• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Electric Tales of Pikachu

Digi-Dragon

Born-Again Poke-Fanatic
Reaction score
All right, so I read some of The Electric Tales of Pikachu manga way back when I was little and I was thinking of picking up the whole series. I have the money and such, but ... I was wondering if you guys think it's worth it. I mean, I want to read it, but I think my money would be better spent on games and such, or going towards my "get a DS" fund. Basically, is the manga good enough so that I should run out and buy it, or should I wait until after I've settled in with the DS and various Poke-games for said system?

I really enjoyed them as a young teen. They are edited for content, of course, but ithey arent changes I really disagree with, gotta say *laugh*. Luckily, by now you should be able to get all four volumes for just a few dollars secondhand on amazon or ebay! I've even seen them in dollar stores occasionally. I don't think your DS account will be taking a hit at all to get a few paperbacks.

I really enjoyed them as a young teen. They are edited for content, of course, but ithey arent changes I really disagree with, gotta say *laugh*. Luckily, by now you should be able to get all four volumes for just a few dollars secondhand on amazon or ebay! I've even seen them in dollar stores occasionally. I don't think your DS account will be taking a hit at all to get a few paperbacks.

The big reason I'm asking is I can't order things via the internet. 1, I'm not old enough to do so on my own, and 2, my parents have told me we can't at the moment (not that they aren't open to the idea, though). I'd have to order them via my local bookstore and ... they'd all be around $11, meaning $44 for the entire set. The largest factor in this is that I usually get a ton of book-money in the form of gift cards for my birthday, which is in a little over a month (I really should've mentioned that first post). It's basically get them now and hope I get money for my DS and games fund, or wait and get them later when I have more money.

I suppose I could always order them and just wait and see. It takes time for them to come in anway.

They're pretty good, but I'd wait until you get book money, because they're not that good. Pokemon Adventures is better, despite it's abrupt ending.

They're pretty good, but I'd wait until you get book money, because they're not that good. Pokemon Adventures is better, despite it's abrupt ending.

Pokemon Adventures? Is that the same as Pokemon Special, or is it something else?

Same as Special, Adventures is the name Viz gave it. It's flipped and ends after volume 7, but I've never heard any complaints about the translation.

Yeah, I've read part of Pokemon Adventures and I really liked it, but I don't want to become an avid reader until I can import the Singapore version so I can read what happens after volume seven (meaning in a few years).

almost 9 years, I still don't understand why the fuck NoA changed Green to Blue.

notice I said "NoA", as in why in god's name did Nintendo of America cause the whole color mix-up with the game versions (NOT the manga characters) in the first place?

I like this one better then Special (it seems way to forced at times), and enjoyed it's unique style. Wish he continued it...

yeah, I too prefer this more than Special. As good as Special is, you're right that it is a bit forced (aside from adapting the games, it seems to try bringing up how certain moves and such work several times for the hell of it, among other things). Given, Dengeki just seems to adapt anime storylines, but it still seems pretty free-style. And I must say that Ono's created what could be my favorite portrayal of the Pokemon world. The futuristic scenery, the acknowledgment of school absences and other bits of realism, sexy gi... er... nifty tidbits like a holographic Pokemon Zukan and Shion Town resembling ancient ruins, and probably the most realistic Pokemon designs that don't completely stray away from the franchises art style (like I've seen some fan artists do).

BTW, I've got some good news: I just submitted a translation for the first volume. Expect to be able to read it uncut sometime in the future. ^^

Last edited:
Where exactly would we be able to read this uncut version *totally out of the loop*?

I much prefer Special/Adventure to for the storytelling, but I think Ono's version of Pokemon is just more entertaining and amusing.

I mean, it has Gary begging his sister to bathe with him to make Ash jealous. Hilarity.

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom