly worthy of a thousand awards indeed.

3/5

Today's episode the generator has picked is To Train, or Not To Train! which is Episode 49 of Journeys.

This is where things massively start to change up for Chloe since she only had Yamper for company up until this point. Introducing.... another Eevee because apparently most of the female companions are required to have one since XY.

See, their contract even says so. And they don't even have contracts.

And while it's cute with the first few episodes, little did we unsuspecting fools realise just how little both of them would accomplish by the end. Like yeah, they met a bunch of different people with Eeveelutions but apparently the staff thought that was all that was needed and thus yet again we ended up getting another Eevee with wasted potential.

And you wanna know just how wasted? They couldn't be arsed to even have it Gigantamax unlike with Pikachu because Journeys is apparently allergic to anything Galar related.

Anyway little rant aside, despite this obvious problem later down the road it's not a bad way to introduce Eevee to Chloe's life and it's still at least watchable compared to a lot of other episodes from the Ultimate Journeys season.

1715616433543.png

What a cute duo, wouldn't it be a real shame if they were to do nothing with them huh?

3/5

Today's episode the generator has picked is Turning Over a Nuzleaf which is Episode 26 of Advanced.

It's one of those "Pokémon get separated from their trainers and must make it back" kind of episodes and it's not a particularly interesting one at that complete with Yusaku Takeda's boring and dull style where the characters only ever have about three expressions at best.

Painfully dull stuff... aside from Corphish. Corphish gets all the best bits.

1715770283607.png

Nuzleaf can only help but admire seeing the others get turned into unidentifiable blobs.

2/5

Last edited:
Today's episode the generator has picked is Survival of the Striaton Gym! which is Episode 43 of Adventures in Unova and Beyond.

I really do like this one as it's an episode that shows off some good character development for Cilan (even though he'll be leaving by the next episode) as well as his other bros Chili and Cress as he attempts to save their gym from being taken by Morana.

Erica Schroeder really delivers in this one as her Morana sounds perfectly uncaring and arrogant and Lucien Dodge is great as Chili as well (especially when he gets all flustered in a flashback) in the character's last appearance too. A good way to cap things off for our Striaton gym trio.

1715976679789.png

Chili plays the "OBJECTION!" card on Morana.

3.5/5

Back
Top Bottom