• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Beedrill used Draw!

I tried some foreshortening practice, with mixed results.
1706491655877.jpeg

I wanted to practice more glow effects and @The Traveller suggested these fellas...
1707512145791.jpeg

I tend to design characters in pencil, think I know their color scheme, then do color artwork and realize how many parts I actually need to pick colors for :enzap: . That's what happened to poor Hemlock (human) and Swish (robot) here. I'm pretty happy with how the color schemes turned out, though. Less happy with the glow trail. It's ok, but I might want to redo that layer someday...

I also wanted to see if I could do static/glitchy effects, which lead to this...
1707512453807.jpeg

This is probably the most layers I've ever done in one piece...I wanted the static effects on Analog (back) but not Mori (front) so all their lines, base color, and shading layers were separate, resulting in nearly twice as many layers as usual. It was only 8 layers overall, but it felt almost overwhelming to me, haha. Lots of respect for people who can use layers well; my brain apparently does not work that way.

I also tried cell-shading here, as opposed to the blended/brushy shading on Hemlock and Swish. I can't decide which looks better, so I'm very inconsistent in my digital style. I'll keep practicing both, I guess, and maybe I'll get better at one over the other...or maybe I'll just alternate forever :enzap:

Working on some Pokejinkas, but they're taking a while, so...here's more OC doodles.
1711768297494.jpeg

Me: I drew him in color, but I still haven't technically done his color scheme since I did the black-and-white effect on him. I think his outfit is naturally pretty monochrome, though.
The Traveler (my sister): Really? I was picturing him in red.
(One slightly-paraphrased quote from the Marx Brothers later, you have the above.)
1711768748234.jpeg

(A bit of context: This fella (Vesper) is from a hive society, where everyone is born into roles. And it's currently being used as a factory for some VERY bad purposes by an outside entity. Vesper's deliberately unstable as a form of resistance.)
1711769545732.jpeg

Part of Vesper's theming is "neon", so when I was designing him, I didn't feel like I could nail down his vibe in just pencil. So I tried this. I think it helped.

Art Post: Not-my-usual-medium edition...

I got some Hallmark ornaments on deep discount clearance and did some repaints (credits to the base ornament artist included inside the spoilers)
My repaint:
1714234179108.jpeg

Base Ornament: Brilliant Butterflies 2023 (7th in Series) by Terri Steiger
1714234283131.jpeg

I based the colors on the mourning cloak butterfly, because the pattern divisions on the ornament were close enough to the species to fudge it, and because it was a good excuse to use the pretty bronze and sapphire metallic paints.
1714234409647.jpeg
1714234564556.jpeg

Base Ornament: Syrax (House of the Dragon) by Orville Wilson
1714234710815.jpeg

I wanted to do a night sky dragon and I think it turned out ok...? My sister said it reminded her of a planetarium, so I guess I at least got the right effect. I definitely prefer my colors to the original. No offense to the artist whatsoever--the sculpting on the wings is fantastic, and he did a good job with the property he had to work with--but why did whoever originally made dragon for the show decide the awesome flying beast should be one boring color? It isn't just this one dragon either; I googled "Game of Thrones dragons" and they're all brown or gray (with maybe one white). Any other color on them looks to be from lighting effects through the wing membrane. Why? Is it because it's a dark fantasy, so the dragons have to be "realistic"? Stripes and spots exist in real life, so why not at least add patterning? Heck, it would arguably be MORE realistic to have the underside of the wings be blue-gray, so it would be camouflaged to prey looking up as it flies through the sky! But noooo, this is a grim world, so they must all be unbroken earth tones, apparently.
(This has been a rant from a dragon lover with strong opinions on dragon design who does not like Game of Thrones. No hate to fans of Game of Thrones or related properties is intended. All rights reserved.)
I also did a li'l clay sculpture recently.
1714236325420.jpeg

I was lucky to be in the totality path of the recent American eclipse. I briefly saw the eclipsed sun during totality and it looked like a blueish-white ring of fire...that inspired the colors on this little guy.

Back
Top Bottom